Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,392 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts (11779 Views)

Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” / 5 Benefits Of Praying In Tongues / The Truth About Speaking In Tongues And Holy Ghost Baptism... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 25, 2015
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 6:44pm On Aug 25, 2015
babafemi1000:

May I state that I'm not against speaking in tongues. [s]I just don't believe, according to 1 Cor 12:30 that every believer speaks in tongues[/s]

Remove the "bold" from your mind
mark 16: 15-17:- and the signs shall follow them that believe;in my name they shall cast out demons,speak with new tongues.

I have witnessed people demonstrate all the signs listed in Mark 16:15-19

In acts 2 All the 120 disciples spoke with tongues.

Acts 10, all of them peter preached to in the house of cornelius spoke with tongues.

Acts 19:The folks Paul laid his hands on spoke with tongues.

The Church at Corinth too all spoke with tongues.

1cor14:18:-Paul tells them he speaks with tongues more that all of them.

For paul to have said it,it means they all spoke with tongues.but he speaks with
tongues more than them.

1cor14:23:- if the whole church come together into one place and ALL speak with tongues.

Eph6:18-19:-Paul admonished all of us to always pray in the Spirit.
Praying in the Spirit is praying in tongues.
See 1cor14:14.
paul admonishes all believers to pray in tongues at all times.
For him to have said this it means all believers can pray in tongues.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 25, 2015
sportsmaster:

Remove the "bold" from your mind

-- I refuse to remove the bold because it is founded in the scriptures.

mark 16: 15-17:- and the signs shall follow them that believe;in my name they shall cast out demons,speak with new tongues.

I have witnessed people demonstrate all the signs listed in Mark 16:15-19

-- you may have witnessed people demonstrating all the gifts yeah? Well the bible doesn't say all people have to have all the gifts.

In acts 2 All the 120 disciples spoke with tongues.

Acts 10, all of them peter preached to in the house of cornelius spoke with tongues.

Acts 19:The folks Paul laid his hands on spoke with tongues.

The Church at Corinth too all spoke with tongues.

-- These signs were the doing of the holy ghost at the time. He used this as evidence. It is at his discretion. Let's not try to develop some spiritual formula here

1cor14:18:-Paul tells them he speaks with tongues more that all of them.

For paul to have said it,it means they all spoke with tongues.but he speaks with
tongues more than them.

-- That's not what the bible implies. It implies that he had the gift and he could use it more than them (them means not all but those who had the same gift)

1cor14:23:- if the whole church come together into one place and ALL speak with tongues.

-- Look at the scripture in full. It didn't stop at "all speak in tongues". Paul was teaching them to be orderly.

Eph6:18-19:-Paul admonished all of us to always pray in the Spirit.

Praying in the Spirit is praying in tongues.

--Praying in the spirit is not always praying in tongues. It simply means pray according to the will of God. Didn't Jesus pray in the spirit? Did you hear that he prayed in tongues?

See 1cor14:14.

paul admonishes all believers to pray in tongues at all times.
For him to have said this it means all believers can pray in tongues.

-- This is not true.

Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 25, 2015
[quote author=babafemi1000 post=37328936][/quote]
you did disappoint me .
Open your bible to 1cor14:14:-
"If i pray in the tongues,My Spirit prays."
is this in your bible.

Then read Eph6:18-19.
praying always with all prayer and supplication in THE SPIRIT.

Praying in tongues is praying in the Spirit. .
It clear and plain in front of you.

Last semester when i went on evangelism,
i made sure that i got everyone that i preached the Gospel to filled with the Holy and speak with tongues.

If you still dont agree i can no longer waste my time.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 25, 2015
sportsmaster:

you did disappoint me .
Open your bible to 1cor14:14:-
"If i pray in the tongues,My Spirit prays."
is this in your bible.

-- You seem fond of referencing from incomplete bible verses. Which way na my guy?

(1Co 14:14) For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

This is the complete verse. It doesn't say praying in tongues is always the same as praying in the spirit

Please always look at the whole picture.

Then read Eph6:18-19.
praying always with all prayer and supplication in THE SPIRIT.

Praying in tongues is praying in the Spirit. .
It clear and plain in front of you.

-- Ephesians 6: 18 Praying always, with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto, with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Now this says nothing to support your claim. Like I said, praying in the spirit does not always mean praying in tongues. It means praying according to the will of God

Last semester when i went on evangelism,
i made sure that i got everyone that i preached the Gospel to filled with the Holy and speak with tongues.

