Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,658 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Corruption, Worst Rights Violation Ever — President Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption, Worst Rights Violation Ever — President Buhari (419 Views)

Sanitation Violation: 170 Caged In Enugu (Photos, Video) / If I Am Ever President, I'm Detaining People I Hate Irrespective Of Court Ruling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corruption, Worst Rights Violation Ever — President Buhari by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 24, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday described
corruption as the greatest human rights violation ever. Justifying the reason why his administration is waging a
large scale war against graft, Buhari said the effects of
corruption were manifest in suffering, deprivation and
death that innocent people were being exposed to. He therefore urged Nigerian lawyers to support his administration to win the war against corruption.

According to a statement issued by his Senior Special
Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, the President spoke at the opening of the 55th Annual General Conference of the Nigerian Bar Association in Abuja. He called on Nigerian lawyers to support his
administration’s war against corruption and help the
country return to the path of rectitude by making Nigerian courts functional and effective again.
Noting that lawyers are often in the vanguard of the
defence of human rights, Buhari urged them to view
corruption too as a gross violation of human rights.
He said, “For the masses of our people, the millions still wallowing in want and diseases, corruption is a major reason why they cannot go to school; why they cannot be gainfully employed; and why there are few doctors, nurses and drugs in their hospitals and health centres. “It is the reason why pensioners are not paid and potable water is scarce.
“In effect, corruption diverts public resources meant for
millions of people into the private pockets of a greedy few, thereby causing a lot of suffering, deprivation and death.
“In my view, there can be no greater violation of human rights.
“Viewed in this way, I think we can all fully appreciate the gravity of this oppressive and destructive evil. This should rouse us to fight it with the same zeal and doggedness as we deploy in the defence of fundamental rights.”

The President also told the lawyers not to sacrifice the
integrity of the country’s legal system in a bid to cover the misdeeds of their clients, no matter how lucrative the brief may be. He said he was convinced that law, lawmakers, lawyers, law courts and law enforcement agencies had responsibilities to discharge, if the change Nigerians earnestly seek would ever materialise.

http://www.punchng.com/news/corruption-worst-rights-violation-ever-buhari/
Re: Corruption, Worst Rights Violation Ever — President Buhari by olafum1(m): 7:48am On Aug 24, 2015
Too much talkie
Re: Corruption, Worst Rights Violation Ever — President Buhari by HDee(m): 7:58am On Aug 24, 2015
Tell 'em my president grin

1 Like

Re: Corruption, Worst Rights Violation Ever — President Buhari by Psalm351(m): 8:05am On Aug 24, 2015
k
Re: Corruption, Worst Rights Violation Ever — President Buhari by prospero5(m): 8:21am On Aug 24, 2015
hmm!

(1) (Reply)

APC Lagos Is One Family – Tinubu / Must Read! Presidency Statement On Buhari And Osinbajo’s Declared Asset / Arrest Anyone Inciting Violence—police IG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.