Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4370254 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:06pm On Aug 31, 2015
spyder880:

Is this in Nigeria already? I will like to lay my hands on one as soon as yesterday. How about the one that can work on hollow blocks?

Do you know that this is very simple to make? I will take my welder to task this weekend, let me make some sketches this night.
Right I have asked extensively there aint non for hollow block yet, but inasmuch as you get the idea of what you want,I think you welder can fabricate something, I will get back with drawings,lets see if we can work something out as thats my area of speciality.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:16pm On Aug 31, 2015
mufutau55:

Is there one like this equipment for hollow blocks? Please search and post.
If you can post the link to obtain them, that will be dandy too. Thanks.

Hajji M.
the 215mm might do the job

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:22pm On Aug 31, 2015
erico2k2:

Yeah. I think so. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by princechigzy(m): 3:22pm On Aug 31, 2015
Slaw12:
A nice thread...
How much can build and complete a four bedroom bungalow with all room ensuit and with a normal and moderate finishing on a dry land in ibadan...tganks

With NGN 4million, you have your 4 bedroom bungalow with modern facility in Ibadan. I can handle that, do you have a survey plan already?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by princechigzy(m): 3:29pm On Aug 31, 2015
meetmonde:
how big is 50/40 piece of land and what kind of structure can be developed on it and at what estimate cost please.. anyone with idea should help me out please.. thanks and God bless in advance

Though a small piece of land, A 3 bedroom all ensuite duplex, with the bedrooms upstairs and the sitting room/dining room and kitchen down stairs.
I am currently working on one now and its sitting on exactly the land size.

If you are ready and would want to develop that property of yours, Hola at me 08039154723, kdistructures@gmail.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 3:32pm On Aug 31, 2015
erico2k2:

Nice one! I've seen this before.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by princechigzy(m): 3:37pm On Aug 31, 2015
abdulwastecx:

I am not really in support of using wood extensively because of deforestation effect of extensive use of timber.

I think we need to start looking at bamboo the wonder grass, which can be processed into different product such as wall panels, flooring materials, roof truss, wall partitioning stud. etc.

The technology available in other third world nation like Colombia and China can be put to use extensively in this regard.

Bamboo grow rapidly in Nigeria, such material will make building construction cheaper and affordable for majority of Nigerians.

My Engineer, your idea on this is simply mind blowing. I have never thought in this regard before, making sense deeply.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:45pm On Aug 31, 2015
I have been thinking, is there any structural benefit of Hollow block to solid blocks and vise versa angry angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 4:47pm On Aug 31, 2015
erico2k2:

I will like to get your contacts... I will love to know i we can get some of these affordable tools.
This list will be of help
1. theodolite for leveling
2. concrete smoother like the one you display above
3. simple block making machine etc.

i will like to see their price sir... Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 4:52pm On Aug 31, 2015
erico2k2:
I have been thinking, is there any structural benefit of Hollow block to solid blocks and vise versa angry angry

Hollow block is economical when you consider that the hollow one and solid one has same section properties like area, moment of initial etc.
having a solid block of 9" (225mm) thick will not be that structural stable
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 4:56pm On Aug 31, 2015
check out these bamboo structures

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nabiz(m): 4:58pm On Aug 31, 2015
erico2k2:

where do you get ur cast from? I mean teh dial you use to print those design on the wet concrete?
they where all imported though you can get them in nigeria here but very expensive. It is called stamp and come in different designs and patterns
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:03pm On Aug 31, 2015
abdulwastecx:

I will like to get your contacts... I will love to know i we can get some of these affordable tools.

No probs, these things are all here, you just need a reliable shipper from the Uk
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:04pm On Aug 31, 2015
nabiz:
they where all imported though you can get them in nigeria here but very expensive. It is called stamp and come in different designs and patterns
Ok we have them here in the UK, I was just wondering if its same thing I was thinking about
looks anything like these?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:06pm On Aug 31, 2015
abdulwastecx:

Hollow block is economical when you consider that the hollow one and solid one has same section properties like area, moment of initial etc.
having a solid block of 9" (225mm) thick will not be that structural stable
hmmm angry but if I was a demolition Engineer trained to use plastic xplossives to bring down a building, i recon the hollow block will be structurally easy for me to bring down than the solid block of same dimension, don't you agree
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 5:10pm On Aug 31, 2015
Abdulwastecx or any other, do u consider the level of sound from one room to another when using blocks? or is there a calculation for dat?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:11pm On Aug 31, 2015
erico2k2:

hmmm angry but if I was a demolition Engineer trained to use plastic xplossives to bring down a building, i recon the hollow block will be structurally easy for me to bring down than the solid block of same dimension, don't you agree

the problem is that you will need to reinforced a 225mm x 225mm x 450mm sancrete block made purely with our mix combo....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:13pm On Aug 31, 2015
Miscellaneous:
Abdulwastecx or any other, do u consider the level of sound from one room to another when using blocks? or is there a calculation for dat?

I think some partitions wall are built with sound insulators

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:13pm On Aug 31, 2015
abdulwastecx:

the problem is that you will need to reinforced a 225mm x 225mm x 450mm sancrete block made purely by with our mix combo....
No i meant which would be easier to demolish ie brake down.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:14pm On Aug 31, 2015
erico2k2:

I think the major advantage of solid block to hollow block is bullet proof nature of solid blocks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:15pm On Aug 31, 2015
erico2k2:

No i meant which would be easier to demolish ie brake down.

you can never tell until such test is carried out
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:20pm On Aug 31, 2015
abdulwastecx:

you can never tell until such test is carried out
Hmm I think I can prove to you solid blocks bears more weight than hollow blocks on all sides grin, so therefore I think the only structural advantage of hollow block is its weight. Dont you agree?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 5:23pm On Aug 31, 2015
abdulwastecx:

I think people over rate the word ' professional ' here a lot. before you build a house you have an architect that will design the house base on client taste, requirement and general building codes. The level of involvement of others like civil engineer ( for structural work) mechanical engineers ( plumbing, cooling device and heating system) electrical engineers ( wiring and lighting devices ) depend on the complexity of the work and design.

