Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,420 members, 7,861,180 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:02 AM

Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay (684 Views)

Cash Crunch: Senators, Reps Members Abandon Chambers In Search Of Money / Cash Crunch Hits APC As Buhari Advises Party To Look Inward For Funding / N18,000 Minimum Wage Though Not Enough, We Won't Slash Workers' Salary- Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by dridowu: 9:24am On Sep 15, 2015
The Peoples Democratic Party is broke and it has cut the salaries of its workers at the national headquarters by 35 per cent, The PUNCH has learnt. The leadership of the former ruling PDP, our correspondent learnt, decided to slash the salaries of the workers because of the dwindling income of the party, which was ousted from power barely four months ago after it had controlled power at the centre for 16 years. Some of the workers at the party’s Wadata House national secretariat in Abuja told our correspondent on Monday that they had agreed to the cut. They however warned that with the salary cut, the members of the party’s National Working Committee must not go ahead with the decision to reduce the party’s workforce by 50 per cent. They told our correspondent that they received 65 per cent of their normal monthly salaries in August. One of the workers, who asked not to be named, said, “We have received 65 per cent of our normal salaries for the month of August due to the claim by the NWC members that the party is broke. “We can as well attest to the fact that the party is broke because all what we made during the elections had been squandered. “Now, it is not that we are happy to have received the salary cut, but we all agreed that instead of them sacking us, let’s see what we could do with the salary cut.’’ The PDP National Secretary, Prof. Wale Oldipo, in a memo dated July 29, 2015, to all directors, with reference number PS/DD/HOD/SAs/PAs and Establishment Staff, had said that the party would sack 50 per cent of its workers. Oladipo’s memo was titled, “Re- organisation and restructuring of staff at the national secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party.” He said the decision to cut down on the number of staff, as well as other measures, were taken at the 406th meeting of the NWC, where he said the report “on the reorganisation and restructuring of staff at the national secretariat” and decisions were approved. He had also said that the sacking of workers would be affected notwithstanding the cut in their pay. He listed the decision taken by the NWC to include “reduction of the allowance of all NWC members by 50 per cent and reduction in the number of security personnel attached to the national officers by 50 per cent” and “reduction of the salaries and allowances of all staff (Establishment and Staff of NWC members) by 50 per cent effective August, 2015.” The other decision of the party, Oladipo said, included the “abolition of Research Directorate and transfer of its functions to the Peoples Democratic Institute.” “Establishment staff who would remain are required to obtain individual letter of revalidation from their state chapters within one month of this circular to their suitability for service at the national secretariat,” Oladipo’s memo added. The workers are however saying the NWC must not close the secretariat during the forthcoming Eid-el Kabir break, saying that the workers had agreed to abide by the public holiday as declared by the Federal Government. A PDP worker said, “The NWC is toying with the idea of closing the secretariat, and asked us to go home and bring letters from the party at the state level. “They want to do it in such a way that anyone who doesn’t have such a letter should not return to work. We won’t agree to that if that is their plan.” Oladipo told our correspondent in a telephone interview on Monday that the need to cut cost necessitated the reduction in salaries. He said the action didn’t affect only the workers but that personal staff and emoluments of members of the NWC had also been cut by at least 50 per cent. He said, “We are restructuring the party. You know we are in opposition now and both the workers and the management have resolved their differences amicably. “Like I said, we are in opposition. We run the party from contributions from our members and a lot of them are now demoralised and that is why we have to cut cost. “The small running cost for NWC members has been cut by half and our personal employees have also been reduced by half. “Even with this, we are determined to give Nigerians a credible alternative in 2019. We are focused and we are doing everything to refocus the party.” Meanwhile, some leaders of the party will be meeting in Abuja on Tuesday (today) to decide on how to organise a national conference aimed at reforming the new opposition party. A former Minister of Information, Prof. Jerry Gana, is the chairman of the organising committee of the party’s reform conference. The group was said to have received its mandate from the National Caucus of the party and it’s Board of Trustees. According to Gana, some of the issues to be considered by the committee include the best ways to “re-ignite the noble ideals and good image of the PDP and restore the party’s core values and principles.” The committee, he added, would also generate fresh ideas on “people- oriented programmes for ensuring good governance, balanced development, human security, social justice, equity and fairness.” A member of the committee, who is also a member of the party’s BoT, Chief Ebenezer Babatope, told our correspondent that the party would organise a national conference in October. “The October conference would be an all-inclusive one whereby issues that would help in moving the party forward would be discussed and sorted out,” Babatope said. http://www.punchng.com/news/cash-crunch-forces-pdp-to-slash-workers-pay/

