Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? (3613 Views)

5 Nigerian Artists Who Take Lyrics For Granted / Check This Brown New Act In The Nigerian Industry / 15 Artists Who Have Gone Unclad For Music Videos [picture] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by alfchye(m): 11:11pm On Apr 04, 2009
seriously speaking.If it is not tu face, e no fit be liek tuface.
There is no doubting that he is the best Africa has got to offer.The rest remaing unborn.He second to none.
2BABA, WE LOVE U
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by tayoast(m): 11:18pm On Apr 04, 2009
Darey, too.

Remember, to Dare is to do!
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by lailai2(m): 12:26am On Apr 05, 2009
femi kuti and asa
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by osasp(m): 12:37am On Apr 05, 2009
A-town:

Abeg you guys should stop listing M.I
The reason he won't get international recognition is simple. His rap is not indigenous to naija. He raps western. If you rap like lil wayne, biggie, nas, etc the entire world will judge you based on their standards. M.I is just "another rapper" when it comes to the real world. Yes he may be the deal in naija but outside naija/africans, he doesn't stand a chance.

I believe ASA started a career in france so you'd expect her to already have a lil intl recognition.

word.
u took d words of me.
M.I is strong as an african rapper but internationally, he'll be just another guy.
i think hes a better rapper than modenine but i think nine would have more international appeal.
just my opinion.

as for who will make it internationally, ASA definitely will.
i dont think she sounds like tracy chapman(have you actually heard tracy chapman?)
dats it 4 me really

ASA only
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by Em2va: 5:33am On Apr 05, 2009
Asa, Nigga Raw, Lagbaja, Jeremiah Gyang
U see, my criteria is, whoeva must represent Naija ought to have a lot of nigerian spirit!
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by shanira(f): 6:04am On Apr 05, 2009
For a nigerian artiste to break even abroad,that artiste has to be original and uniquely creative.The foreign music market does not give awards to mediocrity.They only recognize Originality and substance.African artistes that have something to offer which they know they can't find in their own.The problem with we nigerians is that we spend more time trying to copy these people that we forget our own cultures and roots.Yet we want to be recognized by foreigners. grin Oh give me a break
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by shanira(f): 6:18am On Apr 05, 2009
I believe however that these artistes stand a chance.I won't mention singers like Femi kuti, 2face,mode9,Asa or 9ice because they are already getting some or a lot foreign attention.However lets not neglect acts like sholla allison [just heard her stuff and i think she's got it],Nnena [she's hot. simple and short],Lagbaja[he is an enigma and his music is great] .

Who then will bring home the grammy? well wink that is for God to decide.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by cantab(m): 8:04am On Apr 05, 2009
What is the criteria for the acceptability originality /creativity or recreativity,

Fela & Lagbaja wiil go 4 me in originality .

ASA & psqare have a chance to compete with anybody in Europe & America aftrer what they do in America is to recreate musik these days, i don't see any more originality in most of their lines, there r still sm creative ones though.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by lagoslag: 8:27am On Apr 05, 2009
What are u guys talking about, Fela did went global, till date he's one of the few african act known globally. I've met folks from all works of life and different race. whenever  our discussion gets close to african music, 3 out of every 5 mentions fela and his music. Fela is a legend and his music still lives not just in africa but around the world. I've walked into countless spots abroad with nothing relating to africa or nigeria but yet hear them play fela's music. Femi kuti is also known beyond the shores of africa but not globally.

Lagbaja for sure will sell globally if with the right record label
Asa for sure is global material, watch out for her reign sooner or later.

Our traditional music will do better abroad if well guided by the right hands than these foreign genre our nowadays youths are in love with.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by Willzkid(m): 10:42am On Apr 05, 2009
Stylplus, samsong, naeto.c, wandecoal, 2.baba,asa, d other naija hiphoppers r pretenders, includin p2 and d.banj
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by atilla(m): 11:48am On Apr 05, 2009
Asa and paul play are the only guys that can sell globally. I also think don jazzys beats are as good as his american counterparts.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by otoidea(m): 12:20pm On Apr 05, 2009
yada yada yada, its all bout hu is behind u, if 2face was still wv kennies, well , mayb, we all knw huz behind ikechukwu/naeto/sasha , they got global recognition, u can have all the talent/originality/etc in the world bt still be confined to the walls of ur state if u aint got a good pillar!
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by kadman(m): 2:52pm On Apr 05, 2009
Asa
M.I
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by phatboisly(m): 5:15pm On Apr 05, 2009
well i think what sells abroad's not just talent which a lotta our artistes have but originality which a lotta our artistes lack.so this list contains the list of nigerian artistes who are original and therefore also talented(because they're nigerians.lol).modenine,m.i.,asa,tuface,9ice,dare,and of course our current "international champions" femi kuti and lagbaja the masked minstrel.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by asha80(m): 5:35pm On Apr 05, 2009
well i think what sells abroad's not just talent which a lotta our artistes have but originality which a lotta our artistes lack.so this list contains the list of nigerian artistes who are original and therefore also talented(because they're nigerians.lol).modenine,m.i.,asa,tuface,9ice,dare,and of course our current "international champions" femi kuti and lagbaja the masked minstrel.

