Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,627 members, 7,820,215 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (696) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4402844 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (693) (694) (695) (696) (697) (698) (699) ... (3669) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DrGoodmanFather: 12:19pm On Jun 01, 2017
EgunMogaji:

grin

Sometimes I think mods ban in order increase Nairaland username counts.

We all know Nairaland is not up to 1.8 Million members. Some grin PIPU can have unlimited names lipsrsealed. Mod will ban tire.

If they are not careful, we will use the website as a case study for ddos attack for 3days grin (Just kidding but it is doable).

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by leumas2009: 1:01pm On Jun 01, 2017
Adegbulugbe:

Well said,but not every contractor have the good idea you are trying to initiate but it a very welcome idea.as for me,i up dated my progress of work to my client in every stages of work with pictures,purchase reciept,materials..e.t.c to bring out trust and to keep relationship stable and steady,i do create whatsapp group chat based on the project which i will connect everybody attached to the work for update here is my sample below.so with this idea, you are very correct.

I must commend people like you that are transparent and i would be coming back to the thread to contact some people for my projects as well.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chuksjuve(m): 1:49pm On Jun 01, 2017
jabolo:

As advised, please start your own thread showcasing your strengths. Pics are good and don't be bashful about your pricing.

Serious users will find it if you make it informative and educational. Trust me, that is how a lot of business is generated in this Property section.

Good luck.

Kindly mention me on the thread so I can find it easily among the dross of advertisements as I'll definitely be looking for such a landscaping service in the nearest future. I might give you a relatively open canvas to work with too.

Thanks boss....

it will be up before the close of today

presently setting it up now...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jun 01, 2017
Bossman:
Some of those buglaries posted above really take away from the beauty of the windows and house in general. Unfortunately, this is the situation we find ourselves in if we build in Naija. Provide your own water, your own electricity, your own security, and so on......

They really do and hence why I haven't done burglary yet on the BQ. I'm still debating my options.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 2:57pm On Jun 01, 2017
Barryton:
Greetings to the house. I want to clarify something.
If someone is doing only setting out for u due to the complexity of the design, does the setting out not also covers the supervision of the excavation? or it is only marking out the building with woods? Engrs & gurus in the house. Thanks.
I think it ought to include excavation
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 2:58pm On Jun 01, 2017
chidexy:
Good morning folks. Can our experts in the house, Chief Dr Hajji M and co help me take a look at this quote that I got for POP ceiling. The POP ceiling is only to be done on the upstairs.

First the dimensions
1st sitting room is 30m²
2nd sitting room is 25m²
2 sit out for the sitting rooms is 30m²
The steps up till upstairs is 35m²
Total area to be covered is 120m²
His charge for workmanship is 1.5k per m² totaling 180k

MATERIALS
1) 42 bags of white cement @ 3.8k each = 160k
2) 40kg of sponge (fillers) @ 1.5k/kg = 60k
3) 1 big roll of binding wire = 9k
4) 6 packs of concrete nails @ 2.5k each = 15k
5) 1 roll of imperial soap = 1.5k
6) 5 litres of groundnut oil = 2,5k
Total for material = 248k

GRAND TOTAL = 430k
don't know much abt POP
but prices look's fair...might be wrong though...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jun 01, 2017
Excuzeme:

BTW: I noticed that a lot of Contractors have chipped-in on this issue but the Clients who are most affected, read as "GUESTS" and just stay-away from commenting! This is strange. shocked grin grin
Could this be because, they dont want to criticise their favourite Contractor, while banking on having a discount in future engagement with any of them?
Just wondering aloud.

Because I've ranted about this three years ago and beaten black and blue by Brabus, Spyder880, KolaShangOne, and AbdulWastecx (to some extent).

Building in Nigeria remains a warfare.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 3:40pm On Jun 01, 2017
For those that have houses around Ikorodu axis, how are you guys dealing with this incessant, barbaric, senseless and wicked killings going on there, my heart drops whenever l read stories like this, do we have security in Nigeria?. citizens are left
to be hacked to death and this killings has continued un-abated for the last 6 months or so, cant those who have houses there form battle ready vigilantees armed to the teeth instead of waiting for this useless local, state and federal criminals called politicians who are not ready to provide security for the masses sad >>>>>>>>>>>> https://www.nairaland.com/3834289/notorious-baddo-gang-wipe-out
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by set2build: 3:53pm On Jun 01, 2017
Premium Quality Reinforcement bars you can trust from the makers of Tiger TMT.

visit African foundries Ltd on www.set2build.com

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 4:54pm On Jun 01, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Because I've ranted about this three years ago and beaten black and blue by Brabus, Spyder880, KolaShangOne, and AbdulWastecx (to some extent).

