Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,774 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (751) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4404580 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (748) (749) (750) (751) (752) (753) (754) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 9:29pm On Aug 12, 2017
johnson232:

I have always heard about people talking about karma, used to doubt it existence...Not anymore...
I am now fully convinced the law is very much in existence....We just need to be very careful of what we say or do to others....

What and How were you convinced, do you care to share that life-changing experience with us here, maybe we can learn a thing or two from it?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 9:12am On Aug 13, 2017
Back to the main thread.

I need advice on which brand of building electrical wire to buy. Basically, 1.5mm, 2.5mm and 4mm.

My understanding is that Nocaco is the best but not so affordable. Others i see quite often are Dante, Coleman, Kablemetal, Purechem and Nigerchin. I want to use one in this group though Dante seem to be cheapest, from experience cheap may not be so bad. So i need advise based on experience.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:24am On Aug 13, 2017
adanny01:
Back to the main thread.

I need advice on which brand of building electrical wire to buy. Basically, 1.5mm, 2.5mm and 4mm.

My understanding is that Nocaco is the best but not so affordable. Others i see quite often are Dante, Coleman, Kablemetal, Purechem and Nigerchin. I want to use one in this group though Dante seem to be cheapest, from experience cheap may not be so bad. So i need advise based on experience.

Though they are just brand names endeavour to buy them from their offices and not a road side distributor.
Residential property---Nigerchin
Private Property---- Kablemetal.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 12:45pm On Aug 13, 2017
AngelicBeing:
Hian, you have started again grin
who get this dog self ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 12:46pm On Aug 13, 2017
EgunMogaji:

talk to your mate !!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 12:47pm On Aug 13, 2017
44chux:

Azuh is back!!!
Hurray grin grin

How is the chicken pillar bungalow? grin
na the chicken piller I go take break your head !!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 13, 2017
AZUH:
talk to your mate !!

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 1:24pm On Aug 13, 2017
adanny01:
Back to the main thread.

Nigerchin, Kabelmetal and Coleman are good ones..

Nocaco is also Kabelmetal,

Their flexible cable is normally written as NOCACO

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 1:46pm On Aug 13, 2017
AZUH:
who get this dog self ?
The dog belongs to me wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:35pm On Aug 13, 2017
well this is what I saw on the road today, pre cut and bent starter rods.beams etc.Im hoping one day our builders in the house would adopt this methods, bend your irons b4 site.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bigrovar(m): 8:30pm On Aug 13, 2017
Hi guys. In at the lintel stage of my 2 bed room house. Was wondering what are the best way to achieve roof attic ventilation. My goal is to reduce heat from the sun by venting out hour air build up in the roof attic. Would appreciate ideas from experience hands here.

One of the things am considering is a roof wind turbine vent. To help vent out the hot air. Does this make sense?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:34pm On Aug 13, 2017
bigrovar:
Hi guys. In at the lintel stage of my 2 bed room house. Was wondering what are the best way to achieve roof attic ventilation. My goal is to reduce heat from the sun by venting out hour air build up in the roof attic. Would appreciate ideas from experience hands here.

One of the things am considering is a roof wind turbine vent. To help vent out the hot air. Does this make sense?

No, in my opinion.

First, the Nigerian roof system is not air proof as it is based on how they install it. So air still escapes.

Second, I think a gable or eave vent would be better if you must have a vent.

On the roof you pictured, first we lay a plywood surface, then we overlay it with tar paper (edge to edge) and then finally the shingles. And over time you can have up to 3 or 5 layers of shingles. So the US type roof are pretty airtight and hence the need for venting.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:07pm On Aug 13, 2017
bigrovar:

Except you want to use your roof space for some somewhat sort you don't need it.
I'm guessing you're concerned about free air flow within the living areas in your apartment.
If your windows are positioned rightly for proper cross ventilation you can also increase the height of your headroom. That is, if you're doing 3 blocks after lintel add an extra block on it.
You can add the air vents on your roof to compliment air flow too.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bigrovar(m): 2:24am On Aug 14, 2017
EgunMogaji:

No, in my opinion.

First, the Nigerian roof system is not air proof as it is based on how they install it. So air still escapes.

Second, I think a gable or eave vent would be better if you must have a vent.

Not a construction expert in any way. But casual observation of many roof construction in Nigeria. It's hard to notice any air vent. The recent parapet trend even makes situ worse as I can not see how hot air build up can be vented out of the roof attic other than through the attic outlet (man hole) which in most cases can be found in the living quarters. The lack of a way to vent the roof allows hot air built up in the attic to radiate down to the house increasing home temperature especially during the hot dry season.

I think I will go with the gable and eave vent. Thanks for the information.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bigrovar(m): 2:27am On Aug 14, 2017
bixton:

Except you want to use your roof space for some somewhat sort you don't need it.
I'm guessing you're concerned about free air flow within the living areas in your apartment.
If your windows are positioned rightly for proper cross ventilation you can also increase the height of your headroom. That is, if you're doing 3 blocks after lintel add an extra block on it.
You can add the air vents on your roof to compliment air flow too.

