Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:06 AM

Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” (33294 Views)

Game Of Thrones Season 7 Episode 6 Discussion (Terrible Spoilers!) / VIDEO: Will Smith Lashed For His Fake Nigerian Accent In Concussion / "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Emeskhalifa(m): 11:16am On Sep 01, 2015
even d DR has no Nigerian accent
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by pleiades45: 11:17am On Sep 01, 2015
bros, no one can do an igbo accent. it requires mandibles and jaw muscles the size of texas. its an accent that if you dont know what is being said you think you are being abused because it is a very aggressive and bellicose accent. no actor is capable of doing an igbo accent. however the audience for the movie is white people anyway so to whites all african accents are the same so thats what the producers are banking on

1 Like

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by redcliff: 11:19am On Sep 01, 2015
gokay11:
What did you expect,it is not as if he was born here
are you minding the op? Somepeople can just drink panadol for no sickness at all
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Patented: 11:19am On Sep 01, 2015
Almost every movie that necessitates a Nigerian accent by an American actor/actress ends up sounding East African.

we must first debunk the myth of "the Nigerian Accent" the average NIgerian either speaks with no readily identifiable accent as such or speaks with the Accent associated with his/her tribe. which means that in NIgeria there are many accents. Hausa, Ibo, Yoruba, Calabar, Tiv, Benin etc eve within each of these you have minor variations. so it is therefore foolhardy to seek for a universal Nigerian Accent

1 Like

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 01, 2015
He wasn't perfect, but he was awesome. Really he was
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by pleiades45: 11:22am On Sep 01, 2015
bad acting. will smith is played out. he need to go retire
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by CSTR2: 11:22am On Sep 01, 2015
Chiwetel ejiofor would have been the best fit for this movie.
He is A-list and has the requisite igbo accent that the movie unsuccessfully tried to portray .
Btw, there is nothing like Nigerian accent. We don't all speak the same way.

1 Like

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by thoollz: 11:22am On Sep 01, 2015
gokay11:
Morgan Freeman played Mandela in Invictus, he sounded like a South african. Idris Elba played Mandela in walk to freedom , he also sounded like a South african. He's an actor, he should have rehearsed well

1 Like

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by redcliff: 11:24am On Sep 01, 2015
Antoinne:
Complain first about the many so-called american returnees played by the many terrible Nigerian actors. Why do you guys immediately demand more from a movie industry that isn't yours, yet you act as though there isn't no energy to put into the horrible nollywood you have? undecided

deine kopf is sehr gut...lol
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by tranxo(m): 11:52am On Sep 01, 2015
nex:

Will Smith stars in the new movie Concussion which is the real-life story of Nigerian-American doctor Bennet Ifekandu Omalu, the doctor who first discovered chronic traumatic encephalopathy (or CTE) after he conducted an autopsy on former NFL player Mike Webster. The movie follows Omalu’s struggle to get NFL executives to recognise the life threatening disease.

The movie is set for release in December.

While watching the movie trailer which was just released the one thing that struck me was Will Smith’s terrible “Nigerian” accent.

I do not know any Nigerian or Nigeria/American that speaks with the accent Will Smith is using in this movie. The accent sounds very East/Southern African to me. I would have expected an actor of Will Smith’s caliber to have done thorough research before taking on a movie like this and not followed the path of other mediocre actors who have also wrongly portrayed the Nigerian accent on film.

Surely it can’t be that hard to find Nigerians in America…I am disappointed…Big Willy fell my hand.

Americans need to realize Africans don’t all have the same accent…

Watch the trailer below & you decide if he nailed the Nigerian accent or not. I have also included a video of Bennet Omalu so you can listen for yourself & compare the accents.

Concussion Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk-1TLVUPZk

Dr. Bennett Omalu Speaking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOKvhcBelwQ

I rest my case…

SOURCE: http://www.that1960chick.com/2015/09/01/will-smith-has-a-really-terrible-nigerian-accent-as-he-portrays-dr-bennet-omalu-in-new-movie-concussion
There was absolutely nothing wrong with his accent. Adjust your expectations.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Christine01(f): 11:56am On Sep 01, 2015
shizzy7:
He just left Nigeria around 1993, He graduated from University of Nigeria Nsukka (Bsc)

1993 is just? shocked That is 22 years that he has been gone!

You haven't seen peeps that are gone for 3 months and they come back with full blown American accent? grin
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by simplistical: 11:57am On Sep 01, 2015
But both will and Omalu didn't sound Nigerian undecided
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by JbravoAdodger(m): 12:02pm On Sep 01, 2015
gokay11:

Lmao, u sure r right. "West philadelphia born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days!!"
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Antoinne: 12:06pm On Sep 01, 2015
redcliff:

deine kopf is sehr gut...lol
weiß ich schon.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by 400billionman: 12:08pm On Sep 01, 2015
b0y:
What happened to using David Oyelowo for this strategic role

on the other hand, i think that Will Smith is ageing UNgracefully or is it just me

He is acting Nigerian.

