Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,380 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:47 AM

Igbos And Lagos Economy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos And Lagos Economy (8694 Views)

A 5-Mile Island Built to Save Lagos’s Economy Has a Fatal Design Flaw / Lagos Economy To Grow Bigger Than The Rest Of Nigeria – The Atlantic / Lagos Economy Bigger Than Kenya And Cote D Ivoire, Now Oil Has Come!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos And Lagos Economy by ibrahimdoc: 8:05am On Aug 21, 2015
If the igbos happen to get their Biafra, how is it going to affect the economy of lagos? being the highest importer in the country and are paying the highest tax in custom duty, how will this affect the lagos Economy? Some yorubas say they won't feel it, while the igbos say that lagos will be like a grave yard..For me, I think Lagos will feel it in no small measure...The reason multi national companies troop into lagos is because of the population and when lagos is suddenly cut into almost half, what do you think that will happen? Your unbiased contribution will be appreciated..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by Ugomba(m): 8:06am On Aug 21, 2015
@op. Food don set for E-tribal warriors.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by ibrahimdoc: 8:11am On Aug 21, 2015
Ugomba:
@op. Food don set for E-tribal warriors.

But what is your own view, please don't be sentimental..

2 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by Pavore9: 8:11am On Aug 21, 2015
They will be replaced as no one is irreplaceable.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by kettykings: 8:23am On Aug 21, 2015
A large percentage of the population of Lagos leaving Lagos would result in diminishing returns for all businesses but Lagos would recover as more northerners and middle belters come to fill the gap

12 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by Ugomba(m): 8:23am On Aug 21, 2015
ibrahimdoc:

But what is your own view, please don't be sentimental..
Igbos are very important in the Lagos economy.. In terms of Importing and Exporting in the ports, Tax paying, SME Controlling, their Industries and Companies in terms of Job creations, Businesses, Market Controlling..
The Igbo Enterprenuers should consider my Asaba for investments..

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by Heromaniaa: 8:26am On Aug 21, 2015
wherever the igbos go they go with their market. Lagos will be the roadside retail and omonile hub of Africa should the Igbos give up on Nigeria.

24 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by shogz89: 8:27am On Aug 21, 2015
kettykings:
A large percentage of the population of Lagos leaving Lagos would result in diminishing returns for all businesses but Lagos would recover as more northerners and middle belters come to fill the gap
many tribes are leaving in lagos, one tribe leaving doesn't really mean it's a large percentage

8 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by ibrahimdoc: 8:49am On Aug 21, 2015
shogz89:
many tribes are leaving in lagos, one tribe leaving doesn't really mean it's a large percentage

Igbos are very big, apart from Yoruba, igbos are bigger than other tribes put together in Lagos.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by OZAOEKPE(f): 8:52am On Aug 21, 2015
What is igbo?

2 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by 9jii(m): 8:57am On Aug 21, 2015
IF this IF that bunch of ungrateful lying parasites.
In war or in politics the yorubas for foreseen the failures
And Can't be forced to ally with them.
You can cry all you want.

4 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by 9jii(m): 9:02am On Aug 21, 2015
ibrahimdoc:
If the igbos happen to get their Biafra, how is it going to affect the economy of lagos? being the highest importer in the country and are paying the highest tax in custom duty, how will this affect the lagos Economy? Some yorubas say they won't feel it, while the igbos say that lagos will be like a grave yard..For me, I think Lagos will feel it in no small measure...The reason multi national companies troop into lagos is because of the population and when lagos is suddenly cut into almost half, what do you think that will happen? Your unbiased contribution will be appreciated..
What will happen to the Igbos for losing their market?
More than 70% of their imports finds its way to the rest of Nigeria.

Igbos leaving will only bring an opportunity to many nigerians into expanding their import and export biz.

11 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by 9jii(m): 9:04am On Aug 21, 2015
Ugomba:
Igbos are very important in the Lagos economy.. In terms of Importing and Exporting in the ports, Tax paying, SME Controlling, their Industries and Companies in terms of Job creations, Businesses, Market Controlling..
The Igbo Enterprenuers should consider my Asaba for investments..
If leaving is even a tiny bit possible igbos will have left since.
the rest of Nigerians will be bless with the opportunity of replacing all your legal biz.

6 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by phyllosilicate(m): 9:12am On Aug 21, 2015
When Igbos left during the civil war how did it, affect the economy of lagos?

17 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by backtosender: 9:15am On Aug 21, 2015
BIAFRA Best country Beautiful people Wise people from the East

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by obailala(m): 9:39am On Aug 21, 2015
ibrahimdoc:
Do not be misled by what you see and read online, no comfortable Igbo man is willing to risk his massive investments scattered all over Nigeria for a secession today.

