Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? (3271 Views)

Misconceptions You Should Clear Of Your Mind As Saints Of God / Does Adeboye Now Believe In Canonization Of Saints? / Did You Know That The Bodies Of True Christians Never Decay After They Die (vid) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by delishpot: 8:23am On Aug 30, 2015
Ubenedictus:
some were encased after they were previously exhume while other weren't that of catherine is left open.

I hope the site u just gave me isnt a masonic site.

Lastly it is not idolatry, no body is asking a corpse for help or given adoration to it. The bible actually bears witness that God make allow the remains of the righteous to work wonders.

It seem u dont know the meaning of idolatry.

See talk. You talk about me not reading up and learning then come dey ask me jamb question when I also ask you to readup. you are also allergic to broadning your own knowledge. If there is massonic messanger between you and I then that person will be you. who believes in saving a corpse and claiming its incorruptable. Displaying the dead and believing while encouraging other to do same that those corpses are divine.

No need to argue with people sha. When I see some comments I instantly know if a person has the brain power to discus and study a given subject(No insult intended here God knows)

NB that a corpse is in a glass box and you can see it does not mean its out in the open. You see that box the corpse is placed in? That is a controlled environment. Yess people work around it to preserve its looks when the tourists are gone. Those corpses are not incorruptable in the real sense.

Anyhoe, I humbly bow out. No need flogging a dead horse catholic corpse
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:49pm On Aug 30, 2015
delishpot:

See talk. You talk about me not reading up and learning then come dey ask me jamb question when I also ask you to readup. you are also allergic to broadning your own knowledge. If there is massonic messanger between you and I then that person will be you. who believes in saving a corpse and claiming its incorruptable. Displaying the dead and believing while encouraging other to do same that those corpses are divine.

No need to argue with people sha. When I see some comments I instantly know if a person has the brain power to discus and study a given subject(No insult intended here God knows)

NB that a corpse is in a glass box and you can see it does not mean its out in the open. You see that box the corpse is placed in? That is a controlled environment. Yess people work around it to preserve its looks when the tourists are gone. Those corpses are not incorruptable in the real sense.

Anyhoe, I humbly bow out. No need flogging a dead horse catholic corpse
d body of st catherine is not in a box, it is stil open til today. You can try ur explanations again.

Your attempts to provoke and insult me were also noted, ad hominen attacks are fallacious so between u and i we can see whose has d better brain power.
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by delishpot: 1:04pm On Aug 30, 2015
Ubenedictus:
d body of st catherine is not in a box, it is stil open til today. You can try ur explanations again.

Your attempts to provoke and insult me were also noted, ad hominen attacks are fallacious so between u and i we can see whose has d better brain power.

No time. Anyhow anyhow its your life, your faith your choice. Carry go nothing do you.
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:40pm On Aug 31, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Is it true that the bodies of some saints are incorruptible? Are the dead bodies of some Roman Catholic saints miraculously incorruptible?

Suggested answer:

The Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches believe that the dead bodies of some of the saints remain miraculously incorruptible, that is, their bodies do not decay as the corpses of "normal" people would. Catholics claim that these saints’ bodies are supernaturally preserved as a fulfillment of Psalm 16:10, "Thou wilt not . . . give thy holy one to see corruption" (Douay-Rheims Bible).

Some of these "incorruptible" bodies of saints are on display in various churches and monasteries around the world. Invariably, the bodies are enshrined, and worshipers and pilgrims pay homage to the remains. There is a lengthy list of saints, including St. Silvan, St. Teresa Margaret, and St. Bernadette of Lourdes, who, after their deaths, were officially declared "incorrupt" by the Catholic Church, which means that their remains were showing little to no decomposition, or at least delayed decomposition.

Of course, a slow rate of decay is not the same as miraculous incorruptibility. Decomposition of a body depends on some external and internal environmental factors, such as the amount of oxygen and moisture to which the corpse is exposed, the ambient temperature, and the presence of various bacteria. A body encased within a dry, airtight coffin in a cold tomb will decay much more slowly than a body exposed to the elements. Nevertheless, every dead thing eventually decays, be it saint, snail, or snapdragon. The Roman Catholic Church knows this full well and takes great care to preserve the appearance of the dead saints they keep in their buildings—many of the “incorruptible” bodies have been fitted with wax masks and hand coverings to hide the fact that decomposition has indeed been occurring. A pilgrim to Lourdes to see St. Bernadette, for example, may as well be visiting a wax museum.

The bodies declared "incorrupt" by the Catholic Church have indeed seemed to decompose more slowly than normal, even without the wax touch-ups. But, again, slow decay is not necessarily miraculous. A man or woman thought to be headed for sainthood would likely have received a better coffin and a better tomb than the average person. This would greatly contribute to the preservation of the body and lead to a subsequent misunderstanding about incorruptibility.

If the body of an "incorruptible saint" was truly miraculously incorruptible, it would not need to be kept in an airtight and temperature/humidity controlled case.

The Catholic Church’s emphasis on physicality—relics, corpses, transubstantiation, icons, beads, statues, etc.—leads many away from the spiritual matters of the heart. And their fascination with the "holy" saints shifts the focus from Christ. Psalm 16:10 is a prophecy of Christ, the only holy (i.e., sinless) person ever to have lived. Jesus, the Holy One of God, truly saw no corruption, having been raised from the dead on the third day after His death.

Those who trust in Christ are promised an incorruptible body some day: "Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption" (1 Corinthians 15:50–53, KJV). (The word incorruptible is also translated "imperishable" in other translations.) One day, all believers will be glorified, body and soul, both those who have died and those who remain alive at the return of Christ (cf. 1 Thessalonians 4:15–17).

http://www.gotquestions.org/incorruptible-saints.html
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:01am On Sep 20, 2016
delishpot:

Na wash

Why did you say so?
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by delishpot: 11:16am On Sep 20, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Why did you say so?

