Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,510 members, 7,812,576 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent (3647 Views)

Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? / Edo Landlord Burns Down His House Over Tenants’ Refusal To Pay Rent (Video) / How Do I Tackle My Stubborn Tenants Who Has Refused To Pay His Phcn Bills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by bettercreature(m): 3:42pm On Aug 28, 2015
I have some properties like 8 flats at different places but what baffle me now is,about 5 of the tenants are not paying and the lowest is owing about 3 months rent even thou i gave the houses to an agent to help me manage them and the worse is they wont even pack out even after they were given eviction notice
please what should i do? i should just sell the building? or take law into my hand by evicting them out using soldiers
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by Nobody: 3:44pm On Aug 28, 2015
Evict them all, no time for long thing
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by 4reala(m): 3:44pm On Aug 28, 2015
Giv dem notice nah
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by bettercreature(m): 3:45pm On Aug 28, 2015
4reala:
Giv dem notice nah
I did but they wont leave
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by bettercreature(m): 3:46pm On Aug 28, 2015
HeartRobber:
Evict them all, no time for long thing
It's not easy to evict them i'm highly fraustrated
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by 4reala(m): 3:47pm On Aug 28, 2015
bettercreature:
I did but they wont leave
tak dem to the court of arbitration nah
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by bettercreature(m): 3:50pm On Aug 28, 2015
4reala:
tak dem to the court of arbitration nah
The agent who is in charge of the houses is not ready take them to court,he keep collecting eviction notice from road side shop lawyers
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by MCastle: 3:53pm On Aug 28, 2015
you need a good lawyer
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by 4reala(m): 3:54pm On Aug 28, 2015
bettercreature:
The agent who is in charge of the houses is not ready take them to court,he keep collecting eviction notice from road side shop lawyers
then dat means u ar not ready 2 evict them. Cos I no understand wether na u get d house or na agent

3 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 28, 2015
bettercreature:
It's not easy to evict them i'm highly fraustrated

Contact a lawyer
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by mayorkyzo: 3:57pm On Aug 28, 2015
I was having the same problems with my properties..someone advised me to contact a lawyer and prepare a power of attorney document...with this the lawyer is solely incharge and trust me,people fear lawyers..since then the tenants have being nothing but obedient..wish you luck...

3 Likes

Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by bettercreature(m): 3:58pm On Aug 28, 2015
4reala:
then dat means u ar not ready 2 evict them. Cos I no understand wether na u get d house or na agent
I called one of them on phone who said they didnt rent the house from me they rent it from agent
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by omoola007(m): 4:04pm On Aug 28, 2015
The problem is that half the lawyers out there are owning tenants in their own flats. so they act hungry. i have someone in the same situation.

please anyone that can recommend a good and diligent lawyer that will do the work and not act hungry. The property is in Ketu and he has up to 15 tenants in 1 and 2 bedroom flats. He wants to clear the house and renovate. Even PHCN has cut off light because tenants owe 600k yet they refuse to move. They refuse to pay tenement rate.

Please anyone that can recommend a good diligent and honest lawyer.

regard
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by 4reala(m): 4:05pm On Aug 28, 2015
bettercreature:
I called one of them on phone who said they didnt rent the house from me they rent it from agent
if ur agent is not performing, fire and hire another 1. Moreover, when agent dey give out d house him no introduce u as their landlord?
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by ahamonyeka(m): 4:25pm On Aug 28, 2015
4reala:
Giv dem notice nah
read the write up very proper.
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by dunsman(f): 4:29pm On Aug 28, 2015
Look for confirm soldiers, wey deir blood dae hot like dose ones fighting boko haram.. Report ur tenant to dem and lets see if dem no go commot
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by 4reala(m): 4:32pm On Aug 28, 2015
ahamonyeka:
read the write up very proper.
mr Teacher abi na moderator, I no sabi read nah
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by ahamonyeka(m): 4:35pm On Aug 28, 2015
4reala:
mr Teacher abi na moderator, I no sabi read nah
good for you,I thought as much.
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by bettercreature(m): 4:36pm On Aug 28, 2015
dunsman:
Look for confirm soldiers, wey deir blood dae hot like dose ones fighting boko haram.. Report ur tenant to dem and lets see if dem no go commot
And you want me to face the law when the soldiers are gone right? You might think they are poor but money will come out of nowhere to prosecute you if you oppress them,that is one bad thing about people

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by dunsman(f): 4:40pm On Aug 28, 2015
bettercreature:
And you want me to face the law when the soldiers are gone right? You might think they are poor but money will come out of nowhere to prosecute you if you oppress them,that is one bad thing about people
Who said anything about oppression?? Are soldiers used for oppression only??
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by bettercreature(m): 4:43pm On Aug 28, 2015
dunsman:

Who said anything about oppression?? Are soldiers used for oppression only??
Its called oppression when you use soldiers to evict tenants

1 Like

Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by dunsman(f): 4:47pm On Aug 28, 2015
bettercreature:
Its called oppression when you use soldiers to evict tenants
If you say so
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by PearlStreet(m): 3:42am On Aug 29, 2015
omoola007:
The problem is that half the lawyers out there are owning tenants in their own flats. so they act hungry. i have someone in the same situation.

please anyone that can recommend a good and diligent lawyer that will do the work and not act hungry. The property is in Ketu and he has up to 15 tenants in 1 and 2 bedroom flats. He wants to clear the house and renovate. Even PHCN has cut off light because tenants owe 600k yet they refuse to move. They refuse to pay tenement rate.

