Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Should I Relocate To Nigeria N Start My Business Or Stay Bk To Work 9-5? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Relocate To Nigeria N Start My Business Or Stay Bk To Work 9-5? (1435 Views)

NNPC Staff: Resume Before 8am Or Stay At Home / Should I Relocate?is Living Abroad Or In Abuja That Lucrative? / Do I Relocate Abroad Despite Having A Bright Career Here In Nigeria ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Relocate To Nigeria N Start My Business Or Stay Bk To Work 9-5? by Yets(f): 6:36pm On Apr 07, 2009
Being in the Fashion industry has always been a dream i've always wanted to accomplish,  I've always wanted to go into franchising but i knw im a little bit too young and have don't much experience for that so i have decided to start my own business,  Thereby giving people what they want when they want it and at very affordable prices,

Now the problem is I'm not sure if this is a good idea as im 23 and i graduate this summer and i could get a 9-5 job dat wil pay well,  but i have a passion for fashion and giving other young people like me who cannot travel abroad or just dont have the time to travel the opportunity to buy nice quality stuff,  I left nigeria at 15 and i dont really have a lot of friends in nigeria,  Do you think i wil make it in the industry

Pls i need ideas on what ladies and men desperately need in fashion,  I have been told there is not a lot of choice in workwear for the "YOUNG AND SASSY" who work 9-5 in nigeria,  The ones available are either over priced or not nice enuff,

FOR ME ITS ALL ABOUT GIVING PEOPLE THE OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE A WIDE RANGE OF CHOICE AND BUY QUALITY STUFF  AT AFFORDABLE PRICES

Thanks  grin
Re: Should I Relocate To Nigeria N Start My Business Or Stay Bk To Work 9-5? by Yets(f): 12:19pm On Apr 08, 2009
sad sad sadpls dont just read n sign out,  ur opinion would be highly appreciated,  u can even say whatever comes to ur head first,   i need advice/answers,

1 Like

Re: Should I Relocate To Nigeria N Start My Business Or Stay Bk To Work 9-5? by blacksta(m): 2:04pm On Apr 08, 2009
Why dont you follow your passion. Your questions can only and should only be answered by yourself. There too many people stuck in the 9 -5 regime going nowhere
Re: Should I Relocate To Nigeria N Start My Business Or Stay Bk To Work 9-5? by Yets(f): 2:12pm On Apr 08, 2009
i dont even enjoy it,  i once worked for hsbc full time for a yr while i took a gap year b4 startin uni,  i liked it at first then i started to hate it so i went part time after i started uni,  i quit after about a yr n a half cos i just got sick of d whole thing n i decided to quit,  i'm currently wit house of fraser which i quite like(strange innit) but i just wanted to have dat experience of workin in retail n i absolutely love it,  i'll keep prayin about it, thanks,

1 Like

Re: Should I Relocate To Nigeria N Start My Business Or Stay Bk To Work 9-5? by Tmoni(m): 3:15pm On Apr 08, 2009
Hello Yets! (if i am right, shld be Hello Yetunde, wink)

From your post, i deduce the ff

What u want to do in the Fashion Industry in Nigeria is to sell clothes in a shop/boutique (i stand corrected)
Your selling point would be different choice of clothes and more competitive prices (pls also correct me if am wrong)
U also do not have many friends back home,

Like you most people have in degree or job in something and have their hearts in sth else

With reference to the above, i would suggest you at this moment get a job for now,

Go to Nigeria (maybe on holiday) and do a bit of actual survey / analysis ( location, shop rental, cost & sundry), except you want to sell frm home or car booth, grin grin

Develop a business case for a boutique and work out the margins,

BTW, where would you source your clothes from, which stores??
Would you pay normal high street prices or you would get reduced rates except u only want to buy the clothes on Dec 26 grin

Get a new job and analyse all this issues before jumping on the ship, my opinion though

1 Like

Re: Should I Relocate To Nigeria N Start My Business Or Stay Bk To Work 9-5? by Yets(f): 3:42pm On Apr 08, 2009
Tmoni:

Hello Yets! (if i am right, shld be Hello Yetunde,  wink)

From your post, i deduce the ff

What u want to do in the Fashion Industry in Nigeria is to sell clothes in a shop/boutique (i stand corrected)
Your selling point would be different choice of clothes and more competitive prices (pls also correct me if am wrong)
U also do not have many friends back home,

Like you most people have in degree or job in something and have their hearts in sth else

With reference to the above, i would suggest you at this moment get a job for now,

Go to Nigeria (maybe on holiday) and do a bit of actual survey / analysis ( location, shop rental, cost & sundry), except you want to sell frm home or car booth,  grin grin

Develop a business case for a boutique and work out the margins,

BTW, where would you source your clothes from, which stores??
Would you pay normal high street prices or you would get reduced rates except u only want to buy the clothes on Dec 26 grin

Get a new job and analyse all this issues before jumping on the ship, my opinion though

Yeh ur right, its Yetunde,  smiley Thanks for ur opinion,  ive started my research and i have a pilot study to conduct in may which wil help in making up my mind on whether to open a boutique or not,  I cant just jump like dat,  I have a few friends from secondary skool but i believe word of mouth,friends of friends and a lot of marketing  helps a lot.

