Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (138) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4385834 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 10:35pm On Feb 12, 2016
Onion16:
Hello house. I've been reading this forum for a while and have decided to embark on my project to begin a landlord even though i am based abroad i have contacted an engineer in helping me build a 16 rooms self contained hostel in Abeokuta. This is the quote for Labor of foundation and DPC the Engineer provided and i would appreciate a second opinion to know if it is fair because i cant confirm myself. This would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
going through again, the cost of labour for foundation is 870k while the 2.9m is a grand total of different stuffs(total labour) I guess. 870 is very ok for labour only.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 10:36pm On Feb 12, 2016
EgunMogaji:

My Chief I hail and remain loyal grin

Nothing would please me more than to give my job to Abdulwastecx, Skimanski, Spyder880, Aventures, KolaShangOne, Julius Berger (na joke o), Brabus (yes Brabus - I won't try to cheat him and he won't resort to having to upmanship me) because I would be able to relax and sleep at night and know that I am getting as good as a job as possible. BUT better soup na money kill am grin The truth is that after my calculations I cannot afford a site Supervisor for my project. It's better to realize this and work around it than to have a stalled project or piss off a busy Supervisor.

After all this has been said I ask you this question, Shouldn't a plumb and straight job be the signature of every single bricklayer? Quality shouldn't be expensive. Yes, a Rolls Royce is more expensive than a Honda Accord but an Honda Accord is 100% a solid car.

Now on the education part, I absolutely am secure that after a 6 months apprenticeship the quality of workmanship will increase a 100 fold. We as Nigerians are blessed with brains that soak up knowledge, I am of the firm opinion that with the right exposure to technology and tools that he'll improve his workmanship.

I built evidence #1 by myself just from casually watching the crew that was building my house.

Evidence #2 is what they are attempting to use to frame my german floor (we'll see about that) but I assure you that no US trained workman will allow this on his site.

I am in total agreement with you sir, we need to upt our game and do things properly.

I love that that wooden framed cabin you built yourself sir. I can you been a very good carpenter from what you built over their sir.

The bottom line is continuous education and further improvement based on current practice.

When I look at a project, I look at a better way to get them done at the cheapest cost possible, for example their was one project like that that was done in cross river ( calabar) by a non Nairalander engineer/ builder.
The building was done on a sloping terrain and I believe a lot of resources was extended to the project without proper analysis and study of the slope properties.
So much money could have been saved by trying something different such as grading the soil to the back and build a retaining wall to support the earth and do a proper foul drainage to take whatever water to the front.
This is is just one example of things that can be done properly.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dieumerci(m): 10:42pm On Feb 12, 2016
Horlawoomey:
I will be glad if someone here can help me address this.

I am a recent graduate with HND in Civil Engineering, I have up to two years working experience in the construction and real estate sector and just finished my NYSC last year.

I am proficient in the use of AutoCAD for drafting, Microsoft office packages, social network platforms, site supervision, quantity estimation and I can communicate orally and verbally.

I just need an opportunity to be in the industry in order to gain more experience and not to stay idle due to my passion for construction and real estate development. I won't mind little financial assistance though, I am a very loyal and trustworthy individual with great interest in real estate business and I can be reached on 0813 513 4212 or huthman27@gmail.com for my RESUME.

Pls sir, what is the difference between orally and verbally.

And what is little financial assistance meant for?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dieumerci(m): 10:45pm On Feb 12, 2016
lastpage:
Can any BUILDING PROFESSIONAL tell me when it is the best time to remove the Bamboo struts under a Decking, from the day of Casting the Decking?

I have heard 10 days, 14 days, 21 days, 23 days...... but l want to know which is right, and why?
Tnx

Lastpage!

I heard it's 21 - 28 days to allow for proper curing and to prevent a collapse.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlawoomey(m): 11:21pm On Feb 12, 2016
Dieumerci:

Pls sir, what is the difference between orally and verbally.

And what is little financial assistance meant for?

Thanks for the question, let me address that of finance first. Little financial assistance means token that will serve as a form of motivation, it may be a little bellow average but should be able to cover daily transport fare and feeding.

on orally and verbally, I think I goof on that, repeating two words with same meaning. Oral and written communication should have been appropriate.

That said, Sir, I am happy you went through my plight and will like to know how you can be of help to my request. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 11:30pm On Feb 12, 2016
mufutau55:

I think I like the Daniella color better (but white is good too)... and this should go nicely with POP cornice on the bottom.
I came across a picture of combination sometime ago, but unfortunately I did not save it.
For the price of the POP you inquire, I think you should direct that question to Dominionng for various prices.
Thank you.
@Dominionng

Hajji M.
lawali:

Hajji Mufutau, It seems the white Amoula PVC will go with POP in corners of the room? Pls do you have any picture of where these are combined? I just keep imagining but will like to see pics of similar work? Pls remind me of average cost of doing POP per sqmeter (with/without cornice) material and labour inclusive. Thanks

Thanks for the 'heads-up' Sir.

Below are pics of PVC ceiling with POP cornice at the edge of the wall.

