Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... (4298 Views)

While Man Was Suffering In Libya, His Wife Was Sleeping With A Married Man. PICS / Pls Help, My Mum Is Suffering From Megalomania And Am Begining To Hate Her. / Dearest Nigerians, People Are Suffering.. Read This! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by Nobody: 9:49pm On Aug 28, 2015
mrsmith11:

Atleast you admitted it and even apologise. A xter that is not common wit ppl around here.

Anyway,you look beautiful and I guess you got a beautiful heart as well

Aww grin thats how much my teeth is shinning
Thanks for the compliment.

Only a good heart can identify another wink thanks.

1 Like

Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by GHoJes: 10:42pm On Aug 28, 2015
disloman:
R u talking abt just building a house just 4 having a house sake or u take ur tyme n build what u desire.Everyone has his or her own opinion but car is important in marriage especially u n ur family going to church n mount a bike?Baba God!Answer my prayer ooooo.
Read well before you hasten to quote, i'm not the uncle that asked him to buy land neither did i suggested building is own accomodation. I only hinted on him renting his own space to have a feel of responsibilities, being responsible and prioritising. I as well suggested 2 or 3 other things he could have done to expand his income before car purchase and marriage.
The matter that really brought the op here was not even misplaced priority but that of non working priority. That was why he felt the car was a mistake although it is, that was why he readily made his uncle's not immediately feasible land purchase his next priority leaving marriage hanging in the air not that it had a fixed place previously either. As a matter of fact, he is just taking suggestions now to make one. OP before now bought that car because the money was in his hand, i wouldnt have mind if he bought it considering its cost saving advantage over public transportation. Before this thread if he will be honest to himself, he would have spend his next reasonable savings on the next fancy that catches his attention.
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by Yeecar(m): 2:02am On Aug 29, 2015
apexquest:

Yes sir, I do. Usually around 10 to 12k outside salary.
True talk sir, I use my annual savings to first raise chicken for Xmas every year before I use it. I am a graduate of agriculture.
Plan to move out of FAM Ouse in January.

Agric? that's a good one. you might wana consider going into Mushroom cultivation.
It is highly lucrative.

https://www.nairaland.com/2113936/mushroom-cultivation-nigeria-tips
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by apexquest(m): 7:55am On Aug 29, 2015
GHoJes:

Read well before you hasten to quote, i'm not the uncle that asked him to buy land neither did i suggested building is own accomodation. I only hinted on him renting his own space to have a feel of responsibilities, being responsible and prioritising. I as well suggested 2 or 3 other things he could have done to expand his income before car purchase and marriage.
The matter that really brought the op here was not even misplaced priority but that of non working priority. That was why he felt the car was a mistake although it is, that was why he readily made his uncle's not immediately feasible land purchase his next priority leaving marriage hanging in the air not that it had a fixed place previously either. As a matter of fact, he is just taking suggestions now to make one. OP before now bought that car because the money was in his hand, i wouldnt have mind if he bought it considering its cost saving advantage over public transportation. Before this thread if he will be honest to himself, he would have spend his next reasonable savings on the next fancy that catches his attention.
U gave very good points, I acknowledge them. But to assume I bought that car for fancy is wrong sir. A primera doesn't meet fancy requirements. More so, I never left marriage hanging: its next year.
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by GHoJes: 8:46am On Aug 29, 2015
apexquest:

U gave very good points, I acknowledge them. But to assume I bought that car for fancy is wrong sir. A primera doesn't meet fancy requirements. More so, I never left marriage hanging: its next year.
Alright good success.
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by Nobody: 6:57pm On Aug 29, 2015
apexquest:
I'm a young bachelor, 30 years of age. I was accused by somebody i look up to, he said i was suffering from misplaced priorities, i was wondering if its true that I am suffering from it.
[/b]What did I do ?[b]
He said I should not have bought a car yet.
He advices I get a land and start developing it small small small.
[/b]my situation[b]
I am a young civil servant, working for the past two years now on a salary of 51k. My savings is 20k monthly.
I live in my family house, so i don't pay rent. Planning to move out when I want to marry.
I support with food money to the tune of 12k monthly.
I plan to marry in 15 months time sha.

