Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (908) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4405635 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (905) (906) (907) (908) (909) (910) (911) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by maecomtech(m): 7:36am On Mar 21, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Well done.

It's always good to save money. You can then use that money in other areas of the build.

That's really good, doing a very good job of high quality and saving cost is a very important skill to be adopted in project management.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WorldAmbassador: 9:02am On Mar 21, 2018
spyder880:

This is colouring my people, I was fooled by the colour and even thought it to be of a better quality until I traced the block to the production point and asked questions. What they do is to go to where tyres are burnt, gather the black soot with dust and mix with sand and cement. The block comes out darker, leaving one with the impression that they are of higher strength. Meanwhile, Enugu seldom uses stone dust to make blocks, very rare.

I'll also admit that the darker color make the blocks look better. You're the expert Oga Spyder, and I bet you've checked to ensure using black soot from tires does not damage the integrity of the block.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 9:47am On Mar 21, 2018
spyder880:

This is colouring my people, I was fooled by the colour and even thought it to be of a better quality until I traced the block to the production point and asked questions. What they do is to go to where tyres are burnt, gather the black soot with dust and mix with sand and cement. The block comes out darker, leaving one with the impression that they are of higher strength. Meanwhile, Enugu seldom uses stone dust to make blocks, very rare.

You can imagine where Nigerians want to channel their creativity to. Cheating people

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:37am On Mar 21, 2018
EgunMogaji:
I have a simple question.

Why are you folks building your own house instead of buying an existing one?

MONEY. Alot of us in Nigeria, say 90%, build in stages because we can't afford the money at a stretch. These stages can span for 3-7 years before completion and allows for slow progressive building.

INTEGRITY. As with that popular estate company that had a case of building collapse, most of these already built houses cut corners and you can't vouch for the structural integrity of the building.
Alot of fake things are also in the market.

I spoke with some friends about a topic "IS BUILDING A RESIDENTIAL HOUSE AN INVESTMENT" What is your view?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 11:33am On Mar 21, 2018
KolaShangOne:

MONEY. Alot of us in Nigeria, say 90%, build in stages because we can't afford the money at a stretch. These stages can span for 3-7 years before completion and allows for slow progressive building.

INTEGRITY. As with that popular estate company that had a case of building collapse, most of these already built houses cut corners and you can't vouch for the structural integrity of the building.

I spoke with some friends about a topic "IS BUILDING A RESIDENTIAL HOUSE AN INVESTMENT" What is your view?

But how many of these already built homes in these estates have collapsed? Some privately built homes have been reported to collapse as well! And with some of these already built homes, you can pay in stages or buy it with a mortgage, and insure the building. Don't get me wrong, if you are around 24/7 to project manage your building, then that's better, but if you are not around, then it is a time-consuming, tedious, expensive (as you will definitely be cheated) process!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 12:05pm On Mar 21, 2018
ceelog:

Ironically, I spent less (nearly 100k less) in this plinth beam foundation compared to the 5 to 6 coaches strip and block foundation initially proposed. Even the NL Engr was impressed with the cost difference.
I hope when the Engr decides to showcase the build, he will explain better.

Are you saying the top of your plinth beam now becomes the point to floor the building?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 12:18pm On Mar 21, 2018
bixton:

Are you saying the top of your plinth beam now becomes the point to floor the building?
Sir is anything wrong in casting your german floor ontop plinth beam?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 1:33pm On Mar 21, 2018
rabcnesbit:

[b]But how many of these already built homes in these estates have collapsed? [/b]Some privately built homes have been reported to collapse as well! And with some of these already built homes, you can pay in stages or buy it with a mortgage, and insure the building. Don't get me wrong, if you are around 24/7 to project manage your building, then that's better, but if you are not around, then it is a time-consuming, tedious, expensive (as you will definitely be cheated) process!

@ bolded refers,

You might not see someone their buildings collapsing after construction(1-2 years) but overtime you will observe cracks on the walls,soil displacement and some other minor structural defects.