The present agitators for Biafra today are mainly the Igbos from the lowest cadre of society, i.e. the never-do-wells and students who are still spoon-fed by their parents.

Even with what's happening in Borno today, we still have thousands of Igbos who reside there. No matter what happens in Nigeria today, the Igbos are not leaving Lagos for anywhere.

9 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by IGBOSON1: 9:54am On Aug 21, 2015
What spurs Lagos on is contributions from all ethnic groups in Nigeria and not just Igbo or Yoruba! The issue here is that Lagos would lose some economic activity in the short term to other coastal cities in the Niger Delta like Uyo and Port Harcourt, and others like Enugu and Onitsha; but, as has been stated earlier, this void would soon be filled by Northerners!

Another key thing to note also is that the economic survival of Lagos would further depend on the attitude of the Yoruba to the remaining ethnic groups and the few remaining Igbo, as well as if another Republic arises from the Niger Delta or if the ethnic groups in said Niger Delta elect to leave with Ndigbo! If words gets around that -for whatever reason- the locals are intolerant, then this would further exacerbate the issue for Lagos and coastal cities in the Niger Delta would further benefit!

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by OfoIgbo: 10:26am On Aug 21, 2015
I doubt the establishment of Biafra will cause Igbos to leave Lagos. They will however, be seen as foreigners living in another country, so Lagos is definitely safe from these gloomy economic predictions.

However, if to spite the Igbos, the Yoruba authorities cause the Igbos to leave Lagos
1. It will cause an accelerated response in the establishment of up to 3 seaports in Biafra most probably at Calabar, Akwaibom, and Porthacourt and possibly one at Bayelsa and inland one at Oguta lake
2.More Igbo Lagosians will relocate to Biafra taking advantage of the influx of people to establish businesses with ready made customers
3. Oil and gas being piped from Biafra to Lagos will seize overnight
4.The depletion of innovative and business minded, tax-paying Igbos with disposable cash from Lagos will drastically reduce the business-friendliness of Lagos.
5. Lagos will take in a horde of less skilled and extremely dependent individuals from the North, thus causing immense stress to Lagos finances and her ability to maintain amenities e.t.c.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 21, 2015
Lagos was Lagos before the ibos and Lagos will remain Lagos after the Ibos.
Oja oyingbo o mo pe enikan o wa.

18 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by T8ksy(m): 10:31am On Aug 21, 2015
IGBOSON1:

Another key thing to note also is that the economic survival of Lagos would further depend on the attitude of the Yoruba to the remaining ethnic groups and the few remaining Igbo, as well as if another Republic arises from the Niger Delta or if the ethnic groups in said Niger Delta elect to leave with Ndigbo! If words gets around that -for whatever reason- the locals are intolerant, then this would further exacerbate the issue for Lagos and coastal cities in the Niger Delta would further benefit!

And why would any ibo stay behind in Lagos when their biafra dream has finally been actualised?

In any case, we will deport any remaining ibos in lagos as we know them now to be our enemy.

@ second bolded above.................and am sure there will be no prize for accurately guessing where such misinformation will emanate from?

Lastly, no ethnic group with a modicum of sanity will opt to go with you greedy, covetous and downright impish guys, rather they will go it

alone.

10 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by Nobody: 10:32am On Aug 21, 2015
OfoIgbo:
I doubt the establishment of Biafra will cause Igbos to leave Lagos. They will however, be seen as foreigners living in another country, so Lagos is definitely safe from these gloomy economic predictions.

However, if to spite the Igbos, the Yoruba authorities cause the Igbos to leave Lagos
1. It will cause an accelerated response in the establishment of up to 3 seaports in Biafra most probably at Calabar, Akwaibom, and Porthacourt and possibly one at Bayelsa and inland one at Oguta lake
2.More Igbo Lagosians will relocate to Biafra taking advantage of the influx of people to establish businesses with ready made customers
4.The depletion of innovative and business minded, tax-paying Igbos with disposable cash from Lagos will drastically reduce the business-friendliness of Lagos.
5. Lagos will take in a horde of less skilled and extremely dependent individuals from the North, thus causing immense stress to Lagos finances and her ability to maintain amenities e.t.c.

when will you guys stop toasting SS?

Na by force to fvck?

7 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by surefact: 10:46am On Aug 21, 2015
obailala:
Do not be misled by what you see and read online, no comfortable Igbo man is willing to risk his massive investments scattered all over Nigeria for a secession today.

The present agitators for Biafra today are mainly the Igbos from the lowest cadre of society, i.e. the never-do-wells and students who are still spoon-fed by their parents.

