Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,089 members, 7,957,079 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:38 AM

Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions (31286 Views)

Anglican Bishop Drags 3 Priests To Court / Stephanie Otobo's Mother Begging Apostle Suleman To Forgive Her Daughter (Video) / Pope Francis To Wash & Kiss The Feet Of 4 Nigerian Catholics, 3 Muslims,5 Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Jeromejnr(m): 6:39pm On Sep 03, 2015
Papist:

I wasnt familiar with him unfortunately. But then again lots of haters of the Church have been converted by the truth which is Christ himself. Think St Paul. Blessings brother.

Your fellow brother that went about preaching that Christ wants us penniless.

I laff. grin
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 03, 2015
italo:

Papist, what did I tell you?

Now he's back to the same scriptures he says is from a heretical source.

smiley

Jeromejnr, how can you ask for backing from a scripture you say is heretical?
Besides you already proved confession through "scripture alone". Let him use the scripture he is clamouring for, to argue against confession.
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Jeromejnr(m): 6:41pm On Sep 03, 2015
Papist:

Besides you already proved confession through "scripture alone". Let him use the scripture he is clamouring for, to argue against confession.

Please which scripture is that?
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 03, 2015
Jeromejnr:

The Talmud is a huge collection of doctrines and laws compiled and written before the 8th Century, A.D., by ancient Jewish teachers. The Talmud, which often cites the Old Testament, is the basic book of Jewish law.

Babylonian and Palestinian Talmuds
There are two editions of the Talmud; one was composed by Babylonian Jews and one by Jews who lived in ancient Jerusalem. Generally a citation from the Talmud refers to the Babylonian version, which is considered authoritative. The Jerusalem Talmud is not generally taught in even the most Orthodox Jewish schools today, though advanced Talmud scholars sometimes study it.
— Anti-Defamation League (12)

So seeing that there old testament laws came from that, I wonder what point you're trying to prove.

BTW, there are two types of Talmud. I am sure the heretical one you are referring to is the Jerusalem Talmud.

So take a chill pill and do a research before talking trash.
My brother the talmud is an anti Christian book. Thats why the talmud was burnt many times in many parts of Europe during the Middle Ages. It is full of anti Christian hate literature.
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Jeromejnr(m): 6:47pm On Sep 03, 2015
Papist:

My brother the talmud is an anti Christian book. Thats why the talmud was burnt many times in many parts of Europe during the Middle Ages. It is full of anti Christian hate literature.

Talmud is a Jewish book not a Christian book. No one ever said it was Christian. It contained the old testament laws and genealogies. Which was used partly the the Old Testament reviews.

The question you need to ask yourself is, who burnt it?
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Barywhyte(m): 6:55pm On Sep 03, 2015
Papist:

I'm glad you have read about the Catholic Church. I hope you also in your reading found that its first 30 popes starting with St Peter were all martyred by the pagan Romans. And also that this Church of Rome has been proclaimed by the apostles as the ruler and teacher of all churches due to its Petrine origins. Have you read about all its holy saints like Ignatius of Antioch, Athanasius, Augustine, Maria Goretti etc. Did you also read that the Bible that you thump at this Church was canonised, preserved and given to you by this Church?

What's your point precisely?
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Barywhyte(m): 6:59pm On Sep 03, 2015
Papist:

I'm glad you have read about the Catholic Church. I hope you also in your reading found that its first 30 popes starting with St Peter were all martyred by the pagan Romans. And also that this Church of Rome has been proclaimed by the apostles as the ruler and teacher of all churches due to its Petrine origins. Have you read about all its holy saints like Ignatius of Antioch, Athanasius, Augustine, Maria Goretti etc. Did you also read that the Bible that you thump at this Church was canonised, preserved and given to you by this Church?

And by the way, what proof can you display showing that Peter was the first pope of Roman Catholic Church? Show me that proof bro
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 03, 2015
Optimall:

Sorry but I'm not even a protestant.
A born Catholic.
Just not ok with the mess going inside the church,it's an eye sore!

They didn't fail,the protestants.
They were murdered.
In cold blood by the very people that profess to follow Jesus,your Catholic!
I abhor murderers,I just abhor them!
First, let us have it in mind that this is an online forum, where anyone can hide behind an avatar to make all manner of claims.

If I know anything about Catholicism, what makes one a genuine catholic is the complete acceptance and belief in the Apostles Creed, which is a compendium of the 12 articles of faith and the chief things the Apostles, themselves, believed in.

This creed defines the catholic faith and remains the dogma for the profession of faith in the community of God's people. To qualify as a catholic you must believe this creed in it's entirety and there's absolutely no room for the kind of cherry picking that is a commonplace in christian gathering of other folds.

