Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You (7710 Views)

Man Earns 150k In Lagos & Wife Earns 750k In Kaduna, Who Should Resign? / Would You Marry A Man Like Your Dad? See Replies Girls Gave / Can You Marry A Lady That's Richer Or More Educated Than You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 08, 2015
louismane:
its almost as if d op wants d ladies to give negative comments... she even seems to want to talk away any sense yall try to gather together.. now i dont know if d thread is just to get comments or perhaps reaffirm somtin on ur mind madam op buh please its d 21st century where women are fighting for gender equality now which is a good thing... i know we all got class and all and certain standards buh i seem to notice dat if it wer d oda way round d guy wuld marry her irrespective of anytn now im not sexist buh il say dis.. men nid to grow d Bleep up nd get a little class too and stop being d knights in shinning armor and fyi i think its d male gender who are denied equality everyday buh no noise is made about dat... we cant kip settling fr less and still work hard to pay our bills and urs and d kids too... gender equality for men....#enof said... my 2cents...peaceout!!,

1 bear 4 u..
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by AtheistD(m): 7:13am On Oct 09, 2015
What about a younger guy? Can you marry a guy that is younger than you?
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 09, 2015
Neitzsche
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by PreshyG(f): 12:47pm On Oct 26, 2015
Am not sure i can marry a man dt is less educated than me, i knw myself, i wunt even respect him.
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 7:01pm On Oct 26, 2015
PreshyG:
Am not sure i can marry a man dt is less educated than me, i knw myself, i wunt even respect him.
so you won't respect your man simply because he doesnt have a piece of paper which people bribe their way to get in Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by chymi(f): 7:47pm On Mar 24, 2016
I can only marry a man that earns high or average with education, I want an independent man because I too wasn't born with a silver spoon, I could help him if he is success driven, without education; honest, caring and ambitious. I want a man to look up to not another version of me undecided. Nobody wants a lazy or too dependent man/woman cool

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by Nobody: 7:56pm On Mar 24, 2016
Yes provided he is insecure. I don't have time and strength for emotions undecided

Also, he must be willing to use his brain.
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by queenfav(f): 3:48pm On Mar 25, 2016
Darkchocolate:

Fair enough...but some people have a way of concealing their true nature from you and only revealing it when it's too late. Especially if you earn more or more educated than he is, he ll definitely see you as a catch, unattainable, the envy of his friends, his ticket out of misery...and will say or do anything to keep you sweet till he gets the ring on it... Then bam! His true colour emerges!!!

undecided
i concur.
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by oluafam: 2:07am On Mar 26, 2016
I married a primary6 holder while I'm a B.Sc holder, though he is far richer. Today I think he is my worst MISTAKE.
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by Dheartless: 1:52pm On Mar 26, 2016
oluafam:
I married a primary6 holder while I'm a B.Sc holder, though he is far richer. Today I think he is my worst MISTAKE.
a phd holder can as well be a "worst mistake".

2 Likes

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by Nobody: 6:49am On Mar 27, 2016
oluafam:

Try adjust your life around the "Mistake" and be positive about it, your attitude towards the decision is what matters now Yes its not easy but its doable
I have a friend that married a far richer guy that is an illiterate and I can tell you I know what it takes, decision making can be difficult and at times the man can be super stubborn.
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 27, 2016
Setaje:
I Can't marry a man who is less educated than me. That will be the biggest injustice to my parents. As for me earning more than him, Also depends on if I know the man is not lazy and aspires to be richer but circumstances just made him earn less , I can help him to any length in that case but If he seems layed back and unconcerned. That's a red flag!

A rich hard-working woman cannot help a lazy man and a hard working man will always aspire to be greater.

No offense to men wiv less education. But Education to me is the best legacy in life. I always advocate " Marry your kind" to avoid stories that touch!

And who told you education is about being in the four walls of a classroom? I have someone who has only what you term formal education up to High school level but guess what he has read wide and far and his discussions, thought processes, presentations, spoken english, constructions would humble a Phd holder. And thousands of them abound around.

Education may expose you but there are several other forms of informal education that you can't quantify and aren't certificated. As long as he can read well and write. Make fluent discuss in English. Can reason logically. He is educated.

Make i no even talk about Naija graduates sef. Aren't those the foolish ones that ahout and show their stupidity on here?

4 Likes

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by sisisioge: 12:16pm On Mar 27, 2016
Hmmm. No on both counts. I no fit shout!
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by Tolatutu: 2:04pm On Mar 27, 2016
The truth is most Nigerian men cannot handle a woman who's more educated or richer, he will start envying you. No matter what you do or say he'll attribute it to the fact that you think you are better. You'll end up getting turned into a doormat just so you are not accused of arrogance .

