Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,743 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (740) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4397613 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (737) (738) (739) (740) (741) (742) (743) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yak(m): 10:59pm On Jul 27, 2017
klark3:

Majority of the bungalows we have in this country were built with 6" blocks.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with building a bungalow with 6" blocks. As long as the blocks are of good quality. some people even use 5" blocks for bungalow, i am sure u haven't see such before.

hahaha my father's 6 bedroom that we only use during Christmas only was built with 5" and it's over 24 years old now.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mank1234(m): 11:08pm On Jul 27, 2017
klark3:

Nothing but strength....32.5r is of lower strength than 42.5r & therefore 32.5r shouldn't be use for major concrete works.

Given equal mix ratio of concrete, both give similar strength after curing. The major distinction is in how long it takes to achieve the desired strength. 42.5R reaches this faster than 32.5R.

For bungalow/duplex construction, any claim of one being superior is just marketing gimmicks.

Construction companies however prefer 52.5R because it gives a slightly higher strength than the others and also sets very fast. It gives off heat on making concrete.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by klark3: 11:11pm On Jul 27, 2017
mank1234:

Given equal mix ratio of concrete, both give similar strength after curing. The major distinction is in how long it takes to achieve the desired strength. 42.5R reaches this faster than 32.5R.

For bungalow/duplex construction, any claim of one being superior is just marketing gimmicks.

Construction companies however prefer 52.5R because it gives a slightly higher strength than the others and also sets very fast. It gives off heat on making concrete.
Really don't know about the marketing gimmicks, but from my experience so far, i wouldn't advise anyone to use 32.5r for anything more than plastering.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jul 27, 2017
This issue of block sizes comes down to acceptable risks.

A 3" block could be made stronger than a 9" block. It all depends on the mix ratio and fastidious attention to detail. How much do you trust Baba Kamilu to follow standards?

Most of the people, and I am in the camp, used 9" blocks for foundation as well as perimeter walls and then switched to 6" blocks for weight savings.

The cost difference between 6 and 9" block is negligible if one considers the total cost of the project.

My favorite are those that compare materials and workmanship from 30 years ago to now. Back in the 80's and before, even ordinary Taxi Driver was very professional in his work. People actually took pride in their work. Now, you find engineers that are nothing more than 3 weeks apprentice.

So please stop comparing old buildings to the mostly shams that are built today.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jul 27, 2017
klark3:

Really don't know about the marketing gimmicks, but from my experience so far, i wouldn't advise anyone to use 32.5r for anything more than plastering.

They are currently building two houses near me here. One of them has not been worked on for 30 days. They are there today and I asked the foreman why they haven't been coming to work (I work form home so I hear their noise all day when they are there). He said they were waiting for the City Inspector to come and do site inspection and they couldn't continue until he signs off.

In Nigeria we don't have that, so people will just use anything to build because no one will check.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 12:04am On Jul 28, 2017
EgunMogaji:

They are currently building two houses near me here. One of them has not been worked on for 30 days. They are there today and I asked the foreman why they haven't been coming to work (I work form home so I hear their noise all day when they are there). He said they were waiting for the City Inspector to come and do site inspection and they couldn't continue until he signs off.

In Nigeria we don't have that, so people will just use anything to build because no one will check.
Yes we do, people just not doing what they are supposed to do. Even when they show up is not oblige to their duty, but to extort money from owners. Failure of institution functioning.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yak(m): 12:12am On Jul 28, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I weep. even when inspection is done purportedly, it is just a money making opportunity.
there is a block of stalls in my street built beside a transformer n under power cables. I was happy when I saw *stop work* inscription.
one week down, the stalls have been completed and ppl are already selling it

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 1:04am On Jul 28, 2017
mank1234:

IS 650:196 sets out the minimum strength in MPa of a standard mix that the different grades must achieve after 28days of setting and this represents about 98% (am not too sure, maybe -/+3%) of the max strength the mix will achieve.

