Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,447 members, 7,826,717 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

How Do You React To This Question? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Do You React To This Question? (628 Views)

Nigerians React To Oba Of Lagos Palace Fire Incident / Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) / ‘respect Yourself And Sit At The Palace’ Nigerians React To Ooni Of Ife’s Privat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You React To This Question? by Chimonie(m): 8:51am On Sep 12, 2015
My learned friends, people wey sabi english, please how do you react to this question especially when asked by a colleague in the office or a casual friend - how was your night?

Is that also a pleasantry or what? What exactly can you do to better my night if it wasn't good as an answer to your question?
Re: How Do You React To This Question? by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 12, 2015
Chimonie:
My learned friends, people wey sabi english, please how do you react to this question especially when asked by a colleague in the office or a casual friend - how was your night?

Is that also a pleasantry or what? What exactly can you do to better my night if it wasn't good as an answer to your question?

is an act of showing concern over ones night rest.

when being asked such question you simply say, 'My night was good, I thank God.'

1 Like

Re: How Do You React To This Question? by uboma(m): 10:33am On Sep 12, 2015
Personally, I don't ask the question, how was your night?

A better way to frame the question should be, did you get enough rest?

2 Likes

Re: How Do You React To This Question? by Adesiji77: 10:50am On Sep 12, 2015
uboma:
Personally, I don't ask the question, how was your night?

A better way to frame the question should be, did you get enough rest?

On a lighter mood, sometime ago, a female colleague was asked same question.

She responded with a stern face: "Why would you ask a married woman that kind of question? What's your business with what I did during the night?"

Everyone in the office bursted out laughing, including the married colleague. The message has been passed.

Personally, I prefer "Hope you rested well"...."Hope you slept well" etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You React To This Question? by uboma(m): 11:20am On Sep 12, 2015
Adesiji77:

On a lighter mood, sometime ago, a female colleague was asked same question.

She responded with a stern face: "Why would you ask a married woman that kind of question? What's your business with what I did during the night?"

Everyone in the office bursted out laughing, including the married colleague. The message has been passed.

Personally, I prefer "Hope you rested well"...."Hope you slept well" etc

Lol.

And it is only in Nigeria, you will hear the question, how was your night?

I wonder where we got that from.

1 Like

Re: How Do You React To This Question? by Chimonie(m): 11:42am On Sep 12, 2015
I really wonder where we got that from. Even though it might be an innocent question, it should best be framed on knowing if the individual had enough rest or slept well. Especially if the individual looks weary that monrning.
Re: How Do You React To This Question? by Cuddlebugie(f): 12:14pm On Sep 12, 2015
Just as there is UK and US english, we have our very own 'Nigerian english'.........
I've always seen the question as invasive. Like, why do you want to know about my night? Is it supposed to be any of your damn business? I prefer being asked if i'm a virgin to asking about my night

I give whoever asks the annoying question a fake smile and nod.....that's if it's an elderly person, if not, I just walk away and pretend I didn't hear you speak

(1) (Reply)

A DOPE Interview / Two Ghanaians Arrested In Amsterdam For Pounding Fufu On 7th Floor / Olu Of Warri Pays Historic Visit To Ijaw Monarch.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.