Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,060 members, 7,818,178 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. - Business (63) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. (388106 Views)

7 Must-have Qualities If You Want To Succeed In Any Online Business / 7 Ultimate Ways To Succeed In Your Online Business!!!!! / Withdraw From Fiverr, Paypal, Upwork, Freelancer, Elance, With Confidence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (190) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Emmyk(m): 10:24am On Nov 08, 2016
keishik:

I assumed 1,000 bucks = $1,000. I always see the glass half full. But ₦1,000? shocked shocked
Ahahaha. grin cheesy grin
Won't you run away if someone wants to pay you #400,000+ for writing a 1000 word article? grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by stagger: 11:23am On Nov 08, 2016
gensteejay:

No disrespect to stagger, but paying N1000 (about $2.5) for a 1000-word article is slave labor, gross exploitation.

How much do you pay your security man? Or your driver, or your cook or domestic helps? Have you not seen graduates who are gardeners and bus conductors?

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 08, 2016
stagger:

How much do you pay your security man? Or your driver, or your cook or domestic helps? Have you not seen graduates who are gardeners and bus conductors?

With due respect, your tone is condescending. Comparing the job of a writer to those menial jobs is a grave insult.

In writing, one has to expend more of mental energy than physical one. Writing entails critical and analytical thinking as well as stellar research ability. A good writer must be familiar with grammar rules too.
All these require reading and studying for a writer to achieve tremendous result.

It is common knowledge that reading, critical thinking are acts which an average Nigerian finds difficult to engage in. Hence, putting those menial jobs you mentioned in the same category as writing is not only disparaging but also insulting.

It is not every graduate that's willing to do slave labor; and saying "[h]ave you not seen graduates who are gardeners and bus conductors?" doesn't make such notion the norm.

12 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by stagger: 12:05pm On Nov 08, 2016
gensteejay:

With due respect, your tone is condescending. Comparing the job of a writer to those menial jobs is a grave insult.

In writing, one has expend more of mental energy than physical. Writing entails critical and analytical thinking as well as stellar research ability. A good writer must be familiar with grammar rules too.
All these require reading and studying for a writer to achieve tremendous result.

It is common knowledge that reading, critical thinking are acts which an average Nigerian finds difficult to engage in. Hence, putting those menial jobs you mentioned in the same category as writing is not only disparaging but also insulting.

It is not every graduate that's willing to do slave labor; and saying "[h]ave you not seen graduates who are gardeners and bus conductors?" doesn't make such notion the norm.

So you think as a graduate, you are more important than those people who slave for you in your house as security men or gardeners or househelps?

Are you aware that Mike Adenuga was once a taxi driver? Do you know that in one of the banks where I now maintain a very active domiciliary account, I have once sold stuff to bankers with unimaginable insults by gatemen and other bankers, many of whom now answer "sir" to me?

People like you do not understand that life is in stages and phases. A graduate is not more important in a society than a menial worker. That is why countries like Germany that have understood this have structured their societies to harness everyone's strengths and they are soaring high.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 08, 2016
stagger:

So you think as a graduate, you are more important than those people who slave for you in your house as security men or gardeners or househelps?

Are you aware that Mike Adenuga drove a taxi once in the streets of New York to survive? Do you know that in one of the banks where I now maintain a very active domiciliary account, I have once sold stuff to bankers with unimaginable insults by gatemen and other bankers, many of whom now answer "sir" to me?

People like you do not understand that life is in stages and phases. A graduate is not more important in a society than a menial worker. That is why countries like Germany that have understood this have structured their societies to harness everyone's strengths and they are soaring high.
Normally, I should ignore such a post filled with fallacies and empty argument as yours. But I wouldn't; so you think I should spend more than a decade of my life obtaining education just to take a two-dollar job from proud folks like you.

You are always quick to cast aspersion on any Nigerian using a foreign profile for their freelance service. You want a high-quality article and are not ready to pay the consumerate price. Can you offer such a low rate to an American or British writer? Talk of double-standard.

It is people like you(Indians,Pakistanis are in your ilk) who force honest freelancers to fake their identities on the internet. Not that I support this act, but I must call a spade a spade and say no to exploitation.

Truly, life is in stages. However, paying at least N1500 for a 1000-word article is a fair deal.

