Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,294 members, 7,957,750 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:07 PM

Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? (3745 Views)

5 Nigerian Artists Who Take Lyrics For Granted / Check This Brown New Act In The Nigerian Industry / 15 Artists Who Have Gone Unclad For Music Videos [picture] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by DBanjFan: 11:20pm On Apr 03, 2009
Which of our artists can actually do well in globally,i.e. the U.S./U.K/Europe/Asia and Africa as a whole??

I had argument with a friend because I said, currently, not 1 artists could do it, what do you think?
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by asha80(m): 11:27pm On Apr 03, 2009
Psquare is known most parts of africa.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by lalaboi(m): 12:02am On Apr 04, 2009
probably ASA. . . , She's got talent
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by DBanjFan: 3:17am On Apr 04, 2009
ohhh, its true, maybe ASA, she is currently doing well in parts of europe and mostly africa.

but Nigeria needs its own Swag, we cloning everything right now mehn, M.I. is possibly one who could too
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by bee22(f): 7:42am On Apr 04, 2009
Asa.And then maybe M.I,
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by tosinaded(m): 8:28am On Apr 04, 2009
As senseless as dbanj sounds!
His tag d koko master and his entertaining skills are a big plus 4 him
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by iice(f): 12:40pm On Apr 04, 2009
Asa and 9ice. . .after all the greek guy imitated him.

Just yesterday i heard some East Africans singing Gongo Aso grin
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by Noah69: 12:47pm On Apr 04, 2009
Asa (she has already started)
M.I.
9ice - he has unique music, and you don't even have to understand what he is saying
D'Banj
PSquare - because it sounds like Jamo music and that's already selling internationally
Majek Fashek (e don tay, e suppose don make am since but we still dey pray)

Why is 2Face not in this list? Because he needs to go for deliverance and has failed to do so,
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by Tmoni(m): 1:51pm On Apr 04, 2009
Asa
Tuface
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by Solomon227(m): 1:57pm On Apr 04, 2009
ASA is there already with International Record Label
9nice is already accepted even to d far East and Europe
P-square are well known all over Africa
D-Banj is also a good product wit his Charisma
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by penfold(m): 2:27pm On Apr 04, 2009
@ Noah69

hey!!! get your facts right!!!
Majek Fashek is already a global star, the dude was actually being seeded as the natural heir to Bob Marley's throne before cocaine come fry him brain, notwithstanding lets give honour to whom it is due!!!!

"Since the passing of Bob Marley, reggae has been searching for its great black hope. It may have found one in Majek Fashek, even if the guy hails not from Jamaica but Nigeria. No matter. Fashek makes the most melodic reggae of now. Ziggy may be Bob Marley's biological son, but Majek Fashek is his spiritual heir. In terms of vocal tone, Fashek is Marley's spitting image, though he grooves on inflections of his own. His first US album, 'Spirit of Love,' recalls the breathtaking melodies and deep grooves of Marley and his music is gorgeously hypnotic, at times approaching the elegant beauty of prime Van Morrison. For those who like their reggae sweetened with pop-rock craft, this is one of the prettiest albums now out."
  - Jim Farber, New York Daily News, Jan. 19, 1992

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majek_Fashek
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by tosinaded(m): 2:36pm On Apr 04, 2009
Hiss
I T K
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by geena23(f): 3:45pm On Apr 04, 2009
9ice,Asa,Nnena, maybe M.I
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by denony(m): 3:46pm On Apr 04, 2009
P.SQUARE HAS GOT IT ALL
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by newafrical: 4:03pm On Apr 04, 2009
i think born 2 rule is the new best naija artist you need to watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1rc-RKn820 you go laugh, seriously he is the kind of artist naija needs,
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by alex406(m): 4:44pm On Apr 04, 2009
Nanto c and ikechukwu.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by tubabie(f): 5:11pm On Apr 04, 2009
Asa and Nice !
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by damola1: 5:21pm On Apr 04, 2009
Music is really something one cannot predict,

You think you have a great music, and people are not accepting it,

For originality, we have a lot of them, from my very own koko master to 9ice, to tubaba, but then you wonder how much acceptability they can get out there, maybe the likes of obiwon, Asa then,

For me, can't say, but I know for certainty one thing, Tuface broke the ice, to have been accepted than any other artist in the past, globally.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by RICHIEBOI1(m): 5:52pm On Apr 04, 2009
M I is a guy to reckon wit. cool
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by dejiariyo: 5:52pm On Apr 04, 2009
the only two pple who are currently making waves here in europe and america is
tuface, getting mad play on channel u featured international artiste on his songs and currently recordin a track with estelle, how internationally can yu get again.

