Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,040 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano (5434 Views)

What Is Religious Extremism? Difference Between Moderate And Extreme. / About Religious Intolerance In Nigeria / About Religious Intolerance In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by AmunRaOlodumare: 3:52pm On Aug 22, 2015
Nigeria court in Kano sentences nine people to death for blasphemy

An Islamic court has sentenced nine people to death for insulting the Prophet Muhammad in the northern Nigerian city of Kano.

The accused, who were all Muslims, had pleaded guilty, the head of Kano's religious police, Aminu Ibrahim Daurawa, told the BBC.

The trial was speedily done in secret after a section of the court was burnt down by angry protesters last month.

It is not known if they will appeal against the sentence.

The alleged offence was committed last month at a religious gathering in honour of Sheikh Ibrahim Niasse, the Senegalese founder of the Tijaniya sect, which has a large following across West Africa.

The nine, eight man and a woman, were reported to have said that "Niasse was bigger than Prophet Muhammad", triggering unrest.

The venue was burnt to the ground by an angry mob and the nine were arrested,

"There has been consensus among Muslims scholars that insulting the prophet carries a death sentence," Mr Daurawa told the BBC Hausa service.

"We quickly put them on trial to avoid bloodshed because people were very angry and trying to take law into their hands," he added.

Kano has a predominately Muslim population and Islamic courts operate alongside secular courts.

BBC Kano reporter Yusuf Yakasai said people celebrated in some parts of the city when news of the judgement emerged.

The Sufi sect of Tijaniya was founded in Algeria in 1784 by Ahmad ibn Muhammad al-Tijani.

It spread all over the world, with large following in north and west Africa. It also has followers in South Africa, Indonesia and other parts of the world.

There are other Sufi sects in Islam but Tijaniya is the largest.

They have three main daily practices: Asking the forgiveness of God; sending prayers to the Prophet Muhammad and affirming the Oneness of Allah.

Senegalese-born Sheikh Ibrahim Niasse was credited with reviving the sect in the 20th Century. People travel from across the continent to visit his shrine.

They have several factions including the Haqiqa (Realist) group, whose leaders were convicted accused of blasphemy in Kano.

Several states in predominantly Muslims northern Nigeria have introduced Sharia law after the country returned to civilian rule in 1999.

This is the first time a death sentence has been handed down for blasphemy in northern Nigeria.

The sentence has been delivered for other offences such as adultery but none has been carried out.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33283261
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by AmunRaOlodumare: 3:56pm On Aug 22, 2015
Protests over blasphemy.

It's not surprising that within such context, mixed with poverty and criminality, extremist groups such as Boko Haram can be born and build a following.

--------------------------------------

Sharia Court Burnt as Protest Hits Kano over Alleged Blasphemy

23 May 2015

brahim Shuaibu in Kano

Thousands of Muslim youths on Friday, stormed the Kano State government house and the palace of the Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II to protest the blaspheming of Prophet Muhammad by a Tijjani preacher Abdul Nyass.

Also, the Sharia court located in Rijia Lemo where the preacher was suppose to appear on Friday was equally set ablaze by some youths after waiting for a long time without his appearance.

Nyass was supposed to appear before the court for trial over the blasphemy allegedly uttered by him against the holy prophet. No explanation was given for his failure to appear in court.

The demonstrators who were mainly underage youths took to the streets of Kano carrying sticks and other weapons to indicate their annoyance over some alleged blasphemous statements against the prophet Muhammad.
Their attempt to gain entrance into the Kano State government house were prevented by the security who had hectic time calming the apprehensive youths.

They chanted “Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar”; meaning God is great, God is great and attempted to temporarily seize the government house which caused stampede for about an hour before the intervention of government officials and security agents who also formed a barricade to prevent the youths from gaining entrance into the government house.

However, the quick intervention of Governor Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso saved the situation that would have snowballed into a bloody clash between the demonstrators and the security agents manning the gates and those drafted by the state commissioner of Police, Ibrahim Idris.
The governor who was represented by the Commissioner for state Affairs, comrade Aminu Abdulsalam Gwarzo and the Commissioner for Water Resources, Dr. Yunusa Dangwani who told the leader of the sect, Sherriff Sani Jan-bulo that was invited in the government house to calm the nerves of the restive youths.

