Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,654 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (530) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4385073 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (527) (528) (529) (530) (531) (532) (533) ... (3666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:35pm On Oct 15, 2016
mufutau55:
OK. Professionals... which is better, Cement screeding or POP screeding? I hope I got the terminology right.
Why is one better over the other (Advantages and Disadvantages)?
What are the materials needed for each procedures?
Thanks.

Hajji M.

I saw the cement screeding inside northern foreshore..it look so lovely I will take the pics when next I visit...look awesome without paint
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 11:13pm On Oct 15, 2016
mufutau55:
OK. Professionals... which is better, Cement screeding or POP screeding? I hope I got the terminology right.
Why is one better over the other (Advantages and Disadvantages)?
What are the materials needed for each procedures?
Thanks.

Hajji M.
POP Cement for POP screeding
Portland Cement for Cement screeding

POP dry faster
Portland dry slow

Most preferred Portland reason use for all work no repel
POP may repel.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:45pm On Oct 15, 2016
Chekitaut:
POP Cement for POP screeding
Portland Cement for Cement screeding

POP dry faster
Portland dry slow

Most preferred Portland reason use for all work no repel
POP may repel.

Thanks Boss.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:48pm On Oct 15, 2016
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:48pm On Oct 15, 2016
twinskenny:

I saw the cement screeding inside northern foreshore..it look so lovely I will take the pics when next I visit...look awesome without paint

Thanks Ejire... I will really love to see the pics. Pls try and get it. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sako28: 3:40am On Oct 16, 2016
Hajji,
Thanks very much for the infor.

Cheers

mufutau55:

Material Descriptions
Copper Tapes - 25 Meters @1,500.00 = 37,500.00
Earth Rod @5,000.00 = 5,000.00
Copper Mat @ 4,500.00 = 4,500.00
Arrestor Copper @5,000.00 = 5,000.00
10mm Fable Cable-10 Meters @N250x10 = 2,500.00
Industrial Salts - 1 Bag @ 2,500.00 = 2,500.00
Charcoal @1,000.00 = 1,000.00
Total Materials = N58,000.00
Labor = N12,000.00
Grand Total Paid = N70,000.00

Above is what I spent on a Duplex building... for bungalow the Copper tapes should be like half (13 linear meters).
Hope this helps. The only thing I noticed is too much Labor... maximum should be 15k.
And make sure they are using real copper... smiley

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 4:04am On Oct 16, 2016
I had assumed (wrongly now of course) that our regular plastering was a form of cement screeding. I now guess this is wrong.

Photos will be appreciated from the house o please. Along with pros and cons of each especially related to cost and maintainability.

Thanks!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:20am On Oct 16, 2016
Regular cement plastering is quite different from cement screeding.
Screeding of either cement or gypsum based is done over cement plaster.
It's a relatively less thick coat used to correct errors on cement plaster to give a very smooth and level surface that ordinary cement plasters can't give.
Cement screeding is stronger no doubt. It's also smoother given the presence of free lime in it.
Water won't also be able to affect it, unlike pop screeding that would swell and peel off when in contact with water. So cement screeding can be used both inside and outside.
Gypsum screeding has some fire retardant advantage at a relatively low temperature, under 250 degree C. Theoretically it supplies oxygen for more combustion at very high temperature above 900 degrees if the fire hasn't been put out. But gypsum screeding has limestone powder as filler and that also releases carbon dioxide at the temperature gypsum releases oxygen.
Back to reality, cement screeding sets slowly. That's the major reason I think it's not widely used by contractors. They need a fast setting plaster to screed and leave the site on time for other jobs.
Paint would also stick well, especially satin on cement screeding and it won't peel off easily.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 7:31am On Oct 16, 2016
gbadexy:
It's a relatively less thick coat used to correct errors on cement plaster to give a very smooth and level surface that ordinary cement plasters can't give.
Cement screeding is stronger no doubt. It's also smoother given the presence of free lime in it.
Water won't also be able to affect it, unlike pop screeding that would swell and peel off when in contact with water. So cement screeding can be used both inside and outside.
Gypsum screeding has some fire retardant advantage at a relatively low temperature, under 250 degree C. Theoretically it supplies oxygen for more combustion at very high temperature above 900 degrees if the fire hasn't been put out. But gypsum screeding has limestone powder as filler and that also releases carbon dioxide at the temperature gypsum releases oxygen.
Back to reality, cement screeding sets slowly. That's the major reason I think it's not widely used by contractors. They need a fast setting plaster to screed and leave the site on time for other jobs.
Paint would also stick well, especially satin on cement screeding and it won't peel off easily.
You too much, no wonder....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by preggi(m): 7:35am On Oct 16, 2016
gbadexy:
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Please how much will it cost to carry out wall screeding in an average 4 bedroom bungalow? Eagerly awaiting relies.
Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:42am On Oct 16, 2016
preggi:

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Please how much will it cost to carry out wall screeding in an average 4 bedroom bungalow? Eagerly awaiting relies.
Thank you
I don't do screeding sir. You can contact dominion for price estimate.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:04am On Oct 16, 2016
This property section is the best forum in the world... You are safe if all you need about your project is from here.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by preggi(m): 8:08am On Oct 16, 2016
Thanks bro. Sir Dominion pls come to my rescue
gbadexy:

I don't do screeding sir. You can contact dominion for price estimate.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by marylandcakes: 11:14am On Oct 16, 2016
twinskenny:

