Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,479 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? (17193 Views)

Oluwo Akanbi Supports The Establishment Of Fulani Ranches In Yoruba Land / Which Language Is The Most Difficult? Igbo, Yoruba Or Hausa? / Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Rapsodee(m): 3:09pm On Sep 04, 2015
A lot of people have been saying Kwara state is an Hausa land which I find difficult to believe because through out my days in the state in Offa I didn't see lots of Hausas like that...so what do you think?
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by funmijoyb(f): 3:11pm On Sep 04, 2015
Rapsodee:
A lot of people have been saying Kwara state is an Hausa land which I find difficult to believe because through out my days in the state in Offa I didn't see lots of Hausas like that...so what do you think?
kwara is 75% yoruba, d others r fulanis. who told you there is hausa land in kwara?

11 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Built2last: 3:16pm On Sep 04, 2015
Kwara is Yoruba by tribe, language and culture but a slave to the Fulanis. willfully sold to the Hausa fulani by Afonja and perpetuated by the saraki Dynasty.

Even the present Emir of Ilorin on ascendancy to the throne changed his name to Fulani name.

very unfortunate.

I have planned to ask Yoruba people why they are silent about this anormaly

4 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Wulfruna(f): 3:20pm On Sep 04, 2015
Yoruba, Bariba, probably Nupe and Fulani, too. It is not ethnically homogenous.

3 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Waspy(m): 3:33pm On Sep 04, 2015
Parking is at owners' risks undecided
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by psucc(m): 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2015
funmijoyb:

kwara is 75% yoruba, d others r fulanis. who told you there is hausa land in kwara?
You misfire.
The percentage swings the other way. How many Obas are there in Kwara State if not Emir of Ilorin, etc.

2 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by divinehand2003(m): 3:37pm On Sep 04, 2015
FOR ME, KWARA IS A CONFUSED STATE

4 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by dayowunmi(m): 3:40pm On Sep 04, 2015
Kwara is massively a yoruba state. I live in kwara so I know. There are some hausa and fulani settlers with their own communities(villages and settlements near ilorin) but on the whole, most of kwara are yoruba speaking origin or some shades of yoruba. The issue of ilorin being governed by an emir is as a result of a pact made decades ago by the Afonja(an ilorin ancient warrior) with the gambari's from sokoto who were also warriors in their own domain to come join hands with him to help defeat his enemies, those ones accepted on the condition of entitlement to the right of rulership of Ilorin which afonja thoughtlessly accepted, fast forward several years later, the paramount ruler of ilorin(a yoruba town) is known as Emir, that's the story.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by funmijoyb(f): 3:46pm On Sep 04, 2015
psucc:
You misfire.
The percentage swings the other way. How many Obas are there in Kwara State if not Emir of Ilorin, etc.
why don't u do d research urself fool

1) HRM Oba AbdulGaniyu Ajibola Ibrahim (MFR)
“ Olusookun II” (The Elerin of Erin-Ile) 1st Class

2) HRM Oba Abdulwahab Oyewale Oyetoro
(The Onira of Ira) 2nd Class

3) HRM Oba Muftau Adebayo Lawal “Titiloye II”
(The Onipee of Ipee) 3rd Class

4) HRM Oba Abdulrasaq Adebayo Abioye “Ilufemiloye”
(The Olukotun of Ikotun) 3rd Class

5) HRM Oba Abdulrasaq Adegboyega Afolabi “Iyiolaseemi III”
(The Olojoku of Ojoku) 3rd Class

6) HRM Oba Salaudeen Olagunju Adeyeye Fagbemi “Obebe II”
(The Onijagbo of Ijagbo) 3rd Class

7) HRM Oba Simeon Bamidele Oyedeji (JP)
(The Onigosun of Igosun) 3rd class

cool HRM Oba Yusuf Omokanye “Oyekanmi II”
(The Elemona of Ilemona) 4th class

9) HRM Oba Yahaya Olatoyese “Olanipekun I”
(The Onigbona of Igbonna land) 4th class

10) HRM Oba Juril Bolaji “Maranro IV”
(The Alaho of Aho-Gbada) 4th Class

and others

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by funmijoyb(f): 3:48pm On Sep 04, 2015
psucc:
You misfire.