Abdulsalam explained that immediately they got information of the blasphemous statement against prophet Muhammad, a Security Council meeting was summoned to avert any untoward event that may erupt in the city.
“This act was very unholy and the state government has already taken appropriate action to avert any ugly situation. Now that you are here with me as the leader of the sect, I will want you to control your faithful not to cause any mayhem or riot that might lead to an unpleasant situation in the state, so what I want from you is to talk to your members to move back to where they are coming from peacefully”, he admonished him.

The leader in his response, acknowledged the statement of the governor and instant promised to calm the frayed nerves of the youths who on being addressed, immediately obeyed by turning back.
Meanwhile, the house of the “Tijaniyya” preacher, Abdul Nyass was on Friday torched by some irate youths at Gaide, Kumbotso local government area of the state.

This development has attracted wide spread condemnation across the state and prominent Tijaniyya leaders, Sheik Dairu Usman Bauchi, and Califa Sheik Isyaka Rabiu who said such comments could not have come from a disciple of a Tijaniyya.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/sharia-court-burnt-as-protest-hits-kano-over-alleged-blasphemy/210037/
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by AmunRaOlodumare: 3:57pm On Aug 22, 2015
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by AmunRaOlodumare: 3:59pm On Aug 22, 2015
Secular groups write to Nigerian President over blasphemy death sentences

Posted: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 07:00
Secular groups write to Nigerian President over blasphemy death sentences

The National Secular Society has joined other secularist organisations in calling for a full pardon and civil protection for nine people recently sentenced to death by a Sharia court in Nigeria.

The letter, organised by the Secular Policy Institute, expresses deep concerns over the death sentences handed out for blasphemy and appeals to the Nigerian President, Governor, and Ambassador to ensure the preservation of the individuals' rights of free conscience and religious expression.

The so-called 'Kano Nine' were sentenced to death by a sharia court in the Nigerian state of Kano after what the BBC described as a "speedily done" and "secret" trial.

The charges centred around claims that the nine accused said that Niasse, the founder of the Tijaniya sect, was "bigger than [the] Prophet Muhammad".

The nine are alleged to have made the comment at a religious gathering held to honour Niasse, in a venue which was burnt down by a mob before the nine (eight men and one woman) were arrested by police over the accusations.

The head of the religious police in Kano told the BBC: "We quickly put them on trial to avoid bloodshed because people were very angry and trying to take law into their hands."

There were reports of celebrations across parts of the city when the death sentences were announced.

The Secular Policy Institute note that "comments by local-authorities expressing relief at stemming further vigilante acts" give the impression that the verdicts were the result of "political expedience rather than a fair administration of justice."

The 'Kano Nine' are "being sacrificed to pacify a mob", the signatories write.

There was extreme secrecy around the trial, and even the names of all of the accused are not known.

Nigeria operates two countervailing jurisprudences – Customary and Sharia. The Customary Criminal code would call for a maximum two-year sentence for purported violation, with the Sharia code specifying a death sentence.

The letter argues that at the very least the State should uphold civil over religious law.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2015/08/secular-groups-write-to-nigerian-president-over-blasphemy-death-sentences
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by ELTON123(m): 4:04pm On Aug 22, 2015
Ok
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by jcross19: 4:04pm On Aug 22, 2015
Allahu akbr, I wonder if allah can defend its name. Shame on allah and mohamMAD.
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by johnydon22(m): 4:08pm On Aug 22, 2015
[b]I have once opened a thread on that bro https://www.nairaland.com/2420021/islamic-sharia-death-sentence-kano

Such islamic behaviour is disturbing as it is tremendously barbaric... How can someone deserve death because he insulted a 5th century sun baked hallucinating DEAD Arab man..

A fvcking dead man for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!

How can 21st century beings keep themselves locked up behind time into the 5th century by following ideologies and laws stipulated by someone from that time..

How can this FAILED state system called Nigeria that should be a democratic state watch such religious idiocy and ludicrous judgement happen right under it..

It's a huge shame to this country because it leaves barbarism, bigotry, fanatism to thrive under the guise of religion.... what type of nonsensical religion.

Even a day old dog or even a cockroach does not deserve to loose it's life because of a long DEAD man...

