Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,038 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – (5423 Views)

She Wants Me To Leave Catholic Church Before She Can Marry Me / Archbishop Nicholas Duncan Williams: "Christian Men Are Unromantic" / Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 5:05pm On Jun 05, 2019
Rev Vincent Mulwa, a theologian and G.O of Christ Pilgrim Restoration Centre, Kenya, has come out to challenge the widely-held Christian doctrine that men should only marry one wife.

In an interview with Kenya’s The Daily Nation, Rev. Mulwa said Africans bought the world views of European missionaries who brought Christianity into Africa and abandoned polygamy, a practice that was rife even among the people who lived during biblical times.

Rev Mulwa said he wants Christian leaders to review teachings on monogamous marriages, claiming there is no verse in the Bible supporting it.

He says this is necessary to “save a generation of women who are ageing in church without husbands”.

Rev Mulwa added;

“I have been in the ministry for 38 years, preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ but now I have realised that we ministers of the gospel have lost our believers,”

“I have never seen anywhere in the Bible where prophets and preachers prayed for single ladies to get married. The Bible people were polygamous and everyone had a husband,” he says, adding that widows were allowed to become concubines.

He says polygamy was commonly practised by many African traditional communities and the Jewish culture was also polygamous, adding that it only began to fade with the introduction of Christianity.

“As far as the Bible is concerned, the number of wives or concubines that one has does not matter and is not a standard of holiness. I have come out to tell Christians that we must preach the true gospel and allow our men in the church to marry as many wives as they want. Polygamy is not about men needing many wives but it’s about women needing husbands.”

According to the cleric, the Bible has only come out strongly to condemn adultery, which is taking another man’s wife.

The reverend argues that the fact that the missionaries, who mostly came from Rome, began to preach monogamy does not mean that this is what the Bible teaches.

“It is unfortunate for the Church that today, when our dear brothers and sisters attend theological schools, they are fed with so much gentile-tilted theology that upon graduation, they are well equipped to vigorously convince the world to buy into the Roman immigration of Christianity,”

He says Christianity is not an American or European culture. Rather, it is God’s way of reaching and dealing with humankind.

Rev Mulwa, who says he is officially married to one wife, says he was preaching in a church he started 20 years ago but had to leave the church because his wife and members disagreed with his polygamy teaching.

“I told my wife that as much as she doesn’t want to agree with me, I will continue preaching the gospel of polygamy until the whole world hears of it because that is the true gospel,” he says.

When asked if he has secret wives he responded:

“The number of wives I have is not an issue. If I have one wife or more, I will not be holier than the other. That’s why I am saying Christian men should be allowed to marry many wives.”

His interpretation of the Bible is that it has not condemned polygamy. Rather, it was practised widely by men of God in the Bible.

“Polygamy is an acceptable practice. No lady should stay without a husband. Christianity remains the most holy faith, but when preached from the perspective of the European and American gentiles, then it is definitely the filthiest religion on earth.”

He gives the example of some of the men in the Bible like Abraham and David who married more than one wife and had concubines with whom they got children.

“The holiness was in how these men dealt with their many wives and concubines and God had no problem with them,” he says.

The reverend says it is wrong to imagine that God would have created two wives for Adam as “God created them so that they may fill the world”

He noted that in the Bible, some women seemed to have been in a complex situation such that remarrying was out of thought. They ended up being concubines.

But even for concubines, there was discipline, he says, and a man found with another man’s concubine was to be beaten.

“This was a lesser punishment compared to when you were found with someone’s wife where the sentence was death by stoning,” he adds.

Source: Nation.co.ke

https://www.gistreel.com/christian-men-can-marry-more-than-one-wife-no-bible-verse-is-against-polygamy-pastor/?fbclid=IwAR25TuhQZdsJCv4TWx8xhuZWCatp1oByV-ngE8fKCfEEP4_5n53WCLDBtAM
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by nepapole(m): 5:12pm On Jun 05, 2019
I concur.... I will like to marry 3 or 4 instead of having illegal sex outside

2 Likes

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 5:18pm On Jun 05, 2019
nepapole:
I concur.... I will like to marry 3 or 4 instead of having illegal sex outside

polygamy, just like monogamy, is not to help solve your inability to hold yourself. don't give the great instituion a bad name.

lets hear what pastors here have to say about it.

@joagbaje @donnie @ubenedictus. i think ubenedictus will be against it since his church started all these

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by nepapole(m): 5:21pm On Jun 05, 2019
MiddleDimension:

polygamy, just like monogamy, is not to help solve your inability to hold yourself. don't give the great instituion a bad name.

