Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,527 members, 7,826,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos (2410 Views)

A Man's Tweet Addressed To Prof Osinbanjo On Governance Goes Viral (screenshot) / Israeli Rabbis Lunch War On Christmas Tree,new Year Party / Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by Nobody: 8:37pm On Aug 25, 2015
Another Operation Solomon?

Now, for some of the fascinating things I have learned since starting the program, under the stewardship of so many great teachers.

For many years I have found myself playing the role of strategist and spokesman for the Igbos who are returning or reverting to Judaism, which the Igbos associate with our traditional culture “ome na ana”, which is pronounced Omenana.

For many years a dialogue has been going on between the Igbo people and the Jewish people. Dr. Daniel Lis discovered letters written nearly or over two hundred years ago by European Jewish rabbis addressed to the Igbos. Recently I came across information that is startling in a way: over one hundred and thirty years ago, a descendant of Igbos named Edward Wilmot Blyden had publicly supported the effort for the establishment of a Jewish homeland in the land of Israel.

Many Jews, such as Rabbi Howard Gorin, who was at one time a chief rabbi of a section of Igbo Jewry; Dr. Jack Zeller, who founded Kulanu Inc’; Daniel Limor, who works with Shavei Israel; Daniel Lis, who wrote a history of the Igbos; Rabbi Capers Funnye, Chief Rabbi of a section of Black Jews; Harriet Bograd, current president of Kulanu; Jeff Lieberman, who made a good film about Igbo-Jewry; Irene Orleansky, who recorded the synagogue music of the Igbo-Jews; and many too numerous to mention have participated in this ongoing dialogue. Some Igbos such as Distinguished Professor Eleazer Alaezi, anthropologist Moore Black Chi Mmadike and thousands more have participated in the talks.

This dialogue has reached some important quarters in Israel, such as the courts, offices of important religious and administrative officials where some important people acting very likely not with malevolent intentions, but relying on information that is not based on facts took decisions that have been hurtful to some of those participating in the dialogue and impeded progress.

There have been human ties too, ties that transcended synagogue-to-synagogue ties. Prior to the Biafran tragedy, Dr. Michael Okpara, the second most important Igbo political leader, described himself as ‘almost an Israelite’ and said that he would be going to Israel all the time. This was in an era when some non-Igbo Nigerians had laws that barred Israelis from visiting some Nigerian cities.

I would like to think that my visit and stay in America will provide opportunities for increase in the tempo of the dialogue, and will also provide grounds for the strengthening of the ties that have become frayed due to lack of nourishment, because American Jewry has a major voice in Jewish matters.

Some think that what is happening among the Igbos is a precursor to another Operation Solomon, and that my movement will oil the wheels. I say, yes, a rescue seems to be on the way, a rescue that may not involve boots on the ground, air-planes landing and taking off, but that may herald a sweeping spreading of Torah - but we’ll wait and see!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by dkronicle(m): 8:40pm On Aug 25, 2015
Hmm
Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by Greyworld: 8:59pm On Aug 25, 2015
who undastnds the op ?

7 Likes

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by BOBBYLET: 9:03pm On Aug 25, 2015
shallom!

1 Like

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 25, 2015
Greyworld:
who undastnds the op ?

You're not the only person wondering!!

9 Likes

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by Greyworld: 9:39pm On Aug 25, 2015
girly00zero:

You're not the only person wondering!!
see how he is bringing down 200 years old confusion on innocent nairalanders.

9 Likes

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by rolchi(m): 9:47pm On Aug 25, 2015
What is all this?

Abi na the current plunge in Stocks around the world dey cause all these mis-yarn?

2 Likes

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by Udmaster(m): 10:06pm On Aug 25, 2015
Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by Khd95(m): 10:18pm On Aug 25, 2015
If dis was a class I for don sleep bfr I reach second paragraph

So boring nd dry angry

1 Like

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by seunny4lif(m): 10:28pm On Aug 25, 2015
cool cool
Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by Ilekeh(f): 10:28pm On Aug 25, 2015
Lmao grin

1 Like

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by abumeinben(m): 10:45pm On Aug 25, 2015
willow0802:

Now, for some of the fascinating things I have learned since starting the program, under the stewardship of so many great teachers.

