Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,032 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:16 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (375) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4371883 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) ... (3663) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 11:05pm On Jun 27, 2016
write2obi:

Please bring back your old moniker , this new one like to argue alot grin grin
grin
I am still the same. Maybe you never see where I dey drag issue before thats why. In politics section, we hardly give up especially on things I know. grin

More than 50% of ppl still use this asbestos in Nigeria and u will be surprise some ppl condemning it online will use it if they can't afford others.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jun 27, 2016
FreeWorld23:
lol ,
Egun baba, if you have been picking on ppl, you can't pick on me o. I have survived tougher sections on this forum and I aint giving up soon. angry

If I start defending my claim, this page will keep on Increasing on the same issue which I don't have time for cos I don't 'eat' my words like U.

Dude, now you're talking my language. I like that.

1.2.3 go

And stop calling me Baba (baba egba mo oye omo tobi).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jun 27, 2016
FreeWorld23:
grin
I am still the same. Maybe you never see where I dey drag issue before thats why. In politics section, we hardly give up especially on things I know. grin

More than 50% of ppl still use this asbestos in Nigeria and u will be surprise some ppl condemning it online will use it if they can't afford others.

On what research data did you pull that percentage out of?

You need to start backing up your elaborate and wild analogies with facts, figures and credible data.

Name one Nairalander in this section that had installed asbestos embedded product in his build since your join date.

Of all the builds that I've seen on here, I have not seen any that used asbestos in their build, none.

So what is your data based on?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 11:22pm On Jun 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Dude, now you're talking my language. I like that.

1.2.3 go

And stop calling me Baba (baba egba mo oye omo tobi).
hmmmmmm....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jun 27, 2016
FreeWorld23:
hmmmmmm....

Sorry, but no more memes on Hajjs thread like I promised earlier.

What I'll like you to post instead are unarguable evidences on any of the allegations that you've submitted today grin

1) where is your evidence that bungalows don't need lightning protection

2) where is your evidence that Nairalanders are using asbestos laden materials

The reality is that you have no evidence. Nothing wrong with that per se.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 11:34pm On Jun 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

On what research data did you pull that percentage out of?

You need to start backing up your elaborate and wild analogies with facts, figures and credible data.

Name one Nairalander in this section that had installed asbestos embedded product in his build since your join date.

Of all the builds that I've seen on here, I have not seen any that used asbestos in their build, none.

So what is your data based on?
those that are using it won't upload pictures for you see cos of the "show off" "na me get money pass" in this section which I have observed.

This thing we are taking about is being used in reality and not online. I saw many in my site last year. So should i conclude they will be sick soon? Or die soon

Its happening in reality and I have said it that aint arguing about the disadvantages, i am not just buying the condemn game.

People who dont have cash use it and i am still waiting for Govt to ban it before i fully accept it kills.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 11:43pm On Jun 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Sorry, but no more memes on Hajjs thread like I promised earlier.

What I'll like you to post instead are unarguable evidences on any of the allegations that you've submitted today grin

1) where is your evidence that bungalows don't need lightning protection

2) where is your evidence that Nairalanders are using asbestos laden materials

The reality is that you have no evidence. Nothing wrong with that per se.
point of correction, I said to me, earth rod is okay for bungalow.

You can choose to blv whatever your architect preaches or what u read online.

The building below has no thunder arrestor but just earth rods and you are singing it for your bungalow.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jun 27, 2016
FreeWorld23:
point of correction, I said to me, earth rod is okay for bungalow.

You can choose to blv whatever your architect preaches or what u read online.

The building below has no thunder arrestor but just earth rods and you are singing it for your bungalow.

Eventhough I know you are wrong but you certainly have a right to showcase that lack of intelligence on the subject matter.

My issue here is that someone may come across what you type and take it as gospel.

But yeah I'll take the words of my university graduated architect, mechanical engineer, researchers at Texas AMU and install an arrestor on my build. After all it's my money abi, and I don't have to canvas for votes for it grin

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jun 27, 2016
FreeWorld23:
those that are using it won't upload pictures for you see cos of the "show off" "na me get money pass" in this section which I have observed.