Even with what's happening in Borno today, we still have thousands of Igbos who reside there. No matter what happens in Nigeria today, the Igbos are not leaving Lagos for anywhere.

I see fear in you....what do you want the igbos to stay in Nigeria? Are they no longer evil? You lots disgust me....if I am you, I will rejoice and be in the forefront for biafra actualization so that nigeria can be free of evil....diabolical cowards

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by phantom(m): 10:55am On Aug 21, 2015
9jii:

If leaving is even tiny possible igbos will have left since.
the rest of Nigerians will bless will the opportunity of replacing all your legal biz.
Please use your Head. How will an igbo importer leave Lagos where he makes his money THROUGH THE ONLY VIABLE PORT IN THE COUNTRY WHICH IS IN LAGOS.

@OP....we are talking (or typing) too much.
lets Build ibaka seaport and find out what will happen to Lagos.....but if yall think it wont affect Lagos negatively,then you need to see your shrinks.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by tolexy007(m): 10:57am On Aug 21, 2015
B
Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by phantom(m): 11:02am On Aug 21, 2015
obailala:

i agree partially with you. No igboman will risk his investments on "biafra" BUT lets face it, the igboman is in Lagos,not because he loves the place,but BECAUSE ITS A VIABLE MARKET IN ADDITION TO HOSTING OUR ONLY VIABLE SEAPORT AND AIRPORT.

A seaport CLOSER HOME will markedly change the dynamicś and your People know this.

4 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by OfoIgbo: 11:05am On Aug 21, 2015
1toRtoiSe1:
when will you guys stop toasting SS?

Na by force to fvck?

Initially I had I mind to only mention Porthacourt, Opobo and Oguta lake and perhaps a small river port at Onitsha as the sites for seaports knowing full well that I am only mentioning Igboid areas. But at some point, realism kicked in, as I know without a doubt that Efik, Annang and Ibibio will definitely scram with the Igbos if Biafra were to become a reality.

Also owing to the events of 28th march 2015, Ijaws will not be owambe-ing with you lot if Igbos were to pull out of Nigeria.

As things stand, eastern and Delta state minorities will prefer one of these, to remaining in Nigeria
1. Niger Delta republic
2. Lower Niger republic
3. Republic of Biafra

Any of the options above for the eastern minorities will suit Igbos.

So my above postulations as to what will happen to Lagos remains valid cool

5 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by honourhim: 11:33am On Aug 21, 2015
OfoIgbo:

Thats it.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by honourhim: 11:41am On Aug 21, 2015
Even before Biafra comes, the recent commissioning of the Warri seaport has already dealt a heavy blow on Lagos. Already igbo importers have started shipping thru Warri and are very happy about it while still waiting for Onitsha port to be completed.

6 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by zuchyblink(m): 11:44am On Aug 21, 2015
9jii:

What will happen to the Igbos for losing their market?
More than 70% of their imports finds its way to the rest of Nigeria.

Igbos leaving will only bring an opportunity to many nigerians into expanding their import and export biz.
most non-igbos don't have the capacity to compete with igbos in business

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by phantom(m): 11:54am On Aug 21, 2015
zuchyblink:
your Head is there.that is what Many people dont understand. This whole "non-igbos will fill the void" makes absoluteły no sense to me.

For example,along airforce -eliozu Road in PH are some boys who sell fresh bread. These boys are mostly igbos and northerners.

I stóp mostly in the evenings to buy bread there.nibbles is my favorite and Its sold for 600 naira. I Tell them upfront ill pay 550 naira. The northerners refuse to sell at that Price but the igbos sell at 550 claiming the 50 naira as gain .this Has caused issues Many Times between Both groups to the extent that one of the igbos escaped almost being lynched by the northerners.
The igbo Man can mąkę do with 10naira gain. Most non- igbos cant compete. QED.

7 Likes

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by asha80(m): 11:57am On Aug 21, 2015
honourhim:
Even before Biafra comes, the recent commissioning of the Warri seaport has already dealt a heavy blow on Lagos. Already igbo importers have started shipping thru Warri and are very happy about it while still waiting for Onitsha port to be completed.
nothing to prove it has dealt a blow to Lagos port

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Lagos Economy by 9jii(m): 12:01pm On Aug 21, 2015
zuchyblink:
Console your self with this lie but we all know lagos is the life line of all igbos poor n rich,appreciated or not.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We Won’t Endorse Any Candidate For Kogi, Bayelsa Polls — PDP / Benue Assembly Suspends Sitting Over Unpaid Salaries / Breaking News-yaradua Returns To Nigeria Next Week: Source,bbc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.