Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (772) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4407965 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (769) (770) (771) (772) (773) (774) (775) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 5:01am On Sep 13, 2017
darenyx:

Funny guy
lol...y boss on top?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by heartlove(m): 12:20pm On Sep 13, 2017
hello my able Engr.s you are very right about the chemical i bought mine here in Abuja in Gudu market it work . as my Oga said when u drop little on the floor it foam like yellow.
remain bless my ppl you all

skimanski:

There is a Chemical for cleaning tiles. Once you get to any shop where building tools are sold like shovel, head pans, nails, hammers e.t.c , tell them to give you acid. Yes! thesame acid you here about, that's the chemical. So to be kept totally out of the reach of Children and to be used by people who know how to use it. First thing you do when you get it is to test how strong it is. This can be done by droping a little on the floor and you will notice a Yellowish boiling subtance. If it doesn't boil then its fake.

On getting to site, note you have to pour some quantity on a bucket of water with soap inside the water and use mop or brush to apply on the surface you wish to clean. You should leave the surface soaked with the acid diluted water for like 5mins to 10mins to allow it soak up the surface before you apply your strength in brushing the soaked surface. Note! you are dealing with acid, hence the reason why you are diluting with water. But regardless, you must were any form of protective outfit to avoid direct contact with your skin as this may cause inching and damaged skin.

on a very Important Note: Never Ever allow the acid touch any silver surface when cleaning. Be it stainless of alluminum. E.G door handles, Shower mixers/Faucets, Metal Trims e.t.c. If it does, it burns that surface immediately.

Now from a more professional point of view. Your tilers must always hold foam and cloth when laying tiles for you. The moment they lay one face of the wall before going to the other face of the wall, they must use foam with water to clean the tiled surface and then use the cloth in wiping the water off it. if they don't, no money. It must be agreed on from the beginning. This will save you a lot of cleaning headach at the end. Cleaning is a very important process in construction. We have passed through a lot of challenges regarding cleaning in the past. Infact every department must clean up their mess before they collect their cash. POP finish the must clear out they rubbles and soaked POP floors. Masons install they windows they must use foam to clean it up before they close and collect money. wood guys work, they must clear up they saw dust when they close before they collect cash. Its easy that moment, but difficult when left to accumulate.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by barakah(m): 2:05pm On Sep 13, 2017
EgunMogaji:

A good architect would love this challenge.

I recommend Nairalander Darenyx without any reservation. I'm a twice paying customer.

https://www.nairaland.com/darenyx

Noted, contacting him.
Timtol:

Awesome!
Sure
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 2:19pm On Sep 13, 2017
darenyx:

Would be glad to work with you... Small plot designs are my favourite ... The smaller the better ... grin
Cool cool

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 2:30pm On Sep 13, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I put my integrity (any that I might have on here) on him.

Some key reasons why I think he's a consummate professional architect:

1) he is willing to listen to my Americana ideas without trying to be overbearing with the nonsense "this is how we do it in Nigeria". This doesn't mean that I got everything I wanted including maybe some dangerous ones but he was not dismissive. Some were, even on here.

2) he was available to me. He treated me as if I was his only client and I know he's busy. Some didn't return calls.

3) he has WhatsApp. Maybe this is insignificant but it's very important to me. Instead of playing email for days to get a design right, we were able to do it quickly via WhatsApp.

4) fees, I think his fees are downright prudent.

5) he's easy to work with and is non confrontational. Search Nairaland and for any friction you read on his part around his userid I'll give you $100, he's that clean. Don't bother searching, I'm an Ijebu man, he's squeaky clean

My house has a central courtyard. Other architects couldn't get this right. But he did.

I made an offer before that I stand by. If he screws up your plan I'll personally refund your money.

Good luck on your project.

PS: I was a paying client, twice, so not doing this because I was paid for it. I just like supporting good guys.

