Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster (81701 Views)

A Healthy Liver Vs A Liver Damaged By Alcohol (Disturbing Photo) / Follow These Nutrition Tips For A Healthy Heart / Help Before I Kill Myself. Body Odour Has Turned Me To A Recluse. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by DrObum(m): 1:10pm On Sep 11, 2015
Change2015:

To be honest I have had many interactions with our doctors, and they just scare me with their general lack of awareness of modern treatments. Patients needs to research their diagnosis and treatment intelligently. They do not even mention the name of the doctor or the hospital and if this case is to be credible the prescriber of the drug must explain his own role.
Why not check what Steven Johnson Syndrome is on Google before you spill your half baked knowledge.

Any where in the world, people react to certain drugs like that. The situation has nothing to do with the doctor nor the company.

1 Like

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by DrObum(m): 1:17pm On Sep 11, 2015
figoperch:

Very enlightened post from you. The doctor is expected to find out from the history of the patient if there's any allergic reactions to some drugs. Tests should have been conducted. In fact, the doctor, GSK and sometimes the patient may be at fault.

I've seen a situations where patients Dont want to wait for test results. They just say doctor, give me something now now.

Even after taking allergy history, one could still experience this.

Mind you, history taking is a story of what the patient has experienced before, so could be that he doesn't know himself to have any allergies to allopurinol nor Sulphur drugs.

A colleague of mine had the same Steven Johnson Syndrome after taking ART for PEP, and that doesn't make the drug company liable or the prescribing doctor stupid, it's one of those adverse reactions that occur in life.

Being enlightened, he simply stopped the drug and was managed intensively.

Nigerians just seeking opportunities to tongue-lash others whereas it's their ignorance at play.

3 Likes

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by acada111(f): 1:21pm On Sep 11, 2015
kaeforum:

I dont mean those native doctors u see in nolly wood, I meant alternative medcine, via the use of herbs, fruits and other things given to us by nature.
We have organizations like tianshi,GNLD and others that have good alternatives, a little research by the victim would have spared his life, may he RIP.

Na u kill am undecided?
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by DrObum(m): 1:22pm On Sep 11, 2015
Spirit1:

This absolutely has nothing to do with GSK. Steven Johnsons Syndrome is a very well known side effect of this drug (Zyloric)

The doctor should have warned the patient of the potential side effect. This is what happens when doctors hide the names of the medication they are giving to patients or do not appropriately educate their patients.
The pharmacist who sold the drug is also liable as he/she should have warned the patient too.

What will need in Nigeria is a legislation on patient's bill of rights. It is the right of the patient's to be educated by their healthcare providers about medications and treatment options.

Nigerian doctors sometimes act like demi-gods. It is the patient's life and they have the right to ask questions; ANY question.

By the way, keep in mind that every medication is a potential poison. There are thousands of different medications that we all take every day that can cause this and more.

I wish him a speedy recovery.
You can make a point without painting the poor doctor as bad or incompetent.

I take time to explain drug reactions to patients but does that mean it can't or wouldn't occur NO! It could still happen.

You weren't in that consulting room, you're only reading what a blogger wrote. So read and comment with an enlightened mind and save this unnecessary aspersions on the noble medical profession.

2 Likes

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by UjSizzle(f): 1:37pm On Sep 11, 2015
I know some of the drugs have leaflets which states their usage and potential reactions. Do people even bother to read these things at all?

That said, it's really a sad situation. I can't imagine not being able to work up a tear for the rest of my natural life... Wow!

Nigerians please read and pay attention to your body when you take drugs. You should be able to spot changes and the slightest reaction to anything new ingested. We can't afford to be careless about this please.
It's easy to blame the doctors and Pharm Co. but how well can you answer a question as simple as, "Do you have a medical history?"
Or "Are their substances you're allergic to?"
How many people can respond to that hmm? You ingest something today and a rash breaks out on your skin. It looks so small it could be mosquitoe bites for all you know. Tomorrow you're still taking the same substance and your brain never for once imagines you should discontinue use. That's weird.
Even your body cream tells you of possible side effects and when to discontinue use and whom certain products are unsuitable for.

Yes there is an epidemic of practitioners who offer substandard services, but let's also learn to be responsible for ourselves.

I wish the family strength to get through this.

