Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,169 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2527) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4384240 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2524) (2525) (2526) (2527) (2528) (2529) (2530) ... (3666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 6:05pm On Oct 16, 2021
ApolitiCal:
Please, experts in the building construction, what is the quantity of the metcopo aluminium required to roof a house of area 187.043msq?
Thanks.

CC money121
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abuiltech(m): 6:09pm On Oct 16, 2021
soonest:
Pls who has experience with this. My sweethome water heater is not getting as hot as i wish even though it's set in high.
2. My shower set has a very low hot water pressure. Very discouraging to use

In addition to what's the experts said, low pressure in shower is not always caused by malfunctioning water heater, the problem might be extensive, at times this might be due to the long time formation of mineral deposits (scaling) in pipes or in water heater tank, minerals like calcium and magnesium, are the culprits, this is very likely is if the water is hard or the building is old,

What to do

Get the plumber, and fix it, although he knows what to do but this can still be helpful

Step 1. Plumber can remove the water heater, and loop both hot line and cold line with flexible connector, he should on the shower, if pressure at the hotline its still same, the problem might be due is scaling, but he can try step 2

Step 2:

Remove the shower and plug the cold line, check the flow of water, if it's the same, it's might be due to scaling, especially if the pipe is copper pipe and building is an old building,

Step 3: but if there's is change in flow, just clean the shower but in and out, and fix it back, the problem of hotline low pressure should be solved, with that,

After which you can get the water heater repaired, or get the pressure relief valve replaced, or both, with this, you should have your hot water

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 6:25pm On Oct 16, 2021
Theyrem:
My Oga(s) on this thread, please help my life o. I'm a bricklayer and experience dey but I haven't worked for months now. Hunger wan finish me for house. If anyone can find somewhere fix me on one of your sites, I'll be very happy. Family dey hungry o. Please help
O8O65181895

Call this number : +2348105674115

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 8:20pm On Oct 16, 2021
KolaShangOne:
Dont yab me ooo..

Has anyone thought of using Aluco boards for gates? It's going to be lightweight and CHEAPER I guess.

My welder in Ajah has been sending me gate prices from 450,000 upwards..

Have you seen sample of Alucoboard made gate before? It would be interesting to see that. The finishing will look more beautiful but the durability may not be good.

Over to you n3xt. Take on the challenge

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:40pm On Oct 16, 2021
Focusmind:

Have you seen sample of Alucoboard made gate before? It would be interesting to see that. The finishing will look more beautiful but the durability may not be good.

Over to you n3xt. Take on the challenge

Alucoboard is not my thing though. Even stainless steel gates is not something I’m likely to consider too for finishing and strength.

I’d have taken up the challenge but my plate dey full right now. However, there are cool alucoboard sturvs to explore at Qualitik’s in Dopemu, Lagos.

https://www.qualitiks-mart.com/

Na there I dey do my perspex acrylic sheet, polycarbonate, foamboards, wood composite etc.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:46pm On Oct 16, 2021
Slatted Fence Panel | Contemporary Feel

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 8:55pm On Oct 16, 2021
n3xt:

Alucoboard is not my thing though. Even stainless steel gates is not something I’m likely to consider too for finishing and strength.

I’d have taken up the challenge but my plate dey full right now. However, there are cool alucoboard sturvs to explore at Qualitik’s in Dopemu, Lagos.

https://www.qualitiks-mart.com/

Na there I dey do my perspex acrylic sheet, polycarbonate, foamboards, wood composite etc.

They seems loaded, but their prices may be higher compare to the open market prices.
Interesting stuff in their showroom. Honestly, I will explore the option of alucobond made sliding gate. I like my gate to be light and beautiful
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by soonest(f): 9:07pm On Oct 16, 2021
abuiltech:

In addition to what's the experts said, low pressure in shower is not always caused by malfunctioning water heater, the problem might be extensive, at times this might be due to the long time formation of mineral deposits (scaling) in pipes or in water heater tank, minerals like calcium and magnesium, are the culprits, this is very likely is if the water is hard or the building is old,

What to do

Get the plumber, and fix it, although he knows what to do but this can still be helpful

Step 1. Plumber can remove the water heater, and loop both hot line and cold line with flexible connector, he should on the shower, if pressure at the hotline its still same, the problem might be due is scaling, but he can try step 2

Step 2:

Remove the shower and plug the cold line, check the flow of water, if it's the same, it's might be due to scaling, especially if the pipe is copper pipe and building is an old building,

Step 3: but if there's is change in flow, just clean the shower but in and out, and fix it back, the problem of hotline low pressure should be solved, with that,

After which you can get the water heater repaired, or get the pressure relief valve replaced, or both, with this, you should have your hot water

Thanks for answering me but it's a new house, new heater and new shower, will minerals have built up so soon?
Thanks for arming me with these info
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by soonest(f): 9:10pm On Oct 16, 2021
walexProjects:

Solutions
1.The main water heating element which is the Thermostat is faulty and needs to be replaced.