So, merely being born into a catholic home is not all that is required to be called a catholic. Your claim that the catholic church murdered early proponents of new versions of faith is certainly correct, but your analysis of that event is negatively skewed mainly because of your half knowledge of history.

Before the convocation of the 2nd Vatican Council, the catholic church held stiff disposition towards any faith that runs contrary to its doctrines. In hindsight, it's easy to say that was barbaric, but at the time, it happened to be the only way the church protected the faithful from whatever was perceived as a heresy against it. Just think about God's disposition to the people of the old testament, compare that with his relationship with us in the new era and see how the catholic church have also advanced in faith and understanding.

This renewed commitment to matters of faith was clearly demonstrated by the church when it entered into a treaty with protestant in what is described in history as the"peace of Augsburg". So, what if like you the human race of this era plunges into history and charges God as a murderer for destroying the people of Sodom and Gomorrah for sins that you and I today rationalises as okay and acceptable for the modern day society.

I can go on and on, but as a general note, I would advise you to learn to read wide and avoid a little learning because it has the capacity to damage your mental faculty.

I will be happy to walk you through and lead you, if this might help you in the way to happiness.
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by bxcode(m): 8:02pm On Sep 03, 2015
MadCow1:
Popes.. Forgiving sins without dying or shedding thier blood since 01 A.D..

Even Jesus sef go dey wonder why ehn bother to die.. grin
Awesome reply!! You couldn't have said it bettergrin
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by bxcode(m): 8:05pm On Sep 03, 2015
Religion only allows you to see only what services it, that's all I can say.
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by mollie12: 10:04pm On Sep 03, 2015
Stephansmily:
Hey, y'all asking why we confess to a priest shud check -James 5:16 “Therefore, confess your sins to one another,
and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The
effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.”

Just one question for you: if a woman who commits an abortion is sincerely repentant but the priests do not forgive her sins, dies in that state, where do you presume she is going to, heaven or hell?

By saying priests have the power to forgive sins you are also saying they have the power to send people to heaven or hell. That's way too much power for a mortal being, and thanks to God such decisions belong to Him and Him alone, regardless of what the catholic or any other church might believe on this issue.

It's not just enough to post one bible verse to support a doctrine, that's not the way the bible is to be interpreted. Any one can find any verse to support their own pet doctrine, in fact a Satan worshipper can quote Luke 4:7 where the devil said "If you worship me, all will be yours" while he was tempting the Lord, as a bible verse to support his practice. To understand the letter, you must know the spirit behind the letter. Thanks be to God, we can have this revelation through Jesus Christ. All we need to do is surrender all our previously held notions on what the bible means and open ourselves up to wisdom and understanding from Him.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Stephansmily(f): 10:30pm On Sep 03, 2015
mollie12:

Just one question for you: if a woman who commits an abortion is sincerely repentant but the priests do not forgive her sins, dies in that state, where do you presume she is going to, heaven or hell?

By saying priests have the power to forgive sins you are also saying they have the power to send people to heaven or hell. That's way too much power for a mortal being, and thanks to God such decisions belong to Him and Him alone, regardless of what the catholic or any other church might believe on this issue.

It's not just enough to post one bible verse to support a doctrine, that's not the way the bible is to be interpreted. Any one can find any verse to support their own pet doctrine, in fact a Satan worshipper can quote Luke 4:7 where the devil said "If you worship me, all will be yours" while he was tempting the Lord, as a bible verse to support his practice. To understand the letter, you must know the spirit behind the letter. Thanks be to God, we can have this revelation through Jesus Christ. All we need to do is surrender all our previously held notions on what the bible means and open ourselves up to wisdom and understanding from Him.

Lol..who said priests forgive sin They never! You only confess to them, they'll relay ur confession to God..in other words they'll pray for forgiveness on ur behalf. They'll give u penance which u have to do..in other words 'prayin for urself'..Priests never ever forgive sins, only God does.
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Jeromejnr(m): 10:36pm On Sep 03, 2015
Stephansmily:

Lol..who said priests forgive sin They never! You only confess to them, they'll relay ur confession to God..in other words they'll pray for forgiveness on ur behalf. They'll give u penance which u have to do..in other words 'prayin for urself'..Priests never ever forgive sins, only God does.

You just scattered your whole doctrines that I have seen your fellows teaching here.

They used this scripture time and time again:

John 20:23 "If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained."

And one of them said the Pope is another Christ who can forgive sins based on this scripture.

So what is happening here?
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Stephansmily(f): 10:41pm On Sep 03, 2015
Jeromejnr:

You just scattered your whole doctrines that I have seen your fellows teaching here.

They used this scripture time and time again:

John 20:23 "If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained."

And one of them said the Pope is another Christ who can forgive sins based on this scripture.