I'm trying to get my Brother to hire Skimanski for his Ajjah land, as an example.
This is fantastic, I am satisfied with your recommendation, I visited his thread and I can see that he got so many fantabulous designs, kudos to him, that is how it ought to be on here and not people like Brabus. com, waiting in the wings to defraud clients, a good name is better than silver and gold says the Holy book

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TBrownAuto(m): 4:43pm On Sep 13, 2017
using nigeria wire for condict wiring which mm is good for air conditioner 2.5 or 4mm please advice needed?
however if the ac is 1.5hp pr 2hp whatis the normal or standard mm for the job, I dont want to compromise quality
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 10:44pm On Sep 13, 2017
TBrownAuto:
using nigeria wire for condict wiring which mm is good for air conditioner 2.5 or 4mm please advice needed?
however if the ac is 1.5hp pr 2hp whatis the normal or standard mm for the job, I dont want to compromise quality
You "could" get away with using 2.5mmsq for AC circuits, particularly for low consumption units. But that is a budget choice.

The "STANDARD" as specified by regulation is 4mmsq for 20A circuits

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by blacksta(m): 9:36am On Sep 14, 2017
Please Guys recommend a Contractor or Leave your details here thanks

I have a project ( Demolish and Rebuild) in Lagos State and looking for contractor who will carry this out for me
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:45am On Sep 14, 2017
blacksta:

I have a project ( Demolish and Rebuild) in Lagos State and looking for contractor who will carry this out for me

You could call on us, we are based in lagos.

Samuel Ajose Engineers ltd,
Call/WhatsApp: +2347035596641
Email: Samuelajoseengineers@gmail.com and saeltd14@gmail.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 12:37pm On Sep 14, 2017
blacksta:

Hy I would advice you first get the cost of the project. Get a QS to prepare the BOQ for the project first , That way you could select the best contractor for your project, not just giving out money to any CONTRACTOR who gives you a quote.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by blacksta(m): 12:49pm On Sep 14, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

Hy I would advice you first get the cost of the project. Get a QS to prepare the BOQ for the project first , That way you could select the best contractor for your project, not just giving out money to any CONTRACTOR who gives you a quote.

Thank you for this Informative idea .. Please what is a BOQ and can you recommend a very good QS

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 12:55pm On Sep 14, 2017
blacksta:

Thank you for this Informative idea .. Please what is a BOQ and can you recommend a very good QS

Thanks

I am a quantity surveyor (QS) . A BOQ is an abbreviation for bill of quantities which is a document that shows the cost breakdown of construction project. From the Pre construction to post construction stage. Usually used during tendering process for the selection of a contractor.Drop your number or message me on Whatsapp. if your interested

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 1:27pm On Sep 14, 2017
blacksta:

Thanks

Most contractors would normally inflate the cost of a project.Imagine a project of N15M,a contractor would tell you its N25M then when you try to bargain he tells you the foundation requires a lot of filling and cement or he shows you a picture of his past project and tells you he finished the project for N25M or he slashes the price and gives you N22M, since you dont know better, you award the Contract to the contractor.

But if you had the BOQ,You'll quickly counter the contractors claim and probably invite other contractors to bid for the project as you now have the BOQ and a QS to help you with the selection process.

THATS THE JOB OF THE BOQ.

09056082348(Whatsapp &call)
raymondfubara@gmail.com

Or you could drop your number or email

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by blacksta(m): 1:58pm On Sep 14, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

Most contractors would normally inflate the cost of a project.Imagine a project of N15M,a contractor would tell you its N25M then when you try to bargain he tells you the foundation requires a lot of filling and cement or he shows you a picture of his past project and tells you he finished the project for N25M or he slashes the price and gives you N22M, since you dont know better, you award the Contract to the contractor.

But if you had the BOQ,You'll quickly counter the contractors claim and probably invite other contractors to bid for the project as you now have the BOQ and a QS to help you with the selection process.

THATS THE JOB OF THE BOQ.

