Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,053 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture (28967 Views)

Here Are 4 Essential Things A Man Must Possess Before Marriage. / A Typical Face-me-i-face-you Occupants / Pictures You Can Relate To If Your Mum Is A Typical African Mum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by Faceville: 6:13pm On Mar 02, 2018
Let me just go straight to the point.

1. Physical punishment. grin

Weastern culture will say its child abuse and some will even report you to the police. In Nigeria, the police dey look for whom to punish. So just pray as a child that you jejely receive the punishment from your parents. This point is a fact in every Nigerian home and I don't see it leaving anytime soon.

2. Flogging

Some parents will quote the bible here, that "if you spear the rod you will spoil the child". I actually have my own share of this sha

3. Clubbing cool

Even as adults we often lie to cover our going out especially clubbing.

4. Having a boyfriend or girlfriend and bringing such person home lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Lol. This is a really serious case with Nigerian Parents ohh. Unless you want to answer heavenly questions grin

5. Please add yours!

16 Likes

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by eleojo23: 7:54pm On Mar 02, 2018
6. You are never too old to be sent on errands.

You: "Mum I'm 18 now, don't send me on errands anyhow...In fact, I want to live alone now

Mum: Gives you a nasty look that resets your brain sharperly.

101 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by faruz: 7:54pm On Mar 02, 2018
angry
Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by Nobody: 7:54pm On Mar 02, 2018
Dose gais ontop me, una be cheetah angry

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by Harmored(m): 7:54pm On Mar 02, 2018
Using slippers to lie down on the chiar

You're finished

93 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by philo04(m): 7:55pm On Mar 02, 2018
try my mom......she fired my head with broom

8 Likes

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by asawanathegreat(m): 7:55pm On Mar 02, 2018
Hmmm no be lie oo
Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by IAmSkinny: 7:55pm On Mar 02, 2018
Hh

1 Like

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by Lexusgs430: 7:56pm On Mar 02, 2018
Having your sons girlfriend pregnant and residing in the same family home.....

11 Likes

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by Nobody: 7:56pm On Mar 02, 2018
Telling Them You Wanna Live Alone At 18

4 Likes

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by Criticize001(m): 7:56pm On Mar 02, 2018
Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by puregrace(m): 7:57pm On Mar 02, 2018
African parents in general

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by Nobody: 7:57pm On Mar 02, 2018
When she's ready to flog the hell outta you for 'copying' your lazy sibling, but would never touch the lazy one, SMH

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by uuzba(m): 7:58pm On Mar 02, 2018
ZubbyGodson:
Telling Them You Wanna Live Alone At 18

The issue of 18years is political.
-
Western countries have benefit system to cater for the poor/jobless adults. Then they have social services care for the Children from broken homes or orphans.
-
18 years is the appropriate age when they decide that a child is now an adult.
-
If you leave your parents home at 18 and wahala befalls you and you become a begger, they will take you off the streets and register you as an adult to receive benefits to stay alive till you can get a job. They will even try to find a job for you unless you are are so daft that you cannot even keep a job. Such daft persons deteriorate into drugs/prostitution and slowly end up in jail or dead.
--
In Nigeria/Africa such systems are not in place. If you leave your parents house at ANY age, you are on your own. NOBODY is obliged to help you. So either you stay at home and behave your self or you just f**k off and face the world like a full adult. Marry whatever lady you impregnate. Face your responsibility.

102 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by unbannable: 7:58pm On Mar 02, 2018
Sleepover

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by jiinxed: 7:58pm On Mar 02, 2018
Number 1 and 2 are the same undecided

8 Likes

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by soberdrunk(m): 7:58pm On Mar 02, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by Yankee101: 7:58pm On Mar 02, 2018
Having a form of godliness...but denying its power thereof

5 Likes

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by hahn(m): 7:59pm On Mar 02, 2018
Getting a job or passing an exam on merit

Nigerian parents will make sure they hook you up with someone they know or pay for a special center instead of leaving you to get the job or pass the exam based on your own effort

Then they will go to church and give testimony to Jehovah grin

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by Nobody: 7:59pm On Mar 02, 2018
I once asked an 18 year old girl what she wants to do at a club, she said i sounded like her mom.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by kullozone(m): 8:00pm On Mar 02, 2018
Telling a Naija mom or dad that you want to pursue your dreams (especialy music)when you are completely broke. If them insult you finish, you go find job the next day by force.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by Nobody: 8:02pm On Mar 02, 2018
I grew up around Westerners who were raised in a different way. My parents were extremely strict but the other kids were more responsible than me. I changed with time but I know that I will raise my kids differently 'cause not trusting your kids and being over-controlling does not lead to the desired results. The Nigerian society is proof of that.

67 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by afbstrategies: 8:02pm On Mar 02, 2018
cheesy
Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by chuksjuve(m): 8:05pm On Mar 02, 2018
African parents are the best parent in the world!!

A well trained African child is a marvel to the world..

Unlike their white or oyinbo counter part..

African patents are bae, irrespective of their methods of upbringing...

Argue with your ancestor

I'm out

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by ELgordo(m): 8:12pm On Mar 02, 2018
Ovoko ...nice 1 op

1 Like

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by obowunmi(m): 8:13pm On Mar 02, 2018
Forcing marriage on your children.

1 Like

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by sexdoll: 8:13pm On Mar 02, 2018
Anything concerning or related to homosexuality.

Don't call me homophobic but I also stand with Nigerian Parents on this 100%

10 Likes

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by King4Roller: 8:14pm On Mar 02, 2018
This demons we call parents

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by Suko110(m): 8:16pm On Mar 02, 2018
unbannable:
Sleepover
If ur fada ever hear dat statement you re finished. Sleepover ke grin grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Things A Typical Nigerian Parent Won't Accept From Western Culture by uac35(f): 8:17pm On Mar 02, 2018
eleojo23:
6. You are never too old to be sent on errands.

You: "Mum I'm 18 now, don't send me on errands anyhow...In fact, I want to live alone now

Mum: Gives you a nasty look that resets your brain sharperly.
very correct!!!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Japa: ‘many Nigerians Trapped In Illegal Marriage Contract Abroad’ / Lady Dedicates Her NYSC Certificate To Husband As She Completes Service (video) / My Wife Pretends To Be Sick Whenever I Ask For Sex - Man Laments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.