So what is happening here?

Lol, whoeva sed dat is wrong. The pope is infallible, bt the pope neva forgives sin.
The scripture u quoted refers to those who wronged u..and not about humans forgiving sin. Remember the Lord's prayer..'Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who tresspass against us'
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Jeromejnr(m): 10:43pm On Sep 03, 2015
Stephansmily:

Lol, whoeva sed dat is wrong. The pope is infallible, bt the pope neva forgives sin.
The scripture u quoted refers to those who wronged u..and not about humans forgiving sin. Remember the Lord's prayer..'Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who tresspass against us'

My sister God bless you for saying that was talking of offences. I tire for all those folks up there saying what they don't understand.

But anyway, can you tell me why you just don't go to God directly for your own confession, why go to a pope?

Papist and italo come and see your fellow who shed the light on the scripture you guys quoted and learn.
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Stephansmily(f): 10:54pm On Sep 03, 2015
Jeromejnr:

My sister God bless you for saying that was talking of offences. I tire for all those folks up there saying what they don't understand.

But anyway, can you tell me why you just don't go to God directly for your own confession, why go to a pope?

Papist and italo come and see your fellow who shed the light on the scripture you guys quoted and learn.

God bless u too

No, not the pope, a priest. Derz only one pope, and he stays in Rome, so we confess to priests instead.

We Catholics
believe in the prayer of intercession, that's praying on behalf of one another. Its just like asking God to forgive ur brother for his sin..here, u're the righteous one,the one without guilt, so, u praying for him gives him a better chance in the sight of God.

See this scripture-James 5:16 “Therefore, confess your sins to one another,

Check the last sentence above...

Catholics reach out to Mother Mary to intercede for them, so also do we go to a priest to confess, the priest in turn, prays to God for us..
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Jeromejnr(m): 10:57pm On Sep 03, 2015
Stephansmily:

God bless u too

No, not the pope, a priest. Derz only one pope, and he stays in Rome, so we confess to priests instead.

We Catholics
believe in the prayer of intercession, that's praying on behalf of one another. Its just like asking God to forgive ur brother for his sin..here, u're the righteous one,the one without guilt, so, u praying for him gives him a better chance in the sight of God.

See this scripture-James 5:16 “Therefore, confess your sins to one another,

Check the last sentence above...

Catholics reach out to Mother Mary to intercede for them, so also do we go to a priest to confess, the priest in turn, prays to God for us..

So how does Mary answer the millions of prayers coming to her at the same time?

And by that last sentence, do you mean the Priest is more righteous than you?
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Stephansmily(f): 10:57pm On Sep 03, 2015
Jeromejnr:

The priest..gives u penance...on conclusion of this penance, u pray to God directly.

The priest prays..you pray also
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Stephansmily(f): 11:01pm On Sep 03, 2015
Jeromejnr:

So how does Mary answer the millions of prayers coming to her at the same time?

And by that last sentence, do you mean the Priest is more righteous than you?

In this case..yes. U are the one feeling guilty of sin, so the priest is more righteous at this point.

Priests sin too..they also confess.

We are all known as 'The Faithful'...so its just the cries of the faithful..not millions..we are one
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Jeromejnr(m): 11:02pm On Sep 03, 2015
Stephansmily:

In this case..yes. U are the one feeling guilty of sin, so the priest is more righteous at this point.

Priests sin too..they also confess.

We are all known as 'The Faithful'...so its just the cries of the faithful..not millions..we are one

So does Mary approve of your signature? grin
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Stephansmily(f): 11:05pm On Sep 03, 2015
Jeromejnr:

So does Mary approve of your signature? grin

Lol..ah aint answerinq dat..
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Jeromejnr(m): 11:07pm On Sep 03, 2015
Stephansmily:

Lol..ah aint answerinq dat..

You need to go for confession , she won't be happy.
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Stephansmily(f): 11:10pm On Sep 03, 2015
Jeromejnr:

You need to go for confession , she won't be happy.

Neva joke with this...ok?
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Jeromejnr(m): 11:15pm On Sep 03, 2015
Stephansmily:

Neva joke with this...ok?

Well, since its sacred to you no problemo.

But no one should come twist scriptures in my face. Like some folks up there.
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Stephansmily(f): 11:19pm On Sep 03, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Well, since its sacred to you no problemo.

But no one should come twist scriptures in my face. Like some folks up there.

They just misinterpreted the doctrines and teachings of the Church. Don't blame them, its kinda complicated.
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Nobody: 12:40am On Sep 04, 2015
konvict0111:
First, let us have it in mind that this is an online forum, where anyone can hide behind an avatar to make all manner of claims.

