Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,553 members, 7,955,058 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:40 PM

Functions Of Nigeria Local Govts And Their Chairmen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Functions Of Nigeria Local Govts And Their Chairmen (457 Views)

Buhari Gives Go-ahead For Reform That Will Seperate Local Govts From State Govts / Full List Of The 8th Assembly House Of Reps Standing Committees & Their Chairmen / President Orders Police To Vacate Rivers Local Govts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Functions Of Nigeria Local Govts And Their Chairmen by Raahym(m): 3:16pm On Aug 27, 2015
I have tried over the years to be oblivion to the fact that the current Nigerian state is nothing but a mere joke but recently i am beginning to feel a sense of belonging considering the rate at which our president Rtd Major General Muhammad Buhari is handling the affairs of the state.

This got me thinking though, can he do it alone without the support of the required executives we call State Governors and Local Government Chairmen, as it stands they really do not do anything in my view and would want the present government to look into the affairs of the Local Government Chairmen for a proper review of their jurisdictive powers and legislative control of their immediate environment.

We have a lot of drainages (gutters), roads and other amenities that are suppose to be in the care of the local government as the arm of government closer to the people but currently what we have is a high level of degradable roads, non - functional drainages and other amenities. No parks for the children to play and grow, no basic education, no good medical facility, these local government chairmen are just figure heads there to make money and leave after their tenure, they never add any value to their local govt.

Please i stand to be corrected if my opinions are biased and unreasonable, they are not in anyway helpful to their immediate environment and i think it is high time the federal government and the legislative arm of government look into their affairs and see a possible solution, that will either make them productive or get them scrapped cos they have not been useful and i do not see them as being there for the ordinary men and women of the community to have the government closer to them.

The state at which they make money is enormous and yes when it comes to responsibilities they say, it belongs to the Federal Government and neglect it but yet they make money on the said path. i.e. Apapa Oshodi Express Way all the way from Liverpool in Apapa the local government makes a lot of money even from Trailers and Trucks passing and loading but yet this is a Federal Road and nothing can be done to fix it by them. Same as the road that goes to Costain, Alaka bridge coming from Apapa (point road junction) its in a deplorable state but the Local Governments make a lot of money from there but yet its a Federal Road and considering this road leads in and out of the Nigeria's foremost Port its a shameful thing to admit.

Your comments and opinions on this is highly welcomed.

God Bless Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Okada Riders In Ondo State Are Dying Of Hunger / Photo: Kneeling, Prostrating Civil Servants Pleading With Fayose / ICPC Probes Fashola, Amaechi, Akpabio, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.