-- Ah, what do you mean you made sure? It is not up to you but up to the holy spirit oo.. "I made sure" here already faults your claim and the supposed results

If you still dont agree i can no longer waste my time.

---- I make no apologies for sticking to scriptures. I keep saying "look at the whole picture and not just the fragments".

Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 25, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Okay so for those that receive the baptism according to you and don't speak in tongues, how will they know they have received?

Will they go and say "okay let me see if I can heal the sick or use the spirit of faith or work a miracle*?

Will they have to try one and see if it doesn't work and then try another one and if that doesn't work also they try another one?

Won't that be unfair? While the folks that have the gift of tongues know instantly they have been baptised the others would have to keep trying and trying to see which gift they have gotten.

One does not need to go about testing gifts trying to see if they have received the holy ghost. There's no need to be looking for a sign to prove to others that one has the holy ghost.

You ask "what's the evidence that one has the holy spirit"? Well, a changed life perhaps, exhibiting fruits of the spirit (love, joy, peace, etc..)?

Remember this verse "walk in the spirit and you will not fulfil the desires of the flesh? Is that not evidence enough?

We are no longer in the days of the apostles where the sovereign holy ghost decided to use tongues as a sign to unbelievers and israel. 1 Corinthians 12 applies more to us today, being that the manifestation of the spirit is in various miraculous gifts.

Please note that I support desiring earnestly the best gifts as paul advised, which may include speaking in tongues and prophesying. I also believe in praying in tongues as the spirit gives utterance
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Jeromejnr(m): 8:17pm On Aug 25, 2015
babafemi1000:

One does not need to go about testing gifts trying to see if they have received the holy ghost. There's no need to be looking for a sign to prove to others that one has the holy ghost.

You ask "what's the evidence that one has the holy spirit"? Well, a changed life perhaps, exhibiting fruits of the spirit (love, joy, peace, etc..)?

Remember this verse "walk in the spirit and you will not fulfil the desires of the flesh? Is that not evidence enough?

We are no longer in the days of the apostles where the sovereign holy ghost decided to use tongues as a sign to unbelievers and israel. 1 Corinthians 12 applies more to us today, being that the manifestation of the spirit is in various miraculous gifts.

Please note that I support desiring earnestly the best gifts as paul advised, which may include speaking in tongues and prophesying. I also believe in praying in tongues as the spirit gives utterance

No problem.

But if you will, I will advise that you get a book or message online:

Why speak in tongues by Kenneth Hagin.

He goes into much detail and explanation of the scriptures.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 8:37pm On Aug 25, 2015
Jeromejnr:

No problem.

But if you will, I will advise that you get a book or message online:

Why speak in tongues by Kenneth Hagin.

He goes into much detail and explanation of the scriptures.

Thanks jerome for sharing.

I've had my fair share of kenneth hagin and co. I'm of the opinion that "a little yeast spreads through the whole batch of dough" until everything is spoilt.

This means that these guys are fond of infusing a little error into their teaching here and there until everybody is confused. I'd rather stay away from all their teaching and stick to using scriptures, praying that God would teach me things.

This is not to say that we cannot learn a thing or two from other believers, but for kenneth hagin and co, mehn I'd rather waka pass.

Let's let the holy spirit lead us into all truth. I'm not perfect in putting him first but I understand now more than ever that I have to. There's a lot of deception out there mehn..
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Jeromejnr(m): 8:43pm On Aug 25, 2015
babafemi1000:

Thanks jerome for sharing.

I've had my fair share of kenneth hagin and co. I'm of the opinion that "a little yeast spreads through the whole batch of dough" until everything is spoilt.

This means that these guys are fond of infusing a little error into their teaching here and there until everybody is confused. I'd rather stay away from all their teaching and stick to using scriptures, praying that God would teach me things.

This is not to say that we cannot learn a thing or two from other believers, but for kenneth hagin and co, mehn I'd rather waka pass.

Let's let the holy spirit lead us into all truth. I'm not perfect in putting him first but I understand now more than ever that I have to. There's a lot of deception out there mehn..

Aiit.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 25, 2015
I'm really glad that all the posters shared their views distinctly and without any bashing or batter. It's been a healthy session so far, in agreement or disagreement. This shows we have a level of maturity.

I'm open to other views but please let's quote scriptures within context for easy understanding. It's easy to extract a scripture and make it buttress our points but when examined in it's full context it says otherwise.

In the end we're all brothers and sisters if we're born of the spirit of God.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Jeromejnr(m): 9:08pm On Aug 25, 2015
babafemi1000:
I'm really glad that all the posters shared their views distinctly and without any bashing or batter. It's been a healthy session so far, in agreement or disagreement. This shows we have a level of maturity.