Your posts here reek of arrogance.

11 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by stagger: 12:27pm On Nov 08, 2016
gensteejay:

Normally, I should ignore such a post filled with fallacies and empty argument as yours. But I wouldn't; so you think I should spend more than a decade of my life obtaining education just to take a two-dollar job from proud folks like you.

You are always quick to cast aspersion on any Nigerian using a foreign profile for their freelance service. You want a high-quality article and are not ready to pay the consumerate price. Can you offer such a low rate to an American or British writer? Talk of double-standard.

It is people like (Indians,Pakistanis are in your ilk) who force honest freelancers to fake their identities on the internet. Not that I support this act, but I must call a spade a spade and say no to exploitation.

Truly, life is in stages. However, paying at least N1500 for a 1000-word article is a fair deal.

Your posts here reek of arrogance.

I frankly do not think that any American or British writer is better than a Nigerian writer. No Brit or Yankee speaks or writes English better than I do. If they are your yardsticks, they are not mine. Sorry.

That is why I fly my proudly Nigerian flag everywhere.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 12:33pm On Nov 08, 2016
I use my real identity too and believe once you are highly skilled, you will get jobs at good rates. I also make sure I avoid clients looking for slave labor.

5 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Gmajor(m): 12:35pm On Nov 08, 2016
stagger:

I frankly do not think that any American or British writer is better than a Nigerian writer. No Brit or Yankee speaks or writes English better than I do. If they are your yardsticks, they are not mine. Sorry.

You can offer the Yankee guys the job.

6 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 08, 2016
stagger:

Chairman, then go give the brits and yankees your $2 for 1000 words.

You goofed, and they pointed it out, yet you are jumping from one pillar to another.

If you want a job to the standards of security men, which you equate to graduates, then fine. But don't come tomorrow complaining graduates are lazy cos you get a low-quality job from them.

It is on this same thread we encourage each other to excel and be honest, yet in actions, we want to reverse.

7 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by stagger: 12:48pm On Nov 08, 2016
MULLAH123:

Chairman, then go give the brits and yankees your $2 for 1000 words.

You goofed, and they pointed it out, yet you are jumping from one pillar to another.

If you want a job to the standards of security men, which you equate to graduates, then fine. But don't come tomorrow complaining graduates are lazy cos you get a low-quality job from them.

It is on this same thread we encourage each other to excel and be honest, yet in actions, we want to reverse.

Drinking panadol for other people's headaches. I have gotten several applications and will start the selection soon. So you can jump into the lagoon. Case closed.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Neduzze5(m): 1:14pm On Nov 08, 2016
My best local client here remains Topsquino.... Baba, I hail you ooo!! Once another job show, abeg no forget to reason me as the matter dey be ooo.

Also, I won't forget to mention Adinije... Sweetest lady on ground, even though I dey fall her hands sometimes sha. But na still we we.

There's another guy, but I've forgotten his Nairaland username.

Kudos to you all for your great rates.

However, I won't end without reaching out to Oga Stagger.

Biko, ejoor, if you need quality articles, pay quality money. Some people will still reach out to you, especially with the discrimination that goes on at Upwork.

However, to whom much is given, much is equally expected. Try add small money ontop that amount biko.

Off to Upwork...
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by stagger: 2:00pm On Nov 08, 2016
Neduzze5:
My best local client here remains Topsquino.... Baba, I hail you ooo!! Once another job show, abeg no forget to reason me as the matter dey be ooo.

Also, I won't forget to mention Adinije... Sweetest lady on ground, even though I dey fall her hands sometimes sha. But na still we we.

There's another guy, but I've forgotten his Nairaland username.

Kudos to you all for your great rates.

However, I won't end without reaching out to Oga Stagger.

Biko, ejoor, if you need quality articles, pay quality money. Some people will still reach out to you, especially with the discrimination that goes on at Upwork.

However, to whom much is given, much is equally expected. Try add small money ontop that amount biko.

Off to Upwork...

Articles are in categories and degrees. I pay as high as N3,500 to N5,000 for specialty articles but these require a great deal of experience and know-how. You cannot compare an SEO article with a general article. Pay can never be the same. How many people can boast of experience in SEO specialty articles that can pass Google Penguin updates for SEO ranking?