@joagbaje @donnie @ubenedictus. i think ubenedictus will be against it since his church started all these
You are right. Ok
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 05, 2019
This is:

Matthew 19:4 (KJV)

And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

The bolded is against polygamy.

1 Like

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Harrymig1(m): 5:28pm On Jun 05, 2019
1 Corinthians 7:1-15

Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

1 Like

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Ubenedictus(m): 5:40pm On Jun 05, 2019
MiddleDimension:

lol.

I am against polygamy....

A man shall leave his father and be joined to his wife and they shall be one flesh.

That is how Christian marriage is understood.
1 man + 1 wife = 1 flesh.

My church didn't just start monogamy, like all Catholic dogma, we simply inherited it from the our early forebears who were taught by the apostles or we applied Apostolic principles to current issues.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Ubenedictus(m): 5:44pm On Jun 05, 2019
Harrymig1:

Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
Amen
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by bossvinqualad25(m): 5:51pm On Jun 05, 2019
Venza 2012 model is available for 4.5 its working perfectly well, it's full option u can reach me on 08169217408 Nd watsapp with same number,loaction Ogun state

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by LilMissFavvy(f): 6:20pm On Jun 05, 2019
Why do people bring in Abraham when it comes to issues of polygamy? Abraham was never a polygamist. When he and his wife Sarah were yet to have a child, Sarah pressured him to have a child with their maid, Hagar, (Gen. 16:1-4). Abraham lived an examplary monogamy life. In Gen.16:5-8, we can see the negative results of Sarah's decision of having told Abraham to father a child from the maid(polygamy), in that Hagar began to despise Sarah, a picture commonly seen in all polygamous homes. Sarah died before Abraham, it was after Sarah's death than Abraham remarried Ketura, he was a widower. Isaac is another biblical example of someone who practiced monogamy. Although many biblical men took into a liking to pile up women and concubines, most of them paid dearly for it, eg Samson. The best way to understand the issue of what is right, is to look at the first creation, where God made one man, and gave him a woman.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Shepherd00: 6:33pm On Jun 05, 2019
LilMissFavvy:
Why do people bring in Abraham when it comes to issues of polygamy? Abraham was never a polygamist. When he and his wife Sarah were yet to have a child, Sarah pressured him to have a child with their maid, Hagar, (Gen. 16:1-4). Abraham lived an examplary monogamy life. In Gen.16:5-8, we can see the negative results of Sarah's decision of having told Abraham to father a child from the maid(polygamy), in that Hagar began to despise Sarah, a picture commonly seen in all polygamous homes. Sarah died before Abraham, it was after Sarah's death than Abraham remarried Ketura, he was a widower. Isaac is another biblical example of someone who practiced monogamy. Although many biblical men took into a liking to pile up women and concubines, most of them paid dearly for it, eg Samson. The best way to understand the issue of what is right, is to look at the first creation, where God made one man, and gave him a woman.
Leave adulterers to enjoy their sin while looking for ways to justify it.

MuttleyLaff will Soon in here to say polygamy is not a sin.

To him homosexuality is not a sin

Masturbation is not a sin.

Beatiality is not a sin.

Very soon Necrophilia won't be a sin since it hurts no one.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by LilMissFavvy(f): 6:41pm On Jun 05, 2019
Hmm, you just made me laugh, I just wish pastors can allow the holy spirit guide them to deliver the true content of the Bible. I also wish people would emulate good biblical examples when it comes to issues such as marriage, etc, may God help us.
Shepherd00:

Beatiality is not a sin.

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 6:43pm On Jun 05, 2019
jesusjnr:
This is:

And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

ofcourse it is male and female he made them, is it male, female and something else he made them before? you have not made any real point here

2 Likes

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by EmperorHarry: 6:46pm On Jun 05, 2019
LilMissFavvy:
Does Jacob count?

1 Like

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Shepherd00: 6:47pm On Jun 05, 2019
LilMissFavvy:
Hmm, you just made me laugh, I just wish pastors can allow the holy spirit guide them to deliver the true content of the Bible. I also wish people would emulate good biblical examples when it comes to issues such as marriage, etc, may God help us.
Sis. No one can hinder the Holy Spirit from delivering the Rhema in His Words.

Okay, for the sake of a discussion, can you talk about some of these principles as it concerns marriage? I'd like to learn.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 6:59pm On Jun 05, 2019
Harrymig1:

i don't really know what you are getting at.

your post has not said that man should not have more than a wife, if that's what you are trying to say. infact, it can be used to justify polygamy. LET EVERY ONE HAVE THEIR OWN WIFE/HUSBAND.

3 Likes

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 7:13pm On Jun 05, 2019
Ubenedictus:
lol.

A man shall leave his father and be joined to his wife and they shall be one flesh.

