Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,646 members, 7,820,254 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

SEYI LAW: I Never Planned To Become A Comedian - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / SEYI LAW: I Never Planned To Become A Comedian (722 Views)

Seyi Law: I Gained Admission To Study Medicine Twice / Teju Babyface: "I Wasted 10 Years Of My Life As A Comedian" / Georgina Onuoha To Seyi Law: I Totally Agree With You On Kemi Olunloyo's Arrest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SEYI LAW: I Never Planned To Become A Comedian by Erave: 7:32pm On Sep 11, 2015
Popular comedian Idileoye Oluwaseyitan Lawrence Aletile better known as Seyi Law is one of the most sought after comic characters in the Nigerian entertainment scene. He shot into prominence in 2006 after winning AY’s Open MIC challenge. 10 years down the line, Seyi has effectively proved to be one of Nigeria’s gifted comedians.

In this chat with ERAVE, Seyi Law talked about his background, challenges faced by comedians, how he cheated death and other sundry issues.

You recently celebrated a decade doing comedy. How would you rate the experience?

It’s really been a journey which has left my heart full of gratitude. I tell people all the time that I didn’t plan to be a comedian. It was just my cousin who saw the talent in me and advised me that I can venture into comedy. When I started it in August 2005, he was the one who introduced me on stage for the first time. At a point, I just decided okay, I think I could live on this and it was at that point that I started asking myself ‘how is the first ten years going to be?’ If I would really succeed in this business, it means you are going to stay relevant for the first ten years, and by the special grace of God, the dream came true. It has really been wonderful all the way because I recently won two awards just a week after my ten years celebration.

What have been the challenges since you ventured into comedy business?

Anyone who comes into the comedy industry will tell you one of the greatest problems of the industry is recognition. Because comedy is not on the same level or as big as music yet, we also have a bit of a challenge in terms of respect. There are cases you are billed for an event with a musician and the organizers will only provide accommodation for the musician and expect the comedian to arrive the event from his home without proper accommodation in place. The musician will only perform for about fifteen minutes while the comedian will have to be present for the entire duration of the event. So some of these things are the things we see. Therefore, we want to always talk about recognition all the time.

How have you been able to break the language barrier in breaking into the international market?

(laughs) I have done English comedy for over one hour before without even speaking either Yoruba or Pigin English. The most important thing is to understand your audience and know what to say and when to say it. Once you understand that and you are able to improve on yourself, you don’t have a problem. As a matter of fact, I’m still going back to school very soon in order to get my English in proper shape because I feel the need.

Read more of the interview here http://eraveng.com/2015/09/11/seyi-law-i-never-planned-to-become-a-comedian/

1 Share

Re: SEYI LAW: I Never Planned To Become A Comedian by Nobody: 7:33pm On Sep 11, 2015
shocked
Re: SEYI LAW: I Never Planned To Become A Comedian by IamAtribalist: 7:33pm On Sep 11, 2015
cool
Re: SEYI LAW: I Never Planned To Become A Comedian by Jetjacky(m): 7:34pm On Sep 11, 2015
all this long talk.... hmph I wonder if you had do the same to someone drinking garri
Re: SEYI LAW: I Never Planned To Become A Comedian by Imortal001: 7:37pm On Sep 11, 2015
Ok
Re: SEYI LAW: I Never Planned To Become A Comedian by Omotayor123(f): 7:37pm On Sep 11, 2015
So wetin he for become I love his jokes though... Calamari... Eje Elede lol grin
Re: SEYI LAW: I Never Planned To Become A Comedian by makingsense(m): 7:39pm On Sep 11, 2015
Lesson: what has already planned my LIFE
Re: SEYI LAW: I Never Planned To Become A Comedian by cozy7(m): 7:40pm On Sep 11, 2015
Nice comedian, but y is he squeezing his face like cow way swallow mango?
Re: SEYI LAW: I Never Planned To Become A Comedian by Erave: 6:48pm On Sep 14, 2015
LMAO. That is why he is a comedian.
cozy7:
Nice comedian, but y is he squeezing his face like cow way swallow mango?

(1) (Reply)

Omoni Oboli Looks Fierce In New Movie Promo Pictures / You’ll Be Shocked What Happened To A Man After Marathon Se.x With Girlfriend / Checkout Angela Okorie's Outfit (mar Or Nail )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.