Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,689 members, 7,823,941 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3663) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4414594 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3660) (3661) (3662) (3663) (3664) (3665) (3666) ... (3671) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:54am On Apr 27
TeetoBolt:
Guys I need your help, my engineer is telling me that my foundation will be this tall due to swampy area, I am scared of the amount I will spend, any suggestions please

Soil test? Structural design ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 10:26am On Apr 27
FELICITY 15KWH LITHIUM BATTERY! LIMITED STOCK!!!

Brand new Felicity 15kwh lithium battery
FLATRATE PRICE: 3.6m

Standard product warranty applies.

For further enquiry & purchase;
Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL LINE::::: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: 081-703-85620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ishadfurnitures: 10:38am On Apr 27
Offcourse you be expecting your Raft foundation to be that tall ..thats a waterlogged land
TeetoBolt:
Guys I need your help, my engineer is telling me that my foundation will be this tall due to swampy area, I am scared of the amount I will spend, any suggestions please
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Boldez37: 11:00am On Apr 27
HOT SALE !!!

TWIN 3BEDROOM BUNGALOW , ON AN ACRE (6PLOT LAND) MEASURING AT 3180 SQM PERIMETER FENCED AND GATED IN A DEVELOPED COMMUNITY AT OLUWO, EGBEDA, NEW IFE ROAD IBADAN.

TITLE- C OF O DOCUMENT and building plans.

]b]Please Note - the entire acre / estate is being sold as one. Buyer can resell individually if chosen. [/b][/color]

ASKING PRICE: #28m (slightly negotiable )

CONTACT FOR SERIOUS ENQUIRY AND INSPECTION.

Kindly contact on +447424999475 (WhatsApp call / text ONLY).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Akerewe(m): 11:42am On Apr 27
TeetoBolt:

U can do bore piling nd pile cap instead. Talk to ur engineer about it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 12:10pm On Apr 27
JSD PRODUCTS AVAILABLE!!!

JSDsolar INVERTERS AND LITHIUM BATTERIES

3kw 24v, 80A 100Voc = 530,000

5.5kw 48v, 80A 500Voc ( 9 par)= 650,000

5.5kw 48v, 100A 500Voc (12 par) = 850,000

10kwh 48v JSDsolar lithium battery =2,500,000

WiFi module = 70,000

NB:.
1 year warranty on inverters
5 years warranty on lithium battery

Contact,

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chichilas: 12:29pm On Apr 27
Good afternoon everyone.

I would like to seek opinions from esteemed members and building experts here.

I am currently building a 2 storey(3 floor) house with about 40 pillars: The structural design stated 16mm rods for pillar reinforcement and we are adhering to it.

However, I have decided to change the roof design from an aluminum roof to a concrete slab(deck) roof for asthetics purposes and most importantly because I want to fill the entire roof with solar panels and we want to be able to move around it easily and clean them regularly.

Now my question is, do I need to add extra reinforcements for the structure to be able to take the roof slab? My structural engineer says a 4 inch roof slab will suffice and I do not need to add extra reinforcements. I am wondering if we should have just used 20mm rods for the pillars from the beginning.

Does anyone have an idea if the 16mm pillars will suffice to carry the additional load?

I appreciate and anticipate all responses.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olumighty123(m): 12:34pm On Apr 27
@Topsy23 please how much is 6mm cable now?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 1:25pm On Apr 27
Olumighty123:
@Topsy23 please how much is 6mm cable now?

Coleman
6mm 103,000 as at today, new price is coming out on Monday.

Lagostar 105,000

Witchtec to release new price on Monday
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Godisgreatest1: 1:42pm On Apr 27
TeetoBolt:

Good afternoon Sir,

I will advice you listen to his advice.

I was at a swampy area in Port Harcourt last Sunday and that is the trend. You can make enquiries about residential areas around Ibeto and some NPA areas in Port Harcourt. My friends foundation in that swampy area has a height of 9 coaches.

Houses with poor foundation have sunk several feet deep into the soil and the owners have sold their properties and vacated.

Kindly do your investigation. Well done Sir.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sconp: 2:37pm On Apr 27
Chichilas:
Good afternoon everyone.

I am currently building a 2 storey(3 floor) house with about 40 pillars: The structural design stated 16mm rods for pillar reinforcement and we are adhering to it.

However, I have decided to change the roof design from an aluminum roof to a concrete slab(deck) roof for asthetics purposes and most importantly because I want to fill the entire roof with solar panels and we want to be able to move around it easily and clean them regularly.

