Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,013 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:43 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (439) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4369355 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) (442) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 8:19pm On Jul 28, 2016
mufutau55:

I guess I have plenty to learn from the swampy area... never thought of those kind of wood.
Why we don't us those kind of wood for roofing?

Hajji M.
very xpenssive, and that bloody abura is such a small tree, you can only get 2x2 from them, if you know what Kola leave is, that's the tree that bears Kola leave, while Iron wood is so hard its carved into shape via axe, sawmill can't saw it, even back in the days of AT&P the refuse to mill it.
Abura was widely used as baton ie to hold ceilings. thats 1/2x2.Plus these woods are origin to the swamp in the Delta, no where else.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 8:29pm On Jul 28, 2016
agarawu23:
i know fit laff abeg grin

I can't stop asking myself why ppl will count their cash and buy land in a water logged /swampy areas, even if Obama dey live that area, e know concern me angry
In my case it was a family land,we have ownership of a vast expanse of swampy land

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 28, 2016
Some clarification.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 8:36pm On Jul 28, 2016
msogunro:

That's something I'm concerned about. How will I prevent that? Is there something that shows clearly the number of meters?

The big Indian rig drilling pole is 20ft each
Those local ones are 10ft long
You can know the drilled depth by monitoring the no of poles drilled into the ground

You can as well post the results of the survey
I can assist in translating it

But at the end what matters most is getting water optimally

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:42pm On Jul 28, 2016
erico2k2:

very xpenssive, and that bloody abura is such a small tree, you can only get 2x2 from them, if you know what Kola leave is, that's the tree that bears Kola leave, while Iron wood is so hard its carved into shape via axe, sawmill can't saw it, even back in the days of AT&P the refuse to mill it.
Abura was widely used as baton ie to hold ceilings. thats 1/2x2.Plus these woods are origin to the swamp in the Delta, no where else.

Yeah. Kolanut tree.. I just told my brother to remove one from my site last month, was getting too big.. gave them tough time.
What a tree... the saw killer.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 8:52pm On Jul 28, 2016
mufutau55:

Yeah. Kolanut tree.. I just told my brother to remove one from my site last month, was getting too big.. gave them tough time.
What a tree... the saw killer.

Hajji M.
Nop not Kolanut tree, Kola leaf tree, there is a particular leaf used in wrapping kola nut for sale,if you come down south its being loaded into trailers by the northerners from the
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:56pm On Jul 28, 2016
erico2k2:

Nop not Kolanut tree, Kola leaf tree, there is a particular leaf used in wrapping kola nut for sale,if you come down south its being loaded into trailers by the northerners from the

Oh. Ok. Don't know that one o...

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 9:03pm On Jul 28, 2016
msogunro:

That's something I'm concerned about. How will I prevent that? Is there something that shows clearly the number of meters?

Well.. Nothing shows it. Even the geo test can be edited.

*whispers* You can count the number of pipes sunk in. Since you know the length of a pipe, do the math lipsrsealed wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by msogunro: 9:06pm On Jul 28, 2016
kolnel:

The big Indian rig drilling pole is 20ft each
Those local ones are 10ft long
You can know the drilled depth by monitoring the no of poles drilled into the ground

You can as well post the results of the survey
I can assist in translating it

But at the end what matters most is getting water optimally

Excellent. Thank you!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by msogunro: 9:10pm On Jul 28, 2016
KolaShangOne:

*whispers* You can count the number of pipes sunk in. Since you know the length of a pipe, do the math lipsrsealed wink

Yep. I know now.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jul 28, 2016
KolaShangOne:

What's your recommendation, that one company does survey or drilling or separate entities?

Thanks.

Do they mix pipes at all onsite or it's all 10's or all 20's?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 9:38pm On Jul 28, 2016
Please try to find a proper builder.

