Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,923 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (774) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4369210 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (771) (772) (773) (774) (775) (776) (777) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:19am On Sep 16, 2017
KolaShangOne:

Oga EgunMogaji, Anybody can call themselves Engineer o.. Even Kazeems are Engineers ( I'm sure you get the joke). But to have Engr as a title, you need to pass some professional exams.

Okay good.

The one that gets me is one day I went to Total to change my oil and I was told the Engineer is not around shocked

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 12:00pm On Sep 16, 2017
Engineers in the house should not forget to include we quantity surveyors in your Argument.
We can also be called COST ENGINEERS.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 16, 2017
Tor

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olumide4christ: 12:44pm On Sep 16, 2017
raymondFirstborn:
Engineers in the house should not forget to include we quantity surveyors in your Argument.
We can also be called COST ENGINEERS.

That's what QS are called in the USA only.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 1:38pm On Sep 16, 2017
olumide4christ:

Cost consultant
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 2:23pm On Sep 16, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Okay good.

The one that gets me is one day I went to Total to change my oil and I was told the Engineer is not around shocked

Of course he is an "EngineER"

Your car needed a new engine oil and an EngineER is needed to do that. Engine - Engineer, see grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:25pm On Sep 16, 2017
kopell:
Abdul is these your CORED exam or licences acceptable to practice world wide? Or Can it be reevaluate as what we called PE here that is acceptable world wide.

I don't think so sir, since our system here is not that well recognized world wide

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:13pm On Sep 16, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Okay good.

Oga mi, you no dey finish o. Laugh don kill me.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 6:23pm On Sep 16, 2017
olumide4christ:

As far as i am knowledgeably informed, cost engineering and quantity surveying are not exactly the same. Their duties however are very similar but their field defers.

Quantity surveying deals majorly with building construction while cost engineering with engineering projects such as a refinery, high voltage power lines/substation, power generation etc.

QS uses the term BOQ - Bill of quantities while Cost engineer uses the term BEME - Bill of Engineering Measurements.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 16, 2017
Quantity Surveyor is NOT the same as Cost Engineer. But na naija we dey, BS wins sad
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:52pm On Sep 16, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Okay good.

Wetin? Go to any corner repair shop and they address the repairers as engineer.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 16, 2017
adanny01:

As far as i am knowledgeably informed, cost engineering and quantity surveying are not exactly the same. Their duties however are very similar but their field defers.

Quantity surveying deals majorly with building construction while cost engineering with engineering projects such as a refinery, high voltage power lines/substation, power generation etc.

QS uses the term BOQ - Bill of quantities while Cost engineer uses the term BEME - Bill of Engineering Measurements.

Imho, a cost engineer is an an engineer tasked with duties traditionally associated with quantity surveying. Just as a project engineer is an an engineer tasked with duties associated with project management, and a cad engineer is an engineer tasked with cad related duties.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:31pm On Sep 16, 2017
mufutau55:

Oga mi, you no dey finish o. Laugh don kill me.

Hajji M.

Na so Sir.

I feel bad calling myself an engineer with my MCSE so I always omit it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 8:36pm On Sep 16, 2017
diordaves:

It SHOULD be Lastpage . If I can remember, I think he said sometime back that the "Lastpage" handle has been banned for several months or maybe indefinitely or something like that.
Last page is one of the great and detailed controbutor here despite our individual difference which is Normal as human beings. You have to give it to him

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:36pm On Sep 16, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Na so Sir.
I feel bad calling myself an engineer with my MCSE so I always omit it.

Na wah o. I have that one too from long time ago.. but never used it to work.
Like Spyder said "As long as Engine dey there, nah Engineer" o. I no dey argue o.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 8:44pm On Sep 16, 2017
oyb:

Imho, a cost engineer is an an engineer tasked with duties traditionally associated with quantity surveying. Just as a project engineer is an an engineer tasked with duties associated with project management, and a cad engineer is an engineer tasked with cad related duties.

Using project management as an example, there are schools that offer project management as bachelor degree. These graduates are not just tasked with project management duties, it becomes their profession.

I have done project management duties in my former company writing monthly progress reports and chairing monthly progress meetings and even representing the project manager etc. However, i would never be appointed or employed as a project manager with my little experience. In Nigeria, to be nominated and approved a project manager for a government related project requires minimum of 10yrs project management experience and 15yrs overall experience along with COREN plus other conditions.

What is now the duties of a graduate of project management (bachelors)? He will not be employed a project manager without experience. So project management as a field of engineering is experience and also a profession.

I can say the same with Cost engineering, its not just a duty, but a profession studied in undergrad and pg level. In my experience, I have been a cost engineer, a project manager, a structural engineer, a foundation engineer, a civil engineer, a driver/mechanic, a draftsman etc. Those were my engineering duties but that doesnot qualify me to be taken by Dangote group as their cost engineer for their refinery project. I have to get a certification or accumulate experience with regards to cost engineering.

I can get admitted for masters in Cost engineering, project management, foundation engineering etc as a civil engineer. A chemical engineer can be admitted for cost engrg and project management but not foundation engrg. I can only use my cost engineering training for civil engineering projects but cannot cost chemical engineering projects.

