Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,079 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:14 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (693) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4369502 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (690) (691) (692) (693) (694) (695) (696) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 6:12am On May 27, 2017
bixton:
. Whoever the client or contractor may be, variations are most likely entertained when the scope of a job are increased or expanded.

My big Bro you haven't seen explanation for delays like inflation, exchange rate fluctuations, govt buruecracy in approval process, technical query, design review, industrial dispute, civil unrest, Security concerns etc. all adding up to the variation

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 7:14am On May 27, 2017
Daboomb:
And Yes, we are 'generalising' because the topic is not about attacking one particular Contractor, it is to appeal to both Clients and Contractors, to develop a MUTUALLY FAIR method of Costing Building Projects; So why should any poster be particular and not generalise?

snakebeat:

There is no fair method of costing in a rendered services. Are u saying the big lawyers in abuja used by our politicians would earn same amount as with those of lower reputation for same case?

My uncle is a lawyer, a very sucessful one based in Abuja. I can still remember the amount he collected from a client for visiting him in ICPC then, just for visitation, i know most lawyers won't earn such amount for all the cases they will defend in their lifetime. Reputation matters alot sir.

It seems a lot of people here dont know the difference between the phrase "FAIR", and the phrase "FREE"? or maybe they are confusing one for the other! shocked shocked

In my post above, as quoted, l used the line "MUTUALLY FAIR PRICE" to both Contractor and Client.
*What does this mean?

*Are you aware that Lawyers have been asked, to Refund Money (Service charge), considered as UNFAIR and EXCESSIVE CHARGE, to their Clients? If you doubt this, please ask your Uncle, l am certain he will brief you on the circumstances and probably cite examples for you.

* If other countries have "fair pricing system" in most, if not all Trades, what makes you think Nigeria must be different like we are some Aliens from Mars?

In most cases, "fair pricing" is not fixed or determined by either party to a contract/transaction, it is arrived at, after careful study, by independent Panels which might include representative of both parties involved.
At the end of the day, both parties feel relieved and fulfilled, (Mutuality) for the part they would pay (Cash and Service) when such fair price is applied.

"FREE" means you dont want to pay at all and that is ridiculous.

The fact that everyone is a HYENA, competing at who can exploit the other the-most, and getting away with it (which is what leads to our ever spiralling inflation, with prices only going Up (when reason demands) but never coming back to normal when such reason are abated.. does not mean it is right or desirable.

Sprumbaba: Thank you Daboomb, the Johnson232 is a mad man. He too wants to start like Brabus and be forming Know-how.

I was part of those that ranted here about bad roof from one of the most acclaimed roofers on this property section few weeks ago.

I had virtually worked with most guys here and met half of them in person. All I said is I will be doing due diligence more and the son of goat attacked me.

I wont even dignify the nincompoop with a reply.
He can wallow in his ignorance, for all l care.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DrGoodman: 7:56am On May 27, 2017
Daboomb:

It seems a lot of people here dont know the difference between the phrase "FAIR", and the phrase "FREE"? or maybe they are confusing one for the other! shocked shocked

In my post above, as quoted, l used the line "MUTUALLY FAIR PRICE" to both Contractor and Client.
*What does this mean?

*Are you aware that Lawyers have been asked, to Refund Money (Service charge), considered as UNFAIR and EXCESSIVE CHARGE, to their Clients? If you doubt this, please ask your Uncle, l am certain he will brief you on the circumstances and probably cite examples for you.

* If other countries have "fair pricing system" in most, if not all Trades, what makes you think Nigeria must be different like we are some Aliens from Mars?

In most cases, "fair pricing" is not fixed or determined by either party to a contract/transaction, it is arrived at, after careful study, by independent Panels which might include representative of both parties involved.
At the end of the day, both parties feel relieved and fulfilled, (Mutuality) for the part they would pay (Cash and Service) when such fair price is applied.

The fact that everyone is a HYENA, competing at who can exploit the other the-most, and getting away with it (which is what leads to our ever spiralling inflation, with prices only going Up (when reason demands) but never coming back to normal when such reason are abated.. does not mean it is right or desirable.

Methinks you are the resident nincompoop here grin

Prices are set by availability, class and taste before considering other factors.

Remember I thought you this, not your absent lecturer, in a free market economy, there is nothing like fair, its a dog eat dog world out there. And clients and suppliers of service reserve the liberty of choice. So reserve your nonsensical preaching for Sunday service.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 7:58am On May 27, 2017
olumide4christ:

@ the bolded...this has happened to me many times on this Nairaland...that's why these days when people are asking for cost or quote on Nairaland, I just dey siddon look them, even when some people may be misleading them.