I'm open to other views but please let's quote scriptures within context for easy understanding. It's easy to extract a scripture and make it buttress our points but when examined in it's full context it says otherwise.

In the end we're all brothers and sisters if we're born of the spirit of God.

I want to post something tho.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Jeromejnr(m): 9:09pm On Aug 25, 2015
My first experience speaking in tongues came on April 27, 1988. I was 20 years old, and still a member of a denominational church, but out of curiosity, I had also been visiting a Pentecostal church on occasion. One day, I responded to an invitation to receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit. I had been a Christian for about five years, and loved God very much, but at the same time, I knew that I needed a deeper presence of God in his life. As I was prayed for, I suddenly "felt" strange, unknown words well up inside me. As I began to speak them out, a gigantic tidal wave of God's love and power flooded into me, changing my life forever.
Next to my salvation, this has been THE key event of my walk with Jesus. In the years since then, it has became a richer and deeper part of my life than I could ever have imagined. It is as natural to me as breathing. Since this experience changed my life so dramatically, I have a deep desire to share it with others. In this second part in our series of messages on tongues, I wanted to devote the entire article to dealing with questions about the availability of this wonderful experience to all believers.

I. ARE TONGUES AVAILABLE TO ALL CHRISTIANS?

In 1 Corinthians 12:30, Paul asks the hypothetical question "Do all speak in tongues?" This has led some to the conclusion that tongues as a whole are only for a select few Christians.

However, there are three different manifestations of tongues. The context of Paul's above mentioned statement is a discussion of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, tongues being one of them. He is giving instruction for the proper use of the gifts in a church service. When Paul speaks of tongues in this setting, he is referring to the ministry gift of tongues, which, as previously stated, is only one of the three, and is only given by the Holy Spirit in certain situations. This type of tongues is a sign to unbelievers. However, we read other instances in Scripture where people spoke in tongues, and no unbelievers were present (see Acts 10:46; 19:6, as well as note 1 below), giving further proof that this is not the exclusive purpose for tongues.

As for the other two manifestations of tongues, however, there are a number of Scriptures that clearly teach that they are for all Christians:

1. Jesus said "These signs shall follow THEM THAT BELIEVE...." one of them being "they shall speak with new tongues." (Mark 16:17)
2. At the initial outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost, ALL spoke with tongues. (Acts 2:4)

3. Throughout the Book of Acts, there is a consistent pattern of tongues being the initial evidence when someone is baptized in the Holy Spirit. See Acts 2:1-4;Acts 10:44-46;Acts 19:2-7. (more on this next question.)

4. Paul desired all Christians to speak in tongues (1 Corinthians 14:5)

5. The exhortations to "Pray in the Spirit" (Ephesians 6:18 )and "in the Holy Ghost" (Jude 20,) terms synonymous with praying in tongues (1 Corinthians 14:14-16,) are directed to all Christians.

I compare it to this :All Christians are to have faith (Mark 11:22; Ephesians 2:8,) but some have a special GIFT of faith (1 Corinthians 12:9.) All Christians are to be merciful (Matthew 5:7; Luke 6:36,) but some have a special ministry gift of mercy (Romans 12:8.) Likewise,the wonderful experience of praying in tongues is available to all Christians, but some have a special public ministry gift of tongues.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Jeromejnr(m): 9:15pm On Aug 25, 2015
II.WHAT IS THE CONNECTION BETWEEN TONGUES AND THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT?

The Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a supernatural empowerment from God into the Christian's life. It can happen at the moment a person is first saved, but as the following verses point out, it is normatively an event subsequent to salvation.

Since the baptism is a supernatural experience, it would stand to reason that it would by accompanied by a supernatural sign or evidence. Looking at the Biblical pattern, we see that this sign is speaking in tongues.