Maryam:

Good day All,

my question will be to the expert in the house. A raft foundation was made for the my building project, while the next phase is to do the filling of the foundation . But my Builder recommend we can do without the filling by just doing the DPC suspended which will leave space between the DPC and the earth below. He actually suggested this idea considering my budget, trying to save me cost for the filling and also confirmed he has done same for a construction he did in the same estate.

Despite my lean budget, am skeptical about the idea hence why a seeking advice from the professionals here too

Note that the structure is a 4 bedroom duplex
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WeldHome: 9:55pm On Jul 28, 2016
erico2k2:

Stay away from swamp . If you are planning to build in one but if you are just trying to increase knowledge fire down.
I had my fingers burnt . I'm still watching my N3 m plus foundation trying to stabilize grin.

LoL! For knowledge sake sir. Not building or planning to build anytime soon... cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:04pm On Jul 28, 2016
msogunro:

From experience, regardless of who the rigger is:

1. I will pay only 30% of agreed total and balance on completion. Completion means after 6 hours non-stop pumping of water from the well.

2. I'll do my survey independently with a reputable lab that the driller also approve. Ibadan has lot of labs considering the institutions around. They'll give accurate datas. Most geophysical surveys are copy and paste. #fact. If in doubt, show us the process here and the lab name.

3. I'll do my negotiation based on the agreed depth. Buy the materials required, ask for the number of days required for the job, hire the equipment (I'm sure an operator will follow the equipment) and pay the driller per day.

That way if anything goes wrong (which is always the case) after drilling to recommended depth, the lab will bear the consequence of providing inaccurate data.

The most important equipment for the job is the air compressor. I'll look for the best around and not the old ones (that's what most riggers like to use). In Ibadan dialect, "Engine to ba wa l'owo mu n'iyen"

You may need to ask your driller the following question:

- What happens if we hit stone? Because you'll always hit stone when problem wants to start and most cases owner bears the extras.

- What happens if installation exceed the number of days given? Who bears the extra cost of the equipment?

If the driller agrees to 1 above, there's no need for all the other wahala. I'll just mobilize and come back to site when they're done.

________
To measure the depth is very easy, the rope used to drop the pumping machine is what you need to use. You'll definitely know when the rope is tight; mark it and measure the length.

The cost of doing borehole in some terrain requires more attention than what's required for the main building itself. If you miss it once, you might end up not having water on your site because of the initial cost outlay and the risks involved.

Many atimes, incorrect survey result messes up the whole job.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 10:16pm On Jul 28, 2016
No try am !
As many people have told you here, get professionals (real builders or the best bricklayer around if you cannot afford a civil engineer)
if you dont do the DPC well, you can start to have water ingress from the ground and that's bad. Also not filling the foundation could cause your building to have serious structural issues and potentially collapse.

Maryam:

Good day All,

my question will be to the expert in the house. A raft foundation was made for the my building project, while the next phase is to do the filling of the foundation . But my Builder recommend we can do without the filling by just doing the DPC suspended which will leave space between the DPC and the earth below. He actually suggested this idea considering my budget, trying to save me cost for the filling and also confirmed he has done same for a construction he did in the same estate.

Despite my lean budget, am skeptical about the idea hence why a seeking advice from the professionals here too

Note that the structure is a 4 bedroom duplex

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:18pm On Jul 28, 2016
Also, Watch out for scare tactics and Federal govt format

- we don dey hit sinkhole, water will soon disappear now grin grin We need to stop drilling. Ask them to continue until you reach the recommended depth even if it means drilling the earth into 2. grin

- we've gotten good water now, we need to flush. They'll pump as much water into the ground for the day of commissioning

- Buy 7 blade fan submersible pump for the commissioning. It pumps faster than single blade. Change to smaller pump after commissioning.

- Check pressure. This is borehole. Uninterruptible water supply should be 100% guaranteed. No one should tell me that my over half a million naira borehole is recharging when 60k borehole elsewhere is working unperturbed.

- what should enter into the ground is pipe, pump, rope and nothing more. There shouldn't be any valve attached. If there is, Ojoro (cheating) don enta be dat. The valve is installed there for a reason. Hmm!