Though I have always respected his opinion on life issues, I don't plan to sell that car ooo.. Its a toks 2.0 primera 1999.

So my peeps, wats your take on this matter??
Candid opinions plssssss....
Different people value different things. Hence priorities differ. The most important thing is you setting your own priorities. Nobody can set that for you. Taking advise from somebody you respect is also good because we dont know it all.

As per the car... If you bought it for show off or leisure then you should consider selling it.
But if it saves you a lot of time, money and stress then I will advise you keep it. Owning a car is cheaper than public transport in some parts of this country..
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by ladygudhead(f): 7:24pm On Aug 29, 2015
adedayourt:

now u complicate issues here

which one be dictionary again nd wer google dey liv mke i go ask am

your signature is funny n interesting
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by adedayourt(m): 7:29pm On Aug 29, 2015
ladygudhead:

your signature is funny n interesting

Thanks ma'am.
its a pleasure aving u in ma profile cool
#sidehug
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by ladygudhead(f): 7:22am On Aug 30, 2015
adedayourt:

Thanks ma'am. its a pleasure aving u in ma profile cool #sidehug
u wcm!

1 Like

Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by vizion: 9:22pm On Aug 30, 2015
apexquest:
I'm a young bachelor, 30 years of age. I was accused by somebody i look up to, he said i was suffering from misplaced priorities, i was wondering if its true that I am suffering from it.
[/b]What did I do ?[b]
[/b]my situation[b]
I am a young civil servant, working for the past two years now on a salary of 51k. My savings is 20k monthly.
I live in my family house, so i don't pay rent. Planning to move out when I want to marry.

Though I have always respected his opinion on life issues, I don't plan to sell that car ooo.. Its a toks 2.0 primera 1999.

Hello OP, how u dey?

Car wahala is not something for you to encounter with your salary, by the time the car starts giving wahala, you would abandone the car and return to using leg.

however, all is not bad

I once entered a cab (drop) in PHC, and got gisting with the driver. he told me that he is a graduate, and use to work for firm earning small pay. but he use to make money by carrying passengers on his way to work in the morning and also doing about two trips when he closes work in the evening before going home. He was able to make enough money outside his regular job for vehicle and personal maintenance. He saved enough, and He has been able to purchase a land and build his own house were he is living.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by vague: 10:41pm On Aug 30, 2015
MRBrownJ:
@Apexquest
think outside the box and do what matters to YOU, because you are the only one who is going to live with the consequences. if you are fully happy with your purchase then dont let any fool out there tell you (or make you feel) otherwise.
live your life, be merry, enjoy what you got and have a big smile while cruising pass the haters waiting at the bus stop!
Listen to uncle here afterall a car loses value over the years and land actually increases value over the years. But who needs to make wise investments when you can brag about having haters?
Maybe one day you will be like Mr Brown, an elderly guy who rents another person's house when his agemates are building flats to rent out to other people.
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by MRBrownJ: 11:40pm On Aug 30, 2015
vague:

Listen to uncle here afterall a car loses value over the years and land actually increases value over the years. But who needs to make wise investments when you can brag about having haters?
Maybe one day you will be like Mr Brown, an elderly guy who rents another person's house when his agemates are building flats to rent out to other people.

of course not, he should listen to you because you are the land/money expert who is like all the clueless Nigerians who know all the schemes to invest money yet never have anything to show for. the OP should become like all the miserable Nigerians whose sole existence is to "make money" at all cost, and certainly NOT enjoy life and/or the fruit of his labor... so yes, the OP should certainly listen to Vague and NOT be happy and purchase the car that he desires, but should instead invest in land because "Vague" the life expert has decided that this is what the OP (better yet, the whole Nigerian population) need right now. NONSENSE!!!!

if a man doesnt know anything about land and how everything works with deed/C of O/land surveys/omoniles, price appreciation etc then they have absolutely NO business buying land as an investment, PERIOD!