There are five recorded instances in the Book of Acts of people receiving the baptism. Each time, it either says the people spoke in tongues, or at least strongly implies that they did. Let's look at each case on an individual basis:

PENTECOST-Acts 2:1-4-As we stated earlier, the Holy Spirit was first poured out on the day of Pentecost. Of the 120 people who received the Spirit, every one of them, without exception, spoke in tongues (including, interestingly, Mary, the Mother of Jesus-Acts 1:14.) Note particularly the impact this experience had on Peter.In chapter 2, verses 14-41, we see the same disciple who had three times denied he even knew Jesus now stood in the face of a hostile crowd and boldly proclaimed the Gospel, resulting in 3000 people coming to Christ!
THE BELIEVERS AT SAMARIA- Acts 8:14-24-Here the apostles receive the wonderful news of the Gospel spreading into Samaria. Upon hearing this, they immediately sent Peter and John to pray for them, so that they could receive the Holy Spirit. While they are ministering to these believers, a sorcerer named Simon sees this miraculous event, and offers Peter and John money for the ability to impart the Holy Spirit to others. Of course, Peter sharply rebukes him, telling him he has no part or lot in this matter (verse 20.) Although this account does not specifically mention tongues, it is important to notice two things:

1. Simon SAW that the Holy Spirit was being given (verse 18,) therefore, there must have been some sort of tangible evidence of the Holy Spirit's impartation.
2. In verse 20, when Peter tells Simon that he has no part or lot in this matter, it is interesting to note that the word "matter" in the Greek can also be translated "utterance!" Simon had no part or lot in the UTTERANCE that he saw.

Keeping these two things in mind, as well as comparing this event with others like it in Scripture, I believe it is perfectly safe to say that the evidence that Simon saw was the utterance in tongues of those who whose lives were being transformed by this marvelous work of the Holy Spirit.
PAUL AND ANANIAS-Acts 9:17-18-After his dramatic encounter with God on the road to Damascus, Paul receives a visit from a man named Ananias, who was sent by God so that Paul, who had been blinded during the Damascus encounter, might "receive his sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost ." Although this particular passage does not state that Paul spoke in tongues, we know he did because he later wrote to the Corinthian church "I thank my God I speak in tongues more than you all ." ( 1 Corinthians 14:18) .

PETER AND THE FAMILY OF CORNELIUS-Acts 10:44-46-Cornelius and his family were the first Gentiles (non Jews) to ever become Christians. In the dramatic account of their conversion, we see Cornelius seeking God, who sends an angel to tell him to seek out the Apostle Peter, who, at the same time, was told by the Holy Spirit that Cornelius' men were looking for him. Peter obediently goes to visit Cornelius, and shares the Gospel with him and his family. While Peter was preaching to them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke in tongues . The Jewish believers were astonished at this, because this Gentile family had received the Holy Spirit just like they had. Notice that when they witnessed this wonderful event, THE evidence that they recognized was that "they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God." ( verse 46) .

PAUL AND THE EPHESIAN BELIEVERS- Acts 19:2-7- While passing through the city of Ephesus, Paul encounters a group of disciples and quickly asks them "Have you received the Holy Spirit since you believed?" They responded that they had never even heard of the Holy Spirit. Paul then gives them some further instruction, baptizes them in water, and lays hands on them to receive the Holy Spirit. When they do, they speak in tongues, as well as prophesy.

One of the basic rules of Bible interpretation is that it takes a minimum of two or three Scriptures to establish a doctrine ( Matthew 18:16; 2 Corinthians 13:1.) So with these five examples, we can see that the doctrine of tongues as initial evidence is solidly Scriptural. Receiving the baptism has been humorously compared to buying a pair of shoes- Tongues come with it!
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 10:12pm On Aug 25, 2015
[quote author=Jeromejnr post=37332899][/quote]

This is unmistakably kenneth hagin snr.

Jerome, I think he's in error. Most of his points, if not all, have been used by yourself and others here on this thread but each time I have used scriptures to refute them.

Jesus received the holy ghost after baptism. Did he speak in tongues? No.

How then did people know he had the holy ghost, if it were necessary to prove it to them? God confirmed it from heaven.

I dare say speaking in tongues is not the only evidence that we have received the holy spirit. The spirit may have decided to use it as such at that time, but it doesn't always have to be the case.

We don't have to always look to establish doctrines and patterns in the bible and apply them to our circumstances. The spirit is dynamic in his ways.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Jeromejnr(m): 10:29pm On Aug 25, 2015
babafemi1000:

This is unmistakably kenneth hagin snr.

Jerome, I think he's in error. Most of his points, if not all, have been used by yourself and others here on this thread but each time I have used scriptures to refute them.

Jesus received the holy ghost after baptism. Did he speak in tongues? No.

How then did people know he had the holy ghost, if it were necessary to prove it to them? God confirmed it from heaven.

I dare say speaking in tongues is not the only evidence that we have received the holy spirit. The spirit may have decided to use it as such at that time, but it doesn't always have to be the case.

We don't have to always look to establish doctrines and patterns in the bible and apply them to our circumstances. The spirit is dynamic in his ways.