I am saying lets not limit cost engineering to duties of all engineers but recognise it as a professional engineering discipline side by side with QS as a discipline. Duties are the same but profession is not the same.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:39pm On Sep 16, 2017
mufutau55:

Na wah o. I have that one too from long time ago.. but never used it to work.
Like Spyder said "As long as Engine dey there, nah Engineer" o. I no dey argue o.

Hajji M.

My family and I will be forever indebted to Bill Gates. Though I'm not hands-on anymore those were the formative days that set a baseline for expected income for the future.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 2:26pm On Sep 17, 2017
adanny01:

Using project management as an example, there are schools that offer project management as bachelor degree. These graduates are not just tasked with project management duties, it becomes their profession.

I have done project management duties in my former company writing monthly progress reports and chairing monthly progress meetings and even representing the project manager etc. However, i would never be appointed or employed as a project manager with my little experience. In Nigeria, to be nominated and approved a project manager for a government related project requires minimum of 10yrs project management experience and 15yrs overall experience along with COREN plus other conditions.

What is now the duties of a graduate of project management (bachelors)? He will not be employed a project manager without experience. So project management as a field of engineering is experience and also a profession.

I can say the same with Cost engineering, its not just a duty, but a profession studied in undergrad and pg level. In my experience, I have been a cost engineer, a project manager, a structural engineer, a foundation engineer, a civil engineer, a driver/mechanic, a draftsman etc. Those were my engineering duties but that doesnot qualify me to be taken by Dangote group as their cost engineer for their refinery project. I have to get a certification or accumulate experience with regards to cost engineering.

I can get admitted for masters in Cost engineering, project management, foundation engineering etc as a civil engineer. A chemical engineer can be admitted for cost engrg and project management but not foundation engrg. I can only use my cost engineering training for civil engineering projects but cannot cost chemical engineering projects.

I am saying lets not limit cost engineering to duties of all engineers but recognise it as a professional engineering discipline side by side with QS as a discipline. Duties are the same but profession is not the same.

TRUE talk here is what my QS and building tech dad with over 50years experience has to say

Cost Engineers Surveys the market , does the evaluation of the Rates , evaluation of impacts of market escalations and tensions , calculates the deployment of T&P , cost of hiring skilled and unskilled labour and prepares the Rate Analysis for certain items of work or Evaluates the Cost of construction works.

While

The Quantity surveyor does the analysis of quantities , prepares the Rate analysis ,does the calculation of the quantities of work and obtains the expected cost of work. He Prepares the projects schedule of works and flow for execution and monitors it to ensure its proper implementation.ETC (GOT TIRED OF LISTENING)

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 2:51pm On Sep 17, 2017
adanny01:

I dont support this totally.
QS dont deal with buildings only, we do lot of engineering stuffs too.Any sound QS with experience in engineering works should be able to do BEME.
I cant speak for other QS's, I personally I have done the BOQ for large engineering projects.
I have personally done the BOQ for NEPAL OIL AND GAS fuel depot, which cost over N800M, BOQ for Rammanyah OIL AND GAS which cost over N1B (have got proof) and other projects which I cant start mentioning here.

So in conclusion Cost Engineers and QS's are similar except that one is more recognized than the other(QS).I have been 2 offices where QS's are being refered to as cost engineers.During my ND days as a student, at one of the QS events we went to, I remember a top NIQS official told us that QS's can also be addressed as Cost engineers.

To also buttress my point, I can tell you that the Bill of Engineering Measurement and Evaluation, BEME, being used by engineers is not internationally recognised but was packaged by engineers to retain their stranglehold on the construction industry- QUOTING MR OLAYEMI SHONUBI (immediate past chairman of NIQS Lagos state chapter. )

Only the BOQ prepared by a QS is recognized Internationally.

Shikena
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 17, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

I dont support this totally.
QS dont deal with buildings only, we do lot of engineering stuffs too.Any sound QS with experience in engineering works should be able to do BEME.
I cant speak for other QS's, I personally I have done the BOQ for large engineering projects.
I have personally done the BOQ for NEPAL OIL AND GAS fuel depot, which cost over N800M, BOQ for Rammanyah OIL AND GAS which cost over N1B (have got proof) and other projects which I cant start mentioning here.

So in conclusion Cost Engineers and QS's are similar except that one is more recognized than the other(QS).I have been 2 offices where QS's are being refered to as cost engineers.During my ND days as a student, at one of the QS events we went to, I remember a top NIQS official told us that QS's can also be addressed as Cost engineers.

To also buttress my point, I can tell you that the Bill of Engineering Measurement and Evaluation, BEME, being used by engineers is not internationally recognised but was packaged by engineers to retain their stranglehold on the construction industry- QUOTING MR OLAYEMI SHONUBI (immediate past chairman of NIQS Lagos state chapter. )

Only the BOQ prepared by a QS is recognized Internationally.

Shikena

Interesting. So let me get this straight, you did the entire boqs for an oil and gas facility? Civil, piping, mechanical, electrical, communications, fire fighting, above ground tanks?