My church didn't just start monogamy, like all Catholic dogma, we simply inherited it from the our early forebears who were taught by the apostles or we applied Apostolic principles to current issues.

yes 1man + 1woman = 1flesh

this does not in anyway exclude polygamy because in polygamy, it is still one man and one woman getting married because the ceremonies are not the same. even if the ceremonies are conducted the same time, that's still not a problem for within christianity, marriage is a spiritual thing and the man is the FULL husband of the woman and vice versa. the husband is not PARTLY the husband of any of his wives.

somebody says how can this be?

well Jesus and Paul liken the institution of marriage to the relationship between jesus and the church, the church is made up of christians individually.

when you christians accepts Jesus, you come married to him. the same thing applies to your fellow christian too. and you and him become one, right? he is fully your lord and saviour just as he is FULLY the lord and saviour of the other christian too. you are not sharing Jesus. he is not partly your husband, lord and saviour, and also someone elses lord and saviour.

in the same way too, the man is the husband if the women whole and entire!

i am not the one theorizing here, it is your bible, Paul and also Jesus himself who used the parable of the 10 virgins to illustrate this while also passing the message that you should prepare for the kingdom of god

the parable of the 10 virgins, though is primarily about you preparing yourselves for the kingom of god, but we can still see that it also shows that Jesus does not have a problem with polygamy, and that the things i said above, which i took from the teachings of paul about the relationship between god and his church, and a man and his wife, is still in line.

the 10 virgins; some were foolish, and some were wise. so when the BRIDEGROOM comes around... it is one bride groom, and when he comes around, he is going to be the bride groom of each of the virgins whole and entire. so we see here that a 1+1 is still equal to 1 for each and every virgin. and the bible likens marriage to the relationship between god and his church. so if god can be the husband of each and every christian whole and entire, bringing to mind the 1 + 1 = 1, then the man can be the husband of several women whole and entire too in the same 1 + 1 = 1 formulae.

so the fomulea above does not nullify polygamy at all, just as it does not nullify the fact that Jesus is the husband of one christian and still the husband of another christian whole and entire.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 7:28pm On Jun 05, 2019
LilMissFavvy:

you are being unfair here miss! in the first place you said we should not bring in Abraham when the issue of polygamy is mentioned, and you gave reasons which proves beyond reasonable doubt your assertions. i congratulate you for pointing it out to me. but then again, you eho said Abraham was never into polygamy, which i now agree with you, still refered to his relationship with Hagar as polygamous! can you see why i said you were beinh unfair?

my dear, your arguement that hagar started being spiteful of Sarah and that is what makes polygamy bad, does not hold water. and no, it is not a thing commonly seen in all polygamous homes. so i say try not to push falsehood everywhere. i have seen homes and mine is a big example of that too, where you don't see such things.

also another point to shatter the point i just addressed up there is: we see siblin rivalries in homes too. infact the children of the Isaac you talked about as a good example of monogamy are a good example of sibling rivalry too. since you already kniw the story, there is no reason for me to go into it. but can we say that the fact that we see sibling rivalry in homes is a reason to say having more than one child is evil?

think for yourself.

my dear, Samson was a MONOGAMIST! He never had more than one wife! so he did not suffer because he had a polygamous home. he never married more than one woman at the same time!
i think you should read the bible properly!

1 Like

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 7:33pm On Jun 05, 2019
Shepherd00:

Beatiality is not a sin.

adultry is defined as a married person having sleeping with someone else who is not his/her spouse.

show me how polygamy fits into this discription, please.

3 Likes

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 7:37pm On Jun 05, 2019
LilMissFavvy:

please react to my earlier post to you and show me proof from the bible or any other credible source.

also show me examples of people in the bible who ''PAID DEARLY'' as you put it, because they married more than one wife. i already debunked your claim that Samson married more than one woman.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 7:37pm On Jun 05, 2019
EmperorHarry:

Does Jacob count?

good question
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 7:39pm On Jun 05, 2019
Shepherd00:

Beatiality is not a sin.

if you look up, i responded to the first person to comment and i told him polygamy just like monogamy is not an institution to cure ones inability to control themselves.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Shepherd00: 7:54pm On Jun 05, 2019
MiddleDimension:

adultry is defined as a married person having sleeping with someone else who is not his/her spouse.

show me how polygamy fits into this discription, please.
Adultery is when a man leaves his wife to have sex or lusts After another woman.

And, polygamy is when he marries more than one wife breaking the circle.

