Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,039 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (911) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4389245 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (908) (909) (910) (911) (912) (913) (914) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:28pm On Mar 22, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Wa sere eyan mi.

EgunMogaji didn't create anything. I just cuddle up to using technology to solve issues. No need for elevated tanks (with its inherent safety risk and unsightfulness) or at least no one should just accept that the only way is elevated tanks. There are alternatives.
Lol all I know is nothing is impossible
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:51pm On Mar 22, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Wa sere eyan mi.

EgunMogaji didn't create anything. I just cuddle up to using technology to solve issues. No need for elevated tanks (with its inherent safety risk and unsightfulness) or at least no one should just accept that the only way is elevated tanks. There are alternatives.

No one said you created anything or the only way is water tower. There are always alternatives to building solutions.

In finding solution to a very functional home, it's good advise to always adopt best practice and best solution. For domestic (home) plumbing and water distribution, water tower is the best solution. It's safe, cheap and near maintenance free.

Now, the discussion is why wouldn't anyone adopt the best solution and settle for an inferior and more expensive system instead? If the reason is mental health like batophobia (the fear of tall objects or tall objects falling down), then the reason is well founded but if it's just for aesthetics reasons, this can be rightfully debated.

The truth is, it's the homeowner's money, the debate is academic.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:06pm On Mar 22, 2018
diordaves:

No one said you created anything or the only way is water tower. There are always alternatives to building solutions.

In finding solution to a very functional home, it's good advise to always adopt best practice and best solution. For domestic (home) plumbing and water distribution, water tower is the best solution. It's safe, cheap and near maintenance free.

Now, the discussion is why wouldn't anyone adopt the best solution and settle for an inferior and more expensive system instead? If the reason is mental health like batophobia (the fear of tall objects or tall objects falling down), then the reason is well founded but if it's just for aesthetics reasons, this can be rightfully debated.

The reason for the debate is bolded.

I have my opinion and you have yours.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:12pm On Mar 22, 2018
Here's the volume as it's coming out of my tap on a nonelevated tank. This is sufficient for me except for the shower head.

There are low cost and on-demand pumps for individual faucets that will satisfy the shower head need if I decide to.

Affordable technological solutions are out there.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 6:22pm On Mar 22, 2018
rabcnesbit:

I beg to differ again sir. A house will appreciate, just simple economics! Will you be able build a house today for the same amount you built it 10 years ago, or will you be able to build a house in 10 years time for the same amount you build it for today!

/
It is called inflation.

A bag of cement is N2600 while ten years ago it was N800.

So 100 bags of cement would have been N80k while it will cost you N260k today.

That's all. Think about the purchasing power instead of numerical value.
\

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 6:28pm On Mar 22, 2018
EgunMogaji:
Here's the volume as it's coming out of my tap on a nonelevated tank. This is sufficient for me except for the shower head.

There are low cost and on-demand pumps for individual faucets that will satisfy the shower head need if I decide to.

Affordable technological solutions are out there.

Affordable? Yes.

Running and maintenance cost?

Anything designed for Nigeria that is dependent on constant supply of electricity will be a very big headache.
\

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:55pm On Mar 22, 2018
InvertedHammer:

Affordable? Yes.

Running and maintenance cost?

Anything designed for Nigeria that is dependent on constant supply of electricity will be a very big headache.
\

We are blessed with an unlimited supply of energy in Nigeria. Something that some other countries or at least parts of them would die for.

Running cost of solar is zero Naira once it's set up and properly. Maintenance is only batteries. Prices for batteries continue to come down.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhnGf9YGnXbbDwPWBUrLNQ

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jadell: 7:08pm On Mar 22, 2018
Pls house, what's the process for getting a building plan approved in Ogun state.?
2. Can you get approval retrospectively for a building that's almost completed.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 8:29pm On Mar 22, 2018
EgunMogaji:

We are blessed with an unlimited supply of energy in Nigeria. Something that some other countries or at least parts of them would die for.