2 Likes

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by jcross19: 1:37pm On Sep 11, 2015
miteolu:
Look like this is spiritual. May God be with the guy.
I spotted your comment and I think you are wiser than all those people posting foolishness on the thread. When they use physical treatment or drugs to treat a spiritual attack victim , it make the condition worsen.

1 Like

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by ugbah007: 1:46pm On Sep 11, 2015
Na wa
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by gulfer: 1:52pm On Sep 11, 2015
Lost a cousin to this in 2009, I froze when I saw him before death at LASUTH and it has continued to haunt me. I did a little research after his death and below two steps might have saved him according to what I read.
1. Stop the medication immediately-he did not know and never stopped.
2. The hospital resorted to conventional burns treatment and we eventually lost him. Aloe Vera was mentioned online as a very good restorative aid before it becomes severe.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by stonecoldcafe: 1:53pm On Sep 11, 2015
ibkgab001:
Drug meant for Gorilla is been shipped to Nigeria for testing And evaluation

Go to school una nor go gree.
Put head for book - u say no.
Where was this drug prescribed?

A) Nigeria
B) Burkina Faso
C) I don't know, let me go and read again

1 Like

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by 400billionman: 1:56pm On Sep 11, 2015
Anything i write here is my personal opinion borne out of my experiences.

I DONT TAKE DRUGS. INJECTION ? Dont go there..

Yes, because the natural disease fighters are right inside our bodies. What i take are natural immune boosters. Assorted fruits and vegetables. I do not take articially packaged supplements either.

Life is precious to waste via junk medication. If this banker had no money to travel abroad, his own don be. Sometimes if i experience a health condition i have never seen before, i consult the internet before going for a medical test.

Acute Boils are caused by Stapphylococus aerus which can be treated with Ampiclox. But when you go for a medical test they will bill you to the high heavens after scribbling unreadable nonsense on paper. You end up paying N3500 for test and N4500 on drugs for a condition you can treat with N300. It is your organs they are weighing down with those junk medication leading to adverse body reacions.

GOOGLE is a friend.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by 400billionman: 1:59pm On Sep 11, 2015
ibkgab001:
Drug meant for Gorilla is been shipped to Nigeria for testing And evaluation

grin grin
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Keepshining(f): 2:13pm On Sep 11, 2015
metronaija:

With the help of Joseph Edgar – a popular blogger and investment banker , www.metronaija.com was able to get this very surreal tale of a banker, Charles Oben, whose life took a dramatically destructive turn in the course of seeking a healthy life.

A healthy Charles Oben
It started when Charles who worked with the UBA was posted to Burkina Faso and in his usual meticulous self visited a Cardiologist for a routine check. They found out that his urea level was high and the drug Zyloric (manufactured by Glaxo Smithkline (GSK) Pharmaceuticals) was prescribed. He bought the drug for about N1,300 and dutifully took administered dosage. However in less than 36 hours his life was turned into a living hell.

Blisters, skin peeling, eyes destroyed, bleeding from everywhere, bed sores and everything imaginable became his plight. His wife Joan flew in, saw her husband and melted. His children came in and ran away. Mirrors where kept away from him.

Charles condition is known as the Stephen Johnson Syndrome (SJS) typically caused by a severe allergic reaction to a medication. SJS usually begins with a Stevens Johnson Syndrome rash that can lead to blistering, severe peeling and open sores. The condition is a serious and potentially life-threatening disease .
Charles was eventually evacuated to the UK with the private efforts of Joan and his family and there he received succor but with lasting side effects. He has had two cornea replacement surgeries and much more devastating is the fact that he cannot shed a tear for the rest of his natural life. He has been confined to the use of artificial tear inducing drugs which he buys from America at the cost of $200 monthly.
He has dragged Glaxo Smithkline the manufacturer of the drug to court for the irreparable damages to his life.
Joan, Charles’ dedicated wife wants the Nigerian government to push the pharmaceutical companies in the country to take proactive steps in warning consumers not only about the side effect of their drugs, but also about the severity that such side effects may escalate.