Asa, she got it all already, recently featured on cnn

Femi kuti, living the felas dream and paying for him

Lagbaja, originality really pays

those are the only artitse that can come to europe or go to america and pull proper crowd all the others will just be playing at indoor venues.not even M.I no originality pple rather pay to hear lilwayne than lil wayne clone.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by Ascony(m): 5:56pm On Apr 04, 2009
Rap/hip hop :  Naeto C
                       M I
                       Sasha

R 'n' B :   Dare Art Alade
               Asa
               Djinee

And the legendary blind COBHAMS ASUQUO (if u hear this guy sing u go faint and then ressurect in 3 days  grin grin)
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by Bamsyle(m): 6:14pm On Apr 04, 2009
2face - Best suited for the international scene if you ask me . . . one thing this dude has got working for him is that though he doesn't have an exceptionally good voice, he makes good use of it . . . knows how to twist and turn his voice . . . and make you like it.

9ice - Good voice . . . sounds deep . . . brings great harmony/melody to his songs . . . plus the mere fact that his songs are performed in his local parlance . . . laced with proverbs and idioms . . . all these are his strongest points.

Asa - Though criticized for sounding like Tracy Chapman, she still brings a good measure of originality to the table . . . her song "No One Knows Tomorrow" has a lot of international appeal . . . it reminds me of Lighthouse Family's "Good Bye Heartbreak" . . . "Jailer" is already doing fine.

Others: Shank, this dude is promising . . . if he can up his game . . . that Jamaican stuff would work for him . . .
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by Redman44(m): 7:17pm On Apr 04, 2009
For me, I believe there are not many Nigerian artists that can be accepted globally. This is not because they are not creative enough or original in their approach to music. We need to understand that there is a lot of politics being played by all the big music recording companies. Africa is definately not their choice continent where they can draw music talent from. And it mostly bolis down to skin colour and nationality. I have listened to some CD's of the ' great' white musicians they promote and all I can say is that the music is trash. One of the best rappers in the 90's was Akinyele [ Check out his music on Youtube. He was a New York Rapper and most probably has a Nigerian father ], yet he was not really promoted by the music company that signed him. There is something going on which people with an african heritage or origin will never understand.

Also, music today has been comercialized. It is not about the message anymore. It is mostly about beats and rhythm. If it was about the message in the music, Asa should be number one on the world music charts by now. Bukola Elemide is good anyway. For Africa to start producing artists that will sell millions of album copies internationally, African record companies will have to set up shop in the Western world and market their artistes themselves. Dbanj, Tuface, Psquare, Mode 9, Nice and the rest of them are good but their music is mainly listened to by blacks and people of african origin.

The only Nigerian artiste that might break into the white market in the near future is Asa [ Bukola Elemide ]. She is unique and mysterious. Just listen two her track- ' Eiye Adaba' Her videos are also mind blowing. Cheers.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by Bamsyle(m): 7:46pm On Apr 04, 2009
Time would tell my friend tongue
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by tayoast(m): 8:36pm On Apr 04, 2009
2 Face Definitely Can!
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by djlimse: 8:38pm On Apr 04, 2009
pasuma wonder, obesere, i love dis guys
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by lalaboi(m): 8:41pm On Apr 04, 2009
dj limse:

pasuma wonder, obesere, i love dis guys

grin grin
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 04, 2009
Abeg you guys should stop listing M.I
The reason he won't get international recognition is simple. His rap is not indigenous to naija. He raps western. If you rap like lil wayne, biggie, nas, etc the entire world will judge you based on their standards. M.I is just "another rapper" when it comes to the real world. Yes he may be the deal in naija but outside naija/africans, he doesn't stand a chance.

I believe ASA started a career in france so you'd expect her to already have a lil intl recognition.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by iReport: 9:29pm On Apr 04, 2009
Fela
Dede mabiaku

lagbaja
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by egheleghe(m): 9:36pm On Apr 04, 2009
We already had a messiah! Yes 2baba is the modern day most successful african based artist and happens to be a nigerian.his song african queen is sdtrk to phatgals and those that have a ghana tv,uganda tv,angola tv and even ethiopia should try to watch their music programmes and the result will be glaring.i'm proud of naija.the most successful african rapper is kanaan from somalia.his album recently entered the billboard charts at no 32.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by bgees(m): 10:46pm On Apr 04, 2009
'International stage' should mean d grammys and billboard charts.

Only d artistes doing tradional nigerian music can get this far. KSA and Femi Kuti are good examples.

9ice is good but can he be consistent? He trade is naija hiphop and nothing other than american hiphop can be at d world stage not even uk hiphop.

Only dummies will include M.I ,naeto c ,ikechukwu and other rappers.

I dont rate ASA but i think with her French record company she has a chance.

Tuface sounds very wack of recent. I dont think he can make another classic.

Dbanj can. only for the rhythms.

So lets just sit back and enjoy our artistes and not decieve ourselves by thinking they can get there.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by mrbargains(m): 11:06pm On Apr 04, 2009
P-Square,Stylplus,2face,Faze,Asa,Resonance,9ice are doing pretty well globally.Nigerian artists are among the most creative and talented on earth.
Buy you Naija CDs at MyAfricanBargains
http://www.myafricanbargains.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Youngest Singer In Kogi State University Drops His Debut Single / The Youngest/kid Presenter Of Wazobiafmabuja(99.5fm) Ngobeke Aka 1982 Teacher / Ladies Strip For Mi-fliss On The 12th Dec. For His New Single "underwear"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.