Baba baba, long time o
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jun 01, 2017
Speaking of quality of workmanship and available good raw materials. They are building this block of flats behind me.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jun 01, 2017
abdulwastecx:

Baba baba, long time o

How far Chief? Una well done o.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:03pm On Jun 01, 2017
Truthinlife:
Hello Hajj and everyone,
We just bought the PVC for ceiling but the carpenter is giving a price I believe is out of reach for 4 bedroom ensuite and little walk way. Is 150,000 not too much to install the PVC?. What should be a reasonable amount to pay.

150k is way too much for the job.
For the four bedroom flat, assuming a maximum room dimensions of 4m x 4m, each room will be 16sqm @ the rate of N400/m, then you will do each room for N4,800 per room. Four room will be about N20,000

The four toilet will be N6,000

Living room = N8,000

Kitchen = N5,000

Dinning = N4,000

Allowance for balcony and lobby =N10,000 should do.

N53,000 should do
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 5:17pm On Jun 01, 2017
bixton:
. Based on a 3.6*3.6m space or which and what per day working rate is he supposed to deduce?
the rate for carpenter this day is BTW 3.5k to 4.5k depending on the nature of the job. Meanwhile for PVC ceiling you if you pay 4k per carpenter a day, that is generous enough. The size of the room can be up to 4m *4.2m PVC comes in a long strips so it helps to cover faster.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:20pm On Jun 01, 2017
Barryton:
If someone is doing only setting out for u due to the complexity of the design, does the setting out not also covers the supervision of the excavation? or it is only marking out the building with woods? Engrs & gurus in the house. Thanks.

No, it doesn't cover supervision for excavation N since it wasn't stated in your agreement earlier.
If you want him to supervised the excavation, you will have agree on a new deal
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 5:37pm On Jun 01, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Allow me to agree with you. The way "some" contractors puff out there chests these days eehn, everyone is a professional.

Some that "learned" work will be providing a quotation like someone with Ph.D in Civil engineering and 20 years experience.

The one that drives me nut was back when dollar was exchanged at 512#. I bought a bag of cement for N2500, 16mm rod for N3,900 now dollar is in the N300's , the prices of materials have gone up.

This still got me shaking in my shoes, what kind of economics is that? I bet Adam Smith will be perplexed as well.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrinceLat(m): 5:53pm On Jun 01, 2017
Good day house, please can someone help me differentiate with pictures, the difference between a 5 ton and 10 ton truck, I told someone I need 10 tonnes of granite, but he's saying it's 6 tyres, I do know I've seen a tipper with 6 tyres and another bigger tipper with also 6 tyres. I just want to know the physical difference in pictures, I tried Google, but na so so oyibo oyibo truck the thing dey show me.

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 6:08pm On Jun 01, 2017
PrinceLat:
Good day house, please can someone help me differentiate with pictures, the difference between a 5 ton and 10 ton truck, I told someone I need 10 tonnes of granite, but he's saying it's 6 tyres, I do know I've seen a tipper with 6 tyres and another bigger tipper with also 6 tyres. I just want to know the physical difference in pictures, I tried Google, but na so so oyibo oyibo truck the thing dey show me.

Thanks
Lol
10 tons is the normal 6tyres truck we see all the time, but it isn't always up to 10tons...to me is around 6 to 7 tons.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 6:10pm On Jun 01, 2017
abdulwastecx:

No, it doesn't cover supervision for excavation N since it wasn't stated in your agreement earlier.
If you want him to supervised the excavation, you will have agree on a new deal
For real?
I thought putting the ropes for labourers to cut out the trenches is also part of setting out...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 01, 2017
PrinceLat:

Thanks

I'll try to find you pics BUT the 10 wheels dilapitated Mack trucks are allegedly 20 tonners. The old Awolowo Bedfords are 5 tonners and the ten tonners are mostly 6 wheelers with short sides.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 6:16pm On Jun 01, 2017
Badgers14:

Allow me to agree with you. The way "some" contractors puff out there chests these days eehn, everyone is a professional.

Some that "learned" work will be providing a quotation like someone with Ph.D in Civil engineering and 20 years experience.

The one that drives me nut was back when dollar was exchanged at 512#. I bought a bag of cement for N2500, 16mm rod for N3,900 now dollar is in the N300's , the prices of materials have gone up.

This still got me shaking in my shoes, what kind of economics is that? I bet Adam Smith will be perplexed as well.

