Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,334 members, 7,815,657 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (373) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4385097 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) ... (3666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 1:51pm On Jun 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I'm listening attentively as I am also pondering the same.

If you have something against PVC please share, thanks.

No matter how much perfect they try to install the PVC it does not look so cool to me though.

I dont just like it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 1:54pm On Jun 27, 2016
ANBAKO:

@temi4fash I am going for the simple "asbestos". I am scared of PVC due to fatigue and fake products all over the place. The "asbestos" also accommodates my budget conveniently. Call me old-fashioned - you might be right, call me village man- not far from the truth.

Good luck with your build!!!

I think i like these one...

How much does it cost?

Working on a very low budget
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 3:09pm On Jun 27, 2016
topsy23:

I ve heard about the product but I ve not use it. A&B is different from ABB. I can't say much about the product

Oh....thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 3:30pm On Jun 27, 2016
temi4fash:

No matter how much perfect they try to install the PVC it does not look so cool to me though.

I dont just like it

Apart from aesthetics, PolyVinylChloride (PVC) used as ceilings is a fire hazard and can be very dangerous. In the unfortunate event of domestic fire, burning hot PVC will melt and drip from the ceiling to the floor jeopardising escape and rescue. Again burning PVC will emit very thick black poisonous smoke/fumes which can disorientate and knockout victims.

In the UK, PVC and Polystyrene ceilings are a no no. What's the point of going into so much trouble to implement openable burglary proof and then install another potentially dangerous home feature like PVC.

Please visit your local Nigerite and Eternit distributors for ceilings solution if POP is a problem. For ceiling solutions, nothing beats fire resistant cement products like plasterboards.

10 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by crisisng: 4:11pm On Jun 27, 2016
Is this the same s thunder arrestor?

EgunMogaji:
Oga Spyder880, you are the only one, as far as I know, that shows us lightning arrestors, though I suspect that others do it too.

Which trade (bricklayer, electrician or plumber) is responsible for that and when do I get it done?

Or it's only for certain areas of the country?

Thank you Sir.

PS: I do have the attached schedule in my mechanical drawing.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by timbros(m): 4:12pm On Jun 27, 2016
Hello guys,

I'm fairly new in this section. Please I want to ask how much approximately will it cost to fence a 100 by 50 plot of land. Gate inclusive.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by crisisng: 4:13pm On Jun 27, 2016
So this is the same thing as thunder arrestor?
How many did you use? I was told to buy two by the electrician.
mufutau55:

The Electrician... at the roofing stage.. because he has to nail the arrestor to the top of the wood when they are doing the aluminium covering.
He will run the flat copper wire under the wooden carcass to the top of the roof.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by crisisng: 4:22pm On Jun 27, 2016
@abdulwastecx

Thanks for the info.

I was told that the thunder arrestor is mostly needed in water logged areas. Is this true?

I bought all the other stuff on the list apart from the arrestor.

abdulwastecx:

It is the work of your electrician.
Most likely before installation of roofing sheet. It is placed at the highest point or elevation of the roof.

You will need the following materials
1. Lightning arrestor
2. Pure copper tape( you can know using magnetic test).
3. Industrial salt
4. Industrial charcoal
5. One earth rode (can't really remember the name)
6. Black and red wire of required diameter specify by the electrical engineer.... I think that should be all
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:29pm On Jun 27, 2016
crisisng:
@abdulwastecx

Thanks for the info.

I was told that the thunder arrestor is mostly needed in water logged areas. Is this true?

Who said so? Lol anywhere you have thunder you need one so in simple terms we all need one.saves you vital electrical devices in your home.it protects them against sudden power sudge from thunder
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by crisisng: 4:31pm On Jun 27, 2016
Thanks for that.

I was told that the earth rod and other stuff should serve same purpose. Is this incorrect?
Does the use of Thunder arresttor depend on the height of the building?

erico2k2:

Who said so? Lol anywhere you have thunder you need one so in simple terms we all need one.saves you vital electrical devices in your home.it protects them against sudden power sudge from thunder
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jun 27, 2016
crisisng:
Is this the same s thunder arrestor?

I believe so.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by crisisng: 4:44pm On Jun 27, 2016
Thank you.