These guys are not original by ur definition.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by GL(f): 6:35pm On Apr 05, 2009
d only nigerian artistes i can think of who would do well globally is Asa, 2face & Femi Kuti. of course, the other artistes can be popular among nigerians in diaspora but i dont see them getting airplay on foreign radio/tv stations. if we're talking about being popular among non-africans most 9ja musicians cant cope. not like they are not good but ppl from other countries have their own 'popular' musicians, then there are the big american artistes also. so foreigners have so many other choices, plus a different idea of what's cool and what's not.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Apr 05, 2009
2Face
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by rapjunkie(m): 6:48pm On Apr 05, 2009
Jim Iyke

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by donjon: 12:39am On Apr 06, 2009
Ojb jezreel,
dat guy is consistent
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by fesse(f): 10:25am On Apr 06, 2009
Asa and paul play are the only guys that can sell globally. I also think don jazzys beats are as good as his american counterparts.
Exactly
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by dejiariyo: 10:35am On Apr 06, 2009
donjon:

Ojb jezreel,
dat guy is consistent
fesse:

Exactly

i hope you all saw the title of the post?
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by fyneguy: 11:43am On Apr 06, 2009
Yeah

Asa and Paul Play
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by dplo(m): 12:04pm On Apr 06, 2009
2 face will definetly do,i think you have to own your kind of music trademark,a unique kind of music and be original before you could go wide globally,like someone said,M I is a good rapper no doubt,but he cant do much when it comes to international views.
maybe i see it this way,americans especially never seems to like rappers from other continents doing much,they dont really appreciates alliens.they believe they are hip hop,they run the show,and they are the show

p sqaure and asa are cool too
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by cvibe: 12:09pm On Apr 06, 2009
Anyone can do well cos Nigerians are everywhere.

I was very pleased hearing African Queen on Bahamas radio when the song was in vogue.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by platinumnk(f): 8:35pm On Apr 06, 2009
9ice

i loove gongo aso~
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by icezik1(m): 8:46pm On Apr 06, 2009
To me only Asa and maybe D'banj can make it. Why? Due to uniqueness. If you look at the current Billboard charts you will notice that the people on the charts are UNIQUE. The World loves something new, fresh and different. In fact, D'banj, Tu Face, Durella, Timaya, 9ice, Asa and Lord of Ajasa (He's doing Rap music from a new perspective!) are very unique. They  can hold their own in the international scene and make our music more popular. People like M.I, P-Square, Mode9 (Even though lyrically he's better than most of the rappers in America including Jay-Z), Banky W, Wande Cole, Sasha, Naeto-C and Ikechukwu are all good musicians but sadly they are just doing what is already being done abroad. They can't compete with the already existing artistes who have better reputations. Right now, Lady Gaga's song Poker Face is top of Billboard's Hot 100 and anyone that has heard that song will know that it is absolutely unique.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by pureminded: 10:00am On Apr 07, 2009
platinumnk:

9ice

i loove gongo aso~
Me too cheesy
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by MojiEsther(f): 3:13pm On Apr 07, 2009
@ Dbanj Fan,

Haba! Dont say there is no Nigerian artiste that can do good globally. There are a few who will and some who are widely known already.
They just need more promo and support.
Its easy, a law of branding says , 'to be a global brand, have a local perception'. Nigerian artistes who are original and do good music will do well globally. There's nothing wrong with 'our music' if only there's a touch of excellence.

So my list is:

Nice
Asa
Pasuma, Obesere, Saridon P(Saheed Osupa-this guy makes sense)
Dbanj
Durella (this guy is crazy)

My other list- I think they are very talented and will also do well globally.

Mode Nine
M.I
Paul Play
Nomoreloss

Thats all i can remember for now.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by DBanjFan: 4:03am On Apr 08, 2009
Good point. I can dig that.

Hears another perspective we can look at the main question I was asking.

If one of our artistes were to go to the United States(seeing as that is the place where your career in music is propelled to greater heights) could their so called "product", sell enough to make in the Billboard top 10 charts.

Sean Paul and Dancehall music is a prime example, yes he/it had a following back in the Carribean and with Carribeans abroad, but doesnt Femi or 9ice and Nigerian music have the same. ONLY TIME WILL TELL REALLY.
1luv
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by sweeriie(f): 8:30am On Apr 08, 2009
rapjunkie:

Jim Iyke

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

LOL!!! i wholeheartedly agree. Jim Iyke, Omo sexy, Genevieve = hot stuff!
grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by bee22(f): 10:57am On Apr 08, 2009
@Ascony, Cobhams is definitely an artist and producer who deserves and is capable of blowing up internationally.
Re: Nigerian Industry Artists Who Could Actually Do Good Globally? by frijos(m): 1:53pm On Apr 08, 2009
I respect u guys and the way ur repping ur favorite artistes up in here. I'm one of them on the rise and i sure want to be among the greats and be remembered when i'm gone. It's Olusesi Omosetan aka Sesi but i love it when the girls call me Oluseesi! Yo! check this out i got the streets of Lagos buzzing for real with my new smash hit single "EMI NA TI HAMMER" I'm certain una go like this one o! Just listen n drop useful comments abeg. bye! grin

http://www.zshare.net/download/5801868521f7a66b/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Get The Messiah Babami Music Sheet By Ayo Oluranti In PDF / Download Tiwa Savage Ft Duncan Mighty - Lova Lova (instrumental) By 2flexing / Did You Know Davido Paid Naeto C N1m To Feature In The Song "back Then"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.