Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian (12726 Views)

Staunch Saraki Supporter Posted This On Facebook; See Reactions From Kwarans / Staunch Buharists, Olateju And Farouk Kperogi Criticise Buhari Over Appointments / Exclusive Pic :: Is Nigeria's New Vice President Being Under Utilized? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by ishiamu(m): 1:06pm On Sep 07, 2015
By Oluseun Onigbinde

Nigeria’s new president was always going to have his work cut out for him. Some voters placed him on a pedestal, hailing him as the man who would save Africa’s largest but languishing economy.

By his own admission, Muhammadu Buhari is something of a rock star. People cry when they see him, with thousands defying airport security to run on to the tarmac as he flew into Taraba state in March. An 80-year-old food seller from Kebbi state even donated her life savings to his campaign in January, reducing the lanky ex-general to tears. In northern Nigeria, his street name is Mai Gaskiya – one whose word is his bond.

Post-election, the heat is on. Falling oil prices (now below the budget benchmark of $53 per barrel); Boko Haram’s raging insurgency that has claimed more than 13,000 lives; and large-scale corruption have ensured Nigerians are getting tetchy.

After winning by a 2.57 million-vote margin, Buhari was expected to kick off his term by cracking down on corruption and reclaiming some of the $15.7bn that has been taken out of Nigeria illegally in the past decade. Nigerians thought this was a given, noting Buhari’s previous record as military head of state 30 years ago.

But now, the public’s confidence in his ability to root out corruption is waning as Nigerians realise no one seems to be going to jail soon; Buhari’s party has outlined “alleged” corruption scandals in the newspapers, but taken no one to court. He has not formed a cabinet, or provided clear-cut policy directives in critical sectors. His party has enthusiastically welcomed new members from the opposition party, while the National Assembly only sat for 14 days in three months.

So far, Buhari seems to have focused on fighting Boko Haram, giving newly appointed security chiefs a December deadline to end the insurgency; cleaning up the corrupt oil and gas sector by appointing a new head of the state oil company NNPC; and rebuilding Nigeria’s image with strategic diplomatic visits. Clearly, he wants to persuade regional allies to cooperate in the fight against Boko Haram by contributing to a multinational security force. He is also looking into a raft of over-budgeted security contracts for weapons.

Meanwhile, the public’s staunch belief in the integrity of Mai Gaskiya has been taking a hit. The president has declared his assets via a press release, but this still falls short of the standard prescribed by the Code of Conduct Bureau. He has promised to release the full documents soon.

Global development podcast Counting the cost of the Boko Haram crisis - podcast
Listen
Buhari’s decision to wait 90 days before appointing key government officials led to an uproar, with critics saying he favoured people from the north. His aides, in damage control mode, said that more than 6,000 appointments are yet to be announced.

Now focus has begun to shift to the cost of a bloated cabinet. On the ground, ordinary people are bearing the brunt. Since Buhari’s win, the stock market has lost more than $10bn in value, job creation has ebbed, and growth slowed to 2.35% in the second quarter, with the low oil prices in the spotlight. Petrol prices have stabilised but inflation keeps rising and the petrol subsidy debt has risen to $1.57bn: if unchecked, this is likely to lead to another oil workers’ union strike and rise in energy prices.

There are, however, glimmers of hope. Buhari has been decisive in coming to the rescue of states owing salaries, with a bailout of $4m. His new tax boss is Babatunde Fowler, who notably raised tax revenues in the economic capital of Lagos. Fowler has a herculean task; Nigeria’s non-oil tax to GDP ratio is a shameful 4.6%.

Buhari is undoubtedly aware that he has his work cut out for him. Rather than erode public trust by trying hard to deny the magnitude of the promises he made, it would be better to honestly admit that most of them are impossible to fulfil, in the short term. His ability to prioritise and delegate as he forms his cabinet will be the deciding factor. Change will be painful, but to triumph, Buhari must make up for lost time as he unveils his cabinet this month.

Buhari’s supporters say his “body language” – or how his behaviour shapes attitudes in the civil service – is already paying dividends. They say the notoriously erratic power supply is already better, because corrupt officials fear what Buhari might do in the future. However, as Vincent Nwani of Lagos chamber of commerce and industry recently wrote: “Industry operators cannot take investment decisions based on [the president’s] body language.”

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/sep/07/nigerias-staunch-belief-in-new-president-muhammadu-buhari-being-sorely-tested

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by ishiamu(m): 1:07pm On Sep 07, 2015
Ok na, lalasticlala you hear that?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by multikolour(m): 1:07pm On Sep 07, 2015
ishiamu:

But now, the public’s confidence in his ability to root out corruption is waning as Nigerians realise no one seems to be going to jail soon; Buhari’s party has outlined “alleged” corruption scandals in the newspapers, but taken no one to court. -tested

initial gra gra.

20 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by modath(f): 1:08pm On Sep 07, 2015
Those who don't believe in PMB's ability to make an effort ---in the face of such overwhelming difficulties like dwindling oil price, insecurity, plundered foreign reserves ethnic/tribal distrust etc---- never did in the first place & only joined the support bandwagon cos it was cool to be a PMB supporter...

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by ishiamu(m): 1:23pm On Sep 07, 2015
multikolour:

initial gra gra.

LoL I dey tell you

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by frankyychiji(f): 1:27pm On Sep 07, 2015
Lord Buhari insists on running the governance of this country all by himself. Not that I really give a fvck if that is what Apc wants, my only grouse is that the economy will suffer under Buhari like never been witnessed before, At the end of his 4yrs of clueless rule, the Nigerian economy will be worse than the MAMSER/SAP era of IBB!