It is called The Economics of GREED and SELFISHNESS, coupled with general failure of Govt to regulated what it ought to. undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 6:18pm On Jun 01, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I'll try to find you pics BUT the 10 wheels dilapitated Mack trucks are allegedly 20 tonners. The old Awolowo Bedfords are 5 tonners and the ten tonners are mostly 6 wheelers with short sides.

Those 5ton Bedfords are also six tyres too.
Between 5T and 10T Trucks, tyres cannot be used to differentiate, most have 6tyres.

Chekitaut, come and show us pictures of your 10Ton trucks please
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 6:21pm On Jun 01, 2017
johnson232:

For real?
I thought putting the ropes for labourers to cut out the trenches is also part of setting out...

It is.
The Client made a mistake (which he is paying for now) by not setting-out clearly, what he was negotiating over.
The Contractor saw his naivety and is taking advantage of it.

If he were myself, l will cancel this wayward contract and negotiate the real "setting out" (Pegging and Digging of the trenches) with the Contractor.
Properly documented and signed.

If he likes, let him go and sleep in his house and not supervise what he wants to be paid for.
Any deviation from the signed Contract means he gets no final payment otherwise, he will cough out the initial payment as well, for defaulting on agreement.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:27pm On Jun 01, 2017
EgunMogaji:

The return of Egunbaba himself! I will visit more often now you are around again. Welcome Sir. grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:37pm On Jun 01, 2017
Barryton:

Unless expressly stated that it includes excavation supervision. Supposing someone charges you only N20k to do setting out for you and wants to zoom off as soon as the profile wood are set and excavation lines marked, then you come and insist he stays to supervise all the foundation till cast of the DPC because he charged for "setting out" grin
You wan starve the guy family?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 6:45pm On Jun 01, 2017
Daboomb:

It is.
The Client made a mistake (which he is paying for now) by not setting-out clearly, what he was negotiating over.

If he were myself, l will cancel this wayward contract and negotiate the real "setting out" (Pegging and Digging of the trenches) with the Contractor.

If he likes, let him go and sleep in his house and not supervise what he wants to be paid for.
Any deviation from the signed Contract means he gets no final payment otherwise, he will cough out the initial payment as well, for defaulting on agreement.
I totally agree with u. Imagine after paying someone to read out the plans, i will now pay another person to map out the trenches....The second man may even find it difficult to understand what the first guy wrote on the woods.

pegging & digging of trenches ought to go together.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DrGoodmanFather: 6:46pm On Jun 01, 2017
Badgers14:

I cannot wrap by head around the bolded. Nothing changes despite the exchange rate getting better. I am still shaking too. Na us dey do us. angry

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:49pm On Jun 01, 2017
Daboomb:

It is.

If I am the client in that case, I will cancel the contract and even insist that the guy supervises the house from setting out till roofing (after all roofing poles could be "set out" too) grin Let us make sure these contractors end up without a dime after their hard work grin

Na play I dey play o, before my fellow contractors punch me on the nose.

@ Daboomb, my respects. grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 6:49pm On Jun 01, 2017
spyder880:

Unless expressly stated that it includes excavation supervision. Supposing someone charges you only N20k to do setting out for you and wants to zoom off as soon as the profile wood are set and excavation lines marked, then you come and insist he stays to supervise all the foundation till cast of the DPC because he charged for "setting out" grin
You wan starve the guy family?
Lol
But ideally the 20k is supposed to include digging
After digging, he can zoom off or start charging from footing.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:00pm On Jun 01, 2017
johnson232:

Lol
But ideally the 20k is supposed to include digging
After digging, he can zoom off or start charging from footing.

OK, someone who feeds his family, pays for utilities and school fees, transports himself and his team to site is made to read and interprete the building plans, place the building on the right spot in the land, take all decisions to ensure a smooth start and continuation of the project, he now;

1. Sets out the building and marks out the trench lines(1 day)
2. Monitors the excavation work till completion (my last 5 sites done this year was an average of (5 days.)

This is 6 days work where you can even pay your workers as you alone can never set out a building. And someone pays you N20k to do all these in this hard country wey hard like iron grin

Until contractors start begging food on the streets.......... grin

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 01, 2017
spyder880:

The return of Egunbaba himself! I will visit more often now you are around again. Welcome Sir. grin

Chairman of the board - double tuale Sir grin

Still in search of Ofe Owerri, none to be found in Ibadan last month.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:07pm On Jun 01, 2017
Badgers14:

Adam Smith's did not take Nigeria into consideration when coming up with his economical explanations.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (693) (694) (695) (696) (697) (698) (699) ... (3669) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.