Just you , not a team of QSes?

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 3:30pm On Sep 17, 2017
oyb:

Interesting. So let me get this straight, you did the entire boqs for an oil and gas facility? Civil, piping, mechanical, electrical, communications, fire fighting, above ground tanks?

Just you , not a team of QSes?

yes I DID.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:43pm On Sep 17, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

yes I DID.

How many litres is the facility? How many tanks? How many loading arms?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 4:00pm On Sep 17, 2017
oyb:

How many litres is the facility? How many tanks? How many loading arms?

Ehm cant really remember all that.Did them in 2015 and dont have the M&E drawings plus have been involved in building projects lately. All I remember is slop tanks here and there,underground tanks and some other things.
Tanks? Cant tell you how many exactly,All I know are their names. Firewater tanks,oil water separator,slop tanks,ungerground tanks,storage tanks.

NOT MY SPECIALTY ANYWAYS, worked on them when I was working in FAAN. I can forward the bill to you from my mail,if your doubting.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 17, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

Ehm cant really remember all that.Did them in 2015 and dont have the M&E drawings plus have been involved in building projects lately. All I remember is slop tanks here and there,underground tanks and some other things.
Tanks? Cant tell you how many exactly,All I know are their names. Firewater tanks,oil water separator,slop tanks,ungerground tanks,storage tanks.

NOT MY SPECIALTY ANYWAYS, worked on them when I was working in FAAN. I can forward the bill to you from my mail,if your doubting.

Oh, I know you're Bullshitting, it's just the suckers who believe your bs I feel sorry for. I'm just not sure if it is exaggeration of your role or outright lying.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 4:05pm On Sep 17, 2017
oyb:

Oh, I know you're Bullshitting, it's just the suckered who believe your bs I feel sorry for. I'm just not sure if it is exaggeration of your role or outright lying.

alright drop your mail here Ableg.let me forward the bill to you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 4:08pm On Sep 17, 2017
oyb:

Oh, I know you're Bullshitting, it's just the suckered who believe your bs I feel sorry for. I'm just not sure if it is exaggeration of your role or outright lying.

Dont have time for argument this sunday afternoon. you will see for yourself. Would send the raw excel format. mtcewwww
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:11pm On Sep 17, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

alright drop your mail here Ableg.let me forward the bill to you.

Dude, your forwarding the bill means absolutely nothing. The fact that you even say bill rather than bills is enough cause for doubt.

I can easily share any document from my office and claim as my own.

Your claims do not match your attitude. A person working on projects of that magnitude would not be doing 'hussle' as you called it.

It also does not match your LinkedIn profile which indicates you are in a real estate company.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 4:15pm On Sep 17, 2017
oyb:

Dude, your forwarding the bill means absolutely nothing. The fact that you even say bill rather than bills is enough cause for doubt.

Your claims do not match your attitude. A person working on projects of that magnitude would not be doing 'hussle' as you called it.

It also does not match your LinkedIn profile which indicates you are in a real estate company.

I worked in property mart TRUE as a sales consultant. for a period of 7months .but haven't updated my profile since then Right now Am back to Likenew maintenance services limited a project and facility management firm as a QS
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 4:21pm On Sep 17, 2017
oyb:

when I forward the bill which contains other books of spreadsheet.

In a tankfarm/Fuel depot
we've got

An admin building
pumphouse
Firewater shed
Utility building
Gen House
Lightning kiosk
Switch room and a bunch of other things.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 17, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

Dont have time for argument this sunday afternoon. you will see for yourself. Would send the raw excel format. mtcewwww

So? We engaged TLD to design our proposed terminal. Running into billions. Multiple teams. And here we have you, a QS of indeterminate years of experience, claiming you single handedly did the review, proposal, scope and boqs for a billion naira project.

And you are the same person pretending to be an architect for 'hussle'

I can also forward the entire feed documents from TLD and claim its from me.

Our in house architect runs the same scam well. Tells clients he can do everything, then raids our old drawings and boqs, tweaks and presents as his own.

No be today them dey do that format.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 17, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

when I forward the bill which contains other books of spreadsheet.

In a tankfarm/Fuel depot
we've got

An admin building
pumphouse
Firewater shed
Utility building
Gen House
Lightning kiosk
Switch room and a bunch of other things.

All you have called are the civil works. You claimed all disciplines, not so? And you have still missed out three of the most critical structures in a depot.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 4:32pm On Sep 17, 2017
oyb:

IF I forward the bill you would see the date, year 2015 and time it was sent to my BOSS.

The hussle thing started recently.As at 2015 I worked at Federal Airport Authority Nigeria (FAAN)as an assistant QS.So me Preparing a billion Naira BOQ dosent mean money go enter pocket.And if you dont know mainly QS firms work in teams.At FAAN its a QS To an OGA,OR 3QS's to an OGA.

Pls dont come and put sand in My Garri on Nairaland.

(1) (2) (3) ... (771) (772) (773) (774) (775) (776) (777) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: RockOfAgesAlumi(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.