Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,145 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

My Encounter; How Police Officers Go About In The Street Arresting The Innocents - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Encounter; How Police Officers Go About In The Street Arresting The Innocents (856 Views)

Ozubulu Church Killings: We Are Close To Arresting The Gunman - Obiano / Arresting The Trend Of Intra Ethnic/Regional Bigotry Stoked By Miserable Aliens / Most Attractive Female Police Officers In Nigeria (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Encounter; How Police Officers Go About In The Street Arresting The Innocents by onismate: 9:16am On Aug 24, 2015
Writing this piece, I feel terribly angered in me that the officers who are entrusted to bring about law and order, protect the lives of citizens, they have turned to terrorists, scaring citizens. Note, no one is perfect. Even in America and other part of the world, none of their law enforcement agencies and officers are perfect but they are at least better. But the Nigerian police officers are far from better, only but a few.
On Friday, 21/08/2015 after much work in my office. At about 5:30pm, I left the office and headed home. I got to the house and thank God my dad was not at shop A joint. The shop A joint is a store very close to my house building. Just a fence demacation between us. But from our house window one can see what was happening there. And there was another shop (Shop B) which was directly opposite our building.
So it was usual for me not to find my dad in either shop A or B because those were his usual spots in the evening when he’s not doing anything. He goes there to relax, chat up with some people for few minutes and come back to the house. I met my father inside the house just finished eating. I guessed it was the food that made him stay inside that kind of time. Me sef come relax and chop my own food too.
Barely 15 minutes later, I and my dad were seated at the varander chatting when a police van drove by. I thought they were driving by, but they stopped and reversed to where shop A was. The woman who owns the shop was carrying her baby on her arms as the baby slept. They got to were shop A was stopped the car. Na so two police officers jump come out for the van go were two men sit don for the shop. “Oya follow us,” one of them said. They dragged two men sitting on there own and pushed them into the car. And I asked myself “Just like that!” one of the men they pushed into the car, I learnt he just came there to but bread or something else. So after buying, he decided to stay back was chatting with the second man. The woman that owns the shop was just watching what was going on. Maybe she she challenges them, they may come for her too. The husband of the woman that owns shop A was repairing his car with a mechanic at the opposite side. Himself saw what was happening and couldn’t even speak. The officers with guns are not smiling. Who can challenge them! Na make them come am join them go cell! After the police officers pushed the two guys into the car, they went to were the husband was repairing his car and started asking him why he was pouring engine oil out of his car to the ground. Imagine that kind question. Na so the man tell them say he dey repair him car. As they were talking with the man, one of the men they pushed into the car, the one that came to buy bread, he jumped out of the van and began running. Na so two of the officers begin pursue am oo. He ran towards shop B and entered into the shop of one Hajia that is a tailor. Na so the police follow am with their guns. The hajia begin shout oo, “Abeg ooo make una no shoot oo.” The guy ran out through the second door of the shop. I even thought the officers would shoot but they didn’t. But it was unfortunate for the running man because a car parked along the way was an obstacle, if not he would have ran and won’t be caught. Unless the officers shot at him. But unfortunately, he was caught and beaten badly. One of the officers sprayed tear gas directly into his eyes. Na so them carry these people waka oo. As they were going. I saw the barber who cuts my hair inside the van too. When the police left, I was told that they were just arresting people randomly in the street. The barber went somewhere and was returning. Na so them police carry the barber. I began wondering what the Nigerian police force was turning into. How can you just come and start picking picking people randomly. As I was wondering, a boy came out of no where and began bragging that he was the one the police officers were looking for. And when I was coming back from work, I saw the boy in shop B and suddenly he disappeared. Maybe he was indeed who they were looking for. He looked rugged and iresponsible, smoking weed. He said he was leaving the street right away. Na so he tell the woman for shop B make she give am cigar. He bought and began bragging that he was released some days back and they are stiill coming for him again. And I began wondering, if he was released days back and if the police officers recognized him, why didn’t they go for him and go to his house? Why picking up people randomly in the street.
As people began entering the street to know what was happening. They blamed the man that ran out of the police van. That if he was innocent, why running. But why won’t he run? Shey he get money to bail himself. He has never seen that kind of thing before and many people felt he was innocent. That was why he ran. Thank God for me too. If my dad would have been in shop A when police officers came, no be so them for carry the old man too. Or maybe I was there because after eating, I was planning to go there to buy biscuit, if I for they there, na so dem go pick me join them.
As we were still there at the veranda, people started trooping to shop B to ask what was happening. Barely 15 minutes time, the police van came back again. They stopped in shop B. They picked 4 guys sitting on a chair. And these 4 guys, two of them are resident in the compound where shop B is located. And these 4 guys were sitting in that position when the officers came the first time to shop A. If they did something, why didn’t the officers arrest them that first time. E come be say na the second time. And I learnt they were 5 sitting on the chair but one of them went inside the house to go to toilet. Na when he come back he come see say them pack the other 4 guys and some other people away by the police. He began rejoicing and thanking God he went inside, if not the police would have packed all of them together. Some guys that came from other streets, hearing what was happening in our street. They know “Seeing is believing.” So they came to see and hear gossips. It was unfortunate that the police picked some of them that second time. And if you talk or start asking why you are being taking, they will start beating and spraying you tear gas.
Still on the arresting matter. As the officers left shop B, they moved to another compound. Then I knew that they (the police officers) don’t know what they are doing. They are just picking people randomly in the street. They want weekend money. So once there family members come for bail. They would pay up to N10k to N20k for bail. E dey pain me because, can’t someone sit in his compound again! Can’t someone walk on the streets without harrassment from Nigerian police officers? Some of the people arrested were sitting je-jely in their compound when the police came to pick them.
The Nigerian police officers are not our friend at all. They are only friend to our money. And I fell that the Force needs total overhauling. President Buhari should do something fast.
The new trend now is to go about arresting people walking on the streets, in there compounds...