POP cornice is calculated in metres and price ranges from N1,000 - N1,300 per meter. And POP pre-cast ceiling ranges from N2,600 - N3,500 per sqm. Volume, location and designs a deciding factor.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlawoomey(m): 11:31pm On Feb 12, 2016
lastpage:
Can any BUILDING PROFESSIONAL tell me when it is the best time to remove the Bamboo struts under a Decking, from the day of Casting the Decking?

I have heard 10 days, 14 days, 21 days, 23 days...... but l want to know which is right, and why?
Tnx

Lastpage!

It should be 28 days after casting, that time the concrete would have reached it maximum strength. Make sure it is well cured though.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:46pm On Feb 12, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I am in total agreement with you sir, we need to upt our game and do things properly.

I love that that wooden framed cabin you built yourself sir. I can you been a very good carpenter from what you built over their sir.

The bottom line is continuous education and further improvement based on current practice.

When I look at a project, I look at a better way to get them done at the cheapest cost possible, for example their was one project like that that was done in cross river ( calabar) by a non Nairalander engineer/ builder.
The building was done on a sloping terrain and I believe a lot of resources was extended to the project without proper analysis and study of the slope properties.
So much money could have been saved by trying something different such as grading the soil to the back and build a retaining wall to support the earth and do a proper foul drainage to take whatever water to the front.
This is is just one example of things that can be done properly.

Trust me I fought both my architect Darynex and my builder on changing my plan to suit my sloppy site. I think I even got pissed at you too because you designed something other than what I want.

We have a saying in Yoruba, a prayer of sorts, "may god not let us eat what we find, but to reach into our pocket and buy what we wish to eat". At the end of the day I would have "settled" for a reasonable plan that took advantage of my lot but then I would never be happy with it because it wasn't what I envisioned.

So who knows about that Calabar issue, maybe the owner is a bullheaded knucklehead like me that see's a vision that no one else sees grin

Again, a tip of my bowler hat to you Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mikymouse1(m): 1:56am On Feb 13, 2016
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen. Please, what is the fair amount to pay a builder who supervised the construction of my 4 bedroom bungalow from Clearing of the site to 'move in stage '. We did not bargain nor negotiate before he started. I have not asked him yet, he is a good friend of mine and like a brother too and I don't want this job to adversely affect our relationship . The house is in abuja. Pls guys, assist me
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 2:28am On Feb 13, 2016
mikymouse1:
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen. Please, what is the fair amount to pay a builder who supervised the construction of my 4 bedroom bungalow from Clearing of the site to 'move in stage '. We did not bargain nor negotiate before he started. I have not asked him yet, he is a good friend of mine and like a brother too and I don't want this job to adversely affect our relationship . The house is in abuja. Pls guys, assist me

Just close your eyes and write a cheque for a billion naira for him! grin grin grin (what are friends for?)

On a serious note, there is no way of finding a fair price in this regard because we dont know;

If he was coming from Bayelsa to work in the site everyday or based in Abj city
If he was working full time everyday or part time
If he was sleeping in a shack on site or at Sheraton Abuja cheesy
If the building lasted a month or a year
If the 4 bedroom bungalow was of normal standard or Dangote taste cheesy

The best thing to do is to ask him now, (since you may have missed the chance earlier) and whatever he says, negotiate the price down to manageable levels.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:59am On Feb 13, 2016
Dominionng:

POP cornice is calculated in metres and price ranges from N1,000 - N1,300 per meter.
And POP pre-cast ceiling ranges from N2,600 - N3,500 per sqm.
Volume, location and designs a deciding factor.

I know you are the best in the POP business... and this is a fact not a theory.
Your work has never disappointed any of my friends sent to you.
Thanks for the pictures.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 8:27am On Feb 13, 2016
lastpage:

Tnx

Lastpage!
normally it takes between hours and 3 day for concrete to set, but theres no specific duration for it to cure completely, but 28day is the generally accepted duration for it to achieve a reasonable compressive strength of abt 3000psi. thus being able to carry load on its own without any failure. this also varies depending on the strength due to mix, admixtures used and all that.... grin grin the little I know

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mikymouse1(m): 9:01am On Feb 13, 2016
spyder880:

Just close your eyes and write a cheque for a billion naira for him! grin grin grin (what are friends for?)

On a serious note, there is no way of finding a fair price in this regard because we dont know;

If he was coming from Bayelsa to work in the site everyday or based in Abj city
If he was working full time everyday or part time
If he was sleeping in a shack on site or at Sheraton Abuja cheesy
If the building lasted a month or a year
If the 4 bedroom bungalow was of normal standard or Dangote taste cheesy

The best thing to do is to ask him now, (since you may have missed the chance earlier) and whatever he says, negotiate the price down to manageable levels.

Thanks my brother, I will surely ask him, I just wanted to have an idea of what to expect. As per the other variables, raised in your response; 1. He lives and works in abuja. 2. The job was done part time as he was handling 2 other jobs while executing mine. 3. The job lasted approximately one year. 4. Minus the cost of land and building approval, the total cost was about 8m. In the light of the aforementioned , what do think constitute a 'fair' price to both parties. Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brokensword: 9:32am On Feb 13, 2016
Lol thanks Egun .I appreciate, if I've my way which I'm already planning, I'll go for a technical course that will last for a year, (wall framing,building maintenance,or construction technology-residential building and renovation! any idea again?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EndiaSami: 9:35am On Feb 13, 2016
mufutau55:

Thanks for the pictures.

