Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,056 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:40 PM

Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker (3071 Views)

Microsoft Lumia 550 (4G LTE) For Sale @ 12k / How To Download Heavy Apps On Microsoft Lumia Phone Without Wifi / Microsoft Lumia 650 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 11:08pm On Aug 28, 2015
Hello people, here is my honest /unbiased review of the Lumia 640 XL dual sim, I have been using the phone for over 3 months now, so I decided to do a review now, better late than never. for those of you intending to get one , this is some or most of what you need to know. I hope it clears most of your doubts or questions smiley
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 11:23pm On Aug 28, 2015
[b][b]APPERANCE/DESIGN/WEIGHT

What you find in the box
• Microsoft Lumia 640XL dual sim,
• Product user guide,
• Battery,
• Charger & headset.
Microsoft decided to go with a cuboid box much thinner than the previous box of the Lumia 920 & 1520, probably to improve packing, depending on how you want to pack it. As you slide/pull open the box, behold appears the Lumia 640XL, with a height of 157.9mm, width: 81.5mm, thickness: 9mm & weighing 171g.
I discovered the phone was much lighter in the hands than I thought (very light), & the round edges make it comfortable to hold with one hand too.
Microsoft maintains the plastic casing on the Lumia line even with this phone. The Phone chassis with its 5.7inches screen, seats in a removable/excheagble plastic cover. The back pops off, so you can replace the battery (Yes replaceable battery), add the SIMs and slot in a microSD if you want to. It's a sign of the device's robustness, this is not a phone that's going to mind a scratch, the replaceable cover has a very nice coarse feel to the palm due to the matte finish, rather than a glossy finish. Glossy finish are nice to the eyes, but are not nice for handling, leaving finger prints all around & risk of slipping from your hands too. The excheagble cover comes in blue, white, black & orange colors, the orange colors look good, it makes the phone very catchy to the eyes, ladies would love that color.
I noticed here Microsoft decide to go with a replaceable battery (3000mAh) too, not what we are used to on the lumia line (920, 1520, 930, etc.)
From the removable back to the volume and power buttons, the Lumia 640 XL has a feeling of cheapness, but it's not quite as negative as that sounds. It's solidly put together, despite the low-grade materials, and no doubt some users will enjoy having a phone that can get bashed about a bit. It’s also distinctly Lumia, with a raised camera lens module, edges that are curved and rounded, and a choice of colors for the back casing. As usual, the 3.5mm headphone jack sits atop the device, while the microUSB connector port is positioned underneath. The power and volume buttons sit on the right, with the power button lowest, as is the norm for Lumias.
[/b]

Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 11:40pm On Aug 28, 2015
[b]Lumia 640 XL has a screen resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels. That takes the PPI sharpness down to 259, but it's not a bad screen to look at: like most Lumia displays I've seen, the colors are bright and engaging and everything on the interface looks sharp enough. It also comes with Cornin gorilla glass 3, yes Gorilla glass 3! I have been using this phone for more than 3 months, & I must confess I can see a few scratches though, even though it has never dropped & I have been also very careful with handling.
One thing I find not so good about this phone, is the fact that even with the size of the phone, Microsoft did not include a hard button for the camera like in the 920, 925, 1020, 930, 1520 etc, all you get are the power button at the middle & the volume buttons above that. It’s so annoying, that I have to tap the screen when taking shots.
But hey with a battery capacity of 3000mAh, that’s enough juice to take you through a day & maybe half with mild browsing, chatting/social networking etc. as long as none of your lines is a hot line.
[/b]

Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 12:43am On Aug 29, 2015
MEMORY

The Lumia 640 XL comes with 1GB Ram & 8GB of internal memory (that’s poor), but hey! It comes with expandable memory of up to 128GB & some cloud free storage of 30GB, that’s fair if you asking me, considering the price of the phone. (I got this one for 50k as at May 2015).

Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 2:12am On Aug 29, 2015
[b]PROCESSOR

It comes with the Qualcomm snapdragon 400 processor, with quad core & clock rate of 1200MHz. yes it’s not the snapdragon 800 that ships with the 1520, but it can also handle or do some heavy lifting, especially with the fact that windows 8 OS is light & as such doesn’t really need a beast to carry it. The Snapdragon 400 processor brings high end user experience to mid-high range smartphones & tablets such as 4GLTE support, Video capture & play back at 1080p HD & high resolution photos with up to 13.5mega pixels. It’s the same processor that powers the Lumia 1320, HTC one Remix, LG G3 Vigor, HTC Desire 610 & Alcatel Onetourch.
I am not a mobile gamer, I prefer gaming on PC or console, but I did try City Racing & Temple Runner on this device & it was more than smooth, unless off course you’re a hard core mobile gamer. I also tried to work on some word & PowerPoint documents while also browsing on the native browser (Internet explorer 11) & there were no lags or freezing, neither did it get hot.
[/b]

Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by StarboyMichael(m): 5:54am On Aug 29, 2015
Nice review, how much is this phone now
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 6:09am On Aug 29, 2015
StarboyMichael:
Nice review, how much is this phone now

Thanks . Am sure within 42K - 46K range one could pick it up now . like I said I got mine for 50K, back in May
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 6:27am On Aug 29, 2015
[b]OPERATING SYSTEM

The Lumia 640 XL dual sim ships with Windows phone 8.1 with Lumia Denim. I never really liked the Windows phone 7 OS, it was a bit chunky & complex & slow (certain devices), when compared to the old Windows mobile 5, 6, & 6.5 OS. Microsoft somehow improved on that with the Windows phone 8. Its fast, fluid & light weight with better social media integration, especially with the “people app tool”, where it brings all your social media activity all on one platform, as long as you are signed in off course. Let’s not forget the “live tiles”, I love it! See the different apps tiles change with new information in real time, lovely! It adds to the beauty of the OS. But I must warn you, to enjoy this, you must be constantly hooked up to the internet either through wifi or a constant running mobile internet data plan. Less I forget, there is also “Cortana”, your very own personal digital assistant, she easily integrates herself into your calendar & agenda, she studies your habits including movements (where you go/visit), & she gathers all these information analyze them & provide you with informed recommendations, all theses Cortana can achieve with just a voice prompt, she can remind you to buy petrol for your generator or pick up drinking water just before you get home. Yes Cortana is that good!
[/b]

Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by sats: 6:27am On Aug 29, 2015
50k for 1g ram, 8gb storage? shocked now thats a rip off

1 Like

Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by gidjah(m): 6:34am On Aug 29, 2015
The shape is really tempting o, using a 710 version , very strong and still counting.though the shape wor wor unlike your 640.no sd card sef,but the phone is pretty smart and strong.windows phone till eternity .i phone all d way too till end of times
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by gidjah(m): 6:37am On Aug 29, 2015
1 GB ram too poor though,but that cortana, is it an app,can I get it on my 710version pls?
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 6:40am On Aug 29, 2015
sats:
Yeah you may be right,..but you forgot to add the 5.7inch display, 1.2 ghz quad snap dragron 400 processor, 13mega pizel back camera with with auto focus & led flash, 5 mp HD front camera for good selfies, a 3000mAh battery capacity & free office 365 for a year.
Now that's not a bad deal if you ask me tongue smiley
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 6:46am On Aug 29, 2015
gidjah:
1 GB ram too poor though,but that cortana, is it an app,can I get it on my 710version pls?
yeah Cortana is a Microsoft owned app, it is available for all phones running windows 8 & above operating software,.....& smiley surprisingly, in a bid to get the android & IOS fans , Microsoft has / is intending to release Cortana to Android & Apple cool
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 6:56am On Aug 29, 2015
[b]Yeah yeah, I agree there are not so much apps in the Microsoft mobile store when compared with Android, Iphone or BB apps store, but it all depends on individual preference, some of us are ok with whats there, while some of us are not, but I bet you most of your major apps (FB, BBM, Instagram, twitter, dropbox, filemanager, etc) you use in your Android/Iphone & BBM are very much available in the Microsoft phone/mobile store.
And yes I know Android phones are very much customizable when compared to windows phone, but that’s partly because the Android OS is a much more open OS, allowing for more tweaks here & there. But not to worry, with certain apps like Tile Art, Blur, Circle Tilepark etc. you can still make your home screen look cool, like some I do have here.
With the release of Windows Mobile 10 in a few months’ time, Microsoft has promised more improvement & excitement for windows phone users, & they have also promised the Lumia 640 series would be among the first Lumia phones to receive the new OS when due (October), let’s just hope that they keep to their words.
[/b]

Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by sats: 7:35am On Aug 29, 2015
dabosuker:

Yeah you may be right,..but you forgot to add the 5.7inch display, 1.2 ghz quad snap dragron 400 processor, 13mega pizel back camera with with auto focus & led flash, 5 mp HD front camera for good selfies, a 3000mAh battery capacity & free office 365 for a year.
Now that's not a bad deal if you ask me tongue smiley

5.7" thats some big screen, hey not bad
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 8:22am On Aug 29, 2015
[b]CAMERA

One of the first things people of today do when they get their hands on a new phone is to try out the camera. The handset sports a Carl Zeiss lens on the center of its back. Inside is a 13-megapixel sensor, and the aperture is rated at f/2.0. 13 mega pixels is a whole lot to take a nice picture, especially if you know what you are doing, it also comes with auto focus but not with Xenon Flash Yes! But hey Led Flash is not bad. The 640 XL does not boast the best camera software on a phone ever, but it comes with intriguing features like burst mode, HDR capabilities, and something called Dynamic Flash. This feature captures images automatically both with and without flash, giving you the power to decide the balance between the two shots afterwards. It also comes with the Lumia story teller app, where u watch your pictures taken roll by with background music & offcouse my favorite!... living Images... Where you can watch those pictures you have taken, come back to life, allowing you to experience the moment again & again. Living images is a nice one from Microsoft, am yet to see anyone who came across it & didn’t love it, I usually use it to woo the ladies & brag when ever I meet people using other phone types.
[/b]

Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by martineverest(m): 8:28am On Aug 29, 2015
sats:
1gb ram in Lumia phones is far better than Android phones with 2gb ram. this is because the operating system is smooth and it s not a resource hog like Android.iphpne 6is also1gbram phone

1 Like

Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by martineverest(m): 8:31am On Aug 29, 2015
dabosuker:

Thanks . Am sure within 42K - 46K range one could pick it up now . like I said I got mine for 50K, back in May
the price have gone higher...57k in most places
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 8:35am On Aug 29, 2015
martineverest:
the price have gone higher...57k in most places
Are you serious ? wow!. shocked..ok if you say so
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by martineverest(m): 8:38am On Aug 29, 2015
the most amazing thing about this phone is the battery
after about 4to 6 hours of heavy browsing, the battery percentage reduces by 10 to 16%; the battery %only reduces by6tp8% after watching a movie
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by martineverest(m): 8:40am On Aug 29, 2015
yeah,
dabosuker:
Are you serious ? wow!. shocked..ok if you say so
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 8:50am On Aug 29, 2015
martineverest:
yeah,
Interesting, Nice phone though , its a steal
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 8:54am On Aug 29, 2015
The camera on the Lumia 640 XL is not a Pure View camera, like what you have in the 920, 925, 1020, 930 & 1520, but it can do a pretty good job, but not as good as its Pure View cousins especially under low light conditions when all settings are on “Auto”, but if you are good with cameras and how to tweak the settings to different conditions to get the best possible shots, you can also get mind blowing pictures even under low light conditions with this camera.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by martineverest(m): 8:59am On Aug 29, 2015
[quote author=dabosuker post=37450592]
Interesting, Nice phone though , its a steal [/yeah, but the only quote] turn off is the low PPI of the screen, which is ok for a mid-range phone. mine was stolen last month, though
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 9:23am On Aug 29, 2015
CONCLUSION