Men like that will eventually start spending the wife's money for one orange seller that he feels superior to so he can massage his ego.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 4:10pm On Mar 27, 2016
Tolatutu:
The truth is most Nigerian men cannot handle a woman who's more educated or richer, he will start envying you. No matter what you do or say he'll attribute it to the fact that you think you are better. You'll end up getting turned into a doormat just so you are not accused of arrogance .

Men like that will eventually start spending the wife's money for one orange seller that he feels superior to so he can massage his ego.
what gives you the right to classify "Most" Nigerian Men, have you met with most Nigerian Men, have you interacted with most Nigerian men? I am not surprised at all, as you belong to the class of women that believe, its always the man's fault

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by oluafam: 9:11pm On Mar 27, 2016
favoured234:

Try adjust your life around the "Mistake" and be positive about it, your attitude towards the decision is what matters now Yes its not easy but its doable
I have a friend that married a far richer guy that is an illiterate and I can tell you I know what it takes, decision making can be difficult and at times the man can be super stubborn.

Thanks for your advice. I will keep trying.
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by josiegirl27: 12:17am On Sep 29, 2018
its almost as if d op wants d ladies to give negative comments... she even seems to want to talk away any sense yall try to gather together.. now i dont know if d thread is just to get comments or perhaps reaffirm somtin on ur mind madam op buh please its d 21st century where women are fighting for gender equality now which is a good thing... i know we all got class and all and certain standards buh i seem to notice dat if it wer d oda way round d guy wuld marry her irrespective of anytn now im not sexist buh il say dis.. men nid to grow d Bleep up nd get a little class too and stop being d knights in shinning armor and fyi i think its d male gender who are denied equality everyday buh no noise is made about dat... we cant kip settling fr less and still work hard to pay our bills and urs and d kids too... gender equality for men....#enof said... my 2cents...peaceout!!,
you lost me at knight in shining armor..come again.
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by realtalk19: 3:03am On Sep 29, 2018
Darkchocolate:
So in honour of a thread recently posted...I would like to ask the Ladies in the house.

Can you marry a guy who earns less than you or a guy who is less educated than you.

What if he is very well off but stopped at primary 6? And you hold an MBA or PHD...do you think that marriage will work?

Bearing in mind that you might think "I will respect my husband because he is the man" but the man might already be feeling insecure and anything you do (something that could be seemingly innocent) could be attributed to the wealth and education disparity. That s when you hear him get overly defensive over any little thing and the "Did you marry yourself", "Did you pay your brideprice", I knew it would come to this", etc etc.

On the other hand, the man could start hindering your progress simply because he does not understand the need to grow professionally. He might not want you to take that extra course or that MBA or that PHD due to fear of inadequacy.
Differences in education could also mean difficulty in communication which will ultimately lead to increased misunderstanding.

Please share your views! grin cheesy

I did it with all faithfulness and sincerity and at the end it ended in misery.

The ego is always there no matter how humble and understanding I was .

Intimidation and suspicions started.

Insults, abuse and arrogance followed with no regard for my family

At a point I became responsible for every provision even to delivery and home needs to fees and bills.it was draining and frustrating.i had to survive for my kids at least and endured.

Then violence sets in . I needed to stay alive for my kids so I took a walk finally .

I will not say a guy that earns less or am more educated than is enough to judge all men. Some uneducated men are even more responsible and caring than the educated one's. I feel it's about a man's character which is exhibited through various factors like family, environment, experience and Gene.

In my own case 'he' grew up in a dyfunctional family settings, beliveing a woman has to be the one paying for every bills and expenses and he will still collect on top(imagine him telling me "ever since I have been working, I have never given him my salary.is that how a good and responsible wife behaves?" Those were one of his many verbal utterances

As long as a man is responsible, God fearing, disciplined,tolerant(women can be nasty at times, blame the hormones-lol) caring and hardworking and with the woman also making positive efforts towards achieving a successful marriage then it doesn't matter if a woman is earning more or the man being an illeterate. Av seen successful skilled hardworking men who never saw the four walls of a university but end up becoming a responsible husband and father.

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by CHoccolaTE: 6:09am On Sep 29, 2018
realtalk19:

I did it with all faithfulness and sincerity and at the end it ended in misery.

The ego is always there no matter how humble and understanding I was .

Intimidation and suspicions started.