Nope. This isn't Kenneth Hagin. But Donald Gee.

And you misconstrued some scriptures you quoted up there.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 5:40am On Aug 26, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Oops! *covers face* Sounds like him though. Many apologies.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by ABDULADINO(m): 6:53am On Aug 26, 2015
Pls Op, Can you point out any errors in the book Kenneth Hagin wrote on why believers should speak in tongues, if i may ask?

I consider his points and i find no error, any explanation is welcome. I am open to learning.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 26, 2015
Jeromejnr:

You don't need an initial sign to prove that you've received the holy ghost. The best sign is a life of christ, bearing the fruits of the spirit (is it not the same holy spirit?)

Tongues were a sign to the unbeliever and also of acceptance of the gentiles. That the jews may know that God had accepted the gentiles too! It was a matter of his discretion how he wanted to prove to people. That's why Jesus showed signs to people in his day, cos there were skeptics everywhere.

-- Acts 9:17-20 did paul speak in tongues as evidence that he received the holy ghost? Even paul? Did he not receive the holy ghost immediately?

So why look for doctrine where there is none?

Want to speak in tongues but no interpreter? Then speak to yourself and to God. That's to pray in tongues.

There's no scripture in this thread that I have misconstrued. It's as easy as understanding an english exam comprehension passage, where you're asked questions about the whole scenario and not just bits and pieces of it.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 7:05am On Aug 26, 2015
ABDULADINO:
Pls Op, Can you point out any errors in the book Kenneth Hagin wrote on why believers should speak in tongues, if i may ask?

I consider his points and i find no error, any explanation is welcome. I am open to learning.

Abduladino! Wow this name sounds like you wanna be ronaldinho.. cheesy

Please I'd like you to carefully read through the thread please, points have been made that refutes wrong teaching especially that "you must speak in tongues immediately when you receive the holy ghost"

Scriptures have been quoted and I'm sure you won't be lost when you read them.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by ABDULADINO(m): 7:24am On Aug 26, 2015
babafemi1000:

Abduladino! Wow this name sounds like you wanna be ronaldinho.. cheesy
Lol, just a username. On the contrary i wanna be like Jesus.
Please I'd like you to carefully read through the thread please, points have been made that refutes wrong teaching especially that "you must speak in tongues immediately when you receive the holy ghost"

Scriptures have been quoted and I'm sure you won't be lost when you read them.
I have and so far i haven't seen any concrete explanation from you as to why hagin's teaching is erroneous. You could do well to paste your explanations here for me to see and comprehend.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 7:49am On Aug 26, 2015
ABDULADINO:
Lol, just a username. On the contrary i wanna be like Jesus.
I have and so far i haven't seen any concrete explanation from you as to why hagin's teaching is erroneous. You could do well to paste your explanations here for me to see and comprehend.

Okay lemme say this. I'm not well versed in kenneth hagin's teaching on the subject. I'm just using scriptures to support what I've posted so far.

May I ask what kenneth hagin teaches that you seem to agree with?
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Jeromejnr(m): 8:29am On Aug 26, 2015
babafemi1000:

You don't need an initial sign to prove that you've received the holy ghost. The best sign is a life of christ, bearing the fruits of the spirit (is it not the same holy spirit?)

Tongues were a sign to the unbeliever and also of acceptance of the gentiles. That the jews may know that God had accepted the gentiles too! It was a matter of his discretion how he wanted to prove to people. That's why Jesus showed signs to people in his day, cos there were skeptics everywhere.

-- Acts 9:17-20 did paul speak in tongues as evidence that he received the holy ghost? Even paul? Did he not receive the holy ghost immediately?

So why look for doctrine where there is none?

Want to speak in tongues but no interpreter? Then speak to yourself and to God. That's to pray in tongues.

There's no scripture in this thread that I have misconstrued. It's as easy as understanding an english exam comprehension passage, where you're asked questions about the whole scenario and not just bits and pieces of it.

Actually, the truth is there are some scriptures one can never understand as you ought to if
One has not experienced it first hand themselves.

Example: where Jesus said "this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting, and God chastising His children (when people read this they think they know how God chastises His children , but when you walk with Him some you will understand it was not as you taught).

In my Christian walk, not only mine, I have discovered that tongues is one of the top 5 most important tools God gave His children.

Majority of the services O have been to anyone that came up for hands to be paid on for baptism, started speaking the language. (That is after they have been taught from the word on the issue and can then receive it by faith).