There's a lot more. Just the few that came to mind.

I've done 3 boreholes on 3 different hilly sites. All infos shared here are first hand experience of what usually happens and where things do go wrong.

The info above is meant only for people building on hilly sites and areas where getting good water is a big issue. It's not meant for people living in Lekki and other riverine areas.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 10:23pm On Jul 28, 2016
n3xt:

Can you share this with me? I'm presently looking at doing HDMI over Cat6 for 18 TVs over 40m length.

Trying to change an AV multimedia system to HDMI for use with ProPresenter on my Mac system.

It doesn't have to be here to avoid derailing the thread. You can share links to such interesting setup if you have.
By the way, this can be integrated into smarthome network so I don't think you're derailing the thread if shared in details here.

Thanks.

Will try to get a picture when next I visit
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:24pm On Jul 28, 2016
44chux:

Will try to get a picture when next I visit

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by msogunro: 11:00pm On Jul 28, 2016
@n3xt

Wow! This is becoming a bit overwhelming. Overwhelming only because I'm not on ground to handle things myself. I'm not sure if my people will have the patience to monitor things the way I will want them to.

I may have to delay the borehole and just build the fence on 3 sides so my neighbors don't overstep their boundaries. When I return later this year, I'll deal with the borehole myself.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 11:06pm On Jul 28, 2016
n3xt:

From experience, regardless of who the rigger is:

1. I will pay only 30% of agreed total and balance on completion. Completion means after 6 hours non-stop pumping of water from the well.

2. I'll do my survey independently with a reputable lab that the driller also approve. Ibadan has lot of labs considering the institutions around. They'll give accurate datas. Most geophysical surveys are copy and paste. #fact. If in doubt, show us the process here and the lab name.

3. I'll do my negotiation based on the agreed depth. Buy the materials required, ask for the number of days required for the job, hire the equipment (I'm sure an operator will follow the equipment) and pay the driller per day.

That way if anything goes wrong (which is always the case) after drilling to recommended depth, the lab will bear the consequence of providing inaccurate data.

The most important equipment for the job is the air compressor. I'll look for the best around and not the old ones (that's what most riggers like to use). In Ibadan dialect, "Engine to ba wa l'owo mu n'iyen"

You may need to ask your driller the following question:

- What happens if we hit stone? Because you'll always hit stone when problem wants to start and most cases owner bears the extras.

- What happens if installation exceed the number of days given? Who bears the extra cost of the equipment?

If the driller agrees to 1 above, there's no need for all the other wahala. I'll just mobilize and come back to site when they're done.

________
To measure the depth is very easy, the rope used to drop the pumping machine is what you need to use. You'll definitely know when the rope is tight; mark it and measure the length.

The cost of doing borehole in some terrain requires more attention than what's required for the main building itself. If you miss it once, you might end up not having water on your site because of the initial cost outlay and the risks involved.

Many atimes, incorrect survey result messes up the whole job.

Sorry to say this
You are just a jack of all trade
Master of none obviously

Sinking a borehole is not abc as you analysed above

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ckenneths(m): 11:11pm On Jul 28, 2016
A chilling construction story to ease you into the weekend.

https://www.nairaland.com/3255525/those-4-beautiful-bold-pillars#up

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 11:17pm On Jul 28, 2016
msogunro:
@n3xt

Wow! This is becoming a bit overwhelming. Overwhelming only because I'm not on ground to handle things myself. I'm not sure if my people will have the patience to monitor things the way I will want them to.

I may have to delay the borehole and just build the fence on 3 sides so my neighbors don't overstep their boundaries. When I return later this year, I'll dea
l with the borehole myself.

The fact is the depth of aquifers differ from sites to sites
Volume of water also varies from low yield to max yield
Some sites have obviously low yield as a result of the formation

Once the survey result is out
You can take it from there

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 11:25pm On Jul 28, 2016
kolnel:

Sorry to say this
Master of none obviously

He was just trying to help.

