Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns (1087 Views)

Don't Push Northerners Into Engaging In Reprisals - Arewa Group Warns Yorubas Ov / Mobil, Relocate Your Headquarters To Akwa-Ibom Or… - Militant Group Warns / Niger Delta May Erupt In Violence Again, International Group Warns Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by IROHINOodua: 5:16pm On Aug 26, 2015
Kogi Election: Igala domination may spur violence, Oodua group warns
By Adebimpe Abiodun
Ahead of the forthcoming election, a Pan Yoruba group, Oodua Nationalist Coalition, (ONAC) has asked political leaders in Kogi state to show ‘deep respect and honour’ for the principle of power rotation in a state dominated by three major ethic groups in which only one has been ruling the state since its creation in 1991.
In a statement made available to Irohinoodua this afternoon, the Oodua Nationalist Coalition, (ONAC) said that since Kogi State was carved out of the old Kwara State in 1991, the Igala people have been ruling the state as if it’s their inherited fiefdom. “The Igala ruled for two years between 1992 and 1994. Since 1999, the past 17 years, Igala has been producing the governor of the state leaving the other ethnic groups with a wounded sense of marginalization.”
ONAC said the worst aspect is that the Igala has not served the state with an inspiring leader but has produced self-seeking demagogues that have left Kogi with a huge debt profile, unending violence, killings and economic ruin.”
Kogi’s major ethnic groups are Yoruba including Oworro and Ogori, Igala and Ebira. Igala has faced constant accusation of seeing the state as its ‘personal property’ using its share population to ‘humiliate and subdue’other ethnic groups, ONAC said.
ONAC in the statement signed by Mr Adekunle Agbana stated that “ethnic minorities often complain of marginalization at the national level. But experience has shown that when they themselves seize power, they are worst and are often bloody in their desperation to keep on to power.”
ONAC cited the case of Benue State where the Tiv has been in power since the state’s creation in 1991 and in Kwara where the Fulani who are barely 10 percent of the population have had to determine who will lead the state. ONAC also refer to the government of ousted President Goodluck Jonathan saying that it was the first time an Ijaw person would rule Nigeria but that the opportunity was grossly abused as Jonathan’s main focus was to build a Nigeria trampled under the armpit of Ijaw hegemony.
He said that at present in Kogi State, the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) has adopted the current governor, an Igala, Idris Wada as its sole candidate, regretting that the All Progressive Congress, (APC) is also under tremendous pressure to field another Igala person, Chief Abubakar Audu as its gubernatorial candidate.
“There is a bitter anger and fury going on in Kogi at the moment. Other ethnic groups are angry and feel wounded with a deep cut. If either the PDP or APC wins, it will mean that Kogi will be under Igala domination and misrule for 21 years. What is going on in Kogi State is despotism and lack of sensitivity to the principle of fairness. This is bound to spur instability and unending disenchantment in Kogi State for a long time.”
Re: Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 26, 2015
cheesy
Re: Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by Unsad(m): 5:17pm On Aug 26, 2015
Kogi tho. Sort yourselves out.
Kogi girls, raise up your hands. I want to confirm something about yall
Re: Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by tpiander: 5:20pm On Aug 26, 2015
President Goodluck Jonathan saying that it was the first time an Ijaw person would rule Nigeria

was it?
Re: Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by tpiander: 5:23pm On Aug 26, 2015
@ topic

what is needed in most parts of Nigeria is a checks and balances system which can promote development pari passu.

focusing on tribe is not necessarily the answer right now, different rules apply to different regions.