Please anyone that can recommend a good diligent and honest lawyer.

regard

There are two things involved. Either way, you spend money.

Legally, they are entitled to six months quit notice. If in breach of that or the notice is improperly drafted, the client would stay in your house for free till the landlord's legal team get their acts together to evict him.

There is the 'other' way too. This costs money, but is faster. This was what the FG used to eject tenants at FG properties on the island durin the monetization era.

Inform your tenants of your plan to repossess your property for renovation purposes but give them some time to leave.
The most stubborn of the tenants should be treated as described below. The others would quickly leave.

At the agreed time, get some boys to do the eviction for you. Get some soldiers on standby to monitor the situation. But before that, go to the nearest police station to 'inform' them ($£).
Once the tenants on the property hv been cleared, get a carpenter to either remove the doors or change the locks.
Then, warn the tenants that anyone found on the property would be treated as thief.

Say I'm breaking the law, but even the FG toed the same line. After all, the Court can't say the tenant should go back to my house.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by Nobody: 6:01am On Aug 29, 2015
Rent a Baba Alawo to go and "pofo", and I mean serious ones, every other Saturday morning grin
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by bettercreature(m): 6:19pm On Aug 29, 2015
PearlStreet:

There are two things involved. Either way, you spend money.

Legally, they are entitled to six months quit notice. If in breach of that or the notice is improperly drafted, the client would stay in your house for free till the landlord's legal team get their acts together to evict him.

There is the 'other' way too. This costs money, but is faster. This was what the FG used to eject tenants at FG properties on the island durin the monetization era.

Inform your tenants of your plan to repossess your property for renovation purposes but give them some time to leave.
The most stubborn of the tenants should be treated as described below. The others would quickly leave.

At the agreed time, get some boys to do the eviction for you. Get some soldiers on standby to monitor the situation. But before that, go to the nearest police station to 'inform' them ($£).
Once the tenants on the property hv been cleared, get a carpenter to either remove the doors or change the locks.
Then, warn the tenants that anyone found on the property would be treated as thief.

Say I'm breaking the law, but even the FG toed the same line. After all, the Court can't say the tenant should go back to my house.
I am just plaining to evict them by force using soldiers,people say i should do it nothing will happen but i fear been killed by assassins i value my life
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by bettercreature(m): 6:21pm On Aug 29, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Rent a Baba Alawo to go and "pofo", and I mean serious ones, every other Saturday morning grin
You are very funny,people would think the owner did money ritual,it doesnt take long before people give a bad name to a house
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 29, 2015
bettercreature:
You are very funny,people would think the owner did money ritual,it doesnt take long before people give a bad name to a house

Tell me, what is the value of the house now to the owner?

N0.
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by bettercreature(m): 6:29pm On Aug 29, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Tell me, what is the value of the house now to the owner?

N0.
No value oo Its just sad! It was an investment not inheritance,the houses are just 6years old,i'm just regretting i didnt use the money to build hotel
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by Nobody: 6:37pm On Aug 29, 2015
bettercreature:
I have some properties like 8 flats at different places but what baffle me now is,about 5 of the tenants are not paying and the lowest is owing about 3 months rent even thou i gave the houses to an agent to help me manage them and the worse is they wont even pack out even after they were given eviction notice
please what should i do? i should just sell the building? or take law into my hand by evicting them out using soldiers

I just sent you a pm
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by Nobody: 6:49pm On Aug 29, 2015
bettercreature:
No value oo Its just sad! It was an investment not inheritance,the houses are just 6years old,i'm just regretting i didnt use the money to build hotel

Exactly.

Desperate times requires desperate measures.

Okay just go to the motor park and make friends with "Baraka" and always invite him and his friends there for drinks at all hours of the day. Become a general nuisance.
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by laudate: 8:26pm On Aug 29, 2015
So a landlord should not enjoy the fruits of his labour, abi?? Nonsense. angry Some of these tenants that refuse to pay rent, buy fresh tokunbo cars every other year, travel at the drop of a hat, and purchase the latest lace fabric for every happening party.

Fire your agent or care-taker. Immediately. He is in cahoots with the defaulting tenants. Get a new agent, and a sharp property lawyer. All of you should go together, to meet the tenants on a pre-appointed day. angry

Draft a fresh 3-6 months eviction notice and serve each of the defaulting tenants. Once the eviction notice expires, do not hesitate; just head for the courts and put bailiffs on standby. Or you can do the 'Jankara' method. shocked If all else fails, resort to prayer and fasting!

You can't even try this kind of thing with my former landlord, oh! He go remove the roof make rain beat you well-well, before he gives you a written eviction notice. grin
Re: Please How Can I Deal With Tenants Who Are Not Paying Rent by PearlStreet(m): 11:36pm On Aug 29, 2015
bettercreature:
I am just plaining to evict them by force using soldiers,people say i should do it nothing will happen but i fear been killed by assassins i value my life

Lol.
I understand your fears. However, it is not all battles you fight yourself.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Filling Station For Sale At Berger-Lagos -Ibadan Express Way / Plots Of Land With C/O At Off Akobo, Ojurin Ibadan. Price: #1.5M. / Shower Enclosures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.