Now my question is, do I need to add extra reinforcements for the structure to be able to take the roof slab? My structural engineer says a 4 inch roof slab will suffice and I do not need to add extra reinforcements. I am wondering if we should have just used 20mm rods for the pillars from the beginning.

Does anyone have an idea if the 16mm pillars will suffice to carry the additional load?

Since you have a structural engineer, ask that he re-run the design and analysis to ensure it works, have him give you another drawing detailing the roof slab.

Also, you seem perturbed by the diameter of the steel reinforcement bars but the dimensions of the columns also plays a part.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by therealMcCain: 2:52pm On Apr 27
Hello to the house

Please I need suggestions on Self Contain apartment on a 50x100 land.

I need a contemporary design. The Architects I have engaged have not been able to give me what I want. I came up with this and I need your input.

1. I like Cross ventilation for the rooms. Folks have advised that since I am not going to stay, I shouldn't bother about it. I still want 2 windows for the rooms.

2. I like the idea of detached units(2 room), this gives me room to work and finish per unit without pressure(Budget Build)

3. What is the safest minimum spacing between each units-will 1m work?

4. Is there any disadvantage in this type of structure or arrangement?

Similar to this build https://www.nairaland.com/2971878/keeping-it-simple-n-clean

CC
twinskenny
mufutau55
OnMyHonor
michlins
diordaves

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chichilas: 2:55pm On Apr 27
sconp:

Since you have a structural engineer, ask that he re-run the design and analysis to ensure it works, have him give you another drawing detailing the roof slab.

Also, you seem perturbed by the diameter of the steel reinforcement bars but the dimensions of the columns also plays a part.

Thank you. We are at the second deck now so would be pretty difficult to change anything.

My engineer is actually saying we should go ahead and that we do not need to change anything.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ollykay619(m): 2:55pm On Apr 27
gbadexy:
Ongoing graffitex application in onitsha.
My prices are open, affordable and quality.
Affordable quality still remains the watch word.
Budget emulsion: N14000
Premium emulsion: N22000
Matte: N37000
Satin: N46000
Gloss N12000 per gallon
Basecoat:N13000
Which of these is best for screeded outside wall
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sconp: 2:57pm On Apr 27
Chichilas:

Thank you. We are at the second deck now so would be pretty difficult to change anything.

My engineer is actually saying we should go ahead and that we do not need to change anything.

He's your structural engineer and since he says to go ahead then I think that should allay your fears except if you need another person to take a look at it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 3:27pm On Apr 27
ollykay619:

Which of these is best for screeded outside wall
Matte emulsion
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 4:37pm On Apr 27
Do a soil test to confirm the nature of your subsoil and also know the appropriate foundation type. However, the final height of your foundation should be determined by the road level to avoid flood of your

TeetoBolt:
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:02pm On Apr 27
therealMcCain:
Hello to the house

Please I need suggestions on Self Contain apartment on a 50x100 land.

I need a contemporary design. The Architects I have engaged have not been able to give me what I want. I came up with this and I need your input.

1. I like Cross ventilation for the rooms. Folks have advised that since I am not going to stay, I shouldn't bother about it. I still want 2 windows for the rooms.

2. I like the idea of detached units(2 room), this gives me room to work and finish per unit without pressure(Budget Build)

3. What is the safest minimum spacing between each units-will 1m work?

4. Is there any disadvantage in this type of structure or arrangement?

Similar to this build https://www.nairaland.com/2971878/keeping-it-simple-n-clean

CC
twinskenny
mufutau55
OnMyHonor
michlins
diordaves

Adopting detached units is about the best approach, so I'm surprised that your architect is struggling to give you what you want in relation to cross ventilation of the rooms. You will struggle to get cross ventilation for the rooms if you adopt the terrace approach.

You are adopting the detached approach due to budgeting but this is more expensive to build as you will spend more on labour and materials cost.

Structurally, the distance of one meter between each units should be "safe" but I will go for a meter and a half for accessibility, flexibility of design, maintenance and fire overflow.

If cross ventilation is still an issue, see the attached two bedrooms floor plan. This is a classical two bed design. All rooms are cross ventilated, the living room is cross ventilated, the kitchen is cross ventilated with a balcony. Have a look at the plan to either adopt it or improve on it like for example, introducing a VT at the entrance and ensuite the second bedroom if that is your thing.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 5:08pm On Apr 27
This concrete wall has failed, i suggest you break it off and do a new one well reinforced, with adequate thickness and good mix ratio.

speak2bella:
Hello people, please I need your honest advice on how to remedy this sockaway project. The person is trying to build a precast sockaway because the soil is sandy. However, while trying to dig the ground so the precast sinks down, it cracked and why trying to figure that out, the side starts to compress.