Insults, abuse and arrogance followed with no regard for my family

At a point I became responsible for every provision even to delivery and home needs to fees and bills.it was draining and frustrating.i had to survive for my kids at least and endured.

Then violence sets in . I needed to stay alive for my kids so I took a walk finally .

I will not say a guy that earns less or am more educated than is enough to judge all men. Some uneducated men are even more responsible and caring than the educated one's. I feel it's about a man's character which is exhibited through various factors like family, environment, experience and Gene.

In my own case 'he' grew up in a dyfunctional family settings, beliveing a woman has to be the one paying for every bills and expenses and he will still collect on top(imagine him telling me "ever since I have been working, I have never given him my salary.is that how a good and responsible wife behaves?" Those were one of his many verbal utterances

As long as a man is responsible, God fearing, disciplined,tolerant(women can be nasty at times, blame the hormones-lol) caring and hardworking and with the woman also making positive efforts towards achieving a successful marriage then it doesn't matter if a woman is earning more or the man being an illeterate. Av seen successful skilled hardworking men who never saw the four walls of a university but end up becoming a responsible husband and father.

I dunno why men think women are on earth to slave away their lives for them. Just imagine the pathetic behaviour of the man in this story.
Its not bad enough that he cannot provide he has to start beating his wife in the process and demanding her salary.

Forget what you read on Nairaland about women being demanding. Men are worse.

More than 90% of Nigerian men would just relax and stop trying if they have a wife that earns more or had more money than them. They will not bother providing anything until they are sure she has exhausted her money. Or if they do provide it will be grudgingly and with anger because they feel the woman should be doing the job instead.

I don't blame them. The society we live in coddles irresponsible men and blame everything on women.

4 Likes

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by ImaIma1(f): 7:36am On Sep 29, 2018
I can't marry a man that is less educated. A man's ego is not a very interesting thing to deal with. When he is less educated, many things will be considered a slight to him.because of that.

I told a guy i dated " it is such a shame that we didn't see yesterday" and he said "shame on who?". I spent the next few days explaining myself and apologizing. It was a big issue.

Earning less is easier to mange if he is educated.
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by BluntBoy(m): 8:24am On Sep 29, 2018
ImaIma1:
I can't marry a man that is less educated. A man's ego is not a very interesting thing to deal with. When he is less educated, many things will be considered a slight to him.because of that.

I told a guy i dated " it is such a shame that we didn't see yesterday" and he said "shame on who?". I spent the next few days explaining myself and apologizing. It was a big issue.

Earning less is easier to mange if he is educated.

This issue is not an issue of education but of English.

There are many Nigerian graduates who would have misunderstood you as well. I have one in my office who has a masters and yet keeps mispronouncing words. He will call kettle "krettle" and belt "bent". He calls ship "chip".
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by ImaIma1(f): 9:38am On Sep 29, 2018
BluntBoy:

This issue is not an issue of education but of English.

There are many Nigerian graduates who would have misunderstood you as well. I have one in my office who has a masters and yet keeps mispronouncing words. He will call kettle "krettle" and belt "bent". He calls ship "chip".

Modified

Uneducated man or an "educated illiterate"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by frozen70(f): 11:34am On Sep 29, 2018
Marriage is not about educational qualifications

It's about the individual and his or her attitude

We have so many graduates, exposed and learned yet they behave like beast

I will rather stay with a school cert holder that love and respect me, I don't mind working extra for family incomes

A woman needs to be appreciated and once that is done you will have access to her finances

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by tabithababy(f): 2:54pm On Sep 29, 2018
CHoccolaTE:

I dunno why men think women are on earth to slave away their lives for them. Just imagine the pathetic behaviour of the man in this story.
Its not bad enough that he cannot provide he has to start beating his wife in the process and demanding her salary.

Forget what you read on Nairaland about women being demanding. Men are worse.

More than 90% of Nigerian men would just relax and stop trying if they have a wife that earns more or had more money than them. They will not bother providing anything until they are sure she has exhausted her money. Or if they do provide it will be grudgingly and with anger because they feel the woman should be doing the job instead.

I don't blame them. The society we live in coddles irresponsible men and blame everything on women.

Very true cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by divinelove(m): 3:14pm On Sep 29, 2018
quote author=Darkchocolate post=37729808]So in honour of a thread recently posted...I would like to ask the Ladies in the house.

Can you marry a guy who earns less than you or a guy who is less educated than you.

What if he is very well off but stopped at primary 6? And you hold an MBA or PHD...do you think that marriage will work?