Typical example of how religion has reduced some humans into chronic simpletons and barbarism far worse than that of the fictional Satan they chastise
[/b]

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by frodobee: 4:20pm On Aug 22, 2015
I rushed in thinking dem don catch dem BH boys.
Barbarism, na so e dey start. The people wey deserve death go dhe roam street freely, bombing people with swag.
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Nobody: 4:36pm On Aug 22, 2015
They are doing their own now.

If every one else retaliates by attacking them or preventing them from doing things everyone else is doing, they start crying.

Okay nah. Okay.
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Annunaki(m): 6:16pm On Aug 22, 2015
Even satanism is not as evil as islam.
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by tartar9(m): 7:56pm On Aug 22, 2015
they keep sentencing yet no action.this onez old news,why haven't they still executed them and stop turning the Shariah to a joke.
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by tartar9(m): 7:59pm On Aug 22, 2015
Teempakguy:
They are doing their own now.

If every one else retaliates by attacking them or preventing them from doing things everyone else is doing, they start crying.

Okay nah. Okay.
who's retaliating against who
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by freecocoa(f): 8:04pm On Aug 22, 2015
I don't understand how these Muslims seem to be okay with such nonsense.

Fighting over a man they actually don't know, it's beyond crazy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Nobody: 8:05pm On Aug 22, 2015
tartar9:
who's retaliating against who
everyone else against Islam. undecided

I wonder what would happen if a worldwide vote dictated that Islam was to be made an illegal belief system and it was outlawed in major superpowers like america, China and the UK. Won't the Muslims complain.

I honestly believe this world would be better off without Islam. cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by tartar9(m): 8:19pm On Aug 22, 2015
Teempakguy:

I wonder what would happen if a worldwide vote dictated that Islam was to be made an illegal belief system and it was outlawed in major superpowers like america, China and the UK. Won't the Muslims complain.

bla bla bla as if most of the destruction that have happened in this world were caused by Muslims.
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 22, 2015
tartar9:
bla bla bla as if most of the destruction that have happened in this world were caused by Muslims.
it doesn't matter. What matters is they do cause destruction. And for that, they need to be warned.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Demmzy15(m): 8:48pm On Aug 22, 2015
Teempakguy:

Mr. Man stop making noise, you can go to the UN and start voting against Islam.

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 22, 2015
Demmzy15:

Mr. Man stop making noise, you can go to the UN and start voting against Islam.
I have no intention of doing that. Neither am I making noise. I am simply stating by observations and deductions. In the same vein, I would like you to offer two astounding things Islam has offered to the world for its betterment. wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by tartar9(m): 8:58pm On Aug 22, 2015
Teempakguy:
it doesn't matter. What matters is they do cause destruction. And for that, they need to be warned.
terrorists need to be killed

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 22, 2015
tartar9:
terrorists need to be killed
I don't know at all. While I vehemently condemn the death penalty, I am at a loss of words to describe any other fitting punishment for them. sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Demmzy15(m): 9:06pm On Aug 22, 2015
Teempakguy:
I have no intention of doing that. Neither am I making noise. I am simply stating by observations and deductions. In the same vein, I would like you to offer two astounding things Islam has offered to the world for its betterment. wink
OK if you can't stop Islam, simply "Stfu". Concerning what Islam brought that still benefits you and your family today is on surgery, optics, University, etc wink

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 22, 2015
Demmzy15:

OK if you can't stop Islam, simply "Stfu". Concerning what Islam brought that still benefits you and your family today is on surgery, optics, University, etc
optics? I'm sorry but all the resources at my disposal credit that to Isaac newton. An English scientist who lived in the 17th century.

Surgery, I'm afraid, is a rather broad field and it would be pure folly to accredit the whole thing to a certain religion. In fact, I have an archeological text here that shows the earliest forms of surgery dating back to prehistoric times.

As for the university, I'm also afraid that is in fact a Christian innovation. The earliest universities, according to my sources, being in form of the monasteries of the 6th centuries. And if we were to suggest that a university should be defined by the broader sense. Then the egyptians and babylonians are the undisputed champions of this particular feat. Far before Islam was even dreamt of.

So, Mr, you will have to quit your uncivil speech and tone and tell me, two actual things that Islam has offered the world for its betterment.

As for the stopping of Islam. I suspect it will eventually die a natural death. Why, with all of the leg shooting its been doing lately, it won't be long till it bleeds out.