Most "Nigerian Business", cannot survive more than 20years before it collapses yet, in some Climates, Business survives over four generations, as it is passed from father to Son and further down the line.

Question we should be asking is: WHY?
The answer lies in what is called the "Business Model".

What you have stated above, for example, is YOUR OWN business model.
Others have a 'different' Business Model.

Its a deep subject that l cannot do justice to, on a pedestrian platform like Nairaland but l will do a brief summary by using examples.

If you notice, a few Seller/Contractors on this Nairaland, usually start out by giving FREE KNOWLEDGE. How?

They either explain some technical issues that people are interested-in or detail their work, in a FREE LECTURE FORM.
Almost ALL Builders on this thread have done it at one time or the other, before they became Popular (Aventures, Spyder, Skimanski, Abdulwastecx, just name them)...and it is a good thing, in my own opinion.

Its a form of advertisement for Customers. (This is what big companies like MTN, Nigerian Breweries, etc spend hundreds of Millions of Naira on, annually)
In return, they attract Customers to their Services.

So, their Business Model is to "give out some Freebie", and in return, collect t"he patronage of some customers" (those reading their posts), who would not have looked their way ordinarily.
For some "prospective" customers, ASKING QUESTIONS is a way they just want to use as a yardstick, to judge the competency of the contractor and see whether they can trust him with the real, big job

So, for those whose 'Business Model' is to be miserly with information (or to shun advertisement, as in the case of Nairaland where information is used as advert), the rewards is there.
For the smart ones, l am sure they are also seeing the result otherwise, no one would be wasting their time on Nairaland, taking and posting pictures, explaining technical details, answering questions, e.t.c

If very rich and prominent companies, whose assets are into the Billions and are household names, have not thought it as wasteful, to advertise,
to entice customers in form of promotions, raffles, offers, e.t.c., how much more a one man business that is relatively unknown ebyond the owners compound?
grin grin undecided

But then, like l said, its 'your business model', if it pays you, who am l to challenge your authority. undecided

BTW: This is not an endorsement of freeloading, people should be ready to pay, when they are about embarking on a standard building project

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DrGoodman: 8:00am On May 27, 2017
Sprumbaba:

Thank you Daboomb, the Johnson232 is a mad man. He too wants to start like Brabus and be forming Know-how.

I was part of those that ranted here about bad roof from one of the most acclaimed roofers on this property section few weeks ago.

I had virtually worked with most guys here and met half of them in person. All I said is I will be doing due diligence more and the son of goat attacked me.

Stop lying, are you related to lie Mohammed? You are a cheap person.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 8:04am On May 27, 2017
Daboomb:

*What does this mean?

U could have as well express your opinion without being insultive. I guess in this context the term 'fair pricing' is subjective. So to each his own. But my is point is go for what u can afford. Don't expect wizkid to come perform in your daughter's birthday when u can't meet up with his terms of fair pricing. A friend actually wanted davido for 5m for his dad burial, but davido refused the amount...guess what, this same guy got Ayinfele for 1.5m to come perform at his dad burial...Reputation bro...

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 8:05am On May 27, 2017
DrGoodman:

Methinks you are the resident nincompoop here grin

Prices are set by availability, class and taste before considering other factors.

Remember I thought you this, not your absent lecturer, in a free market economy, there is nothing like fair, its a dog eat dog world out there. And clients and suppliers of service reserve the liberty of choice. So reserve your nonsensical preaching for Sunday service.

Ediat, go back to your normal userhandle.
Stop hiding behind this fake one.

Anytime you want to say something stewpid, you would log-on with "Goodman"! Even you are ashamed of yourself! undecided
Dont worry, we all know you hold a PhD or you are a Medical Doctor (So, no need to add it to your fake handle) grin grin grin

"Me-thinks", ......like a give a two-Bleep about the opinion of a asinine He-goat like you?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 8:11am On May 27, 2017
snakebeat:

U could have as well express your opinion without being insultive. I guess in this context the term 'fair pricing' is subjective. So to each his own. But my is point is go for what u can afford. Don't expect wizkid to come perform in your daughter's birthday when u can't meet up with his terms of fair pricing. A friend actually wanted davido for 5m for his dad burial, but davido refused the amount...guess what, this same guy got Ayinfele for 1.5m to come perform at his dad burial...Reputation bro...

Did l insult you in my post?
My apologies if you deem it so.