I don't remember the figures but
32.5 is the lowest strength
followed by 42.5 and then 52.5

The S, N & R denotes the hardening/setting rate measured in 2days, 7, 14 & 28days.
S = Slow setting for heat sensitive applications
N = Normal
R = Rapid / supersetting

So a 42.5N in 7days might have same strength with 42.5R in 2 days and probably a 42.5S in 14days but their final strength after 28days will be the same.

Likewise a 42.5N in 2days might have similar strength with a 32.5N in 7 days.

So if I want to cast a driveway I plan to use next day, I most certainly am limited to 42.5R or above while if I am not in a hurry I might use the 42.5N if it's cheaper. Also you can't use the R for a lot of jobs like block moulding cause it starts setting before they finish mixing

In Nigeria, SON made it illegal (in 2014) to use 32.5 for anything other than plastering (not even block making).

All cement give off heat as part of the curing but if the rate is slow, you might not notice it as much as the environment might quickly absorb it

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 1:19am On Jul 28, 2017
DUNKA:
Please does anyone know where I can source for the below swivel chair?

I bought similar stuff from either konga or jumia. Its always cheaper, but the catch is that you will be the one to assemble it yourself, which takes patience.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 1:44am On Jul 28, 2017
I think if a certain number of persons click on report button on any advert and type: "Rule 6 & Rule 18", the post will be deleted.

Pls gents, let us be our own moderator.
I start by reporting the advert above my mention

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DUNKA(m): 1:52am On Jul 28, 2017
44chux:

I bought similar stuff from either konga or jumia. Its always cheaper, but the catch is that you will be the one to assemble it yourself, which takes patience.
thanks will check it out
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WorldAmbassador: 5:11am On Jul 28, 2017
44chux:

I think if a certain number of persons click on report button on any advert and type: "Rule 6 & Rule 18", the post will be deleted.

@44chux. Good tip. We have a lot of other threads for placing ads. Most people visit this thread to exchange and learn ideas related to building/construction.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:36am On Jul 28, 2017
EgunMogaji:
This issue of block sizes comes down to acceptable risks.

A 3" block could be made stronger than a 9" block. It all depends on the mix ratio and fastidious attention to detail. How much do you trust Baba Kamilu to follow standards?

Most of the people, and I am in the camp, used 9" blocks for foundation as well as perimeter walls and then switched to 6" blocks for weight savings.

The cost difference between 6 and 9" block is negligible if one considers the total cost of the project.

My favorite are those that compare materials and workmanship from 30 years ago to now. Back in the 80's and before, even ordinary Taxi Driver was very professional in his work. People actually took pride in their work. Now, you find engineers that are nothing more than 3 weeks apprentice.

So please stop comparing old buildings to the mostly shams that are built today.
.What exactly is a sham and what qualifies a building to be called a sham? I am certain there are also so called shams also littered in certain parts of europe,etc,etc.

As a rule 6"/9" blocks are meant to be used for 2 different types of buildings based on known engineering principles as it concerns construction works. The choice and usage of one over the other depends on the architech/engineer views considering minimum and acceptable risks factors and largely on the client's finances.
If you intend to use a 3" block just because it's material strength have been made to beat that of a 6"/9" block going by principles meant for 6/9" blocks without doing your own home work then you would have succeeded in creating your own sham.
There's a vast difference between "Driving Licence and Licence to Drive" and that is the thin red line when comparing taxi drivers of old and now.
Majority of artisans now did not even attend technical colleges to acquire knowledge, attend to practical classes and get properly certified. What you have now are persons who started as labour/helper transforming into masons.
Every Engineer is a 3 week apprentice if he/she does not supervise his/her projects or even know what exactly the supervisory role is all about and equally does not pay attention to details.
The major difference between Nigeria and Europe(etc,etc) is that while the former does not value lives and property the latter actually does shows concern towards such.

On a general note the basic materials used in building construction works are Portland cement, sharp sand,granite/chippings/coarse sand,laterite, steel rods, woods,nails........and the basic physical and chemical composition of such materials have not changed or detoriated which is why the ideology behind "low cost housing" is still in existence all over the world.