The Lumia 640XL is not the best smart Phone in town, but it is very far from the worst, I do not have much against it, apart from the size of the internal memory (8gb), the absence of a hard button for the camera angry, & the fact that I have to place the phone on its face in order to get the best from its speakers angry, but I forgive the Engineers in Microsoft for that , for giving it a 3000mAh battery smiley, a 5.7inch screen & a whooping 13mp rear & 5mp HD front camera kiss.
If you need a mid-range smartphone with high end specs, or if you need a high end phone without digging too deep into your pocket, then the Microsoft Lumia 640 XL dual sim is the Smart Phone for you grin smiley wink.

Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by sats: 9:28am On Aug 29, 2015
martineverest:
1gb ram in Lumia phones is far better than Android phones with 2gb ram. this is because the operating system is smooth and it s not a resource hog like Android.iphpne 6is also1gbram phone

interesting, i see. good info, thumbs up
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 9:31am On Aug 29, 2015
[quote author=martineverest post=37450846][/quote]
yeah you right, low PPI ..but like we said , its a mid ranger. grin
sorry about your Phone
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by martineverest(m): 9:53am On Aug 29, 2015
dabosuker:
yeah you right, low PPI ..but like we said , its a mid ranger. grin sorry about your Phone
no probs
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by gidjah(m): 2:14pm On Aug 29, 2015
dabosuker:

yeah Cortana is a Microsoft owned app, it is available for all phones running windows 8 & above operating software,.....& smiley surprisingly, in a bid to get the android & IOS fans , Microsoft has / is intending to release Cortana to Android & Apple cool
so i can download it on my Lumia 710(7.5windos)Abi?
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by dabosuker(m): 3:52pm On Aug 29, 2015
gidjah:
so i can download it on my Lumia 710(7.5windos)Abi?
Ooups ! embarassed sorry dear, that would not be possible , Cortana is only available for phones running at least windows phone 8, your current phone nokia lumia 710, can not be updated to windows phone 8, let alone 8.1, due to the hardware capabilities , the best update you can do is from windows phone 7 which your phone came with , to windows phone 7.8, & windows phone 7.8 OS does not come with Cortana.
sorry if you must use cortana , you must upgrade your phone to a Lumia that can run the windows phone 8.1 OS, & your Nokia lumia 710, is not among such smartphones. embarassed
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by jabberjawz: 4:04pm On Aug 29, 2015
Still not satisfied with ur reviews......how about attaching more than one document to your email,.....handling & saving pdf files offline without signing up to pdf online, attaching files without going through hassles of a cloud storage isssh........nokia had some lapses in that aspect......dunno if Microsoft worked on dat aspect of d new generation lumia series......
Re: Microsoft Lumia 640XL Review, Rather Late Than Never By Dabosuker by gidjah(m): 4:06pm On Aug 29, 2015
[ ( =dabosuker post=37462801]
Ooups ! embarassed sorry dear, that would not be possible , Cortana is only available for phones running at least windows phone 8, your current phone nokia lumia 710, can not be updated to windows phone 8, let alone 8.1, due to the hardware capabilities , the best update you can do is from windows phone 7 which your phone came with , to windows phone 7.8, & windows phone 7.8 OS does not come with Cortana.
sorry if you must use cortana , you must upgrade your phone to a Lumia that can run the windows phone 8.1 OS, & your Nokia lumia 710, is not among such smartphones. embarassed[/quote]don't tell me I entered one chance o!.i actually bough the phone as a fairly used so can't say much about the phone .

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Is How You Can Crash Your Friend’s Whatapp Just By Sending Smileys / Jiji Are Now Something Else / Cubot J3 Is The Cheapest Smartphone With Face ID That Cost 21,000 Naira.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.