How many people can prepare conversion scripts for lead generation campaigns? These are also writing projects but they are highly specialized and not for any Tom, Dick and Harry. Those who need more pay for articles need to develop the skill-set that goes with it. It is as simple as that.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by curatorX: 3:26pm On Nov 08, 2016
stagger:

Articles are in categories and degrees. I pay as high as N3,500 to N5,000 for specialty articles but these require a great deal of experience and know-how. You cannot compare an SEO article with a general article. Pay can never be the same. How many people can boast of experience in SEO specialty articles that can pass Google Penguin updates for SEO ranking?

How many people can prepare conversion scripts for lead generation campaigns? These are also writing projects but they are highly specialized and not for any Tom, Dick and Harry. Those who need more pay for articles need to develop the skill-set that goes with it. It is as simple as that.

You are just a fvck boy! Believe me!

I have never met an arrogant and a monumental illiterate like you.

You deserves to be treated as a buffoon.

P.S: I once respected you.

4 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by curatorX: 3:27pm On Nov 08, 2016
keishik:

Lol, I actually saw it the other way round, like it was most likely $1,000 as ₦1,000 would be unreasonable. Willful naivety you may call it.

When I read you quoting him for the job, I was puzzled. I quietly asked myself, "which kain money this kei
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by keishik: 3:28pm On Nov 08, 2016
stagger:

Much as I've tried to ignore your arrogance, I just can't stand your level of condescension. What exactly do you take us for? What on earth makes you think you're more qualified in any capacity than anybody on this thread? An Indian, yes, the much maligned Indians is currently offering me $100 weekly for a TWO PAGE blog article with all courtesy and respect but here you are, a fellow Nigerian, offering ₦1,000 for a 1,000 word researched piece after a screening test with all the arrogance and condescension of a Nazi death camp warden!
Is it not enough that folks on here have been insulted with your offer that you've now taken it to the level of outright scorn? I've tried to think of a single contribution you've made to this thread and I'm yet to pick out anything tangible but yet you plod around flaunting your real or imagined wealth and status expecting everyone to bow in obeisance? For what exactly? IMHO you're the poorest person in here with absolutely nothing (tangible or intangible) to offer anyone and if it be true that poverty is a state of mind, I can't think of anyone poorer than the scrooge with a supposed "very active dorm account" offering ₦1000 for a 1,000 word article.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by curatorX: 3:30pm On Nov 08, 2016
keishik:

Lol, I actually saw it the other way round, like it was most likely $1,000 as ₦1,000 would be unreasonable. Willful naivety you may call it.

When I read you quoting him for the job, I was puzzled. I quietly asked myself "which kain money this keishik nigga dey look for", but I held my thoughts private.

Lol, let's say no to slave labor. At least, this is a gathering of substantial numbers of professional freelancers.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Neduzze5(m): 3:33pm On Nov 08, 2016
Funny turnaround. Ernest where is you oooo... Kikiki.

You people should not fight sha.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by curatorX: 3:36pm On Nov 08, 2016
[quote. [/quote]

That Stagger is a pure joke. I regret ever reading his comments on Nairaland.

He insulted my intelligence and my self-esteem. What a fuckery of the highest order!

Cc: 3rnest
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by igboboy3(m): 3:50pm On Nov 08, 2016
I don't know why everybody is jumping on stagger's head.

If you don't like his rates, then don't apply.
The writing market is a free market, nobody forces anybody to do anything. If he doesn't get any offer at his rates, then market economics will force him to increase his offer. Not everybody sees it as slave labour. I once got an offer to write 2000 words for 1500 naira; I simply rejected the offer and somebody else took up the job with gratitude.

For all we know, some people have already snapped up his offer ( and they'll probably deliver quality work too)

Like I said before, this is a market. Whatever service you are offering, somebody will offer it at a lower price! Don't hype yourself unnecessarily.

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by stagger: 3:52pm On Nov 08, 2016
curatorX:

You are just a fvck boy! Believe me!

I have never met an arrogant and an monumental illiterate like you.

You deserves to be treated as a buffoon.

P.S: I once respected you.