For many years I have found myself playing the role of strategist and spokesman for the Igbos who are returning or reverting to Judaism, which the Igbos associate with our traditional culture “ome na ana”, which is pronounced Omenana.

For many years a dialogue has been going on between the Igbo people and the Jewish people. Dr. Daniel Lis discovered letters written nearly or over two hundred years ago by European Jewish rabbis addressed to the Igbos. Recently I came across information that is startling in a way: over one hundred and thirty years ago, a descendant of Igbos named Edward Wilmot Blyden had publicly supported the effort for the establishment of a Jewish homeland in the land of Israel.

Many Jews, such as Rabbi Howard Gorin, who was at one time a chief rabbi of a section of Igbo Jewry; Dr. Jack Zeller, who founded Kulanu Inc’; Daniel Limor, who works with Shavei Israel; Daniel Lis, who wrote a history of the Igbos; Rabbi Capers Funnye, Chief Rabbi of a section of Black Jews; Harriet Bograd, current president of Kulanu; Jeff Lieberman, who made a good film about Igbo-Jewry; Irene Orleansky, who recorded the synagogue music of the Igbo-Jews; and many too numerous to mention have participated in this ongoing dialogue. Some Igbos such as Distinguished Professor Eleazer Alaezi, anthropologist Moore Black Chi Mmadike and thousands more have participated in the talks.

This dialogue has reached some important quarters in Israel, such as the courts, offices of important religious and administrative officials where some important people acting very likely not with malevolent intentions, but relying on information that is not based on facts took decisions that have been hurtful to some of those participating in the dialogue and impeded progress.

There have been human ties too, ties that transcended synagogue-to-synagogue ties. Prior to the Biafran tragedy, Dr. Michael Okpara, the second most important Igbo political leader, described himself as ‘almost an Israelite’ and said that he would be going to Israel all the time. This was in an era when some non-Igbo Nigerians had laws that barred Israelis from visiting some Nigerian cities.

I would like to think that my visit and stay in America will provide opportunities for increase in the tempo of the dialogue, and will also provide grounds for the strengthening of the ties that have become frayed due to lack of nourishment, because American Jewry has a major voice in Jewish matters.

Some think that what is happening among the Igbos is a precursor to another Operation Solomon, and that my movement will oil the wheels. I say, yes, a rescue seems to be on the way, a rescue that may not involve boots on the ground, air-planes landing and taking off, but that may herald a sweeping spreading of Torah - but we’ll wait and see!

Sincerely, dyu really understand what ya posted? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by dominique(f): 11:06pm On Aug 25, 2015
grin grin grin

Pictures of the 200 year old letters or... cool

1 Like

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by citizenY(m): 11:41pm On Aug 25, 2015
Greyworld:
who undastnds the op ?

I do. In summary he is saying that a frog just jumped into a boiling kettle... everything hit and bubbling...my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by citizenY(m): 11:42pm On Aug 25, 2015
Greyworld:
who undastnds the op ?

I do. In summary he is saying that a frog just jumped into a boiling kettle... everything hot, steamy and bubbling...my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by citizenY(m): 11:42pm On Aug 25, 2015
Greyworld:
who undastnds the op ?

I do. In summary he is saying that a frog just jumped into a boiling kettle... everything hot, steamy and bubbling...my opinion.
Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by Asiwaju9ja(m): 6:09am On Aug 26, 2015
Khd95:
If dis was a class I for don sleep bfr I reach second paragraph

So boring nd dry angry

If u see d way I speed read this yeye article ehn, I just dey jumpy jumpy till d end.

Anyways the ibos have been trying to claim Jewish heritage. The isreali Govt actually sent a study group several times to study the igbos' claim of jewishness. All studies proved nothing. The isreali did the same thing to the Ethiopean Jews and found that they were indeed Jews of the descendants of the union between Solo(king Solomon the wise) and Queen Sheba. The operation Solomon was actually the mission where isreal sent cargo planes to airlift these ethiopeans back to isreal. They are the black isrealis you see today. They are called Beta-Isreal. EOD.