I still insist there is a disconnect, between what we are saying.
I understand you to mean "fair pricing" is non existent, right?
But l also know that this is a big issue in most countries and it is well documented and implemented

There is even a TV show on a U.K channel where "Rogue contractors" who take advantage of vulnerable people, are exposed and charged, forcing them to refund the excess charges.

Anyway, l dont want to make this a one-on-one argument so, we agree to disagree.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 8:31am On May 27, 2017
RipVanWink:
@daboomb,

thnks for the thorough analysis.

1. any idea how many headpans are in 1 trip of sand?...learnt 1 trip is 10tonnes, am guess 1 headpan should be 30kg?

2. in another writeup i saw, someone said 1 bag of cmt will set 80 to 100 blocks, but will mould 35 to 50 blocks , pls clarify

3. for simplicity, i would stick to using blocks for the spine, and not iron rods and concrete, thus thinking of using the width of 2 or 3 blocks as spine

4. in the writeup some1 used 0.85, wondering why thought it should be 0.66, since 1 block is 18inchies = 1.5ft, the calc below was done for 60ft x 120ft land

Not sure about the 0.85 and 0.66 stuff, l like to keep things simple.
One block = 18"
One feet = 12"
if your ground is good, then stick to Blocks only for your columns.
As a rule, l generally wont do blocks only (personal preference)

Too much Sand in your Sand-Cement mix, may cause your work to fail in heavy rains

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:24am On May 27, 2017
RipVanWink:
hello gents,
am a newbie here. tried searching , no show

want to fence 100ft x 100ft land, dwarf fence, say about 5ft, am assuming 2coaches in the ground and 3 or 4 coaches on the surface.
would appreciate a rough estimate and breakdown of the cost, or even better someone who has fenced recently could gimme his total cost, i may be able to extrapolate.

2ndly, i intend to use 3 locks to form the spine of the fence, placed every 10ft apart, btw using block as spine and using iron rod and concrete, which is better or preffered?
. I hope you'll get my drift on what you want to do. 100ft*100ft[30*30m]. Fence line =116m(gate entrance removed). 9"/6" blocks needed=1600. Coarse(3/8"wink sand/single axle= 2 trips. You have about 30+ points to put columns(pillars points). Sharp sand(single axle)=2 trips. Get Y12 or Y10mm for column points and quarter rods as stirrups. Excavate 18", blind with only coarse(3/coolsand+ cement or coarse+sharp sand+cement for blinding. Mortar mix(1:3/1 bag of cement:3 parts wheel barrow sand measure). For blinding/pouring of columns use 1:3(cement+coarse sand) or 1:1:2(cement+sharp sand+coarse sand). For 9" blocks(2 bags of cement to set 100 blocks) for 6"blocks(1.5 bags of cement to set 100 blocks).

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Sprumbaba: 12:02pm On May 27, 2017
DrGoodman:

Stop lying, are you related to lie Mohammed? You are a cheap person.

Igbo, I am very cheap like your prostitute mother.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wagasigiungu(m): 3:12pm On May 27, 2017
@ All aggrieved persons, kindly sheath your swords. You guys are turning this thread into what @mufutau55 never intended it to be. I believe most of you guys here on NL property section are matured (family) men. It is highly unbecoming of grown ups to keep exchanging insultive words, to the extent of even dragging our revered mothers into it. What will you tell a kid you find engaging in such? Kindly take a chill pill please and let peace reign. Thanks and One Love.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by toxxnoni(m): 5:02pm On May 27, 2017
Wagasigiungu:
@ All aggrieved persons, kindly sheath your swords. You guys are turning this thread into what @mufutau55 never intended it to be. I believe most of you guys here on NL property section are matured (family) men. It is highly unbecoming of grown ups to keep exchanging insultive words, to the extent of even dragging our revered mothers into it. What will you tell a kid you find engaging in such? Kindly take a chill pill please and let peace reign. Thanks and One Love.

True talk brother
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 27, 2017
Contact CNA Homes for your Interior and building finishing needs today.
|Bathroom finishings, Railings, Floors, Doors, Stone Cladding, POP|
Cnahomesng@gmail.com // 07036104467
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 8:24pm On May 27, 2017
Truthinlife:
Hello Hajj and everyone,
Attached is a photo of what a friend called "Asbestos POP ceiling". I got attracted by the beauty of how it was carefully and beautifully done without any visible trace of "batton" running all over it in square forms. ( As we see in regular asbestos ceilings).
How can one achieve this 2 different styles as shown on the photos. is there any carpenter willing to work in the east for this sole purpose.