Nigerian Perspective:
A so called big boy buys an expensive land, spends probably 100Million or more to put his palace in order. He uses POP for his ceilings but when it gets to the gate/security house he uses PVC. The only question I ask is who owns the property?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:07am On Jul 28, 2017
yak:

I weep. even when inspection is done purportedly, it is just a money making opportunity.
there is a block of stalls in my street built beside a transformer n under power cables. I was happy when I saw *stop work* inscription.
one week down, the stalls have been completed and ppl are already selling it

I really don't know how certain Nigerians can sleep peacefully at night with good conscience.

Sometimes I think that the country is way too far gone to be rehabilitated.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PropertyAsset: 6:18am On Jul 28, 2017
44chux:

Has the rules been enforced all this while?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:13am On Jul 28, 2017
PropertyAsset:

. Those who are the perceived rule enforcers have been known to be those who do indirect advertising on the platform.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 7:41am On Jul 28, 2017
PropertyAsset:

Yes, a few times.
If only one person reports it, its instantly hidden from only that person's view. But I have observed that it does work sometimes when enough persons report it, but I don't know if it's automatic or not.

We need to try it out and see first.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by klark3: 7:47am On Jul 28, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Imagine! Only God knows if Nigeria will ever be like the US before the world face's extinction.
The rate at which we are retrogressing instead of developing is getting too much.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bossman(m): 6:50pm On Jul 28, 2017
grin grin grin Naija oni baje o. The checks and balances here and the rest of the western world are what sets these countries apart. To put any structural addition to your house, even a deck or patio, you have to get a permit. My house is colonial, so I decided to add a porch a few years back. Besides getting the permit for the construction, there were 2 inspections done. One when the skeleton/pillars were erected and the second one what it was totally finished and attached to the rest of the bldg. The construction guy was telling me that they had to make sure the pillars can withstand certain weight, and that when it's attached to the building, it's done very well that it can withstand a certain certain Gusts of wind, etc.

klark3:

Imagine! Only God knows if Nigeria will ever be like the US before the world face's extinction.
The rate at which we are retrogressing instead of developing is getting too much.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 8:47pm On Jul 29, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I really don't know how certain Nigerians can sleep peacefully at night with good conscience.

Sometimes I think that the country is way too far gone to be rehabilitated.

yeah me too. a NLE [noah like event - aka flooding/total wipeout, save for a few] is what nigeria needs.
the avg nigerians penchant for corruption and shodiness is dna level deep!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by klark3: 9:09pm On Jul 29, 2017
earthrealm:

yeah me too. a NLE [noah like event - aka flooding/total wipeout, save for a few] is what nigeria needs.
the avg nigerians penchant for corruption and shodiness is dna level deep!
@bold...God bless u sir for saying the truth...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by leumas2009: 1:20am On Jul 30, 2017
Guys,

I need some advise; I have property where there has recently been an electricity surge and the pumping machine for the borehole was damaged. Hence I have been told that we need to re-cool it. I have been given the following quote:

Recoiling of the machine
Control box 6,000
Cable 18,000
Labour 10,000
Total. 52,000.

Also I was told I needed to install a timer switch next for the borehole so that we would have another incident where the borehole was left on and a power surge cause damage.

Borehole Timer costed at 25,000

Then, we have to earthen the property as it was reported that the taps seems to have some current in them.

1. Industrial salt he said he needed 2 pack which is 10,000. Should we manage 1 which is 5,000. As required the two is 10,000
2. Two earth rod 20,000.
3. 1/2 coil of 16mm coper wire 25,000
4. Bore hole complete timer. 25,000
5. Workmanship 20,000
Total = 100,000

Is this quote reasonable?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DUNKA(m): 2:06am On Jul 30, 2017
leumas2009:
Guys,

I need some advise; I have property where there has recently been an electricity surge and the pumping machine for the borehole was damaged. Hence I have been told that we need to re-cool it. I have been given the following quote:

Recoiling of the machine
Control box 6,000
Cable 18,000
Labour 10,000
Total. 52,000.

Also I was told I needed to install a timer switch next for the borehole so that we would have another incident where the borehole was left on and a power surge cause damage.

Then, we have to earthen the property as it was reported that the taps seems to have some current in them.