EgunMogaji:

I believe so.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by crisisng: 4:45pm On Jun 27, 2016
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 4:51pm On Jun 27, 2016
Oga crisisng

Long time

I dont think its true oo, lightning can strike in anywhere and does not discriminate on whether its hilly area or water logged area. The device is used to protect the insulation and conductors of the system from the damaging effects of lightning.

crisisng:
@abdulwastecx

Thanks for the info.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by crisisng: 5:00pm On Jun 27, 2016
Oga Mav. How body.
I was confused as well but just spoke to my electrician who is here on NL and he mentioned that having the earth rods alone can serve the same purpose so not sure if I need the thunder arrestor. I was even told alot of houses in Lagos just go for the earth rods without the arrestor.

Our Electricians/experienced people in the house can you please confirm if the above statements are correct.

Time to watch Spain vs Italy. My money dey on Italy.

mavverick:
Oga crisisng

Long time

I dont think its true oo, lightning can strike in anywhere and does not discriminate on whether its hilly area or water logged area. The device is used to protect the insulation and conductors of the system from the damaging effects of lightning.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:14pm On Jun 27, 2016
erico2k2:

Well said sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 27, 2016
lastpage:

Sorry l badged-in Sir!

You can do so by hooking the Arrestor's Spike to a non-conductive material so as to elevate it above the Roof a bit, then lock it to the highest point on your roof (l assume the Upper most part of the slope)

Lastpage!

Edit: Just saw Abdulwastecx already made a response!
Same Principle

No badging at all Sir. We go farther when we pull each other along.

I plugged your numbers into my spreadsheet as a guide when dealing with electrician.

Thanks.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 7:34pm On Jun 27, 2016
crisisng:
Oga Mav. How body.
I was confused as well but just spoke to my electrician who is here on NL and he mentioned that having the earth rods alone can serve the same purpose so not sure if I need the thunder arrestor. I was even told alot of houses in Lagos just go for the earth rods without the arrestor.

Our Electricians/experienced people in the house can you please confirm if the above statements are correct.

Time to watch Spain vs Italy. My money dey on Italy.

we build tall building here and earth rod is what i see them use.

People building bungalow shouldn't even talk about thunder arrestors cos they are meant for tall buildings unless they want to do over sabi.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spatiakrux(m): 7:40pm On Jun 27, 2016
lastpage:

Am really SORRY about that!

But just see what happened?

I even suggested another alternative (Wood plaster boards).... and here he is blaming me for "Asbestos" wahala and doing it in a very insulting manner!

Anyway, that is what happens on a faceless forum.

All sorts

My apologies.
I will learn to IGNORE "help Questions", as much as l can, henceforth

Lastpage!

Hello,

I would like to commend your effort, passion, ingenuity and apparent maturity to issues on this forum. You are one of the MANY who gets this thread rolling and brimming with great ideas.

However, divergent ideas, opinions and innuendos might be, I implore you never to relent on doing what you do best, 'exploring and disseminating well thought and research IDEAS. I believe that's the object of this thread.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by crisisng: 7:43pm On Jun 27, 2016
Thanks alot for this.
You have relaxed me a bit now cause my electrician insisted that I don't really need the thunder arrestor as long as I have the earth rods so just wanted to be sure.

FreeWorld23:

People building bungalow shouldn't even talk about thunder arrestors cos they are meant for tall buildings unless they want to do over sabi.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:45pm On Jun 27, 2016
crisisng:
So this is the same thing as thunder arrestor?
How many did you use? I was told to buy two by the electrician.

Yes. Thunder Arrestor. Different names same thing.
No. I only need 1 (one) why would you need 2 (two) for one building?

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jun 27, 2016
FreeWorld23:

Are you sure you're not Azuh grin

You crack me up all the time.

On a serious note though, and if course for those who want to learn since you know it all, but my bungalow bring that it sits purposely high on a ridge is higher than a 3 story building some 1/4 mile from me.

Don't base a lightning strike risk factor on just height.

In my subdivision in Texas, my two story house was spared while the bungalow low two doors down got hit and burnt almost to the ground as it his a gas meter.

It's s laugh a minute on here grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by crisisng: 7:50pm On Jun 27, 2016
Thanks Haji,

Was my mistake. I was told to get 4 earth rods but no thunder arrestor which is why I am asking if indeed I need the thunder arrestor.

If I do then I might as well get it and find a way to fix it now.

mufutau55:

Yes. Thunder Arrestor. Different names same thing.
No. I only need 1 (one) why would you need 2 (two) for one building?