Take your "respect" and shove it up your ass. When did it ever feed me? Idiot!
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by stagger: 3:55pm On Nov 08, 2016
keishik:

Much as I've tried to ignore your arrogance, I just can't stand your level of condescension. What exactly do you take us for? What on earth makes you think you're more qualified in any capacity than anybody on this thread? An Indian, yes, the much maligned Indians is currently offering me $100 weekly for a TWO PAGE blog article with all courtesy and respect but here you are, a fellow Nigerian, offering ₦1,000 for a 1,000 word researched piece after a screening test with all the arrogance and condescension of a Nazi death camp warden!
Is it not enough that folks on here have been insulted with your offer that you've now taken it to the level of outright scorn? I've tried to think of a single contribution you've made to this thread and I'm yet to pick out anything tangible but yet you plod around flaunting your real or imagined wealth and status expecting everyone to bow in obeisance? For what exactly? IMHO you're the poorest person in here with absolutely nothing (tangible or intangible) to offer anyone and if it be true that poverty is a state of mind, I can't think of anyone poorer than the scrooge with a supposed "very active dorm account" offering ₦1000 for a 1,000 word article.

From your comments, I think you are a piece of bird shit.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 08, 2016
igboboy3:

The writing market is a free market, nobody forces anybody to do anything. If he doesn't get any offer at his rates, then market economics will force him to increase his offer. Not everybody sees it as slave labour. I once got an offer to write 2000 words for 1500 naira; I simply rejected the offer and somebody else took up the job with gratitude.

For all we know, some people have already snapped up his offer ( and they'll probably deliver quality work too)

Like I said before, this is a market. Whatever service you are offering, somebody will offer it at a lower price! Don't hype yourself unnecessarily.

You don't get it bro. The purpose of this thread is to give advice and assist one another on how to make it. That makes it legitimate for us to point out when we see adverts for slave labour. I would NEVER EVER EVER advise anyone to work for that rate. IMO, it is better to spend the time sleeping than to type 1000 words for $2.

Now, the reason why I and others are particular about this is that it's Stagger, the ever-arrogant and condescending fellow (you can check his contributions to this thread from day 1) who has been flaunting his success and encouraging others to fly the Nigerian flag and make it like he (allegedly) has. This kind of under pricing is EXACTLY the reason why people change their identities online, and here he is perpetuating the same thing.

He's talking about paying people 3,500 - 5,000 Naira for 1,000 word articles as if those are life-changing amounts. That's about $10 and that's what he wants to pay for top of the line Penguin compliant SEO writing grin grin grin. Everything about you is laughable, Mr Stagger.

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by 3RNEST(m): 4:10pm On Nov 08, 2016
[quote author=curatorX post=50869551]
Oga why u dey CC me..??
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 4:20pm On Nov 08, 2016
igboboy3:

Your submission is logical and I am inclined to agree with you. But this person, stagger, had previously boasted of being a 'rich' freelancer who would give free money to students.

Ab initio, when the OP opened this thread to help others he, stagger, never missed an opportunity to display his arrogant attitude nauseatingly. He would claim he's been in this business for long and would boast of 'riches' no one knows whether they are real or imagined.

Even then, people sought his assistance to give some advice to them; they asked him for his niche. He couldn't offer anyone of them a sound advice, didn't reveal his niche.

He, however, gave them one thing and has become known on this thread for that thing: He is always available to offer derogatory remarks in condemning freelancers here who has made one error or another in their freelance business.

He always belabors them, displaying unmerited arrogance, discouraging other kind ace freelancers in giving tyros in the business free advice and tips.

For such a 'prosperous' freelancer, giving a fair deal to writers -- who he wants to give jobs to -- is not unexpected. But clearly, this is a Herculean act for him; he can only offer them what he's best known for -- disparaging remarks.

Only an half-baked graduate can mention Nigerian graduates and writers in the same breath as security men, cooks, inter alios.

9 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by 3RNEST(m): 4:32pm On Nov 08, 2016
Neduzze5:
Funny turnaround. Ernest where is you oooo... Kikiki.

You people should not fight sha.
which Ernest u dey call??
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Neduzze5(m): 4:47pm On Nov 08, 2016
3RNEST:

which Ernest u dey call??

Na your own. You no go like chook mouth small??
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Neduzze5(m): 4:49pm On Nov 08, 2016
gensteejay:

Your submission is logical and I am inclined to agree with you. But this person, stagger, had previously boasted of being a 'rich' freelancer who would give free money to students.