Think with your God giving brain, how will you know when you have not been there, five past Emir of Ilorin r yorubas they might have fulani descendant but.....

he has a yoruba name
he speaks yoruba
yorubas in kwara likes him
he respect yoruba's culture and traditions

part of the king in notable towns in kwara state are;

1) HRM Oba AbdulGaniyu Ajibola Ibrahim (MFR)
“ Olusookun II” (The Elerin of Erin-Ile) 1st Class

2) HRM Oba Abdulwahab Oyewale Oyetoro
(The Onira of Ira) 2nd Class

3) HRM Oba Muftau Adebayo Lawal “Titiloye II”
(The Onipee of Ipee) 3rd Class

4) HRM Oba Abdulrasaq Adebayo Abioye “Ilufemiloye”
(The Olukotun of Ikotun) 3rd Class

5) HRM Oba Abdulrasaq Adegboyega Afolabi “Iyiolaseemi III”
(The Olojoku of Ojoku) 3rd Class

6) HRM Oba Salaudeen Olagunju Adeyeye Fagbemi “Obebe II”
(The Onijagbo of Ijagbo) 3rd Class

7) HRM Oba Simeon Bamidele Oyedeji (JP)
(The Onigosun of Igosun) 3rd class

cool HRM Oba Yusuf Omokanye “Oyekanmi II”
(The Elemona of Ilemona) 4th class

9) HRM Oba Yahaya Olatoyese “Olanipekun I”
(The Onigbona of Igbonna land) 4th class

10) HRM Oba Juril Bolaji “Maranro IV”
(The Alaho of Aho-Gbada) 4th Class

among others

8 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Junior66(m): 3:56pm On Sep 04, 2015
psucc:
You misfire.
you are wrong. Kwara state has an Emir only because it was the only yoruba state to be conquered and ruled by the fulani empire. The fulanis installed an Emir anwhere they conquered, simple!

4 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by psucc(m): 10:27pm On Sep 04, 2015
@Funmijoyb

Kwara has slipped past yoruba. Truth be told. Inasmuch as I am concern, yoruba is a relegated to a second citizen in Kwara.

Check back the list of 'Obas' you post. Jubril, Abdulraman, Aldulsalami, Abubakar and you still sit down on arms chair to claim yoruba in Fulani/Hausa infested land. A butter fly thinks himself a bird - Ola Rotimi

3 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by funmijoyb(f): 10:57pm On Sep 04, 2015
psucc:
@Funmijoyb

Kwara has slipped past yoruba. Truth be told. Inasmuch as I am concern, yoruba is a relegated to a second citizen in Kwara.

Check back the list of 'Obas' you post. Jubril, Abdulraman, Aldulsalami, Abubakar and you still sit down on arms chair to claim yoruba in Fulani/Hausa infested land. A butter fly thinks himself a bird - Ola Rotimi

have seen you are a lagooner so nothing much 4 u

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Rapsodee(m): 5:43am On Sep 05, 2015
Junior66:
you are wrong. Kwara state has an Emir only because it was the only yoruba state to be conquered and ruled by the fulani empire. The fulanis installed an Emir anwhere they conquered, simple!
Fact that an Emir is installed still shouldn't make us fulanis nah because we didnt change for them,we still continue with our Yoruba culture just as Barrack Obama ruling USA doesn't make USA an African country and majority of Kwara indigenes are yorubas.

8 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Rapsodee(m): 5:44am On Sep 05, 2015
Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this topic thus far
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Junior66(m): 10:24am On Sep 05, 2015
Rapsodee:
Fact that an Emir is installed still shouldn't make us fulanis nah because we didnt change for them,we still continue with our Yoruba culture just as Barrack Obama ruling USA doesn't make USA an African country and majority of Kwara indigenes are yorubas.
you misunderstood my post.
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by macof(m): 2:33pm On Sep 05, 2015
Junior66:

Only one town in Kwara state has an emir = Ilorin

Other yoruba towns have Oba

Yorubaland make up 80% of Kwara state

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by macof(m): 2:34pm On Sep 05, 2015
even Jebba which was founded by Nupe has an Oba. ..