Only a handful of these estates consider quality matrix in all stages of the building process and you find out these houses don't come cheap ,if you are in Lagos find time to visit some of these estates and have firsthand data of the state and level of dilapidation of the houses.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 1:43pm On Mar 21, 2018
KolaShangOne:

@ the last question,

I believe building a residential house is an investment. I can live in it and possibly sell the house if I want to relocate at a much higher value. Its like speculation, only that you occupy till you are ready to move, then you cash out.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 1:46pm On Mar 21, 2018
Rubbiish:

Sir is anything wrong in casting your german floor ontop plinth beam?

There's absolutely nothing wrong.
I guess that area is well drained.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 1:51pm On Mar 21, 2018
I am considering stamped concrete flooring for my compound. Anybody able to recommend someone with good quality of work and reasonable prices and covers the Sango Ota (Ogun State) area? Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 1:58pm On Mar 21, 2018
bixton:

There's absolutely nothing wrong. I guess that area is well drained.
@bold as regard the height of the dpc?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 2:00pm On Mar 21, 2018
rabcnesbit:
I am considering stamped concrete flooring for my compound. Anybody able to recommend someone with good quality of work and reasonable prices and covers the Sango Ota (Ogun State) area? Thank you
Is stamped concrete better than interlock in terms of durability?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 2:32pm On Mar 21, 2018
It amazes me how far Nigerian will go to cheat each other rather than create something superior. I hope someone will research the strength of this new " Discovery". They might have stumble on something better by mistake.

skimanski:

You can imagine where Nigerians want to channel their creativity to. Cheating people

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:41pm On Mar 21, 2018
true2home:
It amazes me how far Nigerian will go to cheat each other rather than create something superior. I hope someone will research the strength of this new " Discovery". They might have stumble on something better by mistake.

Not only the act of cheating itself but I’m more dismayed at how much it’s celebrated.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:43pm On Mar 21, 2018
Rubbiish:

@bold as regard the height of the dpc?

Yea
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 2:46pm On Mar 21, 2018
Rubbiish:

Is stamped concrete better than interlock in terms of durability?

I cannot say as I am not an expert in this field nor have I had first hand experience of both, but from reading about it on the net, I garner the following (some advantages of stamped concrete over interlocking stones):

a. Unlike Interlocking Stones, Stamped Paving can stay as long as 10 years without grass growing out from grout joints which is one of the biggest disadvantage of Interlocking Stones.

b. Stamped Concrete Paving offers Stable and Durable Paving unlike Interlocking Paving Stones that most times starts sinking when the Stones settle after installation.

c. Longevity and performance Like conventional concrete, stamped concrete will provide decades of service when properly installed and maintained, even when exposed to harsh weather. Adding steel reinforcement or wire mesh will augment the strength and help to control cracking.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 3:14pm On Mar 21, 2018
spyder880:

@ the last question,

I believe building a residential house is an investment. I can live in it and possibly sell the house if I want to relocate at a much higher value. Its like speculation, only that you occupy till you are ready to move, then you cash out.

Well said. But most times we classify an asset as something that generates income. The value of the land appreciates but the value of the house somegow depreciates with use.

So, if I'm not planning to cash out on the house, Is a house you live in still an asset?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 3:21pm On Mar 21, 2018
true2home:

Personally I don't think its bad if it's done in order to improve quality and not to deceive people.

I read a Masters Project Topic in University of Ibadan where Ash was used in a certain percentage to replace cement in concrete mixture. The ash was from wood.
But I can't remember the final conclusion on if it had adverse effect on the concrete properties or not.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 3:33pm On Mar 21, 2018
KolaShangOne:

Personally I don't think its bad if it's done in order to improve quality and not to deceive people.

I read a Masters Project Topic in University of Ibadan where Ash was used in a certain percentage to replace cement in concrete mixture. The ash was from wood.
But I can't remember the final conclusion on if it had adverse effect on the concrete properties or not.

Nice one.
If mixed with the cement in the proper proportion, it increases the strength of the block/concrete.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:45pm On Mar 21, 2018
grin

Just like that? No test needed?

Na wa o. Nothing you won’t read about on here cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 3:53pm On Mar 21, 2018
ceelog:

I thank God for providing me that Engr that helped choose a plinth beam for my foundation even when I could just have done a strip. Any nearby movt or road construction or clay-laterite settlement no concern me.

