Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,292 members, 7,836,281 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Politics In Nigeria Today, Have We Forgotten Our History? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Politics In Nigeria Today, Have We Forgotten Our History? (466 Views)

Sanusi: Zamfara Started Sharia In Nigeria, Today It Has The Highest Poverty Rate / Why Igbos Are Out Of Mainstream Politics In Nigeria / Buhari Arrives In Nigeria Today After 10-day Medical Trip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Politics In Nigeria Today, Have We Forgotten Our History? by bandonfestus: 4:08pm On Aug 29, 2015
Remember this anthem, Nigeria we hail thee, though tribes and tongues may differ in brotherhood we stand. Please I wish to ask this questions from all patriotic Nigerians in the diaspora and at home. Are we really ready to accept that fundamental changes we have been clamouring for in our motherland Nigeria?

In the era of the late former NAFDAC chairperson/ Minister of Information and Communications late Prof. Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR), we had a slogan titled "Nigeria good people and great nation". Is this slogan really true of our nation state Nigeria.

I asked this question today because am a Nigerian in the diaspora who believes that the change we all yearned for has really come to stay. Please my fellow Nigerians let us put sentiments, tribalism, politics and witch-hunting aside for us all to help Buhari re-brand Nigerian and to put us back in the preeminent positions we once enjoyed when the times and the thoughts and the people i.e. Nigerians and our past leaders who fought relentlessly for our most cherished platinum independent in 1960/63 when thoughts and patriotic effort were made by our departed conscientious and dynamic elder statesmen made concerted effort through constitutional conferences i.e. the Clifford constitutional conference, Sir Richard constitutional conference, MacPharson constitional conference and the Leetonton constitutional conference which finally placed Nigeria as a free nation through our 1960 independent/1963 Republicanism which brought absolute political freedom and cultural freedom but not economic freedom.

Let us remember our fallen heroes some are dead and some are living; Tafawa Balewa, Sir Ahmadu Bello, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Sir Akintola, Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe, Sir Anthony Enahoro, Chief Odumegwu Ojukwu.

Please let find out what happened to the legacies and tremendous efforts made by these aforementioned heroes before the era of the military junta the late Agunyi Ironsi, and the living General Yakubu Gowon who served Nigeria during the oil boom. Remember the late Muritala Mohammed and the living Chief General Olusegun Obasanjo (Baba Iyabo).

I weep and mourn for my great country Nigeria as a visually impaired international human right legal luminary living in the diaspora today. If given the chance I wish to go and serve in Buhari's government as a special adviser in all ramification of governance in Nigeria preferably in the area of advocacy and provisions for people with physical challenges i.e. disabilities, sight lost, wheel chair bound people, hearing impaired and others.

Please let us give Buhari and Oshibanjo and their teams to rule and reign in Nigeria without fear or favour as patriotic persons because in the words of Buhari; "I am for everybody and I am for nobody".

This word speaks volumes. GOD bless our great country Nigeria, please friends, patriot and comrades let us have a conversation on these salient issues I have raised.

Festus Peters Asemota aka Festypee
A product of UNILAG, a great Akokite and a former student unionist now a local politician in the Republic of Ireland.
Re: Politics In Nigeria Today, Have We Forgotten Our History? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 29, 2015
sad

(1) (Reply)

Niger Govt Sets Up C’ttee On 100 Days In Office, Lists 56 Achievements / 24 Things President Jonathan ACHIEVED In His First 100 Days / APC Currently Have The Worst Performing Governors In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.