1 Like

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Funjosh(m): 3:50am On Sep 07, 2015
psucc:
@Funmijoyb

Sometimes all you need to do is travel out of your comfort zone lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Nobody: 8:30am On Sep 07, 2015
psucc:
@Funmijoyb

You do realise those are Muslim names and not 'Fulani/Hausa' names, right?

10 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Rapsodee(m): 7:31pm On Sep 07, 2015
Junior66:
you misunderstood my post.
Owk bro
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by funmijoyb(f): 12:19pm On Sep 09, 2015
Radoillo:

You do realise those are Muslim names and not 'Fulani/Hausa' names, right?
yorubas r half muslims.
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Cuddlebugie(f): 5:06pm On Sep 09, 2015
funmijoyb:
yorubas r half muslims.
seriously? That's a new one on me

1 Like

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 09, 2015
Cuddlebugie:

seriously?
That's a new one on me

Is she wrong? The Yorubas I know tell me Christianity and Islam have roughly equal number of adherents in Yorubaland.

1 Like

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Afam4eva(m): 5:43pm On Sep 09, 2015
By language, Kwara is about 80% Yoruba. But by ethnicity is difficult to call. While those in the Offa axis are proud Yorubas, those in Ilorin are kind of divided. They are to Yorubas what Ika is to Igbos.

1 Like

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Cuddlebugie(f): 6:02pm On Sep 09, 2015
Radoillo:

Is she wrong? The Yorubas I know tell me Christianity and Islam have roughly equal number of adherents in Yorubaland.
I'm not disputing the fact that the two faiths have almost equal numbers of adherents
I don't know if it's me or her choice of words but by "yorubas are half muslim", I thought she meant yorubas are muslims by default before some embraced Christianity/ paganism
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 09, 2015
Cuddlebugie:

I'm not disputing the fact that the two faiths have almost equal numbers of adherents
I don't know if it's me or her choice of words but by "yorubas are half muslim", I thought she meant yorubas are muslims by default before some embraced Christianity/ paganism

Ah! I see the problem - it's the ambiguous nature of Nigerian English.

1 Like

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Cuddlebugie(f): 6:36pm On Sep 09, 2015
Radoillo:

Ah! I see the problem - it's the ambiguous nature of Nigerian English.
Bang
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by seunny4lif(m): 12:17am On Sep 10, 2015
grin
Hmmmm
This matter strong ooooh
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Emmyk(m): 8:30am On Sep 10, 2015
psucc:
You misfire.
What do you know about Kwara state than what you read on Nairaland? undecided

Kwara state is a Yoruba state.... the state doesn't revolve only around Ilorin. Omu-Aran, Erin-Ile, Offa, Ajase, Iloffa etc...

5 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by macof(m): 3:57pm On Sep 10, 2015
Afam4eva:
By language, Kwara is about 80% Yoruba. But by ethnicity is difficult to call. While those in the Offa axis are proud Yorubas, those in Ilorin are kind of divided. They are to Yorubas what Ika is to Igbos.

Excuse me! By language Kwara is roughly 95% yoruba... because the Bariba and Nupe speak yoruba alongside their native languages

By ethnicity 80%

Fulani descendants are the ones divided(due to mixed ancestry) and they are only in Ilorin - one town out of many

7 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Afam4eva(m): 4:01pm On Sep 10, 2015
macof:

Excuse me! By language Kwara is roughly 95% yoruba... because the Bariba and Nupe speak yoruba alongside their native languages

By ethnicity 80%

Fulani descendants are the ones divided(due to mixed ancestry) and they are only in Ilorin - one town out of many
I was referring to those who now speak Yoruba as a native language but not necessarily Yoruba.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Awujale Of Ijebuland Is Not Dead, Says Palace, / Adetunji Becomes 41st Olubadan Of Ibadanland-the Punch / Yoruba Names By Region

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.