Retailing is all about ur marketing strategies, uniqueness, creativity, active listening, pr, patience, sincerity, having a positive attitude and motivation etc dat makes u stand out from d others as there is a lot of competition out there.

Like i said its all about providing wot people want at very affordable prices,  i intend to stock mostly US and UK high street fashion,  the ones that r mostly demanded and i also plan on introducing others that r not yet known,  I wil have a market for everyone,   Hope my research goes well,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Relocate To Nigeria N Start My Business Or Stay Bk To Work 9-5? by abbeydot: 6:57pm On Apr 08, 2009
@ poster,

Nice advice from the Tmoni. Best advice so far.

U could get in touch with my firm for in-depth market research/survey and probably product testing.
We offer General professional business development solutions.

Call or text 08034038803 or irconsult84@yahoo.com for further details.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Re: Should I Relocate To Nigeria N Start My Business Or Stay Bk To Work 9-5? by blacksta(m): 12:42pm On Apr 09, 2009
Yets!:

Yeh ur right, its Yetunde,  smiley Thanks for ur opinion,  ive started my research and i have a pilot study to conduct in may which wil help in making up my mind on whether to open a boutique or not,  I cant just jump like dat,  I have a few friends from secondary skool but i believe word of mouth,friends of friends and a lot of marketing  helps a lot.

Retailing is all about ur marketing strategies, uniqueness, creativity, active listening, pr, patience, sincerity, having a positive attitude and motivation etc dat makes u stand out from d others as there is a lot of competition out there.

Like i said its all about providing wot people want at very affordable prices,  i intend to stock mostly US and UK high street fashion,  the ones that r mostly demanded and i also plan on introducing others that r not yet known,  I wil have a market for everyone,   Hope my research goes well,

Here you go.

you see you have started answering your questions.  In Nigeria i am sure you will do very well , Customer Service is very poor and in some places it does't even exist .  The appettie for foreihn goods is very high esp from u.s or u.k
Re: Should I Relocate To Nigeria N Start My Business Or Stay Bk To Work 9-5? by Yets(f): 2:01pm On Apr 09, 2009
blacksta:

Here you go.

you see you have started answering your questions.  In Nigeria i am sure you will do very well , Customer Service is very poor and in some places it does't even exist .  The appettie for foreihn goods is very high esp from u.s or u.k

thanks peeps

1 Like

Re: Should I Relocate To Nigeria N Start My Business Or Stay Bk To Work 9-5? by blacksta(m): 2:13pm On Apr 09, 2009
Yets!:

thanks peeps

you are welcome
Re: Should I Relocate To Nigeria N Start My Business Or Stay Bk To Work 9-5? by Yets(f): 2:20pm On Apr 09, 2009
abbeydot:

@ poster,

Nice advice from the Tmoni. Best advice so far.

U could get in touch with my firm for in-depth market research/survey and probably product testing.
We offer General professional business development solutions.

Call or text 08034038803 or irconsult84@yahoo.com for further details.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

thanks, wil be in touch soon
Re: Should I Relocate To Nigeria N Start My Business Or Stay Bk To Work 9-5? by Tmoni(m): 11:04am On Apr 10, 2009
Pls dnt call me the eternal pessimist, but

1. If u are 23 then most of your friends would be in the 22 - 25 age bracket and at this age in Nigeria, 8 out of 10 people would be in University, and would not really wear "9-5 clothes"

Yets!:

Yeh ur right, its Yetunde, smiley Thanks for ur opinion, ive started my research and i have a pilot study to conduct in may which wil help in making up my mind on whether to open a boutique or not, I cant just jump like dat, I have a few friends from secondary skool but i believe word of mouth,friends of friends and a lot of marketing helps a lot.

Like i said its all about providing wot people want at very affordable prices, i intend to stock mostly US and UK high street fashion, the ones that r mostly demanded and i also plan on introducing others that r not yet known, I wil have a market for everyone, Hope my research goes well,

2. I deeply appreciate the fact that ur experience with House of Frasier is coming to light by listing all main aspects of retailing but a company/ shop / boutique has to be of a particular strenght b4 it can "EFFECTIVELY" execute all this traits,

I think a lot depends on the financial might / capital which in which u start this venture.

Kudos to you though cos at 23, all i wanted was to get outta sch and stay at home,

I hope ur survey goes well and the business picks up cos at6 least, u would provide employment for some peeps

PS- which of the House of frasiers are u working and which department so I can come undercover and see how you perform, lol

(1) (Reply)

Prospects For Material Science Engineers In Nigeria! / Firstbank Of Nigeria Begins Mass Dismisal Of Employees / Nigeria Police Academy Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.