Cos nothing like incorruptible saint on earth. God did not say the reward for anyone would be incorruptible corpse.
A lot of things play a role in keeping a corpse from total decay.
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:59pm On Sep 21, 2016
delishpot:

Cos nothing like incorruptible saint on earth. God did not say the reward for anyone would be incorruptible corpse.
A lot of things play a role in keeping a corpse from total decay.

But some religious folks here believe their church traditions which says otherwise. cool
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by adjoviomole(m): 4:01pm On Sep 21, 2016
Is it when they are alive in this earth or when they die? @ OP
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:10pm On Sep 21, 2016
adjoviomole:

Is it when they are alive in this earth or when they die? @ OP

The OP is referring to the bodies of dead Roman Catholic saints such as mother Theresa who was recently pronounced to be a "saint."
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by adjoviomole(m): 4:13pm On Sep 21, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

The OP is referring to the bodies of dead Roman Catholic saints such as mother Theresa who was recently pronounced to be a "saint."

If she was truly a child of God( saved from her life of sin) she will go to heaven where she will have a glorified body. And if she is not truly saved from her life of sin, God is no respecter of persons ,she will go to hell.
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:18pm On Sep 21, 2016
adjoviomole:

If she was truly a child of God( saved from her life of sin) she will go to heaven where she will have a glorified body. And if she is not truly saved from her life of sin, God is no respecter of persons ,she will go to hell.

But will her physical body here on earth be preserved incorruptible? undecided
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by adjoviomole(m): 4:22pm On Sep 21, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

But will her physical body here on earth be preserved incorruptible? undecided

The physical body if buried will surely decay and return back to the soil it came from. Except if they preserved the body by themself tru enbalming
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:26pm On Sep 21, 2016
adjoviomole:

The physical body if buried will surely decay and return back to the soil it came from. Except if they preserved the body by themself tru enbalming

That means that there is no miracle of incorruptibility for the Roman Catholic saints, right?
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by adjoviomole(m): 10:49pm On Sep 21, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

That means that there is no miracle of incorruptibility for the Roman Catholic saints, right?

Why are u still asking the same question? I already explained to you, read my previous reply
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by oaroloye(m): 7:42pm On Sep 23, 2016
SHALOM!

OLAADEGBU:
Is it true that the bodies of some saints are incorruptible? Are the dead bodies of some Roman Catholic saints miraculously incorruptible?

I think that certain poisons retard decay. Arsenic, perhaps.
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:48am On Sep 29, 2016
adjoviomole:

Why are u still asking the same question? I already explained to you, read my previous reply

Okay. smiley
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:49am On Sep 29, 2016
oaroloye:

SHALOM!

I think that certain poisons retard decay. Arsenic, perhaps.

Can you interpret that in English please? undecided
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 29, 2016
Ubenedictus:

there is a difference between mummification and incorruptibility! If a body was embalmed it is not classified as incorrupt! That is why I said you should make research, if u had made research you would have learnt that there is a difference.

I give u an example, st francis de sales died close to China, his companions decided to ship his bones back to his fathers land so they poured quicklime (a decomposing agent) on it and buried it. (quicklime decomposes a corpse within days leaving just bones). After some weeks mr Francis was exhumed with the hope of shipping his bare bone back home. His flesh was still intact, the process was repeated and the result was the same. His incorrupt body was shipped home. It is still incorrupt to this day.

An incorruptible is actually different from a preserved corpse. Make research dear.

To be considered incorruptible the body is actually supposed to be in conditions that encourages decomposition.
Read my dear

I assume you are referring to St. Francis de Sales, erstwhile Bishop of Geneva who lived 1567-1622. What is your sourcing for your claim that he died "close to China" and his "bones were shipped back"?

Francis de Sales died on December 28, 1622 at a Lyon monastery hut whilst in the entourage of the Duke of Savoy. It is well documented even by the Catholic Encyclopaedia.
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by Ubenedictus(m): 8:01pm On Sep 30, 2016
Sarassin:

I assume you are referring to St. Francis de Sales, erstwhile Bishop of Geneva who lived 1567-1622. What is your sourcing for your claim that he died "close to China" and his "bones were shipped back"?

Francis de Sales died on December 28, 1622 at a Lyon monastery hut whilst in the entourage of the Duke of Savoy. It is well documented even by the Catholic Encyclopaedia.
I MADE A MISTAKE, I MEANT ST FRANCIS XAVIER
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by Nobody: 11:03pm On Sep 30, 2016
Ubenedictus:
I MADE A MISTAKE, I MEANT ST FRANCIS XAVIER

Easily done, no worries.
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by oaroloye(m): 3:00pm On Oct 03, 2016
SHALOM!

OLAADEGBU:

Can you interpret that in English please? undecided

I WROTE that certain poisons, such as ARSENIC and LEAD are known to SLOW DECAY.

What I wrote was altered.
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:43pm On Oct 04, 2016
oaroloye:

SHALOM!

I WROTE that certain poisons, such as ARSENIC and LEAD are known to SLOW DECAY.

What I wrote was altered.

I still need you to interpret what you've written up there if you don't mind. smiley
Re: Is It True That The Bodies Of Some Saints Are Incorruptible? by cyrilamx(m): 6:13pm On Apr 01, 2017
He actually talking about St. Francis Xavier. The jesuit missionary to India, China n Japan
Sarassin:

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Vowed To Give God My First Salary, Now I'm Broke And Need The Money. / See This Clever Use Of Al Taqiyya By An Arab Who Molested A Child / The Illusion Called Karma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.