One very idiatic fellow known as passingshot is busy in the other thread reeling out what he thinks is the solution, I would say he should take his suggestions to the relevant authorities because it seems the idiot is smarter than the Dullardiho and not meander from thread to thread looking for who to pour invectives on!

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by PassingShot(m): 1:35pm On Sep 07, 2015
frankyychiji:
Lord Buhari insists on running the governance of this country all by himself. Not that I really give a fvck if that is what Apc wants, my only grouse is that the economy will suffer under Buhari like never been witnessed before, At the end of his 4yrs of clueless rule, the Nigerian economy will be worse than the MAMSER/SAP era of IBB!

One very idiatic fellow known as passingshot is busy in the other thread reeling out what he thinks is the solution, I would say he should take his suggestions to the relevant authorities because it seems the idiot is smarter than the Dullardiho and not meander from thread to thread looking for who to pour invectives on!

See "painment"!

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by PassingShot(m): 1:40pm On Sep 07, 2015
Very soon, I mean very very soon, Nigerians will soon unite to appreciate Buhari's efforts in launching us back in the right direction.

The man inherited an economy that was in near complete collapse. An economy that FG had to borrow to pay salaries in March and April of this year.

Only objective minds will appreciate the battle that the new govt faces in taking us to the glorious days.

It's an act of idiocy for supporters of GEJ who didn't complain about his poor performance in 5.5 years to lament about Buhari's 100 days in office.

Had GEJ and his team won the last election, Nigeria would have been bankrupted by PDP.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by frankyychiji(f): 1:50pm On Sep 07, 2015
PassingShot:

See "painment"!
I am not only pained , I am wailing and profusely too! Shall we then sit back and fold our arms while watching this gerontocratic medieval certificateless cow herder to mortgage our present and future existence even though he told the world that we are in the 5%? Answer me !

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by PassingShot(m): 1:55pm On Sep 07, 2015
frankyychiji:
I am not only pained , I am wailing and profusely too! Shall we then sit back and fold our arms while watching this gerontocratic medieval certificateless cow herder to mortgage our present and future existence even though he told the world that we are in the 5%? Answer me !
Your answer:

17 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by EasternLionn: 1:56pm On Sep 07, 2015
Zoo must fall.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by philfrey08: 1:59pm On Sep 07, 2015
Stench belief instead. angry

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by Nobody: 1:59pm On Sep 07, 2015
Ok

“Industry operators cannot take investment decisions based on [the president’s] body language.” Useless Industry Operators that have sucked the country dry..useless set of players..nonsense angry

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by anonimi: 1:59pm On Sep 07, 2015

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by BlackrulesDworld(m): 2:00pm On Sep 07, 2015
In the next four years it will still be short tested.
That will be the new motto for bubu to be re-elected that he cant clean all the mess the clueless left in office between those short years. Be wise, nothing good will come out from this TRIBALIST REGIME!

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 07, 2015
However, as Vincent Nwani of Lagos chamber of commerce and industry recently wrote: “Industry operators cannot take investment decisions based on [the president’s] body language.

Lol!!!this is damn hilarious!!! So Buhari magical body language is not even enough to motivate investors!!! How did we end in this one man show inept government

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 07, 2015
ok.
Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by tucky200(m): 2:02pm On Sep 07, 2015
Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by modath(f): 2:02pm On Sep 07, 2015
PassingShot:

Your answer:

5 bottles of orijin for you.. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by petkoffDrake(m): 2:03pm On Sep 07, 2015
summry
Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by SLIDEwaxie(m): 2:03pm On Sep 07, 2015
lol...wailers..

one thing for sure, even when the oil price was $150 we went broke...at less than $50 foreign reserve increases.

take it or leave, he will deliver...

quote me and die young!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 07, 2015
The dullard has nothing to offer the country. He is an actor. Buhari is a scam! Period!

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 07, 2015
Time shall tell
Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by Gogetta(m): 2:07pm On Sep 07, 2015
frankyychiji:
Go and die! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by Lucasbible: 2:16pm On Sep 07, 2015
“Industry operators cannot take investment decisions based on the president’s body language.”

Killer Punch

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by miqos02(m): 2:17pm On Sep 07, 2015
pom pom
Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by Guyman02: 2:18pm On Sep 07, 2015
While the South is placing their brothers on the platform to be slaughtered under the mantra of fighting corruption the North under Buhari is consolidating power. Even the sacked Policeman Zakari Biu who helped Boko Haram has been reinstated and Marylin Ogar who was the DSS spokesman and exposed boko haram has been fired.
The north has not indicted anyone of their own to be crucified in the media blitz of fighting corruption.

PMB deceived the Yorubas who continue to sing his praise and appointed one of them as his public image maker same way they sing and DOBALE for the Fulani Emir of Ilorin Yorubaland in Kwara State.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by 989900: 2:20pm On Sep 07, 2015
The economy is taking a hit no doubt, but things could have been much worse if PDP won.

We gave Buhari a mandate of roughly 1500 days. I want fast changes, especially with the economy, but I won't be screaming murder in 100 days.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by wellmax(m): 2:20pm On Sep 07, 2015
okay
Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by PassingShot(m): 2:20pm On Sep 07, 2015
modath:

5 bottles of orijin for you.. smiley
grin grin grin grin

The thing pain am!
Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 07, 2015
another 4 years they hungry me to vote buhari again...
Re: Nigeria's Staunch Belief In New President Being Sorely Tested - The Guardian by yomalex(m): 2:21pm On Sep 07, 2015
That's very True

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fela Durotoye Receives Certificate Of Return As Official Flag Bearer Of ANN / Press Release: School Feeding Programme Reaches 17 States / Adedeji Stanley Olajide Chase Journalists Out Of COVID-19 Probe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.