She said, “drug companies will stop taking advantage of the populace. That legislation should force them to write the warnings in the right language and in the right context in the leaflet. If Zyloric, or any of its other commercial names can possibly lead to SJS, which can lead to blindness and death, it should say so on the drug and it should say so in the local language. English for Nigeria.”

http://www.metronaija.com/2015/09/photos-how-gsk-drug-turned-healthy.html

cc: lalasticlala ishilove
OMG this is damn serious! God have mercy.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 11, 2015
the same thing happen to my friend after taking alamal anti malaria play play rashes skin burn when I went to hospital to visit him I almost died of shock I couldn't recognized my friend of 30 yrs like he was thrown inside acid may god punish all fake drug producers
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Lekewatt(m): 2:33pm On Sep 11, 2015
not d gsk i work. we are not even aware of ds poo. in gsk, safety is our watch word. litigation we try to avoid. gsk, we help u to do more, feel better n live longer.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Change2015(m): 2:35pm On Sep 11, 2015
DrObum:

Why not check what Steven Johnson Syndrome is on Google before you spill your half baked knowledge.

Any where in the world, people react to certain drugs like that. The situation has nothing to do with the doctor nor the company.

Half-baked is your assumption that there was no existing literature about the drugs potential side effects, no matter how rare. Ignorant, is your assumption that a doctor does not need to communicate properly with his patient and make him or her aware of the positives and negatives of his advice and actions. Please go on, throw your hands up and 'leave it to God' as you revel in your own docility.

1 Like

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Lekewatt(m): 2:39pm On Sep 11, 2015
jcross19:
I spotted your comment and I think you are wiser than all those people posting foolishness on the thread. When they use physical treatment or drugs to treat a spiritual attack victim , it make the condition worsen.
spiritual ke? Nigerians never stop making me laff

1 Like

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by NICOGRAVITY: 2:40pm On Sep 11, 2015
oreos:

What makes you think that I needed healing? Pray for yourself and your family first

Thanks so Much. Am very very very sorry I offended you. I humbly apologize.
I'm praying for myself and families too.
In it all, have a great weekend.
God be with you and bless you.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by NICOGRAVITY: 2:41pm On Sep 11, 2015
oreos:

What makes you think that I needed healing? Pray for yourself and your family first

Thanks so Much. Am very very very sorry I offended you. I humbly apologize.
I'm praying for myself and families too.
In it all, have a great weekend.
God be with you and bless you
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by gbodimowo(m): 2:48pm On Sep 11, 2015
Berrylite:
HYPERSENSITIVITY...The doctor who prescribed this medication to him must have been ignorant of his medical record which is a blunder in Molecular medicine.
Thats the reason i prefer good herbal preparation.
Watch out for introduction of herbal medicine into course outline of medical students in Nigeria. The race has started!!!!

did u even read d post at all?
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by chyket(m): 3:07pm On Sep 11, 2015
Thank you OP for this story.I learnt so much from this and i will be very careful with drugs.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by nervorum: 3:14pm On Sep 11, 2015
metronaija:

With the help of Joseph Edgar – a popular blogger and investment banker , www.metronaija.com was able to get this very surreal tale of a banker, Charles Oben, whose life took a dramatically destructive turn in the course of seeking a healthy life.

A healthy Charles Oben
It started when Charles who worked with the UBA was posted to Burkina Faso and in his usual meticulous self visited a Cardiologist for a routine check. They found out that his urea level was high and the drug Zyloric (manufactured by Glaxo Smithkline (GSK) Pharmaceuticals) was prescribed. He bought the drug for about N1,300 and dutifully took administered dosage. However in less than 36 hours his life was turned into a living hell.

Blisters, skin peeling, eyes destroyed, bleeding from everywhere, bed sores and everything imaginable became his plight. His wife Joan flew in, saw her husband and melted. His children came in and ran away. Mirrors where kept away from him.

Charles condition is known as the Stephen Johnson Syndrome (SJS) typically caused by a severe allergic reaction to a medication. SJS usually begins with a Stevens Johnson Syndrome rash that can lead to blistering, severe peeling and open sores. The condition is a serious and potentially life-threatening disease .
Charles was eventually evacuated to the UK with the private efforts of Joan and his family and there he received succor but with lasting side effects. He has had two cornea replacement surgeries and much more devastating is the fact that he cannot shed a tear for the rest of his natural life. He has been confined to the use of artificial tear inducing drugs which he buys from America at the cost of $200 monthly.
He has dragged Glaxo Smithkline the manufacturer of the drug to court for the irreparable damages to his life.
Joan, Charles’ dedicated wife wants the Nigerian government to push the pharmaceutical companies in the country to take proactive steps in warning consumers not only about the side effect of their drugs, but also about the severity that such side effects may escalate.