Hi is a smart looking guy.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Nobody: 12:11pm On Sep 01, 2015
There is nofin like a nigerian accent, there is hausa accent, igbo accent, yoruba accent, efik, ibibio accent but no nigerian accent.
Will smith tried tho
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by ManTiger(m): 12:19pm On Sep 01, 2015
They should have used Voice over or this guy.

It's simple.

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by kuuljay(m): 12:21pm On Sep 01, 2015
nairalandist:
Even Dr. Omalu himself doesn't sound like a typical Nigerian... I played both videos and I heard the way he spoke, that's like a middle-belt Nigeria accent, not the typical Nigerian City accent. Either ways, I'd say Will is a fantastic actor... I think they should have used Adewale Agbaje for the role, but it's okay, Will Smith's a bigger name so it's better for business. . .
so if middle belt nigerian accent is not then what is the typical nigerian city accent educate me pls
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Originalsly: 12:38pm On Sep 01, 2015
Hmmm.....Nigerian accent. Op...do you really believe they consider the Nigerian audience for a second? ....about getting revenue from Nigeria?...so why should they be trying to get as close as possible to a Nigerian accent? Would Americans know the difference?....would the Europeans, Japanese, Chinese or Australians know or care if the accent is close or not?....and if the accent is to your satisfaction....do you really think audiences in the major markets would understand what he is saying? ....would you be happy if he speaks like Mr Ibu.....who is a local champion mainly because of accent? Bro...generally people abroad cannot tell the difference between a Nigerian accent and a South African accent. To them...all Africans speak alike so as long as Will Smith cut his words the way he did....it is fine with the rest of the world...Grade A Nigerian accent. Hollywood is putting a Nigerian under the spotlight.....a Nigerian that has positively impacted the world with his inovation....that many did not even know about...honouring a Nigerian that most Nigerians never heard of...nor was honoured by his own...and here you are...complaining about his accent! Oh boy! ....guess you know how to bring traffic!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by itsMrIke(m): 12:49pm On Sep 01, 2015
Abeg OP go and sidon one place.

There is no one true way to interpret a Nigerian accent. What with our very diversified ethnicity which influences the way many of us speak the English language.

Maybe an Igbo accent would have sufficed considering the Doctor is an Igbo man. Then again our people have formed the habit of removing traces of accents when we speak English especially we educated ones, so we often times come off as un-Nigerian.

Even the Nigerians who have starred in Hollywood movies don't even give good Nigerian accents...Take Chiwetel Ejiofor, or the guy that acted as Ike Dubaku on 24, or the guy that acted as Mr Eko on lost.

So give the guy a rest biko!!!
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by WarHorse1(m): 12:51pm On Sep 01, 2015
b0y:

on the other hand, i think that Will Smith is ageing UNgracefully or is it just me

But Will Smith will pass for an Ibo man. Look again. LOL
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by shizzy7(f): 1:02pm On Sep 01, 2015
Christine01:

1993 is just? shocked That is 22 years that he has been gone!

You haven't seen peeps that are gone for 3 months and they come back with full blown American accent? grin
Huuu, Some Nigerians are Multifaceted every where they find themselves they will always blend with whatever they do there..

But in this movie I don't think the accent matters they are just celebrating the man and making their money

Even in Nigeria we still have different accents, that of the hausas is different from the yorubas'/igbos'
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 01, 2015
Lordave:
Accent doesn't matter, what matters most is him portraying us in good light.

Abi oh! tell them. That movie will do well in Western countries than Africa and Westerners do not know the difference btw Nigerian or Zulu accents

1 Like

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 01, 2015
I love America, the last frontier of common-sense, for common-sense.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Nobody: 1:19pm On Sep 01, 2015
Christine01:

You mean the house niggas with serious inferiority complex issues? grin grin grin
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by muscoliscious(f): 1:25pm On Sep 01, 2015
Oyeowo d james bond ?he z worse it should be hakeem or Agbaje
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by brownsug(f): 1:29pm On Sep 01, 2015
U right dude back in d days fresh prince

b0y:

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by saintfizzo(m): 1:30pm On Sep 01, 2015
realjoker:

Best inspirational story ever told.

long time ago in China, a girl named Li-Li got married and went to live with her husband and mother-in-law.

In a very short time, Li-Li found that she couldn’t get along with her mother-in-law at all. Their personalities were very different, and Li-Li was angered by many of her mother-in-law’s habits. In addition, she criticized Li-Li constantly.