If one has not spoken I'm tongues, then he can never understand the charge given by Jude. " beloved keep building yourself on your most Holy Faith, praying in the Holy Ghost". And that was a charge to all the body of believers. And for those with the experience of tongues, we know how how charged our faith becomes after a series of prayers.

How can one pray in the Holy Ghost anytime? How does the Spirit help us in intercession with groanings that cannot be uttered? For we no not what we should pray for as we ought to.

And of you ask anyone that spoke in tongues, he would tell you that it's like some words are welling up in the belly and the spirit groaning on the inside looking for how to express the deep longings of the heart.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by ABDULADINO(m): 8:53am On Aug 26, 2015
babafemi1000:

Okay lemme say this. I'm not well versed in kenneth hagin's teaching on the subject. I'm just using scriptures to support what I've posted so far.

May I ask what kenneth hagin teaches that you seem to agree with?
Good, atleast you are honest here.

Hagin was a young denominational baptist preacher who never believed that all believers should speak in tongues just as you here. It was the Holy Spirit that enlightened him and taught him from scriptures that tongues as ministry gifts is different from the devotional gift of tongues you get at initial baptism of the Holy Spirit.All believers baptised in the Holy Spirit have tongues as EVDIENCE.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 26, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Actually, the truth is there are some scriptures one can never understand as you ought to if
One has not experienced it first hand themselves.

Example: where Jesus said "this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting, and God chastising His children (when people read this they think they know how God chastises His children , but when you walk with Him some you will understand it was not as you taught).

In my Christian walk, not only mine, I have discovered that tongues is one of the top 5 most important tools God gave His children.

Majority of the services O have been to anyone that came up for hands to be paid on for baptism, started speaking the language. (That is after they have been taught from the word on the issue and can then receive it by faith).

If one has not spoken I'm tongues, then he can never understand the charge given by Jude. " beloved keep building yourself on your most Holy Faith, praying in the Holy Ghost". And that was a charge to all the body of believers. And for those with the experience of tongues, we know how how charged our faith becomes after a series of prayers.

How can one pray in the Holy Ghost anytime? How does the Spirit help us in intercession with groanings that cannot be uttered? For we no not what we should pray for as we ought to.

And of you ask anyone that spoke in tongues, he would tell you that it's like some words are welling up in the belly and the spirit groaning on the inside looking for how to express the deep longings of the heart.

I don't dispute speaking or praying in tongues (of men or of angels). I'm all for it.

What I dispute is people saying that when you receive the holy ghost, you must speak in tongues as evidence! This is not true. So many evidences abound of one's having the holy ghost, not only tongues. Fruits of the spirit? Charity? A more excellent way? 1 Cor 13: 1-13.

Please pray in tongues and speak too, by all means. It's good!

Secondly, praying in the holy ghost means to pray according to the will of God. Jesus prayed. He prayed in the spirit too! Did he speak in tongues? Did paul when he received?

One's personal experience, while good, don't trump scriptures. Let's look to scriptures and not experiences.

It's just like someone who tithes and sees blessings and then uses it as proof to support tithing whereas scriptures don't impose tithing on us anymore
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 26, 2015
I do admit that in 1 corinthians 14:14-16, by talking about praying in the spirit paul referred to praying in tongues. Sportsmaster must be happy with this statement I've made! Lol

Nevertheless this doesn't imply that everyone has the gift!

Also in jude 1:20, he advised to always pray in the holy ghost, but here he was talking to the body of christ, so he never really asserts that all individuals who make up the body must be the ones praying in the holy ghost.

The body prays, but it's probably just those with the gifts that do the praying in tongues.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by sofman(m): 10:16am On Aug 26, 2015
David0:

And I am one of those who believes speaking in tongues is not making noises calling it tongue. Speaking in tongue is actually speaking in different languages.

No sir; tngues can't be limited to that, though speaking in different languages might be included. icor 13:1 if I speak in tongues of men and of angels. it must not be a manly language, 1 cor 14:2 he that speaketh in tongues speaketh not unto man but unto God, FOR NO MAN UNDERSTANDETH HIM howbeit he speaketh mysteries unto God. this is the word standard concerning this gift. Thanks
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Jeromejnr(m): 10:29am On Aug 26, 2015
babafemi1000:

I don't dispute speaking or praying in tongues (of men or of angels). I'm all for it.

What I dispute is people saying that when you receive the holy ghost, you must speak in tongues as evidence! This is not true. So many evidences abound of one's having the holy ghost, not only tongues. Fruits of the spirit? Charity? A more excellent way? 1 Cor 13: 1-13.

Please pray in tongues and speak too, by all means. It's good!

