Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,102 members, 7,818,294 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? (44339 Views)

JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right / WAEC's Response To NGO Seeking To Sponsor Best Students / A Lecturer's Epic Response To A Student.(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Joekole: 10:02am On Aug 21, 2015
Sijo01:
Question : How do you do?
Answer: I do, how do you do too
I got to know this way back in Lokoja, Kogi State during my NYSC. There was this radio phone in programme where gbadons were corrected.

What will be the reply after the " I do, how do you do too"
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Nobody: 10:04am On Aug 21, 2015
lampardizik:
Hello Nairalanders
so yesterday i learnt that the correct response to "how do you do?" is "how do you do".
it made no sense to me because i thought the logical response would be "fine" or "good" or stuffs like that,that is why i have brought this to NL to clarify. So professors in the house,let us know which is the correct response to "How Do You Do?".
"fine" or "how do you do"

Lolz, my brother, you beat me to this. Actually, the correct response to the question is still How Do You Do? I was made to understand this when I was in JSS3, a visiting teacher who was a Prof in Ahmadu Bello University, English Department and a friend to my then Sec School director came to my class and we stood up to greet him. He then asked us 'How do you do?' and we all replied in chorus with 'Fine, thank you sir' but the next sentence that came out from his mouth was 'Good, but that's a wrong response'. In awe, we asked what the right response was and he replied with 'The right response is How do you do?'.

Surprised!! We asked him why and his reply was

“How do you do?” is usually a formal greeting used on d first occasion of meeting or introduction. It is often accompanied by shaking hands or nodding heads, sometimes even outright bowing.

It is not meant as a question and an answer is not expected.
The reply “How do you do?” is appropriate.

That was his explanation to the answer.

But after careful study, I found out dat d tone of dis question is not the same as “How are you,” which is more casual and used as a daily greeting by strangers, acquaintances, & close friends alike. A polite but vague, and usually positive, answer is generally expected along with a reciprocating question. Appropriate replies to a stranger or acquaintance may be “Fine, and how are you?” or “Very well, thank you. And you?”

Well, lampardizik, I'll suggest you watch the movie 'Mind your language'. A very funny movie but you will get to learn a lot on how to answer this kind of question.
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Sijo01(f): 10:05am On Aug 21, 2015
Joekole:

What will be the reply after the " I do, how do you do too"

Continue with your gist of course. Or you wanna spend the whole day on greetings cheesy
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 21, 2015
Atlantian:
I do not respond to that question, I always feel its intrusive. I simply shake my head nonchalantly.
Wow really? Isn't it just like the more polite version of 'what's up?' Meaning that a legitimate answer isn't expected, you're not supposed to actually say how you're doing just supposed to give a generic 'I'm fine'. So what do you find intrusive there if you don't mind me asking grin
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by HDee(m): 10:14am On Aug 21, 2015
now you want to start another problem, what is the meaning of this??
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by femi4: 10:22am On Aug 21, 2015
Sijo01:
Question : How do you do?
Answer: I do, how do you do too
I got to know this way back in Lokoja, Kogi State during my NYSC. There was this radio phone in programme where gbadons were corrected.
Wrong! Incomplete sentence: I do.....

Correct response is "How do you do?" and it has been like that since 19AD
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by zicky(m): 10:24am On Aug 21, 2015
Is dis making sense John : hw do u do? Obi: hw do u do ? John respond again: hw do u do? Obi: hw do u do? .... Continue till one person tire

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Originalsly: 10:25am On Aug 21, 2015
Hmmm...the response depends on location and nationality. As a Nigerian in Nigeria to a Nigerian... stick to tradition...reply with question...How do you do?.....any other place or nationality involved...the response should be "fine/fine thank you"... (thank you for showing interest on how I am doing). But even if you not doing well the answer should just be fine!
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Sijo01(f): 10:27am On Aug 21, 2015
femi4:
Wrong! Incomplete sentence: I do.....

Correct response is "How do you do?" and it has been like that since 19AD

Why did you choose to ignore the 'how do you do too' after the I do?
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by lampardizik(m): 10:30am On Aug 21, 2015
olayoungz:

Lolz, my brother, you beat me to this. Actually, the correct response to the question is still How Do You Do? I was made to understand this when I was in JSS3, a visiting teacher who was a Prof in Ahmadu Bello University, English Department and a friend to my then Sec School director came to my class and we stood up to greet him. He then asked us 'How do you do?' and we all replied in chorus with 'Fine, thank you sir' but the next sentence that came out from his mouth was 'Good, but that's a wrong response'. In awe, we asked what the right response was and he replied with 'The right response is How do you do?'.

Surprised!! We asked him why and his reply was

“How do you do?” is usually a formal greeting used on d first occasion of meeting or introduction. It is often accompanied by shaking hands or nodding heads, sometimes even outright bowing.

It is not meant as a question and an answer is not expected.
The reply “How do you do?” is appropriate.

That was his explanation to the answer.

But after careful study, I found out dat d tone of dis question is not the same as “How are you,” which is more casual and used as a daily greeting by strangers, acquaintances, & close friends alike. A polite but vague, and usually positive, answer is generally expected along with a reciprocating question. Appropriate replies to a stranger or acquaintance may be “Fine, and how are you?” or “Very well, thank you. And you?”

Well, lampardizik, I'll suggest you watch the movie 'Mind your language'. A very funny movie but you will get to learn a lot on how to answer this kind of question.