I have seen so many poorly done job on nairaland and off nairaland and the first thing that comes to mind is the little attention generally paid to structural work. most people build high end building of several floors ( 2- storey and above ) without something as basic as soil test which cost so much less compare to the cost of the finished building.

Building a bungalow is not rocket science and the owner ( where the money is coming from) can decide to be the general contractor , job progress will be down to proper communication and understanding between building owner and all others professionals involved

I'm in disarray considering ur last few words. Is it possible for someone with no knowledge of structures to be a general contractor for a project? isn't he suppose to be knowledgeable in dat field? Perhaps, I'm wrong ………… pls put me in the light of things …… or maybe u shud give me the idea of who a contractor is……
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:25pm On Aug 31, 2015
Miscellaneous:

I'm in disarray considering ur last few words. Is it possible for someone with no knowledge of structures to be a general contractor for a project? isn't he suppose to be knowledgeable in dat field? Perhaps, I'm wrong ………… pls put me in the light of things …… or maybe u shud give me the idea of who a contractor is……
A contractor is like a project manger

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:55pm On Aug 31, 2015
erico2k2:

Hmm I think I can prove to you solid blocks bears more weight than hollow blocks on all sides grin, so therefore I think the only structural advantage of hollow block is its weight. Dont you agree?

You are right about the weight of solid block.... weight may not of structural advantage when you are building higher floor building because of tendency to constitute more dead load to the structure.

i like to do away with heavy partitions on my beam because it will automatically increase the design load there by increasing the concrete section and reinforcement of the structures. For example, a simply supported beam carrying a uniformly distributed wall load will have, M (design moment) = w ( weight) x l2 ( square of effective length)/8. The weight is a function of dead load (self weight of beam and weight of block wall on top of the beam) and life load ( the intended use of building, i.e its functionality)

you see sir.... heavy block is not really structurally advantageous

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:00pm On Aug 31, 2015
Miscellaneous:

Project manager (aka general contractor can be a quantity surveyor with experience in structures, building technology and architecture) his major work is to organize other professional involve in the construction of a building. Job size is a factor to the choice of the general contractors. A simple bungalow don't really need serious job planning and organization, hence the owner if around can be the general contractor

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nabiz(m): 6:12pm On Aug 31, 2015
erico2k2:

Ok we have them here in the UK, I was just wondering if its same thing I was thinking about
looks anything like these?
that's very good sir, how I wish u can bring the here in nigeria especially color hardener. The demand is very high in nigeria here. Imagine a bag of color hardener is sold here in nigeria at the rate of 12k per 35kg. How I wish you can bring them here. By d way how much is the stamp especially the European fan the flower rock. I already have most of the stamps but just want to know the price for my friends in the same industrial trend?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 31, 2015
abdulwastecx:

http://www.harborfreight.com

Simply contact ChinoSXL (if he's still active), sign on to Harbor Freight and ship to Chinos Texas address and he will ship to Lagos for you and even offers door to door shipping inside Nigeria though associates.

My Oga, the days of needing hook ups are long gone, just be armed with your PayPal account that is now available in Nigeria, go to your favorite cybercafe or buy a MiFi at Smile.Com.NG and you can shop mostly worldwide and ship to Nigeria.

SMiFi Router Starter Pack One SMiFi router + one SIM + 5GB data 16,000 http://smile.com.ng/products-services/

Egun "Dirty Rotter" Mogaji grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 31, 2015
erico2k2:

A contractor is like a project manger

At least to us Londomericanas.

I'm sure in Nigeria they'll make it more complicated that it needs to be.

Over here you cannot be a General Contractor on a multi unit property or commercial property unless you're licensed.

So what do you do, you enlist on with a General Contractor who will charge you but will still oversee the project from time to time, just won't be onsite 24/7. But then we still have government oversight to make sure things are done properly.

The biggest issue I've been finding out is that almost ALL of our Nairaland builders are actually General Contractors (my opinion which will never falter), NONE of them lay bricks or swing hammers so it causes a concern for me in terms of budgeting since I too will be onsite Supervising.

Not saying it's wrong for the love of God as different strokes for different folks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:29pm On Aug 31, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Over here you cannot be a General Contractor on a multi unit property or commercial property unless you're licensed.

So what do you do, you enlist on with a General Contractor who will charge you but will still oversee the project from time to time, just won't be onsite 24/7. But then we still have government oversight to make sure things are done properly.

The biggest issue I've been finding out is that almost ALL of our Nairaland builders are actually General Contractors (my opinion which will never falter), NONE of them lay bricks or swing hammers so it causes a concern for me in terms of budgeting since I too will be onsite Supervising.

Not saying it's wrong for the love of God as different strokes for different folks.

Lol...Do you expect them to lay blocks, do formwork or plaster house?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:33pm On Aug 31, 2015
abdulwastecx:

Lol...Do you expect them to lay blocks, do formwork or plaster house?
ofcos not lol but at least if they know how it will be a pus grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:35pm On Aug 31, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Everybody is the main contractor,but I hope most of them are learning fast and adding sufistication to their job, cos thats the way 4ward and Im hoping they are ready to abrace mechanization too.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: OnMyHonor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.