Secondly, praying in the holy ghost means to pray according to the will of God. Jesus prayed. He prayed in the spirit too! Did he speak in tongues? Did paul when he received?

One's personal experience, while good, don't trump scriptures. Let's look to scriptures and not experiences.

It's just like someone who tithes and sees blessings and then uses it as proof to support tithing whereas scriptures don't impose tithing on us anymore

Yes sir,

Paul spoke in tongues when he received. "I speak in tongues more than you all".

And not everyone's detailed experiences has to be recorded in the scriptures. But we see that everytime hands were laid on people they spoke in tongues. Every time and everywhere.

There are some things writing that are just assumed that we know what they talked about.

But again, scripture says "we don't know what we should pray for as we ought to, but the Spirit helps us with groanings which cannot be uttered"

Well, how does the Spirit help us pray with groanings which cannot be uttered?

Because just praying according to the will of God in English is not a groaning and the English language can definitely be uttered.

What's your take on this?
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by IdeeEsperanza(m): 12:00pm On Aug 26, 2015
Why do some churches (doctrines) insist that speaking/praying in tongues is a must? I know of a sister who told me that whenever the choristers commit an offence, they are punished by asking to praying in tongues for an hour. What's your take on this?
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 3:36pm On Aug 26, 2015
sportsmaster:

Dont misread.I suggest you grab a greek manuscript.

1cor 14:26 How is then brethen?when ye come together every one of you hath a psalm,hath a doctrine,hath tongue,hath revelation,hath an interpretation.let all things be done unto edifying

Why the Greek manuscript? You didn't quote the manuscript yourself.

I think u're misunderstanding that verse. From what I understand from u, the implication of what u say is that everyone will be singing, prophesying, speaking in tongue, interpreting at the same time. Is that reasonable to u?

1cor 12: if you had patiently read vs4-7 you will understand it perfectly.
Dont take out of context.

OK.

Paul started a discussion in 1cor 12,you should read everything in book in context of 1cor12 until he switches the context.he switched in chapter 13.
take note of that.

I think Paul was still on spiritual gifts in chapter 13. But I think with regards to the point u want to prove, 12 is helpful.

Vs 4 mentions the gifts.
Vs5 and Vs 6 explains that there are different ministries,and different operations in the diversities of gifts.

Verse 4 Says that there are different gifts, by this, it means the gift for tongue, gift of healing, gift of prophesying etc. Do u agree?

It further states that there is the same spirit. Meaning that it is only God's spirit that distributes varying gifts to different individuals. Does this make sense to u?

Verse 5 identified that there are different ministries. Now notice that it never said the same "spirit", rather the end of the verse says " the same lord".

Which ministries? Those at eph 4:11 are inclusive.

Now verse 6 shows that God is the source of the power by which different activities are performed.

Vs 7 says "the manifestation of the spirit is given to every man to profit withal".

The manifestation of the Spirit in this context is talking about the Gifts.

It simply means the Manifestation or rather the ability to manifest these Gifts is given to every believer for the common Good.

The manifestation of the spirit is given to each believer for a beneficial purpose. However, from the following verses, it is shown how that one spirit gives different gift/s to each believer.

This does not mean that the manifestation gives all gifts. The spirit can manifest in u one or more gift/s but not all.

See references:

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit;
ESV:and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord;
ESV:and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone.
ESV:To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
ESV:For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit,
ESV:to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
ESV:to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
ESV:All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.

So from verse 7-11, Paul shows us how just one spirit gave different gift.

It is the manifestation of the spirit on an individual that does this, but take note of the words 'to one', 'another' etc, which shows that the gift is shared not that everyone had the gift to manifest all the spiritual gifts.

Read vs 28,29,30..
He explained ministry gifts.
This should tell you that he wasn't talking about the gifts,he was explaining the ministries in the gifts.

Espanciate, what do u mean by the "ministries in the gifts"?

Are Apostles,prophets,teachers gifts of the Spirit.? NO!.
These are ministry Gifts not the regular gifts like (tongues,interpretation,prophesy,word of knowledge,wisdon,discerning of spirits,faith,miracles,healings).

What paul was explaining the diversities of the gifts in ministry.

In a Spirit-filled church,you will notice that Some people can function better in some Gifts than others,
that does not mean that the others dont have the same Gifts.
We all same Gifts,same Spirit.

This is like saying that the eye can see, touch, smell, and hear, but that the eyes can see more than the ear. Or that the nose can smell more than the eye.

Again, you need to explain what you mean by ministry gift.