2.You need to check the shut off valve of the cold water pipes running to the hot water. It might have been tampered with or broken.
Another major cause of this is corroded pipes.
You need to check the hot water and cold water connection around the shower area.

Get a plumber to fix it for you.

Nawa o, new heater already developing element problem. Phew! Will get a new plumber to check it out, this my own is confused

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by soonest(f): 9:12pm On Oct 16, 2021
rotecch77:

1. You need to change the heater element( the thermostat there is just to control the hotness of the boiler element)
Solution total replacement of the element.

2. The flexible connectors from the hot line that connect to the hot point of the shower is blocked

( solutions total replacement of the flexible ) cost btw 500-1000

Thanks Rotecch 77. Any idea of cost of replacing the element?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:23pm On Oct 16, 2021
soonest:

Thanks Rotecch 77. Any idea of cost of replacing the element?

Sweet home parts is not common to get , reason why I like Ariston heater over sweet home
But budget btw 5-8k for the element [ at times both are sold together (element and thermostat) btw 10-12k or so )

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:38pm On Oct 16, 2021
soonest:

Thanks for answering me but it's a new house, new heater and new shower, will minerals have built up so soon?
is this place Lekki?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abuiltech(m): 9:58pm On Oct 16, 2021
soonest:

Not likely, but which pipe? PPR or what?
when was the issue, started? Have you enjoyed uninterrupted hot water supply for once,

Because at times if PPR is not properly melt (over melting), reduces the internal diameter of the pipe, this will affect the flow rate,

Don't be worried, I'm optimistic, you will get the solution, just call your plumber, it might not even as complex as what we thinks, at times ordinary cleaning of shower and few maintenance to water heater solve the problem,

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 10:17pm On Oct 16, 2021
Still in the matter, we finally install today
It's 7th working days grey color with 5mm grey glass, thick imported,
1.2 x1650 at mowe by nairalander here
900 x 1650
see the pictures below

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by iclass1: 12:32am On Oct 17, 2021
uncleteeh:

That's very simple.
After laying 3 to 4 courses, fill with concrete.
Do so repeatedly until it gets to the top.

Thanks so very much, really appreciate this
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bigrovar(m): 12:49am On Oct 17, 2021
michlins:
my advice about doors or anything else concerning building is simple.

If you can't afford the best of the foreign builds, go for our locally made products.

Any foreign door less than 250,000 for 3ft is not worth it. Just calculate the exchange rate and add the cost of shipping and clearing plus other expenses and profit and you will get an idea of what it's like. I saw some wooden doors in Lagos and trust me, they're better than any foreign door you can get with ₦1m in Nigeria now. Funny enough, they cost just about ₦100,000. But you order for them and they will start looking for the woods.

When it comes to rails, don't do anything stainless steel. I have been to an estate and majority of the rails there are already in pieces. And there's no one occupying the houses. The client I was on his project told me point black that none of those will touch his building.

What happens to imported goods is that our people will get there,see the available samples and their prices and choose to buy the least available quality while marking up the prices for maximum profits. Sometimes I don't blame them because the purchasing power of Nigerians are very small and can't afford the best quality. But then we have an insatiable taste for imported goods even if they're fake. I see Aba made shoes branded with made in Italy.

My advice is simple,build as if you're building forever. It's your project and your money so don't allow anyone put pressures on you. Money is hard to come by so spend it wisely.

If you have a plug to import goods and determine the quality, kindly do that. You will be glad you did. Anything outside of that, source your goods locally and determine the quality.

Let me enjoy my "sit at home". I'm supposed to be in Imo state but here we are

I hear this arguement a lot and it is simiply not true. Look at the situation with wires and electrical cables. till date Nigeria wire is the standard. This will show you that what people care about the most is quality and standards.

the problem is, the high cost of doing business in Nigeria makes it hard to be competitive and drives down productivity. Nigeria local manufactuers go through a lot just to come through. issues plenty.

the known ones like power, logistic infrasturture, difficult regulatory regime (SON, etc)

add other soft issues like lack of access to cheap capital to scale their business. A lot of local manufacturers don't have the scale to produce emass because they just don't have money to buy machineries.

The world is a global village and a door manufacturers in Nigeria is actually competing with manufacturers in other countries. If your competition has better climate than you he would sell better even to your market.

Yes we have good made in Nigeria building materials just often time they may not be of same variation or standard or design as some foreign brands but Nigerians still buy them. Even in America and China people still buy imported. What is important and a good judge of local manufacturing is export. How many people guy are stuff. How many do we. Can we export.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bigrovar(m): 1:01am On Oct 17, 2021
My people I have come again o for help. I just bought an estate property in Abuja for my use as residence.