Days passed days, and weeks passed weeks. Li-Li and her mother-in-law never stopped arguing and fighting. But what made the situation even worse was that, according to ancient Chinese tradition, Li-Li had to bow to her mother-in-law and obey her every wish. All the anger and unhappiness in the house was causing the poor husband great distress.

Finally, Li-Li could not stand her mother-in-law’s bad temper and dictatorship any longer, and she decided to do something about it.

Li-Li went to see her father’s good friend, Mr. Huang, who sold herbs. She told him the situation and asked if he would give her some poison so that she could solve the problem once and for all. Mr. Huang thought for a while, and finally said, “Li-Li, I will help you solve your problem, but you must listen to me and obey what I tell you.”

Li-Li said, “Yes, Mr. Huang, I will do whatever you tell me to do.” Mr. Huang went into the back room, and returned in a few minutes with a package of herbs.

He told Li-Li, “You can’t use a quick-acting poison to get rid of your mother-in-law, because that would cause people to become suspicious. Therefore, I have given you a number of herbs that will slowly build up poison in her body. Every other day prepare some delicious meal and put a little of these herbs in her serving. Now, in order to make sure that nobody suspects you when she dies, you must be very careful to act very friendly towards her. Don’t argue with her, obey her every wish, and treat her like a queen.”

Li-Li was so happy. She thanked Mr. Huang and hurried home to start her plot of murdering her mother-in-law.

Weeks went by, months went by, and every other day, Li-Li served the specially treated food to her mother-in-law. She remembered what Mr. Huang had said about avoiding suspicion, so she controlled her temper, obeyed her mother-in-law, and treated her like her own mother. After six months had passed, the whole household had changed.

Li-Li had practiced controlling her temper so much that she found that she almost never got mad or upset. She hadn’t had an argument in six months with her mother-in-law, who now seemed much kinder and easier to get along with.

The mother-in-law’s attitude toward Li-Li changed, and she began to love Li-Li like her own daughter. She kept telling friends and relatives that Li-Li was the best daughter-in-law one could ever find. Li-Li and her mother-in-law were now treating each other like a real mother and daughter.

Li-Li’s husband was very happy to see what was happening.

One day, Li-Li came to see Mr. Huang and asked for his help again. She said, “Mr. Huang, please help me to stop the poison from killing my mother-in-law! She’s changed into such a nice woman, and I love her like my own mother. I do not want her to die because of the poison I gave her.”

Mr. Huang smiled and nodded his head. “Li-Li, there’s nothing to worry about. I never gave you any poison. The herbs I gave you were vitamins to improve her health. The only poison was in your mind and your attitude toward her, but that has been all washed away by the love which you gave to her.”
If only igbos had an old man to give them that fake poison to feed their fellow nigerians and maintain peace while they heal inside.... naija will be better in 6months time
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Oblitz(m): 1:33pm On Sep 01, 2015
Faita:

At the same time, Nigerians have not done so well to maintain a unique identity. Our cultural ambassadors - the most visible people in our media: OAPs, actors/actresses, brand ambassadors like sportsmen and -women etc - do their best to obliterate the Nigerian unique sound when they talk. There is an obsession with Western accents that eventually results in the near-total loss of Nigerian uniqueness. That presents a problem for actors like Will Smith who may either never find good examples of the Nigerian accent to imitate or who may be misled by those really strange speech patterns that our ambassadors have adopted.

We could use some more national pride.

all Nigerians abroad are trying to imitate the accent there. I believe will Smith hasn't even heard the typical Nigerian accent.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by EmekaBlue(m): 1:34pm On Sep 01, 2015
Naija get money sote usa stars dey come hustle here chop pay
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by sonnie10: 1:44pm On Sep 01, 2015
To most of them, Africa is one country. I asked someone the other day what is the capital of Egypt and he replied, "Nigeria of course."

1 Like

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Lordave: 1:58pm On Sep 01, 2015
Deesick7:
The Nigerian accent is especially hard to muster. I dnt really blame him if he couldn't speak it up to par. U try to speak the American English or Russian English n ur listeners will find notable difference in ur affectation. Hw many years do you think dey shot d movie for, even David oyelowo and chiewetel Ejiofor both Nigerian but American and British based actors can't perform being a Nigerian too well. If dey want d perfect Nigerian accent, let dem cum an choose Chiewetalu Azu, Ramsey Noah or Odunlade Adekola.
grin grin grin

What of Chiewetalu Anu? cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBNaija: "Nina Is Pregnant" - Nigerians React As She Says She’s Not Feeling Well / Oluwasegun Kosemani, Jackye's Boyfriend Reacts To Her Pillow Fight With Mike / BBNaija: Nina Cries As She Is Unpaired From Miracle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.