Ah, lest I forget, good evening. wink

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Samunique(m): 9:21pm On Aug 22, 2015
And those gullible people pleaded guilty

No religion that's more barbaric than Islam undecided

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Samunique(m): 9:38pm On Aug 22, 2015
tartar9:
they keep sentencing yet no action.this onez old news,why haven't they still executed them and stop turning the Shariah to a joke.
Heartless Islamist, shekau cousin, why not go and execute them by yourself so that sharia won't become a joke

Generation of CAIN the murderer undecided worshiping a blood sucking demon as god !!!

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Demmzy15(m): 9:39pm On Aug 22, 2015
Teempakguy:
optics? I'm sorry but all the resources at my disposal credit that to Isaac newton. An English scientist who lived in the 17th century.

Sorry to disappoint you embarassed optics was studied 700years before Isaac Newton by Ibn al-Haitham. He proved early Greeks theory of light wrong. He was a great man indeed!

Surgery, I'm afraid, is a rather broad field and it would be pure folly to accredit the whole thing to a certain religion. In fact, I have an archeological text here that shows the earliest forms of surgery dating back to prehistoric times.

Hehehe! grin I quote from CNN World News:

"Around the year 1,000, the celebrated doctor Al Zahrawi published a 1,500 page illustrated encyclopedia of surgery that was used in Europe as a medical reference for the next 500 years. Among his many inventions, Zahrawi discovered the use of dissolving cat gut to stitch wounds -- beforehand a second surgery had to be performed to remove sutures. He also reportedly performed the first caesarean operation and created the first pair of forceps."

This was a great Muslim that loved the Prophet Muhammad, he followed Islam to the core.
wink

As for the university, I'm also afraid that is in fact a Christian innovation. The earliest universities, according to my sources, being in form of the monasteries of the 6th centuries. And if we were to suggest that a university should be defined by the broader sense. Then the egyptians and babylonians are the undisputed champions of this particular feat. Far before Islam was even dreamt of.

Of course many years before Islam, monasteries and temples had study libraries in which research were carried out. But when I speak about University I mean degree-granting University like we have today. The first University in the world was by young princess named Fatima al-Firhi in 859AD, it's names is university in Fez, Morocco. This foundation clearly refutes the notion that Muslim women aren't allowed to study!

So, Mr, you will have to quit your uncivil speech and tone and tell me, two actual things that Islam has offered the world for its betterment.

Mr you'll have to quit baseless attacks on Islam and be sincere for once!

As for the stopping of Islam. I suspect it will eventually die a natural death. Why, with all of the leg shooting its been doing lately, it won't be long till it bleeds out.

Have you forgotten it's the fastest growing religion in terms of conversion rate? grin Don't be delusion my friend. **pats his shoulder** cheesy

Ah, lest I forget, good evening. wink

OH! How was your day?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Demmzy15(m): 9:41pm On Aug 22, 2015
Samunique:
And those gullible people pleaded guilty

No religion that's more barbaric than Islam undecided

You sure?! shocked

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Samunique(m): 9:52pm On Aug 22, 2015
Demmzy15:
You sure?! shocked
Find out in your book.
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Demmzy15(m): 10:03pm On Aug 22, 2015
Samunique:
Find out in your book.
Let's find out in yours now? undecided
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by AmunRaOlodumare: 11:19pm On Aug 22, 2015
Pls leave those books to the Jewish, European and Arab people who wrote them smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Demmzy15(m): 11:36pm On Aug 22, 2015
AmunRaOlodumare:
Pls leave those books to the Jewish, European and Arab people who wrote them smiley
Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by Redlyn: 4:24am On Aug 23, 2015
Teempakguy:
I don't know at all. While I vehemently condemn the death penalty, I am at a loss of words to describe any other fitting punishment for them. sad

What they need is psychological treatment. But it appears their disease is incurable. So I would just lock them up and throw away the key.

1 Like

Re: Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano by tartar9(m): 8:58am On Aug 23, 2015
Teempakguy:
[s]optics? I'm sorry but all the resources at my disposal credit that to Isaac newton. An English scientist who lived in the 17th century.

Ah, lest I forget, good evening. wink[/s]
guy your bias and ignorance is apalling

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kaduna State Imam, Ibrahim Kazim Converts To Christian In Rome / Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – / He That Helps The Needy And Not Paying Tithe Will Soon Become Poor,’ Bishop Oyed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.