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:53pm On Jun 27, 2016
crisisng:
Thanks Haji,
Was my mistake. I was told to get 4 earth rods but no thunder arrestor which is why I am asking if indeed I need the thunder arrestor.
If I do then I might as well get it and find a way to fix it now.

Get the thunder arrestor... I think what they are telling you to get is just for Earth Grounding of electricity. Ask them again.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jun 27, 2016
Here's a good write up on lightning by the well read over sabi folks at Texas - the Lightning capital of the world

http://today.tamu.edu/2012/02/29/lighting-rods-work-says-expert/

Lightning kills people on the ground and they're not 3 story buildings grin

If you have a metal roof, regardless of the number of stories that you have, then go and read this.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 7:54pm On Jun 27, 2016
gbadexy:
It's public knowledge that asbestos possess health risk.
It has been long banned in many developed countries.
Asbestos is asbestos and they are magnesium silicate family.
Knowing that we don't have effective regulatory body in nigeria, I won't be surprised to know it's still used in products.
sorry to dig up this.

I have been reading same health risk about asbestos online here but in reality, 50% (if i am not wrong) of nigerians still use it especially in low/middle class area. I expect those living there to be dead by now cos i was also raised in a home with asbestos.

I could remember how many new houses i can count with asbestos roofing when i went to roof a building in badagry last year.

If there is health risk using it, why cant govt ban it once and for all cos i am taking that health risk as a shyt talk.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by crisisng: 7:55pm On Jun 27, 2016
Thanks to you and Haji, and the others.
Will have a good read of this now.

EgunMogaji:
Here's a good write up on lightning by the well read over sabi folks at Texas - the Lightning capital of the world

If you have a metal roof, regardless of the number of stories that you have, then go and read this.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 8:03pm On Jun 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Are you sure you're not Azuh grin

You crack me up all the time.

On a serious note though, and if course for those who want to learn since you know it all, but my bungalow bring that it sits purposely high on a ridge is higher than a 3 story building some 1/4 mile from me.

Don't base a lightning strike risk factor on just height.

In my subdivision in Texas, my two story house was spared while the bungalow low two doors down got hit and burnt almost to the ground as it his a gas meter.

It's s laugh a minute on here grin
nothing is funny here sir. I am not an engineer or builder, i am talking from whAt i am seeing.

Earth rods will do a good job against thunder in naija for bungalows. STOP comparing US with nja when we are talking about REALiTy things we do at home.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jun 27, 2016
A Public Apology To Lastpage, Madam GabbyTabby And Other Learned Folks On The Board

Previously, it was my opinion that one does not necessarily need a college education to be successful in life. I was wrong.

What I failed to realize is that, while education itself is not a direct key to success, but having it doesn't hurt and it actually improves one ability to do critcal thinking and consider things on a deeper level.

When you consider things on a critical level and consider other thought process then the results are absolute more of a guarantee to success.

I was watching Apollo13 (for the hundredth time) and there was a scene when they locked scientists in a room and gave them some scraps and were told that they were to make an air exchange unit from that since that is what the astronauts had on board their injured aircraft. They did it. That's the benefit of education and of course at a higher level.

Going to the store and buying an air exchange unit of the shelf, that's not education.

Okay, there you go, yah all should go and play Baba Ijebu today. Egun has retracted himself grin

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:08pm On Jun 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Oh yes! Lightning strikes anywhere and anytime o.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jun 27, 2016
FreeWorld23:
nothing is funny here sir. I am not an engineer or builder, i am talking from whAt i am seeing.

Earth rods will do a good job against thunder in naija for bungalows. STOP comparing US with nja when we are talking about REALiTy things we do at home.

Why did Christopher Columbus travel the world? Why are you where you are living and not in Nigeria?

The benefit if my travel and experience is partly to enable me to be educated.

Part of the benefit of that education is knowning that Nigeria is not on Mars and Nigeria is not unique and Nigerian weather system is the same as some other parts of the world.

My friend, I will always improve my life in Nigeria by using what I learnt in the US to improve my stock.

My architect is a Nigerian, a Nairalander and he doesn't live in the US but he specifically included a lighting arrestor schedule to my "approved" building plan.

You should be more open minded, sometimes you sound more of a close minded old fart than I am and I'm supposed to be the grumpy old geezer grin

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) ... (3666) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: NL1960, joedguy and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.