This thing we are taking about is being used in reality and not online. I saw many in my site last year. So should i conclude they will be sick soon? Or die soon

Its happening in reality and I have said it that aint arguing about the disadvantages, i am not just buying the condemn game.

People who dont have cash use it and i am still waiting for Govt to ban it before i fully accept it kills.

Those of us that share don't do it to gloat. After all there are bigger and better houses out there in Nigeria.

But back to the point, so you want the govt to ban it first?

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Anyways, I know that there are no more asbestos being used in building materials in Nigeria. One of my trades confirmed it.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 12:00am On Jun 28, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Eventhough I know you are wrong but you certainly have a right to showcase that lack of intelligence on the subject matter.

My issue here is that someone may come across what you type and take it as gospel.

But yeah I'll take the words of my university graduated architect, mechanical engineer, researchers at Texas AMU and install an arrestor on my build. After all it's my money abi, and I don't have to canvas for votes for it grin
you disappoint me with the bolded. And I aint ganna reply u anymore if you don't want me to be rude to u.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:03am On Jun 28, 2016

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:04am On Jun 28, 2016
FreeWorld23:
you disappoint me with the bolded. And I aint ganna reply u anymore if you don't want me to be rude to u.

Please be rude, it blows up my skirt grin

PS: if you're rude, it just shows your individual character and takes nothing from me wink

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 12:10am On Jun 28, 2016
FreeWorld23:

But do you know that pvc ceilings are cheaper than that stuff? So why would someone still be using it, I know people still use it but the demand is decreasing drastically.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:23am On Jun 28, 2016
write2obi:

But do you know that pvc ceilings are cheaper than that stuff? So why would someone still be using it, I know people still use it but the demand is decreasing drastically.

How can they be using it when it's been banned since 2001?

Or do you mean installed before 2001?

Because how can they find it to buy if SON has made the manufacture illegal.

Please advice.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by One4me: 12:31am On Jun 28, 2016
FreeWorld23:

Morocco don score one nice goal.

EgunMogaji:

Please be rude, it blows up my skirt
grin

PS: if you're rude, it just shows your individual character and takes nothing from me wink

America score two penalty for 5mins.

Chai! shocked shocked

America 3 - 1 Morocco

This Morocco is not trying at all.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 12:38am On Jun 28, 2016
EgunMogaji:

How can they be using it when it's been banned since 2001?

Or do you mean installed before 2001?

Because how can they find it to buy if SON has made the manufacture illegal.

Please advice.
it has being banned, but it's still in peoples home, alot of houses still has it.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:50am On Jun 28, 2016
write2obi:

it has being banned, but it's still in peoples home, alot of houses still has it.

Yes, Oga we no say the thing boku for people's house, including my papa.

But we dey talk new builds here.

Is it still available on the market and can be purchased by Agarawu today in naija because he's a manly man with hairs on his chest and gurgles with water from lake Chernobyl grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Memejem: 12:56am On Jun 28, 2016
I'm not sure for everyone, but i feel like if everyone in nigeria was properly educated about the harms of asbestos they would choose to use alternative materials in thier build.

Nobody wants to die before thier time.if an alternative such as pvc is available for similar or cheaper cost they would utilize the alternative.

The majority of people who utilize carcinogenic or harmful material is due to ignorance. Nobody willingly utilizes things known to cause harm. Unless they are suicidal.

write2obi:

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:01am On Jun 28, 2016
Memejem:
I'm not sure for everyone, but i feel like if everyone in nigeria was properly educated about the harms of asbestos they would choose to use alternative materials in thier build.

Nobody wants to die before thier time.if an alternative such as pvc is available for similar or cheaper cost they would utilize the alternative.

The majority of people who utilize carcinogenic or harmful material is due to ignorance. Nobody willingly utilizes things known to cause harm. Unless they are suicidal.