Running cost of solar is zero Naira once it's set up and properly. Maintenance is only batteries. Prices for batteries continue to come down.

In other words, you believe that the Nigerian brains were designed by an apprentice to the angels. As far as I am concerned, there is no freaking way the brains were designed by the same God that created others.

/
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 9:09pm On Mar 22, 2018
jadell:
Pls house, what's the process for getting a building plan approved in Ogun state.?
2. Can you get approval retrospectively for a building that's almost completed.
Yes you can.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by iammarvellux(m): 12:15am On Mar 23, 2018
Good day all,

A BIG THANK U TO ALL WHO TOOK OUT TIME
TO COME WITH US LAST SATURDAY FOR SITE
INSPECTION

How many of us here will be joining us for land
inspection this Saturday 24th OF March 2018
TIME : 7am (DEPARTURE)
VENUE : Sales Craft Ltd
BY Immigration Office House 1A, 3rd Avenue
Festac Town Lagos state

NOTE: IF YOU CAN NOT MAKE IT TO OUR HEAD
OFFICE THAT EARLY MORNING OF SATURDAY,
PLS TELL US WHERE WE CAN PICK YOU UP
FROM WITHIN LAGOS STATE, CALL ME NOW ON

Here are d details,
((1)). For Ibeju lekki ocean view, lekki palace
premium Estate and LEKKI palace Estate PHASE
2 its inspection form IS N2500.

((2)). Our land inspection form for d Eastern land,
APOSTLE LANDLORD VILLA ESTATE, awka,
APOSTLE LANDLORD VILLA ESTATE OWERRI
and GOODLIFE ESTATE AZAGBA OGWASHI IS
only N5000.

((3)).Our form for properity GARDEN ESTATE
PHASE 2 ATAN-OTA and PRECIOUS PEACE
ESTATE PHASE 2 IMOTA IS only N2000.

DON'T MISS THIS GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY, to
buy our land and for land inspection.

Call ME on 08038781738 so i can book u before
Saturday. ALSO you have an opportunity of buying our affordable ARMOURED TURKEY DOORS AND d exotic land and get your Easter bag of rice, groundnut oil, chicken and refridgerator.

DON'T MISS IT, start CALLING NOW 08038781738 and whatsapp.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 12:55am On Mar 23, 2018
KolaShangOne:

Well said. But most times we classify an asset as something that generates income. The value of the land appreciates but the value of the house somegow depreciates with use.

So, if I'm not planning to cash out on the house, Is a house you live in still an asset?

It is wrong to look at "Asset" in terms of something that BRINGS-IN money.
The corrolary is also True - Whatever SAVES-YOU money is an asset as well.

Consider how much you would have phucked-out as RENT, if you did not have that house!
All that "saved" amount, is the asset.

So, if it "generates" income, or "save" you Expenses, then it is still an asset.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:06am On Mar 23, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 4:27am On Mar 23, 2018
Chekitaut:
Pollen grains grow on any type of soll, sunlight & rain promote photosynthesis.

Roofing sheet weed grow on it. No properly done to weed only when concrete seal soil surface.
God bless you Oga mi.
Even on roof, weed will grow.
If you park your car in a single place long enough without touching it... Weed will grow on it.
This therefore brings us to the question on how to prevent weed from growing on interlocked tiles in our premises.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Gaxx01(m): 6:11am On Mar 23, 2018
Please can someone assist me with a place to rent at Ikeja, single room for 6 months? Just for the period of my training?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 6:11am On Mar 23, 2018
galax1:
https://www.nairaland.com/4411282/why-electrical-power-fencing

WHY ELECTRIC FENCING?