@twinskenny this is the design that I was talking about. I couldn't send it by phone as my phone is crap. grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 12:46pm On Oct 16, 2016
gbadexy:
. Screeding be it POP or Cement based does not in any form correct errors as a result of cement(wall) plastering. The main objective of Screeding is to give a fine smooth finish to the wall and making the eyes appeal more to it after the application of your paint. POP Screeding if to be used is best suitable for interior of the building and never exterior. But the cement is most suitable for both interior and exterior walls.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 12:47pm On Oct 16, 2016
marylandcakes:

@twinskenny this is the design that I was talking about. I couldn't send it by phone as my phone is crap. grin

This one not the job of plasterer alone ooo...some of this design are done after plastering
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by marylandcakes: 1:00pm On Oct 16, 2016
twinskenny:

This one not the job of plasterer alone ooo...some of this design are done after plastering

That's what I'm talking about. I need someone who can do this design.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 1:04pm On Oct 16, 2016
About 300K
Ensure you use a registered surveyor.

Itstyme:
Please can anyone give a precised cost of land survey? Property is located around Sangotedo axis, Lagos. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by marylandcakes: 1:10pm On Oct 16, 2016
Itstyme:
Please can anyone give a precised cost of land survey? Property is located around Sangotedo axis, Lagos. Thanks.

I spent about 140k on mine based at Ikorodu.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Itstyme(m): 1:23pm On Oct 16, 2016
marylandcakes:

I spend about 140k on mine based at Ikorodu.

Thanks! Does location determine cost of land survey?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Itstyme(m): 1:34pm On Oct 16, 2016
mavverick:
About 300K

Ok. Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 1:50pm On Oct 16, 2016
bixton:
. Screeding be it POP or Cement based does not in any form correct errors as a result of cement(wall) plastering. The main objective of Screeding is to give a fine smooth finish to the wall and making the eyes appeal more to it after the application of your paint. POP Screeding if to be used is best suitable for interior of the building and never exterior. But the cement is most suitable for both interior and exterior walls.
If the cement plaster is perfectly done, there won't be a need for screeding. Besides, I did say that screeding gives a level of smoothness that ordinary plaster can't give.
I also mentioned that pop screeding swells and peels when in contact with water. So obviously it won't be ideal for exterior use cheesy.
Why did you quote me Sir?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 1:56pm On Oct 16, 2016
marylandcakes:

That's what I'm talking about. I need someone who can do this design.

But they have to plaster first..there us a guy doing doing similar stuff on my current project will send pics of his work when I get back to site
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:59pm On Oct 16, 2016
mavverick:
About 300K

or more if its in ETI OSA, some lands are in SANGOTEDO but actually in the map it falls under IBEJU LEKKI. Those location could be little cheaper, not much different though. The surveyor has to pick the coordinate, to know exact location where it fell in situations like that. Be careful, SANGOTEDO is a unique place with a lot of government and high profile individual interest in the entire location. Do your dual diligence with a trusted lawyer and surveyor before embarking on any deal.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 2:43pm On Oct 16, 2016
Oga mavverick its usually between 120-150 unless its more than a plot then it might go up to 200k

mavverick:
About 300K

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 2:50pm On Oct 16, 2016
No part of Sangotedo is in ibeju lekki. It's miles from it. Survey has nothing to do with the area. Its statewide.

kopell:
or more if its in ETI OSA, some lands are in SANGOTEDO but actually in the map it falls under IBEJU LEKKI. Those location could be little cheaper, not much different though. The surveyor has to pick the coordinate, to know exact location where it fell in situations like that. Be careful, SANGOTEDO is a unique place with a lot of government and high profile individual interest in the entire location. Do your dual diligence with a trusted lawyer and surveyor before embarking on any deal.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 2:54pm On Oct 16, 2016
gbadexy:

If the cement plaster is perfectly done, there won't be a need for screeding. Besides, I did say that screeding gives a level of smoothness that ordinary plaster can't give.
I also mentioned that pop screeding swells and peels when in contact with water. So obviously it won't be ideal for exterior use cheesy.

Is it possible to use satin paint on a plastered wall unscreeded ?
I think many ppl go for wall Screeding because of the satin paint
Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 3:24pm On Oct 16, 2016
kolnel:

Is it possible to use satin paint on a plastered wall unscreeded ?
I think many ppl go for wall Screeding because of the satin paint
Thanks
It's possible although it may not be appealing.
Satin being a high sheen paint highlights contours on the wall.
If the cement plaster is smooth, then it can be applied.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Itstyme(m): 4:01pm On Oct 16, 2016
gabbytabby:
Oga mavverick its usually between 120-150 unless its more than a plot then it might go up to 200k

Thanks for the input.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Itstyme(m): 4:01pm On Oct 16, 2016
gabbytabby:
No part of Sangotedo is in ibeju lekki. It's miles from it. Survey has nothing to do with the area. Its statewide.

Sounds more like it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by marylandcakes: 5:27pm On Oct 16, 2016
Itstyme:

Thanks! Does location determine cost of land survey?

Sorry I don't really know.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 1:04am On Oct 17, 2016
gbadexy:

. I quoted you when you said " Screeding is used to correct ERRORS on cement plastering".

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (527) (528) (529) (530) (531) (532) (533) ... (3666) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: F117nighthawk and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.