Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,010 members, 7,821,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP (25797 Views)

ASUU: ASUP Warns FG Of Impending Strike / Reason For Our Low CGPA - 37 Kano Students Undergoing B.sc Nursing In Egypt / UK Universities With The Highest First Cass Degrees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by marked10(m): 4:15pm On Sep 09, 2015
The Federal Government has been urged to grant polytechnics in the country the right to award degrees to their students, independent of universities so as to stop the discrimination between polytechnic and university graduates. This has been a subject the FG try as much as possible to give a deaf ear to but yet the matter will always be presented.

The Federal Government has been urged to grant polytechnics in the country the right to award degrees to their students, independent of universities. The National President, Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP), Comrade Chibuzor Asomugha, made the call in Kano when the union conferred an award of excellence on the immediate-past Minister of Education, Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau.

Asomugha said the discrimination between polytechnic and university graduates calls for urgent action, including granting the right to award degrees to the former.

“We have pleaded with government to actually grant the polytechnics the right to award degrees – we are saying this because we know that government is a continuum and that there are people in this hall, whom we know will, again, control the reins of government in this country and we are praying that when the time comes, they would remember our plea,” he said.

The union boss said it is unfair that polytechnic graduates have to suffer discrimination even though the same lecturers that teach them teach their university counterparts. "You train a graduate, give him a Bachelor’s degree in Kaduna Polytechnic or Yabatech or Oko, and the certificate would bear ABU or BUK.

“But this same person has been taught by the same lecturers and the same facilities as the HND holders and these HND holders move into the market with the same people who have passed through the same class and they are discriminated against.

“They are said to be lower in intellect and acumen and they had been in the same class with these people taught by the same lecturers and at a point in their career, they are stopped at Grade level 14 while their colleagues would go ahead of them, manning them."

Asomugha indicted the government for not paying "proper attention" to the problem over the years, adding that industries suffering as students abandon polytechnics for degrees.

“The manpower to man these industries, the core technical experts to man industries is not there anymore. People would prefer to go and read Philosophy or Public Administration, instead of studying engineering in the polytechnics just because they would not like to have HND.

"I think that government would have to do a rethink.” The B.Sc/HND dichotomy has been a major issue in the education sector for a long while.

http://www.exlinklodge.com/2015/09/hnd-bsc-saga-grant-polytechnics-right.html#sthash.KzgaYAxS.dpuf

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by Vicel: 4:16pm On Sep 09, 2015
Not advisable

6 Likes

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by OVI75(m): 4:27pm On Sep 09, 2015
DESPITE HAVING AN OND,MOST POLYTECHNICS ARE NOT FIT TO RUN SOME OF THE PROGRAMMES TALK MORE OF AWARDING DEGREES PERIOD.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by Franchise21(m): 4:32pm On Sep 09, 2015
OK... Let the debate begin!!!
Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 09, 2015
I feel for polytechnic graduates. But to think of it, BSc graduates never settle finish yet, you would now add polytechnic too? The solution is more universities, jobs and less corruption.

2 Likes

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by NinaArsenal(f): 4:33pm On Sep 09, 2015
I support ASUP.

7 Likes

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by zimoni(f): 4:33pm On Sep 09, 2015
Good move.

It's either FG change the Polytechnics to Universities of Engineering or kuku scrap polytechnic education in Nigeria. I feel for the HND holders, they spend 5years to obtain HND yet people discriminate against them. In some instances, they don't even allow them to apply for some jobs. Sometimes when they apply, their credentials are screened out. You can only only prove your brilliance and competence when you are invited for an interview.
I witness this when I was doing my 6-month Industrial Training at Civil-Maintenance Department OAUTHC Ile-Ife. Too badt.

The aim and objective of Poly education in Nigeria have been derailed. Everything is banga banga in this nation, we have a long way to go.

Lawd Have Mercy.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by odinese(m): 4:33pm On Sep 09, 2015
.stvpid Nigerian governments..

Grant grant grant!!!