lalasticlala
Re: Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by 1stGenius(m): 9:25am On Sep 15, 2015
No star reigns forever. PDP my guy,na so dem take send you on an exile;of when to come back,none knows.
SAY Hello to 1stGenius.
Re: Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by Janeyy: 9:26am On Sep 15, 2015
naso
Re: Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by dridowu: 9:28am On Sep 15, 2015
The PDP National Secretary, Prof. Wale
Oldipo, in a memo dated July 29, 2015,
to all directors, with reference number
PS/DD/HOD/SAs/PAs and Establishment
Staff, had said that the party would
sack 50 per cent of its workers.

So sad some wailers would be made jobless.
Meaning that PDP have been surviving on 'Stealing is not corruption "
Now that stealing is corruption they are going on extinction

1 Like

Re: Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by benedictnsi(m): 9:31am On Sep 15, 2015
Isorite
Re: Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by drberry(m): 9:36am On Sep 15, 2015
grin Hahaha... I guess there's no more money to embezzle and run the party with anymore. Issorite.

#TeamWailers. grin

PS: PDP funny sha. Playing politics with their own staffs.
Re: Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by donholy28(m): 9:51am On Sep 15, 2015
Money don finish
Re: Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by aminho(m): 9:59am On Sep 15, 2015
alot of nairalanders to become jobless again
Re: Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by Nobody: 10:01am On Sep 15, 2015
Good day friends, Please Disregard the Rumour circulating in social media that President Buhari Short-Listed My Name in His Ministerial List, Though He Called Me, But I Turned-Down The Offer. Thanks for your concern.
Have a fruitful day ahead.. angry angry angry
Re: Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:11am On Sep 15, 2015
This is just a temporal setback. The PDP is restructuring and shall rise again come 2019.

Power to the People
Re: Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:12am On Sep 15, 2015
Na small setback grin
drberry:
grin Hahaha... I guess there's no more money to embezzle and run the party with anymore. Issorite.

#TeamWailers. grin

PS: PDP funny sha. Playing politics with their own staffs.
Re: Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by gwales: 10:32am On Sep 15, 2015
Why not, now that buhari have declared that stealing is corruption
Re: Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by drberry(m): 10:40am On Sep 15, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
This is just a temporal setback. The PDP is restructuring and shall rise again come 2019.

Power to the People

Hmm... I pray they bounce back o just that its not feasible because everyone is already deserting the party in search of greener pastures (APC).

Last week I even read that the former party chairman wants to form another party with some PDP big wigs. So I'm not seeing the ex-ruling party resurrecting in the nearest future.
Re: Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:50am On Sep 15, 2015
Stay calm! PDP shall rise again

drberry:

Hmm... I pray they bounce back o just that its not feasible because everyone is already deserting the party in search of greener pastures (APC).

Last week I even read that the former party chairman wants to form another party with some PDP big wigs. So I'm not seeing the ex-ruling party resurrecting in the nearest future.
Re: Cash Crunch Forces PDP To Slash Workers’ Pay by dridowu: 12:54pm On Sep 15, 2015
lalasticlala do justice

(1) (Reply)

I Traveled Abroad For Operation, APC Didn't Tell Me Sorry - Ex Benue Gov Suswam / Unforgettable Days In Secondary School. / BREAKING NEWS.Serious Fighting And Shooting Going On nw At APC Primaries Bayalsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.