But note that Paul spoke of the body of Christ comprising of many members. From verse 27 i underatand that Paul was mentioning all the various parts of the body of christ then. As such,he had to include different positions available in the church. He couldn't have mentioned only the work available for those with the spiritual gifts cos that alone are not all the body of Christ is composed of.

He had to mention all the parts, and this will now include parts not requiring spiritual gifts. That does not then mean that from verses 7-11, he was not speaking of different spiritual gifts available cos of the operation of the spirit.

From verse 29, he buttressed the point that the body of christ is made up of different parts with different functions. No one person is an island of all these gifts. In fact it will be like saying that the hand can become the leg, and the eyes can become the mouth, the nose can become the head etc.

Read from verse 29 very well, he states that not all heal, not all are prophets, not all are interpreters. What do u think is the answer to his question? Is "yes" the answer?

Note that on asking the question, Paul has all parts of the congregation in mind, both those endowed with the gifts and those who do other works. But by mentioning that not all heal, speak in tongue, ie those dealing with the gift, he is showing that not all has the same gift of the spirit.

Lemme give you pratical examples.
Refer to the Acts of the Apostles.
Peter did function with all the Gifts of the Spirit.
Paul did too.
Philip did too.

Why then was Philip unable to transmit the spiritual gift to those in Samaria? Acts 8:14, 15.

Why then is it that not even a single person can speak as much tongue as Paul? 1cor 14:18.

Paul functioned with all the gifts and he stated in 1cor12:7 that the manifestation of the Spirit to every believer to profit withal.

Paul cannot contradict himself.

So one believer cannot have a gift the other does not have.

I have explained what that 1cor 12:7 means. It does not mean that all have all the gifts

Why will Paul advise them to keep seeking for gifts when they already have it on one manifestation? 1cor 12:31

1 Like

Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 26, 2015
JMAN05, you could not have said it better! Frankly I was tired of explaining and explaining... Thanks a ton!

1 Like

Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 26, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Yes sir,

Paul spoke in tongues when he received. "I speak in tongues more than you all".

And not everyone's detailed experiences has to be recorded in the scriptures. But we see that everytime hands were laid on people they spoke in tongues. Every time and everywhere.

Paul did not speak in tongues when he received the holy ghost. Perhaps later he got the gift. But when hands were laid on him, the holy ghost came upon him but nowhere is it recorded that he spoke in tongues as proof. Jesus too! Even philip sef and lydia, what about the ethiopian?... They received the holy ghost but didn't speak in tongues immediately. So one shouldn't be expecting another to speak in tongues just because hands have been laid upon them. Let's try to be led instead and stop developing formulas. Nor be mathematics na... grin

When a man was to be healed of leprosy, the healer tells them to go and bathe in a river. Does this now mean that's the only way to heal leprosy?

There are some things writing that are just assumed that we know what they talked about.

But again, scripture says "we don't know what we should pray for as we ought to, but the Spirit helps us with groanings which cannot be uttered"

Well, how does the Spirit help us pray with groanings which cannot be uttered?

Because just praying according to the will of God in English is not a groaning and the English language can definitely be uttered.

What's your take on this?

Thanks for asking what my take is. It shows you're willing to learn what you may have missed or misconstrued. God bless you

It helps to pray and speak in tongues. Sure. I agree. But let's not impose it on people based on our incomplete understanding of happenings in the acts in scriptures concerning tongues. JMAN05 has something to say too, kindly check his recent comment

Tongues is no more a gift that all are expected to manifest than is the gift of prophecy, healing, or miracles. Yet many teach that tongues is the one gift that is for all. Some say that one is not filled with the Holy Spirit without speaking in tongues; others believe that only those who speak in tongues are saved. The Bible never says so. One must decide whether to believe God or men

Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 26, 2015
IdeeEsperanza:
Why do some churches (doctrines) insist that speaking/praying in tongues is a must? I know of a sister who told me that whenever the choristers commit an offence, they are punished by asking to praying in tongues for an hour. What's your take on this?

Hehehe! That's so funny. It shouldn't be the case. Speaking in tongues is given by the spirit when he wills it and cannot, I repeat, cannot be summoned by the vessel through whom he utters groanings or tongues or whatnot.

It's good to speak in tongues, but if you don't, don't let anyone make you feel less of a saint than you are. If you want it, you could pray to God to give you the gift. That's why paul advised that we "desire" earnestly some gifts...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

RCCG 2013 Prophecies By Pastor E.A ADEBOYE / The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria / An Excerpt: The Sword Of Solomon By F.w. Boreham

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.