The particular property is still in Caracas but the sale was for a finished house. I spoke with the developer of the estate on the need to align so that upgrade some of the standard finish they would use for the house.

He has introduced me to the people he buys market from. The things I intend to change are.

External doors and electrical fittings

I have been following the discussion around doors some thread back.

I need advise on external doors. The estate uses the cheap Chinese doors - double in front , single at the back.

I am looking at Turkish doors which from my findings cost between 160-180k for double doors

Or Israeli doors which cost about 250k to 300k

I am not looking for a bullet proof door just something that is durable and solid. Something you can not just kick open. I really don't know much about doors and what to watch out for. Please � advise would be appreciated.

On electrical socket. If there is any brand you can recommend I would appreciate too. Cheers.

NB I have attached a picture of the house in question

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 5:44am On Oct 17, 2021
bigrovar:
My people I have come again o for help. I just bought an estate property in Abuja for my use as residence.

The particular property is still in Caracas but the sale was for a finished house. I spoke with the developer of the estate on the need to align so that upgrade some of the standard finish they would use for the house.

He has introduced me to the people he buys market from. The things I intend to change are.

External doors and electrical fittings

I have been following the discussion around doors some thread back.

I need advise on external doors. The estate uses the cheap Chinese doors - double in front , single at the back.

I am looking at Turkish doors which from my findings cost between 160-180k for double doors

Or Israeli doors which cost about 250k to 300k

I am not looking for a bullet proof door just something that is durable and solid. Something you can not just kick open. I really don't know much about doors and what to watch out for. Please � advise would be appreciated.

On electrical socket. If there is any brand you can recommend I would appreciate too. Cheers.

NB I have attached a picture of the house in question

You might be looking for these, average cost for these imported doors are about N500,000.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 5:47am On Oct 17, 2021
They sell this single for N350,000 at Onitsha. I am sure it's also in Abuja.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 6:33am On Oct 17, 2021
@ Arbo contractor Ltd
We say happy Sunday to you all.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:12am On Oct 17, 2021
Cc: rottech77 grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 7:13am On Oct 17, 2021
#integrity

Even when the client is unaware….

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 7:13am On Oct 17, 2021
#integrity

Even when the client is unaware….

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bigrovar(m): 7:15am On Oct 17, 2021
spyder880:

You might be looking for these, average cost for these imported doors are about N500,000.

Thanks bro. Money good o just a bit over my budget sha. My sweet spot is around 500k for double front door and single back door sad

Is there a chance I can get a strong reliable security door. Doesn't have to be bullet proof. (I believe whatever would make someone shoot at your door, it's better you just open it for them. Your security is already compromised. Such person can easy come through the roof or shoot through the windows)

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:38am On Oct 17, 2021
New Week, New Challenge | Cantilevered Pool Pergola with an Arbor.

Need List

- 12’ x 12” x 2” Kiln Dried Pine Hardwood
- 12’ x 6” x 6” Cedar Post (I’d consider beech hardwood too).
- 5 sqm WPC Floor
- AstroTurf

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:46am On Oct 17, 2021
In The Making | Home Cinema

Installation of the acoustic foam pad for bass trap and fibre glass insulation ongoing.

The cinema room is too dark. No pic update on this yet.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:52am On Oct 17, 2021
n3xt:
Cc: rottech77 grin
I luv Dis
Happy wkd chief
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DanPix: 8:14am On Oct 17, 2021
Good morning everyone,
I bought a land from a real estate firm around April. They told me the survey plan would be ready in 3 months(july). It is October now and I am yet to get the survey plan. Does getting a survey plan take this long? What should I do pls? I have the deed.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Theyrem: 8:22am On Oct 17, 2021
@somehow, thanks a bunch

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bigrovar(m): 9:13am On Oct 17, 2021
n3xt:
In The Making | Home Cinema

Installation of the acoustic foam pad for bass trap and fibre glass insulation ongoing.

The cinema room is too dark. No pic update on this yet.

Wow nice one. Would be interesting to know the speaker system to be deployed. One of my fun hobbies is home speaker and audio system.

It is incredibly hard to get modern cinema Audi system in Nigeria likes of in ceiling Dolby Atmos or DTSX native 7.4.2 speaker systems is hard to find unless you are bringing from abroad

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:52am On Oct 17, 2021
bigrovar:

Wow nice one. Would be interesting to know the speaker system to be deployed. One of my fun hobbies is home speaker and audio system.

It is incredibly hard to get modern cinema Audi system in Nigeria likes of in ceiling Dolby Atmos or DTSX native 7.4.2 speaker systems is hard to find unless you are bringing from abroad

It’s nice catching up with a home theater hobbyist. I’ve been a member of avsforum for more than 2 decades.

Dolby Atmos is a big name to consider if you want to heighten your home cinema surround sound experience.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2524) (2525) (2526) (2527) (2528) (2529) (2530) ... (3666) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Olumighty123(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.