09056082348(Whatsapp &call)
raymondfubara@gmail.com

Or you could drop your number or email
Hi

Will email you shortly
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 2:03pm On Sep 14, 2017
blacksta:
Hi
Will email you shortly
okay .will be expecting.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 2:21pm On Sep 14, 2017
Give me the price of each item:
cement
12mm
10mm
8mm
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 3:10pm On Sep 14, 2017
Una well done here oo

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 5:34pm On Sep 14, 2017
blacksta:
Hi
Will email you shortly
Goodevening ,have replied your mail sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 14, 2017
This is just a general notice aka warning to the properties readers.

We've had quite a bit of downright fraudulent activities served on many members via this forum. We've had many dangerous activities like baiting of vendors to sites to be robbed right here on this forum, we've had many alleged contractors that showed the project of other people as their own project, we've had contractors that were doing shoddy and sometimes downright dangerous work right here on this forum.

And these are just the ones that made it out in the open. Many are resolved in the back end offline.

Just because someone is a voracious poster on this forum doesn't make them a consummate expert. Due diligence is the key.

Keep your wallets close to your chest, do intricate (I used this word specifically) research on their off and on Nairaland work/builds/projects before committing to work with anyone.

The level of 419 when the dollar was N160 was great and I cannot just imagine it now that it is at N350.

Good luck to all concerned and as usual my respect to the true professionals on here.

Addendum:

One voracious member of this very same topic was last reported to be in jail for committing property related fraud according to a national Nigerian newspaper. So this warning is real and should not be taken lightly.

This is one of us on this thread ---> https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/11/estate-agent-docked-alleged-n5m-fraud/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 6:11pm On Sep 14, 2017
EgunMogaji:
This is just a general notice aka warning to the properties readers.

We've had quite a bit of downright fraudulent activities served on many members via this forum. We've had many dangerous activities like baiting of vendors to sites to be robbed right here on this forum, we've had many alleged contractors that showed the project of other people as their own project, we've had contractors that were doing shoddy and sometimes downright dangerous work right here on this forum.

And these are just the ones that made it out in the open. Many are resolved in the back end offline.

Just because someone is a voracious poster on this forum doesn't make them a consummate expert. Due diligence is the key.

Keep your wallets close to your chest, do intricate (I used this word specifically) research on their off and on Nairaland work/builds/projects before committing to work with anyone.

The level of 419 when the dollar was N160 was great and I cannot just imagine it now that it is at N350.

Good luck to all concerned and as usual my respect to the true professionals on here.

TRUE talk. That's why proper checks have to be done.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by darenyx(m): 6:17pm On Sep 14, 2017
blacksta:

+234-804-484-3342
+234-705-544-4324

darenyxaid@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olazzeedris(m): 7:03pm On Sep 14, 2017
Nawa ooo! Mr JJC@ Raymondfirst born so u can be urter these can statement! remember there are elderly professional in this forum if ur biding for contract u don't molest someone else!
Mind u calling ur self a QS u are non competent to compite for a contract infact u re absolutely zero (4 saying most contractors are normally infilate quote, so you means no straight forward contractor again?When most of qz also gave different infilated quote to the client and pally with contractor for the lesser quote in other to have there way.

The op ask u what is BOQ then you can not defined in simple manal without molesting others professionals, is this how u re thought in school?
Nawa 4 children of these days

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 7:55pm On Sep 14, 2017
Olazzeedris:
Nawa ooo! Mr JJC@ Raymondfirst born so u can be urter these can statement! remember there are elderly professional in this forum if ur biding for contract u don't molest someone else!
Mind u calling ur self a QS u are non competent to compite for a contract infact u re absolutely zero (4 saying most contractors are normally infilate quote, so you means no straight forward contractor again?When most of qz also gave different infilated quote to the client and pally with contractor for the lesser quote in other to have there way.

The op ask u what is BOQ then you can not defined in simple manal without molesting others professionals, is this how u re thought in school?
Nawa 4 children of these days

Your getting me wrong am not bidding for any contract,because am not a building contractor and I have never said I was one, check my signature.Was only advising him as so many contractors on NL would want to contact him.
Wouldnt it be good to know the cost breakdown of the house you want to build, before you call a contractor?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:05pm On Sep 14, 2017
blacksta:

I restrict myself to the S, E and North for such jobs.