1. Industrial salt he said he needed 2 pack which is 10,000. Should we manage 1 which is 5,000. As required the two is 10,000
2. Two earth rod 20,000.
5. Workmanship 20,000
Total = 100,000

Oga better get a 2nd opinion as I believe an electrical surge will not take out all the components of your pumping machine I don't know about the other price list but the price of the earth rods shocked

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by signature2012(m): 3:57am On Jul 30, 2017
leumas2009:
Guys,

Recoiling of the machine
Control box 6,000
Cable 18,000
Labour 10,000
Total. 52,000.

2. Two earth rod 20,000.
5. Workmanship 20,000
Total = 100,000

Go to the market yourself and price the cost of a new pumping machine.The price am seeing up there for recoiling alone is scaring.
Secondly,approach another good electrician to recheck what is happening in your house.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 4:08am On Jul 30, 2017
leumas2009:
Guys,

Recoiling of the machine
Control box 6,000
Cable 18,000
Labour 10,000
Total. 52,000.

2. Two earth rod 20,000.
5. Workmanship 20,000
Total = 100,000

Earth rod is too expensive and also a bag of industrial salt(Marconite) should be okay since 2earth rod is going to be used and beside I don't think the guy is ready dig an earth pit.

Borehole floating switch is too expensive for that price. Original floating switch should be between 5k and 7k.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 8:05am On Jul 30, 2017
good point there ,Oga Topsy
@op, what is the capacity of the pump 1hp, 1.5hp etc.
I will advise you to buy another pump if the capacity of the one that got damage is within 3/4-1.5 HP, because the price of new one is not up to the price your technician qouted to repair the damage one, then you can take the damage one to coker for repair by your self, you cant spend up to halve of what he qouted, if you need assistance about the pump you can call on 08066619493

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by leumas2009: 8:17am On Jul 30, 2017
Thank you all. I appreciate all your comments.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 8:22am On Jul 30, 2017
leumas2009:
Guys,

Recoiling of the machine
Control box 6,000
Cable 18,000
Labour 10,000
Total. 52,000.

2. Two earth rod 20,000.
5. Workmanship 20,000
Total = 100,000

This is far too expensive ,go and do a price comparation yourself you will see that you can save over N50k,listen to what others told you about the pumping machine,buy a new one and repair the old one as back up,

The guy would have been able to advice you to buy a new pumping machine but because of the greed in him,he is advising you to recoil it at N18k,then how much is a new one

Cheers
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 10:28am On Jul 30, 2017
topsy23:

Earth rod is too expensive and also a bag of industrial salt(Marconite) should be okay since 2earth rod is going to be used and beside I don't think the guy is ready dig an earth pit.

Borehole floating switch is too expensive for that price. Original floating switch should be between 5k and 7k.
Na wa Ooooo, so you no what is called Original floating switch NOW BI? when I ask you about it then, you make it sound like I'm speaking Spanish language to you. No problem, not now yet

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 10:43am On Jul 30, 2017
kopell:
Na wa Ooooo, so you no what is called Original floating switch NOW BI? when I ask you about it then, you make it sound like I'm speaking Spanish language to you. No problem, not now yet
grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 10:02pm On Jul 30, 2017
rotecch77:
good point there ,Oga Topsy
@op, what is the capacity of the pump 1hp, 1.5hp etc.
I will advise you to buy another pump if the capacity of the one that got damage is within 3/4-1.5 HP, because the price of new one is not up to the price your technician qouted to repair the damage one, then you can take the damage one to coker for repair by your self, you cant spend up to halve of what he qouted, if you need assistance about the pump you can call on 08066619493

Thank you o!

He should just buy a NEW PUMPING MACHINE (around 27K-30K maximum, for 1HP, it comes with the On/Off Switch)
Get a good Electrician to check the older machine because this man you are working with, has bought a brand new cutlass to shave your head. grin grin

Topsy and Rotech have given you the best advice.
everything on tha list my guy was given, is outrageously priced.
Thank god you came to Nairaland and this thread. undecided grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (737) (738) (739) (740) (741) (742) (743) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: BabaChicago(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.