2 Likes

Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by vague: 11:47pm On Aug 30, 2015
MRBrownJ:

of course not, he should listen to you because you are the land/money expert who is like all the clueless Nigerians who know all the schemes to invest money yet never have anything to show for. the OP should become like all the miserable Nigerians whose sole existence is to "make money" at all cost, and certainly NOT enjoy life and/or the fruit of his labor... so yes, the OP should certainly listen to Vague and NOT be happy and purchase the car that he desires, but should instead invest in land because "Vague" the life expert has decided that this is what the OP (better yet, the whole Nigerian population) need right now. NONSENSE!!!!

if a man doesnt know anything about land and how everything works with deed/C of O/land surveys/omoniles, price appreciation etc then they have absolutely NO business buying land as an investment, PERIOD!
tongue you think Dangote got rich from buying car to enjoy life or he made wise investments in his youth so he can afford whichever car he likes years later? Not everyone may become as rich as he is now but at least learn from the wise.
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by MRBrownJ: 3:38am On Aug 31, 2015
vague:
tongue you think Dangote got rich from buying car to enjoy life or he made wise investments in his youth so he can afford whichever car he likes years later? Not everyone may become as rich as he is now but at least learn from the wise.

stop mentioning Africa richest man here, you are showing even more your "make money or die" miserable way of thinking. Dangote comes from a wealthy family and has ALWAYS BEEN passionate about business since a very young age, while here you are foolishly believing that everyone can make sound investments. it is an insult towards Dangote to believe that any dumbass in Nigeria CAN/SHOULD invest their money wisely.

BTW here is something that is certain: Dangote has always done what HE believes is right, and he has never been forced by "strangers" (who probably know nothing about sound investments) to do what he was not comfortable doing.

what we should all learn from Dangote's story is that he did something he was PASSIONATE about, thats what important here.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by apexquest(m): 6:56am On Aug 31, 2015
vizion:

Hello OP, how u dey?

Car wahala is not something for you to encounter with your salary, by the time the car starts giving wahala, you would abandone the car and return to using leg.

however, all is not bad

I once entered a cab (drop) in PHC, and got gisting with the driver. he told me that he is a graduate, and use to work for firm earning small pay. but he use to make money by carrying passengers on his way to work in the morning and also doing about two trips when he closes work in the evening before going home. He was able to make enough money outside his regular job for vehicle and personal maintenance. He saved enough, and He has been able to purchase a land and build his own house were he is living.

Thanks a lot.. That's a nice suggestion. Giving it a second thought
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by EfemenaXY: 7:19am On Aug 31, 2015
apexquest:
[/b]What did I do ?[b]
[/b]my situation[b]

As long as the people whom you're living with aren't complaining, then my suggestion to you is to focus on increasing your income first, before rushing out to buy land. Yes, acquiring land is a solid investment for the future, but you aren't quite ready for that.

Secondly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing your vehicle. I don't understand many of the folks on here advising you that it was a wrong decision. Do they expect you to trek under the hot sun (dry season) or heavy rain (rainy season)? This shouldn't even be a topic for discussion. @OP: You most certainly need that car to make your life easier - otherwise you'll age before your time. Life shouldn't be about suffering / merely existing but about LIVING. Having a car eases a lot of burdens and makes life easier for you.

Thirdly, I don't think you should get married just yet (15 months time). Why not wait till you establish yourself further? Going by what you've posted on here, you're barely raising your head above the waters. I like the fact that not only have you got a job as a civil servant, you've also got some legitimate side business going on, to supplement your income. You're industrious, I'll give you that.

But my brother, you need to establish yourself a bit more. You're a guy and you can wait for another five (5) years. In the meantime, use these forthcoming years to expand upon your source of income, while seeking to acquire a place of your own. There's no rush in life. What really matters the most is how WELL you do something, and not how QUICKLY you get it done. QUALITY counts, my brother.

