Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,649 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt (4053 Views)

"They Deceived Us, No Food" – Soldiers On Why They Went On Rampage In Sambisa / Gunshots As Soldiers Go On Rampage In Borno / Ex-Militants On Rampage In Rivers/Bayelsa (happening Now) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by BishopMagic: 9:54am On Aug 31, 2015
In describing the Nigerian Middle Belt, Wallace (1902) observe:

"In Nassarawa country, a once fertile and populous province, one can only view the remains and ruins of large and totally deserted towns, bearing witness to the desolation wrought by 100 years of internecine strife and slave-raiding by the Fulani."
(W. Wallace [1902] quoted in Sciortino 1920:5)

Today, nothing has changed!

Online Reference: http://www.rogerblench.info/Anthropology/Africa/The%20present%20in%20the%20past.pdf (pg: 6)

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by BishopMagic: 9:58am On Aug 31, 2015
Wilson-Haffenden (1930:45), commenting on the impact of slaving on plains settlements in Nassarawa Province, says;

"The remaining inhabitants of such towns fled to the hills in all directions; those who approached the eastern and north-eastern confines of the Province, until they learned how to defend themselves, were further raided by the Headhunting tribes who inhabit these hilly localities. … Such was the state of the Province when the arrival of Sir Frederick Lugard put a stop to the slave-raiding, and evolved law and
order out of chaos and ruin".

(Sciortino 1920:5)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by BishopMagic: 10:05am On Aug 31, 2015
Open country made a permanent relocation to the hills more difficult, and many peoples had to resort to hiding in caves to escape the mounted raiders. In 1979, the Gbari peoples west of modern-day Suleja (previously Abuja and a notorious slaving centre) were still able to identify the caves formerly used a refuges in the slaving era.

The Berom of the Jos Plateau, for example, built compounds entered by passing through a maze of narrow tunnels, with blind alleys and misleading passages, enabling the inhabitants to attack horsemen.

A related consequence of the slave trade was to establish outposts of Hausa traders in zongos all across the Middle Belt (James n.d.). Towns such as Keffi and Kontagora became important centres for the slavers and thus more general hubs of trade routes and so were eventually converted into chiefdoms (Hogben & Kirk-Greene 1966). In Adamawa, the Fulɓe remained dominant in the towns while even Kanuri settlements such as Lafia were retained (Sciortino 1920). These in turn became important economic centres, serving long-distance trade, increasingly foodstuffs, as the urbanisation following colonial rule increased demand from the cities. Another aspect of the transformation of the Middle Belt was the establishment of rinji or slave settlements within the territories of the indigenous populations (Hill 1976). These were inhabited by a core of Fulɓe and rumada or settled slaves (Bruce 1982). The rumada were slaves who no longer retained an ethnic identity and so were
less likely to run away
. Slave settlements could not be maintained without the consent of the local populations, since such villages would be too vulnerable to attack. In the case of Gindiri, south of the Jos Plateau, the rinji became the focus of a trade between the local Fyem [=Pyem] people and the Hausa. More strikingly, an important source of the slaves was not raiding but purchases from other nearby ethnic groups.
Bruce (1982:193-194) cites examples of Ngas and Zaar [=Sayawa] men selling their daughters for cash to increase their social status.
Males were not sold in this way, but the Fyem apparently engaged in the kidnapping of children on bush paths for transformation into slaves (see also Machunga n.d.).

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by BishopMagic: 10:18am On Aug 31, 2015
Nigeria is truly a slave nation.

Lord Lugard's only reasons for adopting indirect rule in the north were:

1. The fear of a power vacuum resulting from the abolishing of the Caliphate system which most likely will usher in a revolutionary Mahdist movement against the small British forces administering a colony of 30,0000 sq miles united under an extremist Islamic ideology. Lugard thus had no option than to appoint successors to the overthrown traditional establishments and provide much needed legitimacy and backing.

2. Slavery was well entrenched in the north and the only way to make money from the region was to rely on the Hausa-Fulani merchants and Oligarchs who employed slave labor in their farms. The Hausa merchants supplied local produce to the trading board who in turn supplied imported goods back to them for distribution. This why slavery persisted in the north up till the 1930's.