My Mama don talk well well. Bravo. Thank you. Thank you.
Nah only the old geezer like me no wan die, all this new generation dont care.
NO ABESTOS for me, even if you dash me. I go listen to Mama Memejem o.
Thanks.

Hajji M.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 1:10am On Jun 28, 2016
Memejem:

It's not always about proper education, Nigerians are very stubborn when it comes to things like that. You'll start hearing something like " jams no get power for Africa man body" or " is is not the same ceiling papa Chinaedu has being using since... ...and all his family are still alive" .

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:11am On Jun 28, 2016
write2obi:

It's not always about proper education, Nigerians are very stubborn when it comes to things like that. You'll start hearing something like " jams no get power for Africa man body" or " is is not the same ceiling papa Chinaedu has being using since... ...and all his family are still alive" .

LOL! Naija attitude.

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 1:19am On Jun 28, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Yes, Oga we no say the thing boku for people's house, including my papa.

But we dey talk new builds here.

Is it still available on the market and can be purchased by Agarawu today in naija because he's a manly man with hairs on his chest and gurgles with water from lake Chernobyl grin
Pop and pvc has taken over.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Memejem: 1:38am On Jun 28, 2016
I understand what you're saying, but even the viewpoint you stated above is rooted in ignorance. The stubbornness is because they truly don't understand the message. It hasn't sunk in, that person can't see pass the money he thinks he's saving.

But once sickness sets in, the amount of money he'll be spending on medical care, medications, surgery. He could have spent a couple thousands more and saved his life.

Though I agree, its hard to educate stubborn people.

write2obi:

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Memejem: 1:47am On Jun 28, 2016
grin grin
Oga don smile down on me. I'm so happy smiley
Baba, I'm not old ooo. But me, I no wan die.

I think it's important to share knowledge. But If nobody wants to hear. It's ok. When I build my own, I'll use the material I feel is best. That I know won't reduce my life expectancy.

But in regards to commercial buildings I'm sure there are laws in place where carcinogenic materials shouldn't be used.

Take for example a hotel is built where asbestos is used as ceiling material for the kitchen and other areas.the chef and kitchen staff will be constantly applying pressure to the ceiling with steam and heat from the foods being cooked. The ceiling will corrode faster, they will be breathing microscopic particles falling from there every day. Some workers will be presenting with cough. They will assume it's a cold, or a result of some of the food stuffs they work with. One day the chef will die. Nobody will know or ask why. They just say "he's been sick for a long time. He always had a bad cough".

Do what you want in your own house. But commercial properties are a whole other game. If I go to Nigeria and enter a mall, hotel, restaurant that has asbestos that I can easily identify. I'm leaving.

mufutau55:

My Mama don talk well well. Bravo. Thank you. Thank you.
Nah only the old geezer like me no wan die, all this new generation dont care.
NO ABESTOS for me, even if you dash me. I go listen to Mama Memejem o.
Thanks.

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 2:12am On Jun 28, 2016
GRANITE:
No magomago, No wayowayo, get the best quantity, quality at pocket friendly price.

Cal: 08055545355

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 6:58am On Jun 28, 2016
FreeWorld23:
we build tall building here and earth rod is what i see them use.

People building bungalow shouldn't even talk about thunder arrestors cos they are meant for tall buildings unless they want to do over sabi.

Oga Agarawu23 I no gree.. Lightning can strike ANY building. There are some houses that are in the travel path of lighting. Very prone areas. They will most likely get struck at least twice a year.

Besides, I think you're in North Africa. Rain falls there once in 6months abi? Houses there are at almost zero risk.

PH, Lagos and some other parts experience all year round rainfall.. With accompanying Thunder strikes grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:09am On Jun 28, 2016
FreeWorld23:

I understand your point sir and I won't want to argue further cos what we preach about it won't stop people who can't afford aluminium to buy it. Tho I am yet to see or read about a death case caused by asbestos in Nigeria. Only God kills when the time reach

I get really worried when I here statement like '' only God know when the time reach'' from a well traveled and enlightened Nigerian....