Bearing in mind that you might think "I will respect my husband because he is the man" but the man might already be feeling insecure and anything you do (something that could be seemingly innocent) could be attributed to the wealth and education disparity. That s when you hear him get overly defensive over any little thing and the "Did you marry yourself", "Did you pay your brideprice", I knew it would come to this", etc etc.

On the other hand, the man could start hindering your progress simply because he does not understand the need to grow professionally. He might not want you to take that extra course or that MBA or that PHD due to fear of inadequacy.
Differences in education could also mean difficulty in communication which will ultimately lead to increased misunderstanding.

Please share your views! grin cheesy[/quote]

Your education means nothing if it doesn't bring much to the table. A wife with PhD teaching in secondary school earning 100k will kill to marry a politician who attempted waec and failed but is a senator and earns 27m monthly.

Money n enlightenment is the main thing, education is nothing this days without cash. We now even have many jobless PhD n MBA holders.

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by divinelove(m): 3:14pm On Sep 29, 2018
quote author=Darkchocolate post=37729808]So in honour of a thread recently posted...I would like to ask the Ladies in the house.

Please share your views! grin cheesy [/quote]

Your education means nothing if it doesn't bring much to the table. A wife with PhD teaching in secondary school earning 100k will kill to marry a politician who attempted waec and failed but is a senator and earns 27m monthly.

Money n enlightenment is the main thing, education is nothing this days without cash. We now even have many jobless PhD n MBA holders.
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by divinelove(m): 3:15pm On Sep 29, 2018

Please share your views! grin cheesy [/quote]

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by newscool(m): 11:35pm On Sep 29, 2018
with due respect to all the educated ignorant ladies yaping about not being able to marry a guy who's "NOT AS EDUCATED AS THEY ARE" as I prepare to put a pin through ur self imagined crystal bubbles go into your study pick up all ur certificates from kindergarten to PhD take it to a bank nearby ask for the market value. your quest is similar to the search for the Pandora box. "SMART MOUTHS" carry that attitude around and watch your BIOLOGICAL CLOCK TICK BACKWARDS..... DRAW SWORDS @CHoccolaTE, @preshyG. @Setaje @darkchocolate, @rukkydelta

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by CHoccolaTE: 3:54am On Sep 30, 2018
newscool:
with due respect to all the educated ignorant ladies yaping about not being able to marry a guy who's "NOT AS EDUCATED AS THEY ARE" as I prepare to put a pin through ur self imagined crystal bubbles go into your study pick up all ur certificates from kindergarten to PhD take it to a bank nearby ask for the market value. your quest is similar to the search for the Pandora box. "SMART MOUTHS" carry that attitude around and watch your BIOLOGICAL CLOCK TICK BACKWARDS..... DRAW SWORDS @CHoccolaT.E, @pr.eshyG. @Se.taje @darkchoc.olate, @rukkydel.ta

I will carry any mentality I like and my biological clock will remain perfectly fine.

Why is our post paining you? Are you uneducated?
I don't know why Nairaland men get angry when women say they have standards for the men they want to marry. You people want women to say they want poor miserable uneducated husbands or what?
You yourself do you not high standard for the woman you want to marry in future?

Leave us alone with your bad belle, let us live our lives and make our choices in peace. Mind your business.

2 Likes

Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by newscool(m): 8:19am On Sep 30, 2018
CHoccolaTE:

I will carry any mentality I like and my biological clock will remain perfectly fine.

Why is our post paining you? Are you uneducated?
I don't know why Nairaland men get angry when women say they have standards for the men they want to marry. You people want women to say they want poor miserable uneducated husbands or what?
You yourself do you not high standard for the woman you want to marry in future?

Leave us alone with your bad belle, let us live our lives and make our choices in peace. Mind your business.

predictable!!! a typical Nigerian girl. How old are you now? we'll wait to see how long the candle last through the wind. hope it does not get to the point when u pull this out ur ass "MAN NA MAN"
Re: Ladies, Can you marry a guy who Is Less Educated or earns less Than You by CHoccolaTE: 10:37am On Sep 30, 2018
newscool:

predictable!!! a typical Nigerian girl. How old are you now? we'll wait to see how long the candle last through the wind. hope it does not get to the point when u pull this out ur ass "MAN NA MAN"

Hope your wretchedness and poverty will not get to the point where you pull this out ur ass, "TRUCKPUSHER NA JOB"

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lioness Beats Down Her Mate When She Spots Him With Another Female (Pics) / Does The Vagina Revert Back To Normal? / Entries Into Cussons Baby Moment Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.