The need for higher levels of security to deter intruders is growing worldwide. Whereas in the past a
security fence was merely a passive physical barrier, the reality of today's world prescribes the use of
an active intrusion detection system that reacts to any intrusion attempts, preventing or delaying
intruder access and one that is not reliant on human surveillance.
Electric fencing is a modern and intelligent fence security system which is fast replacing the traditional concertina wires. It is installed on the top of an existing perimeter fence or as a standalone fence. It is an excellent deterrent designed to keep intruders away from your premises. How does Electric fencing work? Electric fencing consists of high tensile wires placed at 95mm apart installed around the perimeter fence. In operation, high voltage pulses; 10,000 DC Voltage are sent down the wire every second, while intruders are dealt with a sharp and painful electric shock. The shocks are incapacitating, therefore stopping the intruder from touching or climbing the fence. Any attempt to cut, short-circuit or tamper with the system is detected and alarms are generated.
A criminal cannot place rubber mat or blanket on it and climb over without being detected. The fence will raise an instant alarm if contact is sensed at the springs or if any one is shocked for more than 2 seconds. Concertina offers no such intelligence. Intruder can easily place a blanket and roll over.
It would be difficult to cut the live wires without being shocked and if this did happen, the fence system would raise an alarm to report the breach. Concertina wires are easily cut and pulled apart without detection.
Electric fencing will easily interface with any standard security equipment and can
therefore be monitored by a rapid response company. Concertina wires, even when electrified cannot provide such benefits.
The system keeps on working even when there is a power failure. The control panel comes with rechargeable back up batteries that lasts for over 48 hours without power. An electrified concertina wire becomes ineffective as soon as there is power failure.
ADVANTAGES OF AN ELECTRIC FENCE
• Easy installation on existing wall or fence, or as a stand-alone perimeter fence.
• Provides a physical barrier those delays the intrusion time.
• Provides an electric shock to intruders.
• Acts as a psychological barrier to deter intrusion attempts.
• Provides a higher level of detection capability to detect an intrusion attempt and set off the alarm which is then transmitted to the security personnel or company monitoring the site.
• Low maintenance costs.
• Easy to operate.
• Animals receive an electric shock and are deterred without activating the alarm. The animal learns not to come into contact with the fence
• Accidental human contact with the fence will provide an electric shock that will teach the person (who is not an intruder) not to tamper with the fence.
• The electric wires serve as a perimeter fence, alleviating the need to erect another conventional fence.
• Reduced cost of security personnel .

What about the disadvantages?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:27am On Mar 23, 2018
alstacs:

God bless you Oga mi.
Even on roof, weed will grow.
If you park your car in a single place long enough without touching it... Weed will grow on it.
This therefore brings us to the question on how to prevent weed from growing on interlocked tiles in our premises.

Some times I wonder how we corroborate stories.
There are lots of cars parked in mechanic shops/broken down automobiles along the road,etc,etc, all left for and abandoned/forgotten by the owners and yet I keep wondering how did I miss not seeing weed grow on them...........

Generalisation is not ideal.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:09am On Mar 23, 2018
alstacs:

What about the disadvantages?
death or injury
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 8:28am On Mar 23, 2018
EgunMogaji:

errrrm, bro..prices of batteries are going up in nigeria, 12v 200ah deep cycle battery was 50k before...now its 110k to 130k.
prices may be coming down internationally...but cos of the stupid exchange rate, its still super expensive. the cost for a decent solar setup for a small 3br home in naija would gulp about 1.5m to 2.5m depending on the load/wants

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 8:50am On Mar 23, 2018
EgunMogaji:

What’s a BRC?

I’m satisfied with what we did but time will tell.
aka Wire mesh
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 9:34am On Mar 23, 2018
diordaves:

This is nothing but the truth, when I see a good submission, I smell the aroma from space, I enjoy reading your post on here, that of InvertedHammer, Daboomb, spyder880, Abdulwastecx and few others on here, once you see a common sense post that even a vegetable seller can relate with anywhere in the world, l acknowledge and give it a standing ovation cool