Don't you think the foundation may be too low for our poor urban planning? The foundation may be good against earth movement or differential settlement, but what about local flooding? What if the adjoining road is later constructed, going by the photo, chances are, the road may be higher than your property and then you would have an issue on your hand.

I think it should be higher. What do you think?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:55pm On Mar 21, 2018
diordaves:

Don't you think the foundation may be too low for our poor urban planning? The foundation may be good against earth movement or differential settlement, but what about local flooding? What if the adjoining road is later constructed, going by the photo, chances are, the road may be higher than your property and then you would have an issue on your hand.

I’ll need to see a wider shot.

I myself prefer a high foundation. Just in case.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:13pm On Mar 21, 2018
KolaShangOne:

Reasons why I'm building my own house.

1) Spiritual: For me, in Nigeria, I cannot buy a house to live in that I don't know what it was built on. I'll live it at that.

2) Location: I like living in suburbia, not really a city dweller. In fact, I don't think that I moved far away enough. I am surprised at the fast pace of development in my area. Maybe I should have gone to Idi Ayunre.

3) Design: The overall layout, starting with the compound, is very important to my lifestyle. Also going inside the house it becomes more important. Where is the master bedroom located, do the rooms have toilets in them like a gademn hotel, is there a stupid washi hand basin slapped into the dining area? Was good flow considered, both for air and people?

4) Architecture: I hate roman pillars with a passion. This and other mismatch designs drives me batty. I need specific things like attached outside areas like a patio, courtyard, etc. Most homes in Nigeria do not have it though some have balconies.

5) Finishing: Some interiors look like a catalog of whorehouses. Mismatch of colors on walls and tiles. I'm talking really gaudy stuff. The kicker is that vast amount of money were spent on most of the ridiculous and tasteless stuff.

6) Quality of Materials: Once I saw the quality of blocks in 2 or 3 places in my area I knew that I couldn't trust them. How many times have we also seen columns that were built on top of blocks? The current trend now is columns without baskets?

So those are the reasons why "I" chose to build rather than buy. If I bought then I would have to make major changes, most structural, which will not make sense.

The reason I asked this question is that I see a trend where some members are being derided for trying to do things a certain way on their site. If I don't want a high standing tower on my site, it's my right and pleasure. We all have a need to fill, if not we can all be very comfortable in a tatched or mud hut. It will do the job of protecting us from the elements.

Now onto answering your question.

Yes, a residential house is indeed an investment, but only when built properly and with a purpose in mind.

Most real millionaires, not the fraudulent ones that abound all over the place in Nigeria made it mostly from real estate investment.

Thank you, Sir.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 21, 2018
KolaShangOne:

I know of volcanic ash as a partial replacement for cement and also rice husk ash.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 7:02pm On Mar 21, 2018
bixton:

A block coach was added mostly round with two at the back

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 7:05pm On Mar 21, 2018
diordaves:

A coach was added mostly then 1 and half block at the back before the dpc. The road is tarred and the level of the compd permits drainage. It's high enough for me.
Take a look below

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:28pm On Mar 21, 2018
Pro builders, is there a significant structural difference between what was posted above and this one where the German floor rested squarely on the beam?

Thanks.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:34pm On Mar 21, 2018
rabcnesbit:

So nah you be the Bigman wey dey block my view?

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:38pm On Mar 21, 2018
KolaShangOne:

Well said. But most times we classify an asset as something that generates income.
The value of the land appreciates but the value of the house somegow depreciates with use.
So, if I'm not planning to cash out on the house, Is a house you live in still an asset?

An Asset is something you own, it does not have to generate income.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 7:45pm On Mar 21, 2018
mufutau55:

So nah you be the Bigman wey dey block my view?

Hajji M.

If only I big like that, I be smallman ooh! cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:52pm On Mar 21, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Reasons why I'm building my own house.
1) Spiritual: For me, in Nigeria, I cannot buy a house to live in that I don't know what it was built on. I'll live it at that.

I have a friend who bought a house few years ago but not livable until now because of some evil spirit crying in the house in the middle of night everyday.
He is a notorious religious person... but no Imams and Pastors are able to get rid of the spirit o. I told him we have to get Babalawo involved now o, but he no gree yet.

Hajji M.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (905) (906) (907) (908) (909) (910) (911) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.