I will greatly appreciate your responses please.

Hello Everyone,
I will still appreciate any leads on how to go about getting someone who can replicate this ceiling style.
Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 10:44pm On May 27, 2017
Truthinlife:

Hello Everyone,
I will still appreciate any leads on how to go about getting someone who can replicate this ceiling style.
Thank you.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jossy26: 10:53pm On May 27, 2017
snakebeat:

Davido for dad's burial, Oga please wipe your mouth clean cos that's a big lie.....tati billion for d akant song in burial....lol

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 7:53pm On May 28, 2017
shammer:
good evening my ogas @ the top... I have been following this thread and it has open my eye to many things I don't know before.... I have a bungalow of 4 unit of mini-flat I want convert to 2unit of 2bedroom flat..... Any engineer recommend is welcomed
send the floor plan to my mail let me see how to modify it for u. tevansobuilders@gmail.
com.08060506857
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 7:53pm On May 28, 2017
shammer:
good evening my ogas @ the top... I have been following this thread and it has open my eye to many things I don't know before.... I have a bungalow of 4 unit of mini-flat I want convert to 2unit of 2bedroom flat..... Any engineer recommend is welcomed
send the floor plan to my mail let me see how to modify it for u. tevansobuilders@gmail.
com.08060506857
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ojebe: 8:01pm On May 28, 2017
Please house help me to check out this quote for my 3 bedrooms en-suite electrical piping

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 8:56pm On May 28, 2017
Anyone with idea of current price of PVC ceiling material. How can one differentiate between original and imitation. Sample picture attached.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 9:03pm On May 28, 2017
jossy26:

Davido for dad's burial, Oga please wipe your mouth clean cos that's a big lie.....tati billion for d akant song in burial....lol
Smh....is that the only song davido has done?
pls don't quote me again....u should have first known d kind of person my friend is...

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:06pm On May 28, 2017
Ojebe:
Please house help me to check out this quote for my 3 bedrooms en-suite electrical piping

The list is not clear .. But the Prices of the items look high to me especially the pipe accessories like coupler and the like... Unless u are buying UK branded materials..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:07pm On May 28, 2017
[quote author=Truthinlife post=56942215][/quote]
Nicely done
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 2:40am On May 29, 2017
twinskenny:

Nicely done
Hello Twinskenny,
I agree it's nicely done but not mine. I used it as sample picture to show what I mean by PVC. I want to know how much they are selling PVC ceiling material per square meter and how to differentiate from imitation. I am considering using it on some areas in our project.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 6:50am On May 29, 2017
Truthinlife:

Hello Twinskenny,
I agree it's nicely done but not mine. I used it as sample picture to show what I mean by PVC. I want to know how much they are selling PVC ceiling material per square meter and how to differentiate from imitation. I am considering using it on some areas in our project.

They used to sell by bundle I think... Bought mine 6k2 per bundle back then.. But there are more expensive one though.. I will search for a number and forward to u
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:58pm On May 29, 2017
Truthinlife:

Hello Twinskenny,

I have used and always recommended Paragon Amoula Ventures PVC to people... but nowadays they are so expensive; one might just be going for POP instead.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 2:00pm On May 29, 2017
Yes o hajji, amoula product is no go area now concerning the price, a bundle of 6pcs now something in region of 17-19k. Pop is the best option for amoula now,
Some Nigeria made product now range from 6k -10k per bundle of 10pcs

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 3:45pm On May 29, 2017
mufutau55:

I have used and always recommended Paragon Amoula Ventures PVC to people... but nowadays they are so expensive; one might just be going for POP instead.

Hajji M.
Thanks Hajj, Rotech, twinskenny and everyone for your advice. I appreciate and will send pictures when it's completed.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by baaliyah(m): 5:12pm On May 29, 2017
Truthinlife:

Thanks Hajj, Rotech, twinskenny and everyone for your advice. I appreciate and will send pictures when it's completed.

the last picture is fine.
I think Nigerite has a kind of PVC ceiling board, U could check them out, though, I have not seen it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ojebe: 7:16pm On May 29, 2017
[quote author=twinskenny post=56968715]

The list is not clear .. But the Prices of the items look high to me especially the pipe accessories like coupler and the like... Unless u are buying UK branded materials..

Thank you very much Sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:25pm On May 29, 2017
[quote author=Ojebe post=56998497][/quote]you are welcome

(1) (2) (3) ... (690) (691) (692) (693) (694) (695) (696) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: KIDfurniture(m), Dendrick123 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.