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 9:35am On Mar 23, 2018
earthrealm:

errrrm, bro..prices of batteries are going up in nigeria, 12v 200ah deep cycle battery was 50k before...now its 110k to 130k.
prices may be coming down internationally...but cos of the stupid exchange rate, its still super expensive. the cost for a decent solar setup for a small 3br home in naija would gulp about 1.5m to 2.5m depending on the load/wants
Absolutely correct cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by galax1: 12:10pm On Mar 23, 2018
the disadvantages are non existent for now as compared the numerous advantages,
NOTE:I HAVE NEVER DONE ANY JOB THAT HAS FAILED SO U SHOULD UNDERSTAND WHEN I SAY D DISADVANTAGES ARE NON EXISTENT.ALSO KNOW THAT NOT EVERY ONE WHO CLAIMS TO INSTALL ELECTRIC FENCING DO IT PROPERLY,BECAUSE SOME JUST MAKE SURE THERE IS ONLY VOLTAGE ON IT BUT WHEN U CUT THE WIRE D ALARM WONT BUZZ.IT IS WRONG ,BECAUSE ONCE ANY PART OF THE FENCE IS TAMPERED WITH THE ALARM IS SUPPOSE TO BUZZ.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 12:27pm On Mar 23, 2018
galax1:
NOTE:I HAVE NEVER DONE ANY JOB THAT HAS FAILED SO U SHOULD UNDERSTAND WHEN I SAY D DISADVANTAGES ARE NON EXISTENT.ALSO KNOW THAT NOT EVERY ONE WHO CLAIMS TO INSTALL ELECTRIC FENCING DO IT PROPERLY,BECAUSE SOME JUST MAKE SURE THERE IS ONLY VOLTAGE ON IT BUT WHEN U CUT THE WIRE D ALARM WONT BUZZ.IT IS WRONG ,BECAUSE ONCE ANY PART OF THE FENCE IS TAMPERED WITH THE ALARM IS SUPPOSE TO BUZZ.
Some Criminals all over the world are now technology and computer compliant, electric fence is a piece of cake to dare Devil robbers, Some Nigerian banks have security personnel and armored tanks guarding them and that is where most daredevil robbers choose to strike, and they succeed sometimes, except you are not a prime target, if you like construct your electric fence connected to a high voltage, if bad boys mean to get you, they will blow up your fence with grenade, encircle your home and smoke you out like a small chicken, robbers this days go with equipment to counter all the Berlin Wall you think will act as layers of Defence, oh well, what do I know, to each is own

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:08pm On Mar 23, 2018
akinolaolujide:

aka Wire mesh

Okay.

Yeah I don’t need it for this specific area but will use it in the immediate entrance area.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:16pm On Mar 23, 2018
earthrealm:

I tend to look at things a little differently.

I’m all for solar power, it’s cheap in the long term.

But to each his own. I encourage everyone to research and do what’s in their best interest on their site.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:16pm On Mar 23, 2018
galax1:

There are many disadvantages.

Personally I think it’s criminal to erect this within 25 to 50 feet of a setback and especially as a first line of defense.

But na Naija we dey, anything goes.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by galax1: 2:42pm On Mar 23, 2018
EgunMogaji:

There are many disadvantages.

Personally I think it’s criminal to erect this within 25 to 50 feet of a setback and especially as a first line of defense.

But na Naija we dey, anything goes.

what u just said dosent really speaks volume maybe u can educate us properly
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 23, 2018
galax1:

what u just said dosent really speaks volume maybe u can educate us properly

It’s okay.

Have a nice day.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by galax1: 2:48pm On Mar 23, 2018
AngelicBeing:
Some Criminals all over the world are now technology and computer compliant, electric fence is a piece of cake to dare Devil robbers, Some Nigerian banks have security personnel and armored tanks guarding them and that is where most daredevil robbers choose to strike, and they succeed sometimes, except you are not a prime target, if you like construct your electric fence connected to a high voltage, if bad boys mean to get you, they will blow up your fence with grenade, encircle your home and smoke you out like a small chicken, robbers this days go with equipment to counter all the Berlin Wall you think will act as layers of Defence, oh well, what do I know, to each is own

that is where u are getting it wrong there is no system that we humans cannot breach but d unique thing is u cant breach it without it alerting the person in the inside the house .

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (908) (909) (910) (911) (912) (913) (914) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: chimexdnice1(m), akeme1 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.