MiddleDimension, do you know marriage is the fusion of two souls? Three souls cannot fuse to become one. The Divine Design didn't pattern that way.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Shepherd00: 7:59pm On Jun 05, 2019
MiddleDimension:

ofcourse it is male and female he made them, is it male, female and something else he made them before? you have not made any real point here
The point you didn't see is what The Divine Design patterned marriage to be. The Divine Algorithm of marriage is 1+1=1, that is why male + female becomes unified as one.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Shepherd00: 8:00pm On Jun 05, 2019
MiddleDimension:

i don't really know what you are getting at.

your post has not said that man should not have more than a wife, if that's what you are trying to say. infact, it can be used to justify polygamy. LET EVERY ONE HAVE THEIR OWN WIFE/HUSBAND.
Let's see you try to use it to justify polygamy. Add plurals let's see.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Shepherd00: 8:03pm On Jun 05, 2019
MiddleDimension:

this does not in anyway exclude polygamy because in polygamy, it is still one man and one woman getting married because the ceremonies are not the same. even if the ceremonies are conducted the same time, that's still not a problem for within christianity, marriage is a spiritual thing and the man is the FULL husband of the woman and vice versa. the husband is not PARTLY the husband of any of his wives.

well Jesus and Paul liken the institution of marriage to the relationship between jesus and the church, the church is made up of christians individually.

when you christians accepts Jesus, you come married to him. the same thing applies to your fellow christian too. and you and him become one, right? he is fully your lord and saviour just as he is FULLY the lord and saviour of the other christian too. you are not sharing Jesus. he is not partly your husband, lord and saviour, and also someone elses lord and saviour.

i am not the one theorizing here, it is your bible, Paul and also Jesus himself who used the parable of the 10 virgins to illustrate this while also passing the message that you should prepare for the kingdom of god
MiddleDimension, pls don't just talk in general terms, drop the scriptures you are referring to here so that we can analyze them and see if they fit into what you are trying to make them seem.

You know it is OUR BIBLE, yet you think you can teach us What do?
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Shepherd00: 8:13pm On Jun 05, 2019
MiddleDimension:

good question
MiddleDimension, you said somewhere in this your thread that marriage is Spiritual for Christians. Why do you think so?

Secondly. Since you want to talk about Christian marriage, let's talk. Do you know that the marriage between a man and a woman is a type of a marriage between Christ and the Church?

Thirdly, If you must tell us what to do, can you pls tell me what the Bible means by 'Jesus is the bride groom, hence the husband of the Church, while the Church is the Bride, hence the wife of the Christ?'

The reason I asked you this is, if you understand why this is, you'd know whether or not three or four persons can conjugate in marriage.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by EmperorHarry: 8:17pm On Jun 05, 2019
Solomon wink
The 1+1=1 argument is trumped in evidence of 2 biblical characters portrayed as polygamist and being in polygamous marriages.
Therefore the statement made by the OP is valid until a bible verse clearly and literally states otherwise thus rendering it invalid.

I'm in no way approving or disapproving polygamy.

1 Like

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by CodeTemplar: 8:18pm On Jun 05, 2019
jesusjnr:
This is:

That's talking about the spiritual being. stop using scripture out of context.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 8:20pm On Jun 05, 2019
MiddleDimension:

the parable of the 10 virgins, though is primarily about you preparing yourselves for the kingom of god, but we can still see that it also shows that Jesus does not have a problem with polygamy, and that the things i said above, which i took from the teachings of paul about the relationship between god and his church, and a man and his wife, is still in line.

the 10 virgins; some were foolish, and some were wise. so when the BRIDEGROOM comes around... it is one bride groom, and when he comes around, he is going to be the bride groom of each of the virgins whole and entire. so we see here that a 1+1 is still equal to 1 for each and every virgin. and the bible likens marriage to the relationship between god and his church. so if god can be the husband of each and every christian whole and entire, bringing to mind the 1 + 1 = 1, then the man can be the husband of several women whole and entire too in the same 1 + 1 = 1 formulae.

so the fomulea above does not nullify polygamy at all, just as it does not nullify the fact that Jesus is the husband of one christian and still the husband of another christian whole and entire.

@shepard00 please read this. your questions about fomulea are answered here. if there is any objection, please bring it up and then we can look at it. your objections have to be fair, though
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by CodeTemplar: 8:21pm On Jun 05, 2019
Harrymig1:

This scripture still doesn't change what the mannhas said. It only advises every man and woman to have a legal partner but doesn't say whether it is one man to one woman or many woman.

1 Like

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by CodeTemplar: 8:24pm On Jun 05, 2019
Ubenedictus:
lol.

The KJV puts it better for us. it say a man and a woman shall leave the parent and cleave unto one another. Scripture also says whatever God has joined, let no man put asunder.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Today Sermon In Your Church And The Lessons You Learnt From It / Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. / If You Hate Donald Trump And You Are A Christian, Watch This!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.