http://www.hovabuzz.com/frontline/1030-the-nigerian-police-officers-are-not-your-friend
Re: My Encounter; How Police Officers Go About In The Street Arresting The Innocents by Nobody: 9:18am On Aug 24, 2015
notwithstanding the police remains our friends...
Re: My Encounter; How Police Officers Go About In The Street Arresting The Innocents by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:40am On Aug 24, 2015
Dharniel:
notwithstanding the police remains our friends...

Which friend? I will rather become a loner than been friend with a Nigerian Police. Those guys in black and second to Devil.

In Nigeria, we fear armed robber pass police
Re: My Encounter; How Police Officers Go About In The Street Arresting The Innocents by Jorussia(m): 9:46am On Aug 24, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

Which friend? I will rather become a loner than been friend with a Nigerian Police. Those guys in black and second to Devil.

In Nigeria, we fear armed robber pass police
we should learn to Appreciate our own.
Re: My Encounter; How Police Officers Go About In The Street Arresting The Innocents by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:56am On Aug 24, 2015
Jorussia:
we should learn to Appreciate our own.

Appreciation is not just given, it is earned.

Nigeria police are beast. I prefer to be in the hand of armed robber than been in the net of Nigerian police men.
Re: My Encounter; How Police Officers Go About In The Street Arresting The Innocents by Jorussia(m): 10:04am On Aug 24, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

Appreciation is not just given, it is earned.

Nigeria police are beast. I prefer to be in the hand of armed robber than been in the net of Nigerian police men.
I suspect that you are a teenager,you don't know the gravity of the statement you just made.There is no police organization anywhere in the world,without any form of lapses.
Re: My Encounter; How Police Officers Go About In The Street Arresting The Innocents by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:27am On Aug 24, 2015
Jorussia:
I suspect that you are a teenager,you don't know the gravity of the statement you just made.There is no police organization anywhere in the world,without any form of lapses.

Does being a teenager what matters to you or the weight of my experience?

Nigerian police are evil and demonic thugs which you wont pray encountering some day. They are legalised criminals and muderers. Their crudeness have no respect for human right and moral value.

Do you even read what the OP posted? Did you read a bad experience posted on front page which a Nairalander had first hand? Have you encountered them once? Then I see reason why you praise them or probably because you are officer or a family of yours is one.

The problem of Nigeria starts with Police. Value for law respect is been upholded by Police but corruption has eaten them up. Report have it that police steals, rob, rape detained gals, you have experience their daily distortion, shooting carelessly and serving the cilivian unjustly.

Nigerian Police are not our friends. Will your friend rape your sister? Will your friend take bribe to upturn justice? Will your friend give space for armed robbers to have a feast on you only to turn around and arrest you?

Cut the crap dude!
Re: My Encounter; How Police Officers Go About In The Street Arresting The Innocents by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:21pm On Aug 24, 2015
Jorussia:

Adult. Is this the kindly of price you call my friend https://www.nairaland.com/2549087/policemen-kill-trailer-driver-assistant who kill around like a wild beast

(1) (Reply)

FFK- OBJ Taught Me Never To Join Issues With Imbeciles, Fools &the Living-dead / Protests Against Baro’s Suspension Intensifies In Uvwie LG, Delta State, Nigeria / Come And Join Us, PDP Appeals To Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.