The embarrassing reality was that slavery in Nigeria underwent a ‘slow death’, to use the opportune term of Hogendorn and Lovejoy (1993). Although Lugard’s pronouncements in the early post-conquest period seemed to suggest it would no longer be tolerated, it was evidently difficult to simply halt the process in northern Nigeria in view of how deeply it was embedded (Ubah 1991). Moreover, and this is part of the ambiguity of the colonial attitude, it was necessary to keep traditional rulers on board as part of a longer term strategy to counter real or imagined radicalism. Klein (1998) records similar problematic attitudes in the Francophone regions of West Africa. Even relative liberals such as Temple (1918) argued that the system of domestic slavery should not be summarily dismantled. Slaves whose original ethnic identity had been abolished were still working within the Hausa system in the first quarter of the twentieth century (Figure 10). A decree finally abolishing slavery was only promulgated in 1936, although by this time, almost all those former slaves who maintained an ethnic identity had left for their home area (Olusanya 1966).

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by LeOstrich: 7:58am On Sep 22, 2015
And some fools will call it change to have a sectional despotic bigot Fulani man as their furhrer.

Change my azz.

Southwest should not complain about Olu Falae

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by OZAOEKPE(f): 8:03am On Sep 22, 2015
"master-slave relationship".

7 Likes

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by Fulaman198(m): 8:06am On Sep 22, 2015
LeOstrich:
And some fools will call it change to have a sectional despotic bigot Fulani man as their furhrer.

Change my azz.

Southwest should not complain about Olu Falae

You are a hypocrite. Plain and simple look at your own signature before calling people bigots.
Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by LeOstrich: 8:07am On Sep 22, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

Your average yoruba man is a fool.

Them think say nah Jonathan and ND plus ibos them dey do not knowing that they are sealing their slave bond with the north because as things stand we in the better south want nothing whatsoever to do with them.

Let them get ready for their Arewastan Islamic Republic.

Slaves

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by LeOstrich: 8:09am On Sep 22, 2015
Fulaman198:

You are a hypocrite. Plain and simple look at your own signature before calling people bigots.

Fark off my mentions you muslim filth.

People are dying in the hands of your rabid fellow mad muslims and the only thing you care about is my signature?

Bloody fool

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by Fulaman198(m): 8:14am On Sep 22, 2015
LeOstrich:

Fark off my mentions you muslim filth.

People are dying in the hands of your rabid fellow mad muslims and the only thing you care about is my signature?

Bloody fool

A bigot like you is best left in a remote part of the world in order to search for a key component (a brain).
Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by LeOstrich: 8:19am On Sep 22, 2015
Fulaman198:

A bigot like you is best left in a remote part of the world in order to search for a key component (a brain).

Go and preach to your fellow muslim filth up north

Hypocrite fool

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by Fulaman198(m): 8:21am On Sep 22, 2015
LeOstrich:

Go and preach to your fellow muslim filth up north

Hypocrite fool

It's really sad that you never got a proper education. I can see where your anger stems from. Sorry about your extremely low IQ level. I won't bother you again.

2 Likes

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by truefact: 8:48am On Sep 22, 2015
Fulaman198:

It's really sad that you never got a proper education. I can see where your anger stems from. Sorry about your extremely low IQ level. I won't bother you again.
My question to you...why do you evil lots like to be in the same country with those who never got proper education and have extremely low IQ? Why? Evil hypocrites

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by Fulaman198(m): 9:00am On Sep 22, 2015
truefact:

My question to you...why do you evil lots like to be in the same country with those who never got proper education and have extremely low IQ? Why? Evil hypocrites

Evil? Are you talking about yourself? The man in the mirror. Because if you honestly can't see how you have been behaving this entire thread, I don't know what to tell you. Sorry to say that. I hope that one day you wake up. But sadly, some people aren't destined to wake up to reality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by tucky200(m): 9:18am On Sep 22, 2015
Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by AntiMahdi: 8:05am On May 03, 2016
Fulaman198:

Typical boko.

Rather than condemn you defend .

This is the sad reality we are facing in Nigeria with this Fulani Islamic barbarian hordes.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by cckris: 8:20am On May 03, 2016
History should be compulsory in Nigerian High Schools.

6 Likes

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by Fulaman198(m): 9:03am On May 03, 2016
AntiMahdi:

Typical boko.

Rather than condemn you defend .