Well thanks,I also learnt that it's only the Brits that uses this...Americans just say fine and ask back

Fuadx1:
Yes, that was how we were tought in the secondary school "how do you do" but most at times people go with the common mistake of "am doing fine"

omo which secondary school you go,cos the one wey go na fine I dey hear from we teachers oo

menxer:

It depends on who is asking or where you are.
The response you cited is the standard British/American English, but in standard Naija English, it's different. grin

It can be anything from "I dey tight , I am doing great, am good, just fine, I gallant, I am fine, not bad as u thought/think", etc. grin

hahah...but we were colonized by the Brits

Fuadx1:
[/quote]

gringrin

[quote author=cherylsmith post=37175503]
I'm telling you. That's why I used quotation marks.

Thanks gringrin
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by freecocoa(f): 10:32am On Aug 21, 2015
simplynola:
No, no be me do you. That's the correct answer
I dey tell you.grin
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by abacusCm(m): 10:33am On Aug 21, 2015
lampardizik:
Hello Nairalanders
so yesterday i learnt that the correct response to "how do you do?" is "how do you do".
it made no sense to me because i thought the logical response would be "fine" or "good" or stuffs like that,that is why i have brought this to NL to clarify. So professors in the house,let us know which is the correct response to "How Do You Do?".
"fine" or "how do you do"
the correct response is "on bed" or "on rug"
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by femi4: 10:34am On Aug 21, 2015
Sijo01:

Why did you choose to ignore the 'how do you do too' after the I do?
cos the question is not meant to be answerd. Its like asking why pie is 3.142?

The only known and acceptable response to "how do you do?" is "how do you do?"

No form of modification is allowed
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by freecocoa(f): 10:36am On Aug 21, 2015
But seriously though, this oyinbo people sef, why ask someone a question you don't want an answer to?

It's not like people really use that phrase anymore btw.
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by lampardizik(m): 10:37am On Aug 21, 2015
abacusCm:
the correct response is "on bed" or "on rug"

oya clap for yourself gringringrin
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Taiwo20(m): 10:39am On Aug 21, 2015
ladyF:
I do fine?
It's [size=20pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin
''I do missionary'' should be the answer
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by lampardizik(m): 10:39am On Aug 21, 2015
freecocoa:
But seriously though, this oyinbo people sef, why ask someone a question you don't want an answer to?

It's not like people really use that phrase anymore btw.

Lol,that's what they call rhetoric question,in this case the statement is just phatic and true things have changed and is changing everyday
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by lampardizik(m): 10:40am On Aug 21, 2015
Taiwo20:

''I do missionary'' should be the answer

missionary ke
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by rattlesnake(m): 10:46am On Aug 21, 2015
ladyF:
I do fine?

It's [size=20pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin
fool
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by antiboko(m): 10:46am On Aug 21, 2015
HOW DO U DO? THEN RESPOND WITH HOW DO U DO?
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Phonetikkks: 10:46am On Aug 21, 2015
John: Hello Paul

Paul: Hey John, been a while, how do you do?

John: Not bad at all, you?

Paul: Quite good myself, thanks.
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by simplynola(m): 10:47am On Aug 21, 2015
freecocoa:
I dey tell you.grin

grin
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by flipflop(f): 10:50am On Aug 21, 2015
The best reply to "how do you do?" Is "Very well, thank you"

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by rotexteymie(f): 10:51am On Aug 21, 2015
Cephas0009:
"Gbogbo wa la dudu ni nigeria"---- Best ans since time memorial grin
Lmao grin
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Middlefinger1: 10:52am On Aug 21, 2015
Lampardizik: Hello Mr middlefinger.
Middlefinger: Hi.
Lampardizik: How do you do?
Middlefinger: I do from behind and you?
That's how we roll.
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Sijo01(f): 10:55am On Aug 21, 2015
femi4:
cos the question is not meant to be answerd. Its like asking why pie is 3.142?

The only known and acceptable response to "how do you do?" is "how do you do?"

No form of modification is allowed

That is what you were taught. Using it is allowed Just as i am allowed to use it the way I was taught. Interference from you is not welcome.
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Mekzmoney(m): 10:58am On Aug 21, 2015
Did he take any weed op?
How can u ans "how do u do" with "how do u do"

D answer shud be.... E.g.....

Op: how do u do?
Me: I'm doinig good.
Me: And how do u do?
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by femi4: 10:58am On Aug 21, 2015
Sijo01:

That is what you were taught. Using it is allowed Just as i am allowed to use it the way I was taught. Interference from you is not welcome.
Suit yourself...Mo mo pe o stubborn gan!
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by lampardizik(m): 10:58am On Aug 21, 2015
bunmioguns:
How do you do?
The correct response is

Gbogbo wa la dudu ni naijiria
grin

E ka bo ooo E try gan ni cheesycheesygrin
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by donte2112: 10:58am On Aug 21, 2015
The response to "how do you do" is "how do you do"
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by lampardizik(m): 11:02am On Aug 21, 2015
Middlefinger1:
Lampardizik: Hello Mr middlefinger. Middlefinger: Hi. Lampardizik: How do you do? Middlefinger: I do from behind and you? That's how we roll.

I do anyhow lol
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by eaglevirus: 11:06am On Aug 21, 2015
The answer to this Fckn question cost me a place in a Christmas school drama in ma nusery school. They said the correct answer is "And how do you do?".
Whosoever asks you that question is not concerned about your well being.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FCT Teachers Chase Out Pupils From Classrooms (Photos) / How You Study When You have a Ph.D in Reading / Protest: UNIBEN Students Seize CBN Bullion Van, Army Vehicle (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.