If I know anything about Catholicism, what makes one a genuine catholic is the complete acceptance and belief in the Apostles Creed, which is a compendium of the 12 articles of faith and the chief things the Apostles, themselves, believed in.

This creed defines the catholic faith and remains the dogma for the profession of faith in the community of God's people. To qualify as a catholic you must believe this creed in it's entirety and there's absolutely no room for the kind of cherry picking that is a commonplace in christian gathering of other folds.

So, merely being born into a catholic home is not all that is required to be called a catholic. Your claim that the catholic church murdered early proponents of new versions of faith is certainly correct, but your analysis of that event is negatively skewed mainly because of your half knowledge of history.

Before the convocation of the 2nd Vatican Council, the catholic church held stiff disposition towards any faith that runs contrary to its doctrines. In hindsight, it's easy to say that was barbaric, but at the time, it happened to be the only way the church protected the faithful from whatever was perceived as a heresy against it. Just think about God's disposition to the people of the old testament, compare that with his relationship with us in the new era and see how the catholic church have also advanced in faith and understanding.

This renewed commitment to matters of faith was clearly demonstrated by the church when it entered into a treaty with protestant in what is described in history as the"peace of Augsburg". So, what if like you the human race of this era plunges into history and charges God as a murderer for destroying the people of Sodom and Gomorrah for sins that you and I today rationalises as okay and acceptable for the modern day society.

I can go on and on, but as a general note, I would advise you to learn to read wide and avoid a little learning because it has the capacity to damage your mental faculty.

I will be happy to walk you through and lead you, if this might help you in the way to happiness.

Long grammer..
it's not being born in a specific religion,it's about doing the right thing within.
Half knowledge of history? Trash!
You think you know everything?
I wanna do the right thing,not believe in some sort of trash spewed out by someone who doesn't even regard me as human.
You don't know? You know Jesus followers by love. John 13:35
Can you find such love among Catholic? NEVER!
I've been there and am talking from experience.
This is how I feel. This is what I personally feel!
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Nobody: 12:40am On Sep 04, 2015
italo:

I see where your problem is.

You believe Jesus lied when he said:

"Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained."--John 20:23

And...

"And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven."--Matt 16:19

Whereas, Catholic believe he said the truth.

No surprise that an unbeliever should be at loggerheads with believers.

What has light to do with darkness?
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Nobody: 12:41am On Sep 04, 2015
italo:

I see where your problem is.

You believe Jesus lied when he said:

"Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained."--John 20:23

And...

"And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven."--Matt 16:19

Whereas, Catholic believe he said the truth.

No surprise that an unbeliever should be at loggerheads with believers.

What has light to do with darkness?

Light that detest and kill themselves,what sort of stupid light is that?
I'd rather be dark than mingle with HYPOCRITES!
People that hide who they are,I don't associate with those.
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Nobody: 12:43am On Sep 04, 2015
Papist:

Pope John Paul 2 of Blessed memory apologised in front of the world for the sins of the children of the Catholic Church. Catholic teaching condemns all sin and the murder of Protestants was evil. However it is worth to point out that thousands of Catholics were also murdered by Protestants during the same period. Surely you must have heard of the Catholic martyrs of the English Reformation. The martyrs of Douai for example or St Thomas More or St Edmund Campion.

Exactly but there's a Specific religion that doesn't murder. They go to prison,suffer in jail just because they refuse to kill their ENEMIES!
I'm not a protestant cos I won't kill anyone and I'd rather die than be a Catholic!
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Nobody: 12:50am On Sep 04, 2015
Papist:

I already explained why Christ is a mediator between the Father and mankind. Because of His incarnation that is becoming God and Man he united us to the Father since he is not only one with the Father but He is also one of us. That is why His Holy Sacrifice was perfect. An intercessor meanwhile is simply one who asks for a favor on behalf of someone eg you can interceed on someone's behalf to God.

Sorry but I don't believe you.
Mediator: One who INTERCEDES between two parties in order to reconcile them.

1Timothy 2:5 For there's ONE God and ONE mediator between God and men,a man Christ Jesus.

Do you still want to explain? undecided
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Nobody: 1:03am On Sep 04, 2015
Jeromejnr:

BTW, I thought you were Jehovah Witness, why are you here?

Italo is a Catholic..
Check his profile.
All his posts are filled with Catholicism.

Quote me wrong!
Re: Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions by Jeromejnr(m): 7:26am On Sep 04, 2015
Optimall:

Italo is a Catholic..
Check his profile.
All his posts are filled with Catholicism.

Quote me wrong!

italo talks like a JW sometimes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Are Christians Allowed To Have Sex After Traditional Wedding? / Bishop Oyedepo's Curse On Boko Haram Has Started Working / Coronavirus: Oyedepo Cancels Services At Winners Chapel In Maryland, USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.