Infact his comment was more helpful and soothing than yours.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 11:43pm On Jul 28, 2016
ckenneths:
A chilling construction story to ease you into the weekend.

https://www.nairaland.com/3255525/those-4-beautiful-bold-pillars#up
Oh sweet Jesus. Please tell me this isn't true.
Did this really happen at your site??
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fash78(m): 2:49am On Jul 29, 2016
mufutau55:

Thanks Allcopacetic, of course now I do know a reliable distributor now.. truly I did not know you deal in electrical cables too.
Now I know where to turn... I actually spoke with and communicate with Taiwo Ikusemoran. And unfortunately when I told them my
quantity, I did not get any more discounts. I shall be in touch with you for better prices and pickup original at their factory.

So far my quantity is below:

1.5mm = 25
2.5mm = 15
4mm = 7
6mm = 3
10mm = 5
Coaxial Cable (for TV) = 10 (But I can pickup this anywhere with low price, does not have to be Coleman or Nigerchin)

Thanks...

Hajji M.

Bros Allcopacetic sells cables o. I bought all my cables from him at a reasonable price. At least from the little I know about him he no fit sell fake and if there is any issue related to the cable later I know where to run to for complaints
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:18am On Jul 29, 2016
fash78:

Bros Allcopacetic sells cables o. I bought all my cables from him at a reasonable price. At least from the little I know about him he no fit sell fake and if there is any issue related to the cable later I know where to run to for complaints

Uncle Fash, I surely beleive you about non-fake.
But never knew he sell cables until recently.
I can surely trust him if I go with Coleman. Thanks.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:55am On Jul 29, 2016
kolnel:

Sorry to say this
Master of none obviously

**smiles**

No comment.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:08am On Jul 29, 2016
44chux:

He was just trying to help.

Infact his comment was more helpful and soothing than yours.

Haba! I was just trying to find good use for my unlimited data plan.

Do I rig or do boreholes? No!

But experience as they say is the best teacher in life. Maybe by luck or twist of fate, I found myself in position of authority to talk on most subjects here.

This is coming from a man (Brabus) who has worked with a federal govt board whose statutory function includes construction, operation and maintainance of dams, dykes, polders, wells, boreholes, irrigation and drainage systems in Nigeria; that drills over 800 solar powered boreholes a year in south west Nigeria communities and communicate directly with the Directors and not the locals.

What else does Jack need to know about borehole and dams?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 4:15am On Jul 29, 2016
Good analysis from you Mr brabus ,that is just the way which I knew also, but nobody has a monopoly of wisdom as they says, so oga kolnel give us your own way sir

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 4:54am On Jul 29, 2016
kolnel:

The fact is the depth of aquifers differ from sites to sites
Volume of water also varies from low yield to max yield
Some sites have obviously low yield as a result of the formation

Once the survey result is out
You can take it from there
Absolutely!

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:19am On Jul 29, 2016
msogunro:
@n3xt

I may have to delay the borehole and just build the fence on 3 sides so my neighbors don't overstep their boundaries. When I return later this year, I'll deal with the borehole myself.

Interesting links for further reading on Boreholes in Nigeria.

Borehole Drillers Association of Nigeria website
http://bodan.com.ng

Code of Practice for water well construction
http://bodan.com.ng/images/downloads/code%20-of-practice-for-borehole-drilling.pdf
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:25am On Jul 29, 2016
Why Boreholes Fail? by AWDROP

The Association of Water well Drilling Rig Owners and Practitioners (Borehole Drillers Association) consists of companies and individuals engaged in well construction, test pumping, maintenance and rehabilitation.

http://awdrop.org/uploads/3/4/4/7/34476634/why_borehole_drilling__construction_projects_fail_-_nwri.pdf

(1) (2) (3) ... (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) (442) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: truthbetold22, jeffkennedy, Ojoboak(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.