Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,981 members, 7,828,474 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees (1324 Views)

Whistle Blower Exposes Hijacked Foodstuffs Meant For Refugees In Bauchi. Photos / IDP Workers Make Soup With Weeding Grass For Refugees. Photos / Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Island For Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by Idrismusty97(m): 11:25am On Sep 06, 2015
Egypt’s 3rd richest man, Telecoms billionaire Naguib Sawiris , has disclosed that he plans to purchase an island off Italy or Greece and develop it to house hundreds of thousands of refuges fleeing from the conflict in Syria.

“Greece or Italy sell me an island, I’ll call its independence and host the migrants and provide jobs for them building their new country,” Sawiris said in a tweet on Tuesday that has since gone viral.

Naguib, who spoke to Agence France Press (AFP) after publishing his tweet, believes his idea is feasible and insists that he is serious about his proposition.

“You have dozens of islands which are deserted and could accommodate hundreds of thousands of refugees,” Sawiris said in an interview to AFP on Thursday.

Acquiring an island off Greece or Italy could easily cost Sawiris anywhere between $10-$100million but the Egyptian billionaire believes he could build a new country from scratch by investing heavily in infrastructure.

Outlining his blueprint, Sawiris stated on Twitter that he could build temporary shelters to house the refugees, and then employ the people to build housing, schools, universities and hospitals.

“And if things improve, whoever wants to go back (to their homeland) goes back,” he added. Sawiris promised that if his plan works, the refugees who take refuge in his
new country would be treated as “human beings”.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2015/09/04/egyptian-billionaire-offers-to-buy-mediterranean-island-for-refugees/

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by ENGRJCJ(m): 11:25am On Sep 06, 2015
Rich man with good heart is not easy to be found. Keep it up sir and pls remember boko haram victims in Nigeria.. Our rich men here are selfish and greedy.

3 Likes

Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by MISSNORA(f): 11:25am On Sep 06, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 06, 2015
Eriwa gwa guuu
Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 06, 2015
speechless
Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by SalC: 11:38am On Sep 06, 2015
Nice but not easy

His country Egypt should let him have Sanai penninsular for this generous purpose
Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by SirLegal(m): 11:39am On Sep 06, 2015
Service to Humanity is the best form of Service to the Almighty.

Good Idea Sir. I equally commend F.C Bayern Munich and Real Madrid C.F who donated 1 million Euros each in other to help these migrants. Also waiting for my Club F.C Barcelona to do same.

To ISIS, it will never, never EVER be well with you guys.

#Peace.

4 Likes

Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by Metrofox(m): 11:41am On Sep 06, 2015
ENGRJCJ:
Rich man with good heart is not easy to be found. Keep it up sir and pls remember boko haram victims in Nigeria.. Our rich men here are selfish and greedy.
Where's the good heart here? undecided all i see is a smart business man.. grin do you know the possibilities here? It's limitless..trillions of dollars in profit in the near future..monopoly on healthcare and other endless services. truly we all see from different perspectives

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by Idrismusty97(m): 11:43am On Sep 06, 2015
With their current financial crisis Greece even needs his money.
Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by ENGRJCJ(m): 11:48am On Sep 06, 2015
Metrofox:

Where's the good heart here? undecided all i see is a smart business man.. grin do you know the possibilities here? It's limitless..trillions of dollars in profit in the near future..monopoly on healthcare and other endless services. truly we all see from different perspectives
Bro some people will still benefit. Anyway everyone has his own perspective
Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by Nobody: 11:52am On Sep 06, 2015
America will not like this.
Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by Crocz(m): 12:02pm On Sep 06, 2015
I like his idea...and I hope he succeeds

But what happens after he's succeeded?...he becomes the president, rules for a decade, two decades or 3 or 4 and then the "Arab-curse" kicks in...the Arabs demand a new leader and wants to depose him. Then he feels it's never gonna happen in a country he built. Protests here and there, becomes messy and people gets more violent and his government respond in equal measure. Then the civil war begins, a country goes up in flames and their beautiful country goes the path of their previous country of Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. And then it's square one all over again.

Arabs will always be Arabs!

4 Likes

Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by 9jii(m): 12:07pm On Sep 06, 2015
The rich people are not allowed to be this generous.
The reason is very complex but wickedly
Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by Idrismusty97(m): 12:14pm On Sep 06, 2015
Crocz:
I like his idea...and I hope he succeeds

But what happens after he's succeeded?...he becomes the president, rules for a decade, two decades or 3 or 4 and then the "Arab-curse" kicks in...the Arabs demand a new leader and wants to depose him. Then he feels it's never gonna happen in a country he built. Protests here and there, becomes messy and people gets more violent and his government respond in equal measure. Then the civil war begins, a country goes up in flames and their beautiful country goes the path of their previous country of Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. And then it's square one all over again.

Arabs will always be Arabs!
Never gonna happen on an Island.
Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by Bialegend(m): 12:17pm On Sep 06, 2015
ENGRJCJ:
Keep what up? You wan take style build an islamic country near civilized European countries to spread your barbaric religion? Turkey and Bosnia that have land borders with Europeans are already enough problem. Are there no islands off/near the coasts of all the islamic countries where this billionair can buy and build his new refugees islamic country? Again is it impossible for all the islamic countries of the world to share all the refugees among themselves instead of sending them to Christian countries? Island ni, refugee ko.

2 Likes

Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by Crocz(m): 12:19pm On Sep 06, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Never gonna happen on an Island.
And why is that?
Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by Austin4lif: 12:33pm On Sep 06, 2015
Bringing islam close to europe will nt be a good idea. Transport them to islands close to pakistan,egypt,lebanon or libya. I stand to be quoted, tell me a peaceful islamic country? And u want to create one near europe.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by Ghost01(m): 1:49pm On Sep 06, 2015
A welcome proposition.

In other news, more than two million of our compatriots are in IDP camps. Some of them are served food with shovels on a daily basis. Thousands of the kids have no access to formal education.

There's peacekeeping and there's peacebuilding. When the institutions of positive peace, like education, human dignity, rule of law, respect for human rights, etc are non-existent, how do you hope to sustain peace, if and when the Boko Haram terrorists are finally defeated?

The Seven save us!
Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by jerrywool: 2:14pm On Sep 06, 2015
He should also buy one more. so we can send musiwa and his fellow lunatics from the country of western Nigeria there.
Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by widowhusband: 2:26pm On Sep 06, 2015
crocz, u help me talk am finis
Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by juman(m): 2:39pm On Sep 06, 2015
Why mediterranean?

He can get some land in saudi arabia, sudan, algeria, chad, niger, mali or mauritania.

1 Like

Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by juman(m): 2:41pm On Sep 06, 2015
Arabs leaders should rather do the right thing, the restoration of peace is the solution.

Unfortunately arab leaders are mostly window dressing leaders.
Re: Egyptian Billionaire Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees by tartar9(m): 2:49pm On Sep 06, 2015
Austin4lif:
Bringing islam close to europe will nt be a good idea. Transport them to islands close to pakistan,egypt,lebanon or libya. I stand to be quoted, tell me a peaceful islamic country? And u want to create one near europe.
quit being a fool igbo man,there are more than 50 Islamic countries some are very close to Greece.

(1) (Reply)

Presidency Issues 7-day Deadline On Workers’ Pay / Fg Begins Audit Of Nnpc, Firs, Npa, Nimasa, Customs / Re: Reactions Of Nigerians To FG Statement On North Korea Nuclear Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.