It is well with you.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by vague: 8:25am On Aug 31, 2015
MRBrownJ:

stop mentioning Africa richest man here, you are showing even more your "make money or die" miserable way of thinking. Dangote comes from a wealthy family and has ALWAYS BEEN passionate about business since a very young age, while here you are foolishly believing that everyone can make sound investments. it is an insult towards Dangote to believe that any dumbass in Nigeria CAN/SHOULD invest their money wisely.

BTW here is something that is certain: Dangote has always done what HE believes is right, and he has never been forced by "strangers" (who probably know nothing about sound investments) to do what he was not comfortable doing.

what we should all learn from Dangote's story is that he did something he was PASSIONATE about, thats what important here.

by the way buying a land and building your house is a necessity there is no need to be passionate about it, its something one must have.

if you die you will need a permanent place for your family to live comfortably in after you are gone. A secondhand car is a liabilities that can drain your pocket when it starts giving you problems.

So it is people like you who encourage porverty. Years down the lane when you are still staying in someone else's house and living under their rules, battling with child maintenance and other bills you will start going around the neighbour hood calling your landlord a witch for demanding the rent you are owing and dodging utility bills. sounds familiar? cheesy i thought as much lipsrsealed
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by MRBrownJ: 11:24am On Aug 31, 2015
vague:
by the way buying a land and building your house is a necessity there is no need to be passionate about it, its something one must have.

yes that would be ideal but you have to be real about this and understand that A) the majority of Nigerians dont own their own homes and are perfectly happy with that, B) there is a time and a place to build a house, thinking that this is what EVERYBODY must do as soon as they get some money is a joke, and C) you are now talking of building a house on that said land, which is an entirely different ball game and/or financial investment than a car. pls dont mix the two, but hey, if you believe that buying land and building a house on it is just as simple as buying a cheap car then you best quickly wake up bro!

if you die you will need a permanent place for your family to live comfortably in after you are gone. A secondhand car is a liabilities that can drain your pocket when it starts giving you problems.

bwaaaaaaah! you are now talking of a family, while the OP has none. the OP should buy what his life requires TODAY (aka a car). when the family will come in the picture then him and his wife will do the needed TOGETHER to secure the future of that said family. stop trying to put the carriage before the hrse simply because thats what you need/desire in YOUR life
the liability here is the person that will buy a land yet dont have any clue/means to do anything with it (or on it).

So it is people like you who encourage porverty. Years down the lane when you are still staying in someone else's house and living under their rules, battling with child maintenance and other bills you will start going around the neighbour hood calling your landlord a witch for demanding the rent you are owing and dodging utility bills. sounds familiar? cheesy i thought as much lipsrsealed

- i encourage people to be smart and live the life they desire, regardless of what miserable people out there desire for theirs.
- i encourage people to go for personal satisfaction/gratification FIRST because if they aint happy with their own self they sure wont make anyone around them happy.
- i encourage people to never foolishly copy others like sheep, and instead make their own path in life.
- i encourage people to listen to advices from people but to remember that they must always have the last say about what they should do in their own life.
- i encourage people to make their own way in life, at their own pace, and to fully enjoy life in the same process instead of being "zombies" which sole existence is to stressfully worry every single minute in their life on how to make money, while their lives is passing them by.
- i encourage people to use their brains and understand that there is a time for everything and they shouldnt foolishly rush into doing things that they are not ready/willing/able to do right away.
- i encourage people to open their mind to understand that paying rent does NOT mean you are poor, it simply means that you have different priorities in your life at that moment. when times comes and you are financially READY, you can start the "build/buy a home" project.
BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, i encourage people to use their brains at all times before deciding to do anything in their lives... and if it doesnt sound right to them, then they should desist from the act (whether people tell you its right or not)!

4 Likes

Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by thelish(f): 2:01pm On Aug 31, 2015
vague:
in as much as car is a liability, its more of a necessity to me. when u have it, u know its Importance and agree that a land can wait. especially when u don't have d means of developing it yet.

