Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,782 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Is It A Culture Thing? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It A Culture Thing? (1025 Views)

Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture / Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? / 5 Tips For Blending Into A New Culture When You Relocate. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Culture Thing? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 11, 2015
Ever since I was old enough to know good from bad, it has got me thinking about certain things. One of which I intend to share below and get honest and logical opinions.
There is this trend I found among adults and older folks. If for example a man or woman is known to have an awful character and such acts are known publicly, people often accord such people same respect they give to people who are of reputable character especially if that person of awful deeds is wealthy or aged.
Take for example, that one man who is known to be a philanderer even of which he sleeps with people's wives. The next morning people will greet him with a lively smile and even ask of his welfare.
Or that woman known to be a gossip and slander will be greeted even by a victim of her tongue.
Now am talking about real awful acts some peeps do, people know and discuss but when they see these peeps they act all nice.
My question is this, aren't we a part of it since we keep quiet about such things rather than confront such peeps and correct them?
I for one find it hard and not in my nature to maintain any form of rapport or even greet such people because I will feel am faking it, since it's not from my heart.
Please share your opinions.
Re: Is It A Culture Thing? by cococandy(f): 6:18pm On Sep 11, 2015
undecided undecided
Re: Is It A Culture Thing? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Sep 11, 2015
cococandy:
undecided undecided
What?
Re: Is It A Culture Thing? by freakthingz(m): 6:21pm On Sep 11, 2015
Ehh ow even some agberos
You'll even call them sir
Just to avoid gra gra
grin
Re: Is It A Culture Thing? by cococandy(f): 6:26pm On Sep 11, 2015
blublahd:

What?
What?

If people stopped talking to you and stopped greeting because of your own perceived horrible attitude, how would you feel? Abi you think you don't have any habits that anyone can complain about?

You're basically saying to snub anyone you heard did one bad thing or the other. BTW it will always be hearsay as you weren't there when they did it. And even if you were, won't make a difference.

Or worse still confront someone about something that's none of your business.
Like a neighbor whom you heard cheats on his wife. And wifey didn't come complaining to you.
You want to confront the man and tell him you heard through the gossip mills that he's been cheating?
Someone that's not your brother or friend.

Hian. People have died for less reasons o.
Love your life and guard it with your mouth.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Culture Thing? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 11, 2015
cococandy:
What?

If people stopped talking to you and stopped greeting because of your own perceived horrible attitude, how would you feel? Abi you think you don't have any habits that anyone can complain about?

You're basically saying to snub anyone you heard did one bad thing or the other. BTW it will always be hearsay as you weren't there when they did it. And even if you were, won't make a difference.

Or worse still confront someone about something that's none of your business.
Like a neighbor whom you heard cheats on his wife. And wifey didn't come complaining to you.
You want to confront the man and tell him you heard through the gossip mills that he's been cheating?
Someone that's not your brother or friend.

Hian. People have died for less reasons o.
Love your life and guard it with your mouth.
Not through gossip this is a known fact, something that as well been done to you also.
I knew it would come to your own "bad habits" or seeming perfect.
Crab mentality, we are all in the mud none is better.
Of course it's stupid to snub anyone just on hearsay.
Re: Is It A Culture Thing? by cococandy(f): 6:39pm On Sep 11, 2015
blublahd:

Not through gossip this is a known fact, something that as well been done to you also.
I knew it would come to your own "bad habits" or seeming perfect.
Crab mentality, we are all in the mud none is better

Good
Re: Is It A Culture Thing? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 11, 2015
cococandy:

Good
WTF? You share that ideology?
Re: Is It A Culture Thing? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Sep 11, 2015
blublahd:
Ever since I was old enough to know good from bad, it has got me thinking about certain things. One of which I intend to share below and get honest and logical opinions.
There is this trend I found among adults and older folks. If for example a man or woman is known to have an awful character and such acts are known publicly, people often accord such people same respect they give to people who are of reputable character especially if that person of awful deeds is wealthy or aged.
Take for example, that one man who is known to be a philanderer even of which he sleeps with people's wives. The next morning people will greet him with a lively smile and even ask of his welfare.
Or that woman known to be a gossip and slander will be greeted even by a victim of her tongue.
Now am talking about real awful acts some peeps do, people know and discuss but when they see these peeps they act all nice.
My question is this, aren't we a part of it since we keep quiet about such things rather than confront such peeps and correct them?
I for one find it hard and not in my nature to maintain any form of rapport or even greet such people because I will feel am faking it, since it's not from my heart.
Please share your opinions.

Why do you judge people so harshly? You never err?

You can condemn a certain act or behavior but you should not condemn the human.

What if the philanderer is someone who saves lives? Is he good or bad? Worthy or unworthy respect?
Re: Is It A Culture Thing? by cococandy(f): 6:49pm On Sep 11, 2015
blublahd:

WTF? You share that ideology?
@bold. Yes.

Although it doesn't mean that anyone should support bad behavior.

But saying to snub or not greet someone because of something and they did, gives the impression that one thinks they are morally better.

If you have a personal stake in the matter and your feelings are hurt, then it's a different thing.

But if not, don't carry their sin on your head.
Re: Is It A Culture Thing? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Sep 11, 2015
Mindfulness:

Why do you judge people so harshly? You never err?

You can condemn a certain act or behavior but you should not condemn the human.

What if the philanderer is someone who saves lives? Is he good or bad? Worthy or unworthy respect?

What if he has ruined lives from his philandering activities?
I may have erred.
Re: Is It A Culture Thing? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 11, 2015
cococandy:

@bold. Yes.

Although it doesn't mean that anyone should support bad behavior.

But saying to snub or not greet someone because of something and they did, gives the impression that one thinks they are morally better.

If you have a personal stake in the matter and your feelings are hurt, then it's a different thing.

But if not, don't carry their sin on your head.
I was speaking of the bold.

(1) (Reply)

Angry People Earn More And Live Longer. True? / Guys...for You / Minimum Cost To Have A Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.