I will be in the comment section to read your honest advice. Many thanks great minds.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 5:11pm On Apr 27
Ring beams construction for above ground large storage tank

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chidimercy: 5:12pm On Apr 27
Chichilas:

how many bars for the 16mm from foundation?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chichilas: 6:24pm On Apr 27
Chidimercy:
how many bars for the 16mm from foundation?

4 bars each per column
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Desvicson(m): 8:11pm On Apr 27
Dieumerci:
Ok hajji.
It's going to be an interesting thread.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by CELEBRITYSAND: 10:36am On Apr 28
Dear builders,

You can request online CELEBRITY SAND AND GRANITE VENDOR ON 08037136667   for supply of your bulding materials at a competitive price such as:
1. Granite
2. Sharp sand
3. Plaster sand
4. Top soil
5Filling Sand
6 concrete block.
7 blocks.
Site management  services
We deliver anywhere in   LAGOS NIGERIA

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dannie007(m): 11:12am On Apr 28
For your good and quality HDF Doors.

Contact OX Furniture

09090040008, 08066377733.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 11:47am On Apr 28
Chichilas:
Good afternoon everyone.

Aforxzy ....any suggestions?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dannie007(m): 2:18pm On Apr 28
Your Structural Engineer is Correct! All you need is a good Concrete mix ratio and a Good Iron Bender who is Experienced to handle the reinforcement steel. Most especially the stirrup need to have a Hook to hold the 16mm Rods in the pillars to withstand Load Bearing.

Chichilas:
Good afternoon everyone.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uwemjack(m): 4:56pm On Apr 28
sonnie10:
It's always better to use the window size in the design for a uniform window size which is aesthetically appealing, than to fabricate windows based on the bricklayers inaccurate dimensions on site. Break the blocks to fit the designed window sizes instead of the other way round.
In standard projects you don't work with site opening sizes for subcontractor work, you work with the designed schedules. Cos the openings need to be adjusted to the right size
Same thing as saying because the bricklayer set the door opening as 755mm you now construct a door size to fit that opening! That will be precarious!
The poor workmanship in this case is from the bricklayers who can't maintain designed dimensions.

Windows flying off plan is not related to measurement, but a flaw in the workmanship and not in any way related to building windows
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 5:01pm On Apr 28
uwemjack:

It's always better to use the window size in the design for a uniform window size which is aesthetically appealing, than to fabricate windows based on the bricklayers inaccurate dimensions on site. Break the blocks to fit the designed window sizes instead of the other way round.
In standard projects you don't work with site opening sizes for subcontractor work, you work with the designed schedules. Cos the openings need to be adjusted to the right size
The poor workmanship in this case is from the bricklayers who can't maintain designed dimensions.

Windows flying off plan is not related to measurement, but a flaw in the workmanship and not in any way related to building windows
I wish to get knew insights , as someone had already pointed all these out.
The relationship between the two scenarios, airplane and building construction is centered on lack of attention to details.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 6:05pm On Apr 28
I do not support additional floor(s) during construction stage without structural redesign and checks to confirm the suitability of the members.
However since this floor is to support the solar panels only , you don’t need 20mm bars for the columns, instead use 16mm as your second to roof level columns reinforcements and also ensure that you stiffen the panels with reinforced concrete beams.

Let your structural engineer design the roof slab and beam, the thickness of your slab should be at least 150mm (6inches) or as designed by the engineer.

Chichilas:
Good afternoon everyone.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by CELEBRITYSAND: 7:28pm On Apr 28
Dear builders,

You can request online 08037136667   for supply of your bulding materials at a competitive price such as:
1. Granite
2. Sharp sand
3. Plaster sand
4. Top soil
5Filling Sand
7 concrete block.
6 blocks.
Site management  services
We deliver anywhere in lagos Nigeria
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 7:35pm On Apr 28
OZORO POWER PRODUCTS NOW AVAILABLE!!!

• 220AH Tubular Battery: N280,000
• ⁠1.1Kva/12V SW Inverter: N150,000
• ⁠1.4Kva/12V SW Inverter: N175,000
• ⁠2.5Kva/24V SW Inverter: N298,000
• ⁠4.0Kva/48V SW Inverter: N475,000
• ⁠5.5Kva/48V SW Inverter: N850,000

MADE IN INDIA .. 2 Years standard warranty on tubular batteries

Contact,

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (3660) (3661) (3662) (3663) (3664) (3665) (3666) ... (3671) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kelvin1191(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.