2 Likes

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by ItsMeAboki(m): 6:19am On Aug 26, 2015
dominique:
grin grin grin

Pictures of the 200 year old letters or... cool

Don't mind them, inventing history as usual; over 200yrs ago the whole bunch of them were stark illiterates, how therefore was it possible for anybody to communicate with anyone of them in writing?

3 Likes

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by speaktome(m): 6:36am On Aug 26, 2015
willow0802:

Only the people that sees the same vision you are seeing will understand your post.

Your last paragraph summerized it.

"Some think that what is happening among the Igbos is a precursor to another Operation Solomon, and that my movement will oil the wheels. I say, yes, a rescue seems to be on the way, a rescue that may not involve boots on the ground, air-planes landing and taking off, but that may herald a sweeping spreading of Torah - but we’ll wait and see!"

He who has ear, let him hear what the Spirit Says!
Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by Asiwaju9ja(m): 7:58am On Aug 26, 2015
speaktome:

Only the people that sees the same vision you are seeing will understand your post.

Your last paragraph summerized it.

"Some think that what is happening among the Igbos is a precursor to another Operation Solomon, and that my movement will oil the wheels. I say, yes, a rescue seems to be on the way, a rescue that may not involve boots on the ground, air-planes landing and taking off, but that may herald a sweeping spreading of Torah - but we’ll wait and see!"

He who has ear, let him hear what the Spirit Says!

The sooner you wake up and smell the coffee the better for you. Jewishness or being a Jew is not what u imagine. It is a way of life. The igbos have no historical link anywhere near Jews. Take the case of the beta-isrealis. They have all the links to being Jewish. The have been proven by both history and the bible as being descendants of Dan which is one of the 12 tribes of isreal. Emperor melenek of Ethiopia is a direct descendant of king Solo and Queen Sheba nacking kpekus. They are in the bible and history confirms this. Where igbo dey for history not to talk of bible. Make una stop running away from Nigeria. If no be Biafra 2day na Isreali 2morow. Let us join hands and salvage our great nation when ur kinsmen help spoil. We do not have another country.

2 Likes

Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by dominique(f): 10:36am On Aug 26, 2015
ItsMeAboki:

Don't mind them, inventing history as usual; over 200yrs ago the whole bunch of them were stark illiterates, how therefore was it possible for anybody to communicate with anyone of them in writing?

I wonder what language they were communicating in. There was no formal education in that part of Nigeria at that time to how they take exchange letter? See as Op used brain twisting article to claim some phony Jewish heritage. Why can't they be proud of their heritage sef, what value would being Jews add to their lives?
Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by kayo80(m): 10:37am On Aug 26, 2015
hmm
Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by dominique(f): 10:45am On Aug 26, 2015
Asiwaju9ja:

If u see d way I speed read this yeye article ehn, I just dey jumpy jumpy till d end.

Anyways the ibos have been trying to claim Jewish heritage. The isreali Govt actually sent a study group several times to study the igbos' claim of jewishness. All studies proved nothing. The isreali did the same thing to the Ethiopean Jews and found that they were indeed Jews of the descendants of the union between Solo(king Solomon the wise) and Queen Sheba. The operation Solomon was actually the mission where isreal sent cargo planes to airlift these ethiopeans back to isreal. They are the black isrealis you see today. They are called Beta-Isreal. EOD.

Oh now I get it.
Re: Letters Written Two Hundred Yrs Ago By Euro-jewish Rabbis Addressed To The Igbos by jom28gy(m): 10:00am On Jan 29, 2017
i found this write-up interesting,i will per-chance will even like to meet him on more details of the topic above.

(1) (Reply)

Biafra And Some Hidden Facts. / Two Ladies Beaten & Stripped For Stealing N100,000 In Abuja Market (photos) / Apostle Suleman Calls El-rufai An slowpoke,curses Him During 2day's Sermon(video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.