But their fvcked up children never skoool in the country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by daniska3yaro(m): 4:33pm On Sep 09, 2015
Nigeria my country
Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by aaamos(m): 4:33pm On Sep 09, 2015
k
Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by tmv10(m): 4:33pm On Sep 09, 2015
Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by adorablepepple(f): 4:33pm On Sep 09, 2015
Will that ever happen? I don't think so
Will that increase job opportunities?? I don't think so
Will the degree change Anything? I don't think so

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by PissedOffWeed(m): 4:34pm On Sep 09, 2015
How will this create jobs!!!! angry

1 Like

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by tolexy007(m): 4:34pm On Sep 09, 2015
cheesy
Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 09, 2015
grin
Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by jackpot(f): 4:34pm On Sep 09, 2015
FG should do the needful
Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by tunmmyunited(m): 4:34pm On Sep 09, 2015
Govt shud do sumtin fast, dis has been a major issue 4 a very long time!
Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by 2Cents: 4:34pm On Sep 09, 2015
Butter nor be monkey food

1 Like

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by marqueetim(m): 4:35pm On Sep 09, 2015
if they do this, BSc becomes very cheap and ultimately wages will fall drastically. Meanwhile this politicians and the Nigerian factor would never allow prices of commodities to fall. Consequently more hardship for the people.
Please anybody interested in BSc can still go further. I have seen a lot of people doing it. In conclusion, BSc /HND wunt deny you God's plan for your life.
You might not become the CEO of someone else's company,but you can still become CEO of your own.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by Nobody: 4:35pm On Sep 09, 2015
Well....it is really all about status....not academic standards.

Frankly speaking....there is nothing wrong with HND. One of my uncles had HND....and was a very very successful businessman. He even went back to school for MBA.

The problem is...because Nigeria is not an industrial society.....there is a lack of jobs for OND/HND graduates. Instead....they have to compete with University grads for a limited number of jobs.....and yes., employers prefer university graduates. Hence....the current push.

Nigeria must get off oil and industrialise.....so that our poly graduates would be useful to the society.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by jazinogold(m): 4:35pm On Sep 09, 2015
all na certificate....Bsc graduates never fit use him own get better job yet dem wan add poly join!

but some companies like polytechnic graduates o. ..dy prefer them to university graduatesgrin but na peanut dem dy pay them!

BSC or HND na to make heaven sure pass!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by kwaraguy(m): 4:35pm On Sep 09, 2015
Hehehe
Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by pet4ril(f): 4:36pm On Sep 09, 2015
I tire when some BSC's can't stand some of the ND holders not to talk of HND in some institutions. ..especially in terms of practical fields

7 Likes

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by xclusivelyurs(m): 4:36pm On Sep 09, 2015
4wat Mak dem no try am oh
Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by Shittaakeem(m): 4:36pm On Sep 09, 2015
“The manpower to man these industries, the core technical experts to man industries is not there anymore. People would prefer to go and read Philosophy or Public Administration, instead of studying engineering in the polytechnics just because they would not like to have HND.[/b]
So true[b]

8 Likes

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by FBLJ(m): 4:36pm On Sep 09, 2015
OVI75:
DESPITE HAVING AN OND,MOST POLYTECHNICS ARE NOT FIT TO RUN SOME OF THE PROGRAMMES TALK MORE OF AWARDING DEGREES PERIOD.
Most you said. and that is the truth, but there many that are better than some Universities.

4 Likes

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by elohorayodele: 4:38pm On Sep 09, 2015
No diff in quality btw both, same shitty facilities.

5 Likes

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by inevitableme(m): 4:38pm On Sep 09, 2015
No need for that Mr Asup president! All you need ask the Govt is create practical jobs!!! And beside most polytechnic are to well equips to harbor some degree course. I wish the Asup president should say "equips the polytechnic so as we can award degree course".

3 Likes

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by door2(m): 4:38pm On Sep 09, 2015
Mumu pple dey there. Person wey no go sch de control person wey get maters.u sit down dey do saga. I laugh u.
Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by andrew12(m): 4:39pm On Sep 09, 2015
Pace in edu
Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by MRBENZENE(m): 4:39pm On Sep 09, 2015
they r two different institution.

my problem is this man went to kano to ask gov to grant something impossible while not ask 4 upgrading of polytechnic in each geo political zone that would have been better.
in developed countries HND holders have a place in the job market but like a developing country like ours its a different story.

1 Like

Re: HND & B.sc. Saga: "Grant Polytechnics The Right To Award Degrees" - ASUP by Anthony0094(m): 4:39pm On Sep 09, 2015
OVI75:
and what are ur contributions?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

N1m For Business Or Free Education: Which One Will You Choose? / TETFUND Projects In Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma - Thompson Jotham / Why We Made Pantami Professor — FUTO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.