But you can contact any one of these on this platform.

Skimanski
Darenyx

Goodluck.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 8:13pm On Sep 14, 2017
bixton:

I restrict myself to the S, E and North for such jobs.
But you can contact any one of these on this platform.
Skimanski Darenyx

Goodluck.
Great! I your boy says una well done oo
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by phemmy88(m): 8:14pm On Sep 14, 2017
Well, I see a lot of unethical professionals here.

BOQ= Bill of Quantities

A bill of quantities (BOQ) is a document used in tendering in the construction industry / supplies in which materials, parts, and labor (and their costs) are itemized.

In lay man's term.. Its a comprehensive "Quotation" showing how much will be required to complete a particular construction project.

* As a Client, if you're embarking on a construction work and and u request contractor(s) to tender for such project .....he/she will prepare and submit a BOQ to you.

* For you to be able to Negotiate properly as you're a Novice in the field, you'll need the service of a private(consultant) Quantity Surveyor that will give you an holistic Estimate on the proposed. This is to be able to compare your contractors Quotation by using your private Qs BOQ as a yardstick.

Thank You.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 8:16pm On Sep 14, 2017
phemmy88:

BOQ= Bill of Quantities

A bill of quantities (BOQ) is a document used in tendering in the construction industry / supplies in which materials, parts, and labor (and their costs) are itemized.

In lay man's term.. Its a comprehensive "Quotation" showing how much will be required to complete a particular construction project.

* As a Client, if you're embarking on a construction work and and u request contractor(s) to tender for such project .....he/she will prepare and submit a BOQ to you.

* For you to be able to Negotiate properly as you're a Novice in the field, you'll need the service of a private(consultant) Quantity Surveyor that will give you an holistic Estimate on the proposed. This is to be able to compare your contractors Quotation by using your private Qs BOQ as a yardstick.

Thank You.

baba thank you o.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:18pm On Sep 14, 2017
phemmy88:

BOQ= Bill of Quantities

Thank You.

I agree.

We have a new crop now, sadly.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:31pm On Sep 14, 2017
TBrownAuto:

please 4mm for ac and water heater recommended

in most cases i do use 2.5mm for the earth cable. that should save some amount

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:34pm On Sep 14, 2017
blacksta:

i have worked with a few here

abduwastecx
kolashangone
darenyx
aventures
segcymoore

all capable hands
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 9:44pm On Sep 14, 2017
kopell:
You're absolutely right. The PLOLYTECNIC GRADUATES are better in practical hand on skills right form technical school to polytechnic. This is one of the biggest problem we have in our education system today. Many university graduate that are unemployable, because they like skill to be productive. Let be honest with our self.

Let us not go into this University Vs. Poly Graduates thing again.

Each one of them have their areas of core competence but are meant to be compementary toone another, to get a finished product.

University graduates are NEVER trained to be hands-on (as in technical DIY, under-the bonnet stuffs) for jobs.
They are trained to use their BRAINS, Not their HANDS!
A University graudate is practically a "Designer" of projects (be it Engineering, Medcine, Architecture, Computer Software, et.c).
Their brains have been developed to CONCEPTUALISE POSSIBILITIES, where non exists and to put such CONCEPTS on paper.

This is where it ends! grin
So, dont be surprised that a University trained mechanical Engineer cant get under the bonnet and repair his own car!
He is just not trained to do such and it is not necessary on his part, anyway. There is someone else (Poly grad) trained to do such.

But ask him to DESIGN a non-existing vehicle to certain specs, he will go to those Engineering Software, use his knowledge and come out with a prototype that WILL WORK!
Again, that is where it ends.

The Poly Graduate on the other hand, is trained to USE HIS HANDS, they are very hands-on and are trained to COMPLEMENT, by picking up where the University Graduate left the job.
The are the ones that really bring concepts designed by a Uni-graudate, TO LIFE.
Just give him any design and he would use welding machines, nuts and bolts and put it together.
If it is faulty, he would repair it.
That is their advantage and area of competence.

