Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,673 members, 7,955,480 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:03 AM

"The Binis Were The First Nigerians Exposed To Western Education - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "The Binis Were The First Nigerians Exposed To Western Education (962 Views)

Pre-biafra War: Obafemi Awolowo’s Speech To Western Nigeria Leaders Of Thought / Nigerian Troops Fighting Against Boko Haram Exposed To Unnecessary Danger? (pic) / New Sect ‘Yanlabaiku’ Emerges In Kebbi Forbids Western Education, Shares Wives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"The Binis Were The First Nigerians Exposed To Western Education by mcvaeey(m): 10:27am On Aug 28, 2015
I would ask that readers google the Name, Ohen Okun. Ohen Okun from historical records held in both Benin archives and in the annals of Portuguese history was the Olokun priest of the port town of Ughoton Benin. Oba Esigie the Great, who reigned from 1504 to 1549, sent the Ohen Okun to Portugal as the Ambassador of Benin to the Portuguese Court. While in Portugal, the Portuguese Affonso .D. Aveiro remained in Benin as the Portuguese envoy. Ohen Okun was treated with respect while in Portugal. He later returned to Benin and is described as the first known Diplomat of Nigeria origin to Europe.
A BINI MAN WAS THE FIRST NIGERIAN GRADUATE
Let us go further; who was the first known Nigerian graduate? As this issue has generated so much controversy, it is important that I deal with it comprehensively and provide a clear evidence to substantiate my research. Readers, again kindly google the name: Olu Atuwatse (Dom Domingo). Olu Atuwatse was the crown prince of the Bini Empire who was sent to Portugal in 1601 for advanced studies by his father, the reigning Oba. He graduated from the University of Coimbra in 1611. He is the first person to obtain a European university degree. He later married the daughter of a Portuguese noble, Dona Feirs. Their son Antonio Domingo referred to in Benin History as the Golden Skinned king, succeeded him to the throne in 1643.
Antonio Domingo, a Christian who wanted to spread Christianity throughout the Empire wrote the Pope in 1652 asking for Missionary assistance. This is the oldest letter written in Nigeria. I think this lays to rest which ethnic national produced the first educated
Nigerians. If required, I would provide other historical research to substantiate my position further. I ask my Yoruba brothers to provide the same. -" - details

http://ihuanedo.ning.com/group/healtheducation/forum/topics/the-binis-were-the-first-nigerians-exposed-to-western-education-f
Re: "The Binis Were The First Nigerians Exposed To Western Education by Nutrition1: 10:33am On Aug 28, 2015
Who cares who got the 1st exposure? Where are they now

1 Like

Re: "The Binis Were The First Nigerians Exposed To Western Education by masseratti: 11:05am On Aug 28, 2015
Are you aware of the fact that in those days the official lingo in Bini Oba's palace is Yoruba? There is no big deal in that if you are aware that even at a point in the English history the official language in the English court was French,no doubt the bini empire spread from Lagos to the oil protectorates,and in our modern day Nigeria that's where the European came in from, its normal for the people or rulers there to have had the 1st exposure with the Europeans,if it will make you feel better since you are looking for first graduates, we can assume that, Gambians,Ghanaians ,senegalese,
Ivorians,togolese,benoinrs are better than us right,because am very sure the people living on the coast lines of those country had contact with the Portuguese before the people of benin empire which comprises not only Edo people but yorubas,itsekiris,ijaws,ikas and Igbos,lets learn from history but let work towards a better future.
Re: "The Binis Were The First Nigerians Exposed To Western Education by teetee2345: 1:09am On Jul 14
"who was the first known Nigerian graduate? As this issue has generated so much controversy, it is important that I deal with it comprehensively and provide a clear evidence to substantiate my research. Readers, again kindly google the name: Olu Atuwatse (Dom Domingo). Olu Atuwatse was the crown prince of the Bini Empire who was sent to Portugal in 1601 for advanced studies by his father,"
1. "who was the first known Nigerian graduate?" There should not be any controversy in this matter, because there is no country called Nigeria during the17th century.
2. "Olu Atuwatse was the crown prince of the Bini Empire who was sent to Portugal in 1601 for advanced studies by his father," - Which institution did he studied in Benin before seeking ADVANCED studies in Portugal?
What are you substantiating in research here relating to Nigeria?

(1) (Reply)

More Exlusive Photos As Container Falls From Ojulegba Bridge In Lagos / Secret About Libra(2 My Folow Libra Learn Abt Ya Self) / Special Force : Third Marine Commando, The Real Commando

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.