Making it 4 blocks after lintel?
Like Mr EgunMogaji I would add a vent to the gable and roof eaves. And yes my concern is reducing heat build up in the attic which is usually transferred to the living area.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 6:53am On Aug 14, 2017
erico2k2:
well this is what I saw on the road today, pre cut and bent starter rods.beams etc.Im hoping one day our builders in the house would adopt this methods, bend your irons b4 site.

Its already been done in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:51am On Aug 14, 2017
bigrovar:

Making it 4 blocks after lintel?
Like Mr EgunMogaji I would add a vent to the gable and roof eaves. And yes my concern is reducing heat build up in the attic which is usually transferred to the living area.
I am certain your build cannot take more than 4 vents by its design and in most cases only 2. The standard build is 13 blocks from the german floor. Your nogging and POP/PVC approximately takes out one complete block leaving you with just 12 blocks at finishing. So my previous advice stands correctly.
In the instance where your build comes with a concrete facial your concrete facial is counted as a block and all internal walls go a block higher and every other thing after nogging and POP takes out one block at that finishing level.

Heat transfer in a build is by way of conduction and it is very important to note that a build whose windows(size matters too) are not positioned properly to enable cross ventilation will not give you your desired results even if you create the vents on the roof and at some times when your AC is in use.
When putting up a house plan you consider first the direction of the morning sun(most important) and the point where air/wind current originates from. In the instance where you intend to create such roof vents when they don't point in the right direction, your build will only get what is referred to as free air.
Good morning.

The links will help you understand all you need to about vents and how to go about it properly.

https://buildingscience.com/documents/published-articles/pa-crash-course-in-roof-venting/view..............
http://sparrowexteriors.com/2013/08/16/what-types-and-styles-of-roof-vents-are-there/
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:37am On Aug 14, 2017
bigrovar:

There are roofing fittings you can demand for from your roofing tiles suppliers which work to ventilate the roofing attic. Like this picture from our work in this link https://www.nairaland.com/1791485/making-port-harcourt-castle/10

I bought the roofing shingles from Wichtech (Gerrard).

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:42am On Aug 14, 2017
adanny01:
Back to the main thread.

Cutix cables, I am addicted to that brand, although I dont know if they supply to Lagos markets as their factory is in Nnewi, Anambra state. Thick, pure and very costly. It remains difficult to fake as it has markings on the cable.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 12:08pm On Aug 14, 2017
spyder880:

There are roofing fittings you can demand for from your roofing tiles suppliers which work to ventilate the roofing attic. Like this picture from our work in this link https://www.nairaland.com/1791485/making-port-harcourt-castle/10

Thanks once again. Didn't know this.

cc Kolashangeone

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DUNKA(m): 12:17pm On Aug 14, 2017
Good day Please can anyone advise on how to treat and permanently stop the green spirogyra/moss that normally comes up on the walls of a building and fence?

Any pointers for treatment for clearance and re occurrence would be highly appreciated.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 12:26pm On Aug 14, 2017
spyder880:

Cutix cables, I am addicted to that brand, although I dont know if they supply to Lagos markets as their factory is in Nnewi, Anambra state. Thick, pure and very costly. It remains difficult to fake as it has markings on the cable.

Saw cutix in asaba as well.. look good just like coleman to me

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by niyoni: 1:20pm On Aug 14, 2017
spyder880:

Hi buddy. Please how much per square metre did u pay for the wichtech shingles?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 5:50pm On Aug 14, 2017
spyder880:

You mean makings on the cables insulating cover or on the cable copper it's self?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 6:48pm On Aug 14, 2017
nio68:
Guys where can I get to buy large quantity of average - high quality tiles to buy at the best prices in lagos and environs.
Orile, Mushin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:29pm On Aug 14, 2017
kopell:
You mean makings on the cables insulating cover or on the cable copper it's self?

Insulating cover
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 8:43pm On Aug 14, 2017
akinolaolujide:

Orile, Mushin

Mushin, for Tiles, is way too expensive.

Orile is your best bet in terms of pricing and volume.

Caveat: **** I dont sell Tiles or anything, for that matter**** undecided
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 8:51pm On Aug 14, 2017
twinskenny:

Insulating cover

That gets faked too!
Go to that thread where SON destroyed so many fake cables.
Most of them have the etched signs of those companies on it, yet they were fake to the core. undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:57pm On Aug 14, 2017
Daboomb:

That gets faked too!
Most of them have the etched signs of those companies on it, yet they were fake to the core. undecided undecided

Na only God fit save pessin for our naija angry

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:39pm On Aug 14, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Na only God fit save pessin for our naija angry

This your Oga for meme na wah o. That persin don tire well well. smiley

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:52pm On Aug 14, 2017
Daboomb:

That gets faked too!
Na the thing way make me ask that question be that.

(1) (2) (3) ... (748) (749) (750) (751) (752) (753) (754) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Aduragbemi45(m), kopell and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.