But without mincing words, you will notice straight away that their conversational English is almost zero, too much poor English (but they dont really need it and dont do much of English in school, unlike the Uni-gradaute.
What they need (an dhave in large quantity), is their hands-on experience, which a Uni-gradaute does not have

They are not "thinkers and brain workers" who develop ideas from scratch,, unlike the University crowds.
They mostly cant put what they know (ideas) across in a way that catches attention (I have interviewd a few and l know this) even when they have it in their mind!
But just give then something to work on (brain work) and you will see tha they are geniuses!
That is why you will find a lot of them in 'practical' jobs like Construction, Surveying,Manufacturing, Elelctrical, e.t.c

Let me stop here and summarise:
Both Graduates (Uni and Poly), are developed to COMPLEMENT EACH OTHER, one is not better than the other but each is a proffessional and have its area of core-competence.

The problem we expereince is that the Nigerian environment has been so bastardised such that only "conceptualisers" (brain workers) are in much demand, simply because we are not a manufacturing/producing nation.

The hands-on people dont have much to do right now and that is reflective in our poor level of development, low level of production, e.tc even when Nigerians are in many top "brain positions" all over the world.

I hope this settles it once and for all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:49pm On Sep 14, 2017
Daboomb:

Let us not go into this University Vs. Poly Graduates thing again.

Each one of them have their areas of core competence but are meant to be compementary toone another, to get a finished product.

University graduates are NEVER trained to be hands-on (as in technical DIY, under-the bonnet stuffs) for jobs.
They are trained to use their BRAINS, Not their HANDS!
A University graudate is practically a "Designer" of projects (be it Engineering, Medcine, Architecture, Computer Software, et.c).
Their brains have been developed to CONCEPTUALISE POSSIBILITIES, where non exists and to put such CONCEPTS on paper.

This is where it ends! grin
So, dont be surprised that a University trained mechanical Engineer cant get under the bonnet and repair his own car!
He is just not trained to do such and it is not necessary on his part, anyway. There is someone else (Poly grad) trained to do such.

But ask him to DESIGN a non-existing vehicle to certain specs, he will go to those Engineering Software, use his knowledge and come out with a prototype that WILL WORK!
Again, that is where it ends.

The Poly Graduate on the other hand, is trained to USE HIS HANDS, they are very hands-on and are trained to COMPLEMENT, by picking up where the University Graduate left the job.
The are the ones that really bring concepts designed by a Uni-graudate, TO LIFE.
Just give him any design and he would use welding machines, nuts and bolts and put it together.
If it is faulty, he would repair it.
That is their advantage and area of competence.

But without mincing words, you will notice straight away that their conversational English is almost zero, too much poor English (but they dont really need it and dont do much of English in school, unlike the Uni-gradaute.
What they need (an dhave in large quantity), is their hands-on experience, which a Uni-gradaute does not have

They are not "thinkers and brain workers" who develop ideas from scratch,, unlike the University crowds.
They mostly cant put what they know (ideas) across in a way that catches attention (I have interviewd a few and l know this) even when they have it in their mind!
But just give then something to work on (brain work) and you will see tha they are geniuses!
That is why you will find a lot of them in 'practical' jobs like Construction, Surveying,Manufacturing, Elelctrical, e.t.c

Let me stop here and summarise:
Both Graduates (Uni and Poly), are developed to COMPLEMENT EACH OTHER, one is not better than the other but each is a proffessional and have its area of core-competence.

The problem we expereince is that the Nigerian environment has been so bastardised such that only "conceptualisers" (brain workers) are in much demand, simply because we are not a manufacturing/producing nation.

The hands-on people dont have much to do right now and that is reflective in our poor level of development, low level of production, e.tc even when Nigerians are in many top "brain positions" all over the world.

I hope this settles it once and for all.

If not for the missing colors and the typos (which can be cleaned up) then I would have swore that you are Lastpage.

His postings are just as detailed as yours.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (769) (770) (771) (772) (773) (774) (775) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: uchechukwuochei(m), Inception(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.