Hajji M.

"best in the POP business".... Dominionng!! smiley
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brokensword: 9:39am On Feb 13, 2016
abdulwastecx Lol you know Nigeria is quite far from modern civilization in terms of construction/due to the fact we lack the technical know how to execute any intended project, ask yourself why do we prefer foreigners to execute our project (huge project) than our own engineers? even in finishing, Nigerians do employ foreigners with the skill to de the job,not that we can't do it the rightful way but,the skills we acquired during the course of our training is limited.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 11:58am On Feb 13, 2016
Dominionng:

POP cornice is calculated in metres and price ranges from N1,000 - N1,300 per meter. And POP pre-cast ceiling ranges from N2,600 - N3,500 per sqm. Volume, location and designs a deciding factor.

Dominion is a game changer.... I love ideas like this and neat workmanship like yours, we will surely work together

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:00pm On Feb 13, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Dominion is a game changer.... I love ideas like this and neat workmanship like yours, we will surely work together

To put it simply... it will be one of the best "Collabo".
I have sent many people his way, and he has never disappointed.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:00pm On Feb 13, 2016
mufutau55:

To put it simply... it will be one of the best "Collabo".

Hajji M.

Thanks sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:11pm On Feb 13, 2016
This is a low cost three bedroom mini estate design I have been playing with for some days.
My aim is to produce simple design with a very low cost appeal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 1:39pm On Feb 13, 2016
Nice one.

This is what I need.

Dominionng:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 2:19pm On Feb 13, 2016
abdulwastecx:
This is a low cost three bedroom mini estate design I have been playing with for some days.
.........Nice concept, how much will 4unit go for a design like this within Lagos Mainland..(dry land ) cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:29pm On Feb 13, 2016
4nobody4every1:
.........Nice concept, how much will 4unit go for a design like this within Lagos Mainland..(dry land ) cool

Send me your mail sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 2:33pm On Feb 13, 2016
mufutau55:

Thanks for the pictures.

Hajji M.

You have been too kind Sir. You honour me more than I deserve. Thanks for being a worthy mentor.

Kind regards...

Dominion.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olumide4christ: 3:15pm On Feb 13, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Wow!! I love your good use of flat lean-to roofs in a simple way to economise cost. Keep on the good work!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 3:56pm On Feb 13, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Lovely
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PeoplesArmy: 4:14pm On Feb 13, 2016
mikymouse1:

Thanks my brother, I will surely ask him, I just wanted to have an idea of what to expect. As per the other variables, raised in your response; 1. He lives and works in abuja. 2. The job was done part time as he was handling 2 other jobs while executing mine. 3. The job lasted approximately one year. 4. Minus the cost of land and building approval, the total cost was about 8m. In the light of the aforementioned , what do think constitute a 'fair' price to both parties. Thank you.

Paying him anything between 5% to 7.5% of that amount won't be a bad idea. I believe friends should remunerated fairly if they have done a good job.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PeoplesArmy: 4:19pm On Feb 13, 2016
abdulwastecx:

This looks great! What is the size of the plot? How many flats are in this first picture?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 4:56pm On Feb 13, 2016
PeoplesArmy:

This looks great! What is the size of the plot? How many flats are in this first picture?

The plot is 72m x 72m and we are planning to have 16 units on it.
The building is designed to be for low income income families.

Each of the building will sit on a 16m x 18m each. The layout is designed in a way to allow a six meters width road.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Gloriouspa(m): 5:30pm On Feb 13, 2016
Hello House,

We at Gloriouspath Nigeria Enterprises, are into horticulture, landscaping and beautification works.

We do plant fresh grasses, flowers, shrubs, palms, trees etc. that will make your house, office and environment looks more beautiful at affordable prices.

Please call us today for a quote on your project.

Call Mr. John

email: gloriouswrite@gmail.com

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:44pm On Feb 13, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Are you going to have a high slope ceiling or the regular low flat ceiling?

I'm facing this quagmire. Is the cost difference minimal?

Thanks.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 6:00pm On Feb 13, 2016
Horlawoomey:

Thanks for the question, let me address that of finance first. Little financial assistance means token that will serve as a form of motivation, it may be a little bellow average but should be able to cover daily transport fare and feeding.

on orally and verbally, I think I goof on that, repeating two words with same meaning. Oral and written communication should have been appropriate.

That said, Sir, I am happy you went through my plight and will like to know how you can be of help to my request. Thanks in anticipation.
i like your sense of communication and determination. How i wish i have a placement for you right now. I started like this i went through a training under a well grounded engineer for four straight years after my my first degree in civil engineering at a very small salary and that really helped me even to attained my professional certification. I just engaged some young Engineers and i hope to be of help shortly.

(1) (2) (3) ... (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Scrap, Talktalk2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.