Ab initio, when the OP opened this thread to help others he, stagger, never missed an opportunity to display his arrogant attitude nauseatingly. He would claim he's been in this business for long and would boast of 'riches' no one knows whether they are real or imagined.

Even then, people sought his assistance to give some advice to them; they asked him for his niche. He couldn't offer anyone of them a sound advice, didn't reveal his niche.

He, however, gave them one thing and has become known on this thread for that thing: He is always available to offer derogatory remarks in condemning freelancers here who has made one error or another in their freelance business.

He always belabors them, displaying unmerited arrogance, discouraging other kind ace freelancers in giving tyros in the business free advice and tips.

For such a 'prosperous' freelancer, giving a fair deal to writers -- who he wants to give jobs to -- is not unexpected. But clearly, this is a Herculean act for him; he can only offer them what he's best known for -- disparaging remarks.

Only an half-baked graduate can mention Nigerian graduates and writers in the same breath as security men, cooks, inter alios.

Nwanne supu!! You go school abeg. See grammar na. Choi, make I go carry my dictionary biko.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 4:51pm On Nov 08, 2016
Neduzze5:

Nwanne supu!! You go school abeg. See grammar na. Choi, make I go carry my dictionary biko.
Lol.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by stagger: 5:05pm On Nov 08, 2016
gensteejay:

Only a half baked Nigerian graduate will think he is of more importance than a security man, a cook, etc. What do you have to offer society that should warrant you being paid more than these people? I have a friend who is a graduate and a chef who makes far more money than you can ever smell in your miserable life.

And yes, if condemning those who use false identities to work is what you consider disparaging remarks, it is a cloak I will glady wear anytime. I will continue to condemn it to the highest heavens. I am a believer in "the process". People must prove themselves. And if you want to earn $1,000 an article, you must be prepared to work your way to that level. It is not handed to anyone on a platter of gold and read my lips: Stagger will hand it to no one.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 08, 2016
stagger:

Only a half baked Nigerian graduate will think he is of more importance than a security man, a cook, etc. What do you have to offer society that should warrant you being paid more than these people? I have a friend who is a graduate and a chef who makes far more money than you can ever smell in your miserable life.

And yes, if condemning those who use false identities to work is what you consider disparaging remarks, it is a cloak I will glady wear anytime. I will continue to condemn it to the highest heavens. I am a believer in "the process". People must prove themselves. And if you want to earn $1,000 an article, you must be prepared to work your way to that level. It is not handed to anyone on a platter of gold and read my lips: Stagger will hand it to no one.

Baba, I don't do back-and-forth argument unnecessarily and won't reply you any further. Your response is as expected.

I hate double-standard, undue display of arrogance. I leave you with this quote by Mahatma Gandhi; "be the change you wish to see in the world."

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 08, 2016
stagger:

Stop being puerile. You don't know that his life is miserable. From the way you're sounding, and offering $2 per 1000 words to writers who can
stagger:
write in solid English without being micromanaged
, you're the one who seems to be living a cheap, miserable life.

No one is saying you should pay new writers what Forbes pays, but ON NO CONDITION is it right to pay a writer $2 per 1000. That's exploitation. Any writer who would accept such an amount is not worth hiring in the first place.

5 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by stagger: 5:32pm On Nov 08, 2016
gensteejay:

Baba, I don't do back-and-forth argument unnecessarily and won't reply you any further. Your response is as expected.

I hate double-standard, undue display of arrogance. I leave you with this quote by Mahatma Gandhi; "be the change you wish to see in the world."

I won't bother to even respond to the koonbey fellow because he is a non-event. I also would not bother responding to you anymore. I have got applications and from there I will pick my pool of writers to take on the projects I have.

I will end by saying it again. People have to work their way up the ladder and start from the ground floor up. If you feel too big to earn $2 per 1,000 words, then you should move on. Go and earn your millions elsewhere as a Nigerian graduate who is too superior to a cook or a gardener.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (190) (Reply)

Youwin Business Competition 2013 / Simple Secret Of Buying Stuff At Idumota Market Lagos / Making Regular Income Publishing Amazon Kindle Ebooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.