This is the sad reality we are facing in Nigeria with this Fulani Islamic barbarian hordes.

Of course someone with mud for a brain doesn't get it. So let me reiterate my points.

1. I condemn any type of murderous actions of civilians
2. However, I don't believe the people who are killing innocent civilians are Fulani, why? You have seen their pictures do they LOOK Fulani to you?
3. What is 1 + 1?
Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by CyberWolf: 9:09am On May 03, 2016
grin grin
Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by cckris: 2:54pm On May 03, 2016
Fulaman198:

2. However, I don't believe the people who are killing innocent civilians are Fulani, why? You have seen their pictures do they LOOK Fulani to you?
This is Agatu 2016.
Picture 2

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by Fulaman198(m): 4:26pm On May 03, 2016
cckris:

This is Agatu 2016.
Picture 2

I'm not going to waste my time arguing, so I'll ask again, from a physical features point of view, does #2 look like Fulani people to you?
Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by beejaay: 12:38pm On May 04, 2016
BishopMagic:
In describing the Nigerian Middle Belt, Wallace (1902) observe:

"In Nassarawa country, a once fertile and populous province, one can only view the remains and ruins of large and totally deserted towns, bearing witness to the desolation wrought by 100 years of internecine strife and slave-raiding by the Fulani."
(W. Wallace [1902] quoted in Sciortino 1920:5)

Today, nothing has changed!

Online Reference: http://www.rogerblench.info/Anthropology/Africa/The%20present%20in%20the%20past.pdf (pg: 6)
Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by TheDevilIsALai: 8:36am On Mar 20, 2018
The Fulani are a curse!

1 Like

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by Turantula(m): 9:41am On Mar 20, 2018
Fulaman198:

Of course someone with mud for a brain doesn't get it. So let me reiterate my points.

1. I condemn any type of murderous actions of civilians
3. What is 1 + 1?

Evil Evil Evil. Soon and very soon all of you EVIL Fulani will be deported to Futa Jalon where you belong

2 Likes

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by horsepower101: 10:01am On Mar 20, 2018
Most people don't know that it was in the 1930s that the British ended human chattel slavery in the north. That is less than 100 years ago.

Even though it was ended officially physically, they assured the Fulanis continue their political slavery of the north by rigging the census towards independence and not breaking up the north like they did to the south.

2 Likes

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by InfiniteLoopx: 10:13am On Mar 20, 2018
This is the same people Dave Umahi is romancing with. Oh God, please save Ebonyi state. cry

1 Like

Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by BishopMagic: 10:00pm On Jul 14, 2019
Fulaman198:

Fulani are the vermin of Nigeria
Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by RichBoy247: 10:07pm On Jul 14, 2019
OZAOEKPE:

Yes, Hausa - Igbo e.g. Tafawa Balewa - Nnamdi Azikiwe, Shehu Shagari - Alex Ekwueme, Yar'Adua - Goatluck Jonathan.
Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by RichBoy247: 10:08pm On Jul 14, 2019
TheDevilIsALai:
The Fulani are a curse!

Not as cursed as your tribe
Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by RichBoy247: 10:10pm On Jul 14, 2019
LeOstrich:

Them think say nah Jonathan and ND plus ibos them dey do not knowing that they are sealing their slave bond with the north because as things stand we in the better south want nothing whatsoever to do with them.

Slaves

You call Yorubas fool, what do we call the unfortunate people that gave birth to a demonic nincompoop like you?
Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by RichBoy247: 10:11pm On Jul 14, 2019
horsepower101:
Most people don't know that it was in the 1930s that the British ended human chattel slavery in the north. That is less than 100 years ago.

Even though it was ended officially physically, they assured the Fulanis continue their political slavery of the north by rigging the census towards independence and not breaking up the north like they did to the south.

Didn't Igbos and Yorubas also trade in Slaves? Is there any country in the world that did not trade in Slaves in the past? Even your Bible supports Slave trade and there has not been a contrary instruction against Slave trade by the Bible till today
Re: 1902 Quote On Fulani Rampage In The Middle Belt by BishopMagic: 10:41pm On Jul 14, 2019
LeOstrich:

Slaves

(1) (2) (Reply)

Finally Aljazeera Reports About Biafra (video) / See Photos #FREEZAKZAKY Protest Hold At ABU Main Campus / Obaseki Won't Win Any Local Government In Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.