God don't kill and their is no time to die... We kill ourselves by not following health precautions, properly diagnosing our sickness, not building proper health care centers, dirty environment. I begin to wonder why maleria is the biggest killer in Nigeria.

We have a country with life expectancy rate for men at 47 years and 5 3 years for women compare to more developed countries like Japan, Korea, US, Canada etc in upward of 80 years. The difference between us and them is they use their brain to make life better not by saying God is responsible for all their problem.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 7:09am On Jun 28, 2016
crisisng:
Thanks Haji,

Was my mistake. I was told to get 4 earth rods but no thunder arrestor which is why I am asking if indeed I need the thunder arrestor.

If I do then I might as well get it and find a way to fix it now.

See this "The lightning diversion theory states that a lighting rod protects a building by providing a conductive pathway of the charge to the Earth. A lightning rod is typically attached by a thick copper cable to a grounding rod that is buried in the Earth below. The sudden discharge from the cloud would be drawn towards the elevated lightning rod but safely directed to the Earth, thus preventing damage from occurring to the building. The lightning rod and the attached cable and ground pole provide a low resistance pathway from the region above the building to the ground below. By diverting the charge through the lightning protection system, the building is spared of the damage associated with a large quantity of electric charge passing through it."

The cloud is - ve charged. The +ve charge of the Arrestor attracts the - ve charges that are dissipated in the event of a thunder strike.

Earth rods m are used to earth the building in case of a bridge in the neutral line of the house. Not to arrest Lightning. I stand to be corrected

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:16am On Jun 28, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Oga Agarawu23 I no gree.. Lightning can strike ANY building. There are some houses that are in the travel path of lighting. Very prone areas. They will most likely get struck at least twice a year.

Besides, I think you're in North Africa. Rain falls there once in 6months abi? Houses there are at almost zero risk.

PH, Lagos and some other parts experience all year round rainfall.. With accompanying Thunder strikes grin

Majority of the population in those magribian (North Africa Mediterranean countries) lives long the cost where rainfall is very high, it is only in the interior where rain rarely falls. The risk of a house with no lightninh/thunder arrestor is very high there too
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 7:32am On Jun 28, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Majority of the population in those magribian (North Africa Mediterranean countries) lives long the cost where rainfall is very high, it is only in the interior where rain rarely falls. The risk of a house with no lightninh/thunder arrestor is very high there too

Very good to know. I Don learn new thing. My conclusion was based on premise from an Aunt that lives in Egypt. She says sometimes rain doesn't fall in a whole year.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ANBAKO: 7:46am On Jun 28, 2016
temi4fash:

I think i like these one...

How much does it cost?

Working on a very low budget

It costs 1100 for 4ft x 4ft
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ANBAKO: 8:30am On Jun 28, 2016
Fibre (Reinforced) Cement Popularly known as "asbestos"

Fibre cement is an abbreviation for Fibre Reinforced Cement (FRC), and fibre cement building materials were developed by James Hardie in the early 1980s, as a replacement for asbestos-based building products. Read on to find out more about this material or speak to builders in your local area about using it.

What is Fibre Cement?

Fibre cement is a composite material that is made up of sand, cement and cellulose fibres. Fibre cement cladding comes in various forms but it is most commonly seen in sheet form, and in horizontal boards. Imitation shingles are another form. It can be used to cover the exterior of a house and also as a substitute for timber fascias and barge boards in areas that are subject to high fire danger. As well as cladding, fibre cement is also commonly used as a tile underlay on decks and in bathrooms and also for eave linings.

What is Available in Fibre Cement

Fibre cement boards come between 2400-3000mm in length and 900-1200mm in width. The thickness of fibre cement ranges from 4.5-18mm. Lower density boards have a fibrous rough edge when cut, while the higher density boards have a cleaner, smoother edge when cut. Thermal resistance and sound transmission varies between the different types of fibre cement products but, generally speaking, they rate poorly in these two areas and separate insulation is highly recommended. However, the thicker and denser the fibre cement board, the better thermal and sound resistance it will have.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) ... (3663) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: gbadexy(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.