She said, “drug companies will stop taking advantage of the populace. That legislation should force them to write the warnings in the right language and in the right context in the leaflet. If Zyloric, or any of its other commercial names can possibly lead to SJS, which can lead to blindness and death, it should say so on the drug and it should say so in the local language. English for Nigeria.”

http://www.metronaija.com/2015/09/photos-how-gsk-drug-turned-healthy.html

cc: lalasticlala ishilove

While i repect your opinion, its important we put things in perspective as we report.

Reading this piece, one would think the drug he took was substandard or that GSK made a bad 'drug'

Every drug/medicament is potentially toxic, however we admininster them if the benefit outweighs their side effects or in some cases, adverse effect.

Zyloric is a brand of allopurinol.

One of the adverse effects of allopurinol in humans is that it can cause extensive epidermal necrosis aka Stevens Johnsons syndrome. The incidence is low, but anybody could be in this unfortunate minority.

Who would develop certain reaction to a supposedly safe medication would depend on genetic makeup mostly, and other factors (idiosyncratic).

That is why its advisable to immediately stop any drug you react to and importantly, report any adverse reaction.

I wish him well.

I hope we all learn that every drug is potentially 'dangerous'

Ps: always read drug labels to know what to expect in worst case scenrio.i hope he wins his case against GSK

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by tuoyoojo(m): 3:19pm On Sep 11, 2015
The case wud be hard o. I browsed about the drug and steve johnson is part of d side effect of the drug

"Hypersensitivity syndrome, SJS and TEN

Allopurinol should be withdrawn IMMEDIATELY when a skin rash or other evidence of sensitivity occurs as this could result in more serious hypersensitivity reactions, (including Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS), and toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN)) and hypersensitivity syndrome (also known as Drug Rash with Eosinophilia and Systemic Symptoms, DRESS) (see section 4.cool."
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by IceDude(m): 3:27pm On Sep 11, 2015
DrObum:

GSK has done no wrong bro!

It's an adverse drug reaction which anyone could have.

He's just unfortunate to be amongst those that reacts to the drug that way.
Alright Doc, tnx for the enlightenment

1 Like

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by DrObum(m): 3:27pm On Sep 11, 2015
Change2015:

Half-baked is your assumption that there was no existing literature about the drugs potential side effects, no matter how rare. Ignorant, is your assumption that a doctor does not need to communicate properly with his patient and make him or her aware of the positives and negatives of his advice and actions. Please go on, throw your hands up and 'leave it to God' as you revel in your own docility.
And you my dear friend was in the consulting room to know the details of the discussion that ensued there.

My point is, try to know the realities of medical practice in different climes before looking for who to tongue-lash!

1 Like

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by nervorum: 3:29pm On Sep 11, 2015
400billionman:
Anything i write here is my personal opinion borne out of my experiences.

I DONT TAKE DRUGS. INJECTION ? Dont go there..

Yes, because the natural disease fighters are right inside our bodies. What i take are natural immune boosters. Assorted fruits and vegetables. I do not take articially packaged supplements either.

Life is precious to waste via junk medication. If this banker had no money to travel abroad, his own don be. Sometimes if i experience a health condition i have never seen before, i consult the internet before going for a medical test.

Acute Boils are caused by Stapphylococus aerus which can be treated with Ampiclox. But when you go for a medical test they will bill you to the high heavens after scribbling unreadable nonsense on paper. You end up paying N3500 for test and N4500 on drugs for a condition you can treat with N300. It is your organs they are weighing down with those junk medication leading to adverse body reacions.

GOOGLE is a friend.

You, sir, are a public health risk
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by nervorum: 3:35pm On Sep 11, 2015
DrObum:

Even after taking allergy history, one could still experience this.

Mind you, history taking is a story of what the patient has experienced before, so could be that he doesn't know himself to have any allergies to allopurinol nor Sulphur drugs.

A colleague of mine had the same Steven Johnson Syndrome after taking ART for PEP, and that doesn't make the drug company liable or the prescribing doctor stupid, it's one of those adverse reactions that occur in life.

Being enlightened, he simply stopped the drug and was managed intensively.

Nigerians just seeking opportunities to tongue-lash others whereas it's their ignorance at play.

Well said.

Again the degree of the reaction would depend on when you seek help.

This degree of epidermal exfoliation did not happen suddenly.

Again this beg the issue of the health seeking habit of our people.