just my opinion.
Re: Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by olafum1(m): 5:24pm On Aug 26, 2015
Hm cool
Re: Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by nwadiuko1(m): 5:29pm On Aug 26, 2015
Ooduaa or whatever should just shut up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 26, 2015
grincheesy
Re: Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by Akanbiedu(m): 5:40pm On Aug 26, 2015
It is democracy, it's a game of numbers.
Re: Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by NDPVFreload: 5:41pm On Aug 26, 2015
[s]
IROHINOodua:
Kogi Election: Igala domination may spur violence, Oodua group warns
By Adebimpe Abiodun
Ahead of the forthcoming election, a Pan Yoruba group, Oodua Nationalist Coalition, (ONAC) has asked political leaders in Kogi state to show ‘deep respect and honour’ for the principle of power rotation in a state dominated by three major ethic groups in which only one has been ruling the state since its creation in 1991.
In a statement made available to Irohinoodua this afternoon, the Oodua Nationalist Coalition, (ONAC) said that since Kogi State was carved out of the old Kwara State in 1991, the Igala people have been ruling the state as if it’s their inherited fiefdom. “The Igala ruled for two years between 1992 and 1994. Since 1999, the past 17 years, Igala has been producing the governor of the state leaving the other ethnic groups with a wounded sense of marginalization.”
ONAC said the worst aspect is that the Igala has not served the state with an inspiring leader but has produced self-seeking demagogues that have left Kogi with a huge debt profile, unending violence, killings and economic ruin.”
Kogi’s major ethnic groups are Yoruba including Oworro and Ogori, Igala and Ebira. Igala has faced constant accusation of seeing the state as its ‘personal property’ using its share population to ‘humiliate and subdue’other ethnic groups, ONAC said.
ONAC in the statement signed by Mr Adekunle Agbana stated that “ethnic minorities often complain of marginalization at the national level. But experience has shown that when they themselves seize power, they are worst and are often bloody in their desperation to keep on to power.”
ONAC cited the case of Benue State where the Tiv has been in power since the state’s creation in 1991 and in Kwara where the Fulani who are barely 10 percent of the population have had to determine who will lead the state. ONAC also refer to the government of ousted President Goodluck Jonathan saying that it was the first time an Ijaw person would rule Nigeria but that the opportunity was grossly abused as Jonathan’s main focus was to build a Nigeria trampled under the armpit of Ijaw hegemony.
He said that at present in Kogi State, the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) has adopted the current governor, an Igala, Idris Wada as its sole candidate, regretting that the All Progressive Congress, (APC) is also under tremendous pressure to field another Igala person, Chief Abubakar Audu as its gubernatorial candidate.
“There is a bitter anger and fury going on in Kogi at the moment. Other ethnic groups are angry and feel wounded with a deep cut. If either the PDP or APC wins, it will mean that Kogi will be under Igala domination and misrule for 21 years. What is going on in Kogi State is despotism and lack of sensitivity to the principle of fairness. This is bound to spur instability and unending disenchantment in Kogi State for a long time.”
[/s] Greedy lots.I said it,you guys want to play Yoruba on Igala people.Yoruba are not indigenous to Kogi state,you guys are simply illegal inhabitants/migrants in Kogi state,and shouldn't have a say in the politics of Kogi state.shm.greedy buffons.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by NDPVFreload: 5:46pm On Aug 26, 2015
tpiander:
@ topic

what is needed in most parts of Nigeria is a checks and balances system which can promote development pari passu.

focusing on tribe is not necessarily the answer right now, different rules apply to different regions.

just my opinion.
Exactly.Same people that will come here and shout "I don't care where a minister comes from,provided he does his work",are same people playing ethnic card.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by yorubatic: 5:47pm On Aug 26, 2015
My people let us start agitating for a sophisticated and progressive Odu'a republic. I want us to be as brave as the ibos....if ibos are cowards, they won't be fighting for biafra all these years....

Mind you the rest of nigerians are cowards, not the ibos...it is the British who won the biafran war because British consider Nigeria their property....

Eastern nigeria is British property but biafra is not....Biafra is more or less considered an ibo man property, hence the British refusal to let go....

Nigeria as whole a is British property, and among these slaves of the British, it only the ibos who want freedom, just as it has always been during the slave trade...ibos are not slaves and can never be a slave. ...

I am agitating for my yorubas people to wake up and stop being slaves and O'yes to anything

How many yorubas are agitating for odua republic? How many Hausa / Fulani are agitating for arewastan? How many ijaw is agitating for ijaw republic? Then asked your dunce selves, my people, how many ibos want to be a Nigeria?

My people stop being Dunces of the century ...Join me and musiwa to agitate for our sophisticated and progressive Odu'a republic
Re: Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by basilo101: 5:48pm On Aug 26, 2015
Imagine! while igbo men rule in Delta and Rivers, yorubas are enslaved by minority tribes in Kwara and Kogi.

1 Like

Re: Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by yorubatic: 5:54pm On Aug 26, 2015
NDPVFreload:
Exactly.Same people that will come here and shout "I don't care where a minister comes from,provided he does his work",are same people playing ethnic card.
My people are evil and cowards. ..they speak from both side of their mouth...they are confused lots...only odua republic can safe my people. ..
Re: Kogi Election: Igala Domination May Spur Violence, Oodua Group Warns by NDPVFreload: 5:58pm On Aug 26, 2015
yorubatic:

My people are evil and cowards. ..they speak from both side of their mouth...they are confused lots...only odua republic can safe my people. ..
I think its only you,that is a reasonable Yoruba here.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

US Army Picks Up New Vehicle To Replace Humvee / ​nigerian Air Force Destroys Boko Haram’s Solar Panels -premium Time / Tribunal Overrules Wike Over A’court Judgment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.