1 Like

Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by thelish(f): 2:10pm On Aug 31, 2015
EfemenaXY:

As long as the people whom you're living with aren't complaining, then my suggestion to you is to focus on increasing your income first, before rushing out to buy land. Yes, acquiring land is a solid investment for the future, but you aren't quite ready for that.

Secondly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing your vehicle. I don't understand many of the folks on here advising you that it was a wrong decision. Do they expect you to trek under the hot sun (dry season) or heavy rain (rainy season)? This shouldn't even be a topic for discussion. @OP: You most certainly need that car to make your life easier - otherwise you'll age before your time. Life shouldn't be about suffering / merely existing but about LIVING. Having a car eases a lot of burdens and makes life easier for you.

Thirdly, I don't think you should get married just yet (15 months time). Why not wait till you establish yourself further? Going by what you've posted on here, you're barely raising your head above the waters. I like the fact that not only have you got a job as a civil servant, you've also got some legitimate side business going on, to supplement your income. You're industrious, I'll give you that.

But my brother, you need to establish yourself a bit more. You're a guy and you can wait for another five (5) years. In the meantime, use these forthcoming years to expand upon your source of income, while seeking to acquire a place of your own. There's no rush in life. What really matters the most is how WELL you do something, and not how QUICKLY you get it done. QUALITY counts, my brother.

It is well with you.
u help me pour my mind here o. This raining season, if u see people trekking inside mud under d rain, the only thing u wish for at dat particular time is" if only say I get car" car is a necessity for me, don't know bout others though.

1 Like

Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by tpiander: 2:56pm On Sep 21, 2015
Do what works for you @ op, unless you feel your enemies are too angry at your success.

when one considers the suffering in Nigeria which I personally experienced, it is hard for those who know nothing of the same, to correctly judge your situation.
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by tpiander: 2:59pm On Sep 21, 2015
vague:

car is just a means of getting from here to there.

stop looking at celebrity photos and scan reality instead. Its not always about affording a latest car.

Having a car now does not mean someone cant make wise investments for the future.
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by apexquest(m): 10:19am On Oct 27, 2015
EfemenaXY:

As long as the people whom you're living with aren't complaining, then my suggestion to you is to focus on increasing your income first,

Secondly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing your vehicle. Having a car eases a lot of burdens and makes life easier for you.

Thirdly, I don't think you should get married just yet (15 months time). Why not wait till you establish yourself further?

It is well with you.

Firstly I have revived my broiler poultry business so that the profit increases my income source. I Currently have 200 broiler birds being raised for this Xmas.

Secondly, my car has helped in alleviating a lot of stress like packing wood shavings to the farm, buy many bags of feed n other local runnings..

Thirdly I plan to fix my accommodation in 3 months time n discuss with my fiancee bout moving getting married further by a year.

Thanks for the advice. .
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by apexquest(m): 10:23am On Oct 27, 2015
Special thanks to all those that gave their advice, suggestions, recommendations and genuine criticism..
They are all fully noted and appreciated...
Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by EfemenaXY: 6:13am On Oct 31, 2015
apexquest:

Firstly I have revived my broiler poultry business so that the profit increases my income source. I Currently have 200 broiler birds being raised for this Xmas.

Secondly, my car has helped in alleviating a lot of stress like packing wood shavings to the farm, buy many bags of feed n other local runnings..

Thirdly I plan to fix my accommodation in 3 months time n discuss with my fiancee bout moving getting married further by a year.

Thanks for the advice. .

You're welcome. And good to know everything's on track.

1 Like

Re: Am I Suffering From Misplaced Priorities? Help ... by EfemenaXY: 6:14am On Oct 31, 2015
thelish:
u help me pour my mind here o. This raining season, if u see people trekking inside mud under d rain, the only thing u wish for at dat particular time is" if only say I get car" car is a necessity for me, don't know bout others though.

Soooo true. Owning one shouldn't even be a topic for debate. It's a necessity.

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Look-alike Sisters In A Family Photo In Rwanda / Could You Accept Your Partner's/Spouse's Love Child Into Your Home? / Ghanaian Girl Shares Her Experience In The Hands Of A White German Man.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.