Things like this could be dismissed initially as spiritual among an 'educated' people who would bath with brine water to kill ebola.

2 Likes

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Samgreguc(m): 3:36pm On Sep 11, 2015
Dokitadotun:
SJS is a drug reaction anybody can have if you r prone to it. It is neither the doctor or the company is liable here. Since there is no molecular biology tech in most hosp in developing countries there is.little anybdy can do. The doctor only needs to hv asked for personal or family history of sjs. The company is not at fault in any way nor the doctor if he ask for adequate info from d patient before prescribing d drug. Even paracetamol can cause sjs.

@Acidosis and miss, It is not a pharmcologist that is needed here but a moleculr biologist who would have determine his HLA. Even if his HLA is determined it is not 100% accurate to say he will have sjs with d drug or not.
The Pharmacist(who is also a pharmacologist) is a drug expert so, he is expected to have pointed that out.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by 400billionman: 3:37pm On Sep 11, 2015
nervorum:

You, sir, are a public health risk

That is your useless opinion. When you see something you dont understand, either ask questions or keep quiet.

I dont care if you are a doctor or not, people still die in their hands like Charles Oben could have died. Being wise and being educated are two different things.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Samgreguc(m): 3:38pm On Sep 11, 2015
Acidosis:
and please people should learn how to read the instructions regarding the contra-indications, pharmacology, etc., attached by the manufacturers. Some Doctors are known for churning out drugs without proper instructions as to when to stop when certain reactions occur. Read the manual carefully; some Doctors have no clue, some with fair understanding won't tell you, others are just too busy.

Do not depend on your Doctor for total safety; go online and read more on the prescribed drug (unless you're taking the regular OTC drugs.)

Especially those on Antipsychotic, anti-depressants drugs - most of these drugs are known for severe adverse reactions. Some of these drugs lead to death, cardiac arrest, dementia, severe seizures, Parkinson disease, just to name a few.

AGBO!! AKA Alternative Medicine remains the best method of treatment for Africans.
If he got that drug directly from a pharmacist without advice on the drug use, then I blame the pharmacist.

But, then it is possible he failed to report the initial side effects to the physician or pharmacist for advice.
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by DrObum(m): 3:41pm On Sep 11, 2015
gulfer:
Lost a cousin to this in 2009, I froze when I saw him before death at LASUTH and it has continued to haunt me. I did a little research after his death and below two steps might have saved him according to what I read.
1. Stop the medication immediately-he did not know and never stopped.
2. The hospital resorted to conventional burns treatment and we eventually lost him. Aloe Vera was mentioned online as a very good restorative aid before it becomes severe.
Reading your post, I felt why most nigerians would just look for who to tongue-lash in situations like this.

It's a pity you lost a cousin to this.

The painful truth is that, in your own case, i'll hold the managing medical team responsible for your cousin still continuing that drug despite his reaction. Means they left a few loose ends in their management, if not they would've stopped the drug.

But on your despair of his management as being like the typical burn case, i'll tell you they were right.
Regardless of how it happened, when the epidermis (outer layer of the skin) is lost, he faces the same risk as a burns patient and so they are managed similarly.

Those online stuffs about aloe Vera should be downplayed in your mind cos they start becoming a bit relevant when you're now fully concerned about re-epithelisation ie when you've saved the patient from the immediate causes of death (dehydration and infection).

Part of the problem is that we've lost so much confidence in the system that when things go wrong, we think that the professionals goofed.

1 Like

Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by Samgreguc(m): 3:42pm On Sep 11, 2015
Berrylite:
HYPERSENSITIVITY...The doctor who prescribed this medication to him must have been ignorant of his medical record which is a blunder in Molecular medicine.
Thats the reason i prefer good herbal preparation.
Watch out for introduction of herbal medicine into course outline of medical students in Nigeria. The race has started!!!!
Introduction of herbal medicine into course outline of medical students? What happened to the proposed traditional medicine profession?
Re: Charles Oben: GSK Drug Turned A Healthy Banker Into A Monster by ibkgab001: 3:42pm On Sep 11, 2015
You may be next victim of ritroviroexalamacala

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ekiti Government Speaks On Coronavirus In The State As American Man Dies / Nigerian Tailors Making Face Masks And Overalls To Fight Coronavirus